FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Material possessions

Material possessions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ushroom7 OP   Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Is there anyone else who finds that having spent years acquiring "stuff", the minute you turn 50 you find you actually want to get rid of loads of it and declutter, live more minimally and certainly acquire far less?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

we moved to a smaller house last month and found we had loads of stuff we didn't need or use

It's in the garage..throw it away? No. who knows when we might need 17 usb leads or a mini kettle

Moved from a rambling five bedroomed house to a small 2 bed semi that has less cubic space than my last kitchen had. I still have boxes of unopened 'stuff' and I'm shedding as much as I can monthly.

to quote someone else's post from the other week (can't remember who, sorry), when me and the ex split, the house possessions got split 50:50 - she got the inside, i got the outside..

pretty much holds true in my case too.. but after years of saving for and buying all that stuff... now it's gone I'm really not that fussed.

I've, still got my laptop, guitars and music collection.... so i'm happy!

"

Is there anyone else who finds that having spent years acquiring "stuff", the minute you turn 50 you find you actually want to get rid of loads of it and declutter, live more minimally and certainly acquire far less?"

Oh yes yes, got rid of loads of stuff in the last couple of years..........and miss none of it

By *ushroom7 OP   Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"Moved from a rambling five bedroomed house to a small 2 bed semi that has less cubic space than my last kitchen had. I still have boxes of unopened 'stuff' and I'm shedding as much as I can monthly. "

HRT

soz

I live in a tiny house with virtually no storage so I am very good at de cluttering!

By *issNaughtyxxxWoman  over a year ago

Aberdeen

Not sure about 50 but i have major OCD and i can not keep stuff i do not use or need. I have a clear out once a week and always amazed at what i find i can put away. Love a clear out

We also live in a small cottage so storage space is not great so my clear outs are for good reason's, that's what i tell mr.naughty anyway

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

"

Is there anyone else who finds that having spent years acquiring "stuff", the minute you turn 50 you find you actually want to get rid of loads of it and declutter, live more minimally and certainly acquire far less?"

Took me till 60 but I want to get rid of everything and start again. Fed up with miss matched everything. minimal would be lovely..

By *issNaughtyxxxWoman  over a year ago

Aberdeen

Minimal but homely is perfect

I don't like cliutter and am quite minimalistic in my home. I don't have many ornaments, I like empty space.

But my bedroom is a different matter. My wardrobe is crammed, I have a walk in closet as well as a double wardrobe and I need to stop buying so many clothes. I enjoy the thrill of finding something nice but I don't need anymore.

I have loads of make up too, I've had a sort out recently but all the makeup is fairly new and I need it all

"

Decluttered when i got rid of the ex. I hard lesson life is but i learnt baggage was bad for the soul

By *ara_and_MJCouple  over a year ago

rochdale

"to quote someone else's post from the other week (can't remember who, sorry), when me and the ex split, the house possessions got split 50:50 - she got the inside, i got the outside..

pretty much holds true in my case too.. but after years of saving for and buying all that stuff... now it's gone I'm really not that fussed.

I've, still got my laptop, guitars and music collection.... so i'm happy!

"

Swap guitars for bikes and that's me too! I've decided that possessions are a bind and that as long as i can afford a mtb holiday in some outrageous terrain each yr i'm happy

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Far from decluttering, I seem to be getting more My collection of stuff for my model railway is getting larger!

I want to sell my house next year hopefully, so have been doing quite a lot of decluttering...unfortunately most of it is under me bed now

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"

i have never been materialistic,am reading Erich Froome at the moment,and agreeing with his idea that modern society is screwed up because we are more concerned with having than being

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"

i have never been materialistic,am reading Erich Froome at the moment,and agreeing with his idea that modern society is screwed up because we are more concerned with having than being

"I want to sell my house next year hopefully, so have been doing quite a lot of decluttering...unfortunately most of it is under me bed now "

Those plastic vacuum bags are fantastic space savers...;-)

Them and a thorough clear out once ayear...

I'm not sure shrink-wrapping pots n pans would terribly advantagous

I don't think it has anything to do with age, I've recently moved out and can't beleive how much rubbish I had accumulated lol x

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

When my mum died I went up into her loft and came down screaming, she had kep every box for everything she had ever bought in the last 25 years, even moving tne empty boxes when she moved. Also having to clar her house of 'junk' made me realise that you do really need to get rid of stuff.

Mind you saying that found a box which had in every card I had ever sent her from when I was a nipper and yes I have kept them

"I'm not sure shrink-wrapping pots n pans would terribly advantagous "

Beat them flat first... Simples...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im doing my bedroom at the moment ready for decorating. I have a great big cupboard on the top of the stairs that i use as a loft. That can wait till after christmas. Im also hiring a skip after christmas to put all the stuff out the sheds in. Then that will be everything done and the only stuff will be what i use

Yes when i moved out of my house recently into a room at a family members house until i move to Scotland in the new year.

i got rid of pretty much everything

Other than my work tools my computer a big flat screen telly and a things like photos etc

best thing ive ever done xx

i have collected too much stuff over the years and every so often i have to get rid of some of it. When my son moved out, i thought good now i have more space, only then i started collecting teddy bears. Then also there is my husbands stuff, i cant very well throw that away, he likes to keep things that were his mums for sentimental reasons.

» Add a new message to this topic