FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > islands with no traffic

islands with no traffic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *r n mrs happy101 OP   Couple  over a year ago

telford,shropshire

why do people stop at a an island when theres no traffic on it,or around it... !! grrr...annoying much..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"why do people stop at a an island when theres no traffic on it,or around it... !! grrr...annoying much.."

'cus they need time to put their slow-like brains in gear

You find these creatures hogging the middle lane on motorways also

telford,shropshire

yes, now thats even more annoying,lol..

road rage raaahhhhh

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"why do people stop at a an island when theres no traffic on it,or around it... !! grrr...annoying much.."

wouldn't their boat crash and possibly sink?

telford,shropshire

"why do people stop at a an island when theres no traffic on it,or around it... !! grrr...annoying much..

wouldn't their boat crash and possibly sink?"

Oh, youd luv Hemel Hempstead then,,lol

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

The same people drive at 15mph below every speed limit also! these people should only be allowed out between the hours of 1am to 5am.

"why do people stop at a an island when theres no traffic on it,or around it... !! grrr...annoying much..

Oh, youd luv Hemel Hempstead then,,lol"

I think Hemel works quite well considering we are all going the wrong way round the massive traffic island lol

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I think Hemel works quite well considering we are all going the wrong way round the massive traffic island lol"

Queue the theme from the Magic Roundabout

is that a Caribean island lol

Try the one in Swindon. They call it the Magic Roundabout. I just go as I've no idea who has right of way. Strange thing is though is that it works (;-)

By *ustyWoman  over a year ago

inverclyde

sexy ray its 6 roundabouts in one...... it fun have to say and worse if you have no idea where you are going lol i used to love it and once my friend who had no idea where she was going went round every one and was just going to the main town shopping area lol

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Even worse is this situation. Driving a tractor like I do, keeping up momentum is quite important, especially when I`ve got a heavy laden trailer hitched on. I`m approaching the roundabout - see a gap - enter the roundabout and then have to anchor on because the driver of the car I was planning to go behind has seen what I am doing stops because they think I`m going to hit them! Well I fekkin well will if they stop!!!!!!!

[Removed by poster at 04/11/11 08:41:11]

"sexy ray its 6 roundabouts in one...... it fun have to say and worse if you have no idea where you are going lol i used to love it and once my friend who had no idea where she was going went round every one and was just going to the main town shopping area lol "

Magic Rounabout in Swindon is 5 mini-roundabouts on 1 large one meaning you can go round in either direction!

I think Hemel works quite well considering we are all going the wrong way round the massive traffic island lol"

Absolutely. Works like a dream in my opinion. Scared the crap outta Siren on the one occasion I took her round it. There's another one in Swindon I believe.

The driving instructor I had was a sadist and used to make me drive round the Swindon magic roundabout.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

And even worse than those already mentioned.... the fekkers who dont fekking indicate!!!!

Its ok you tossers, I'm fekking psychic!!!

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

we've just come home from an island where the only traffic was the odd golf buggy being used as a baggage cart - was bliss

"we've just come home from an island where the only traffic was the odd golf buggy being used as a baggage cart - was bliss "

Where is this magical nirvana? My idea of bliss is that!

Saddles farm roundabout in Essex is 5 mini roundabouts round 1 big one as well taken me 3 yrs to get use to it and now the buggers are changing back to 1 big 1 I'm more confused now as 1 day it's all 5 then next it's 1 while they do the work

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Before that multi roundabout system was installed in Hemel, there would be a two mile queue of traffic at 5pm of cars coming off the main industrial estate, Maylands Avenue. That disappeared overnight but partly due to the number of people avoiding the new layout. Go there now and it moves freely and I have never seen those kind of tailbacks there since.

Mrs R was a learner driver a few years after that was put in and her instructor took her round it many times to get her used to it! I used to take her on it too… Not driving, but in the centre of the roundabout there were trees and bushes next to the small river that ran there too… Used to “take her” down by that river!

Hmmm... Is the river still in the middle?

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"we've just come home from an island where the only traffic was the odd golf buggy being used as a baggage cart - was bliss

Where is this magical nirvana? My idea of bliss is that! "

Marbul - Malaysia

"Saddles farm roundabout in Essex is 5 mini roundabouts round 1 big one as well taken me 3 yrs to get use to it and now the buggers are changing back to 1 big 1 I'm more confused now as 1 day it's all 5 then next it's 1 while they do the work "

That was my first roundabout I experienced which has you going the wrong way. I noticed the complicated looking road sign on approach and I was all

....I survived btw lol

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"sexy ray its 6 roundabouts in one...... it fun have to say and worse if you have no idea where you are going lol i used to love it and once my friend who had no idea where she was going went round every one and was just going to the main town shopping area lol

Magic Rounabout in Swindon is 5 mini-roundabouts on 1 large one meaning you can go round in either direction! "

and it works really well, must be loads of other multiple road junctions which would benefit from the same system

I think Hemel works quite well considering we are all going the wrong way round the massive traffic island lol

Absolutely. Works like a dream in my opinion. Scared the crap outta Siren on the one occasion I took her round it. There's another one in Swindon I believe."

Yes there is. There are two more in the uk... Colchester and Southend on sea.

I can understand Siren getting a little worried at the Hemel one though... It took me a good 4-5 times of using it before I stopped breaking into a cold sweat on approach lol

Read your highway code. You are supposed to stop and look to see what is approaching from the right cars coming or not. If cameras are on the junction or police around you will get nicked.

By *he BananamanMan  over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

"

You find these creatures hogging the middle lane on motorways also "

dont get me started on that!

used to find loads of them in middle lane M40 when driving back n forth to heathrow when working there,they drive blocking up all behind them and quite oblivious to it too!,they seem to drive as though stuck in a tram lines!.

Read your highway code. You are supposed to stop and look to see what is approaching from the right cars coming or not. If cameras are on the junction or police around you will get nicked. "

It doesn't say 'Stop' at a roundabout in the Highway Code.

"sexy ray its 6 roundabouts in one...... it fun have to say and worse if you have no idea where you are going lol i used to love it and once my friend who had no idea where she was going went round every one and was just going to the main town shopping area lol "

I've done that, gone around every roundabout because I did not know what the hell was going on. I've also just driven in a straight line over them as I have no idea what's going on (;-)

"sexy ray its 6 roundabouts in one...... it fun have to say and worse if you have no idea where you are going lol i used to love it and once my friend who had no idea where she was going went round every one and was just going to the main town shopping area lol

Magic Rounabout in Swindon is 5 mini-roundabouts on 1 large one meaning you can go round in either direction! "

I read your words, i get a sense of what you're saying, then I drive to a place where cars are coming at me from all directions. It's too complex for my head but I am amazed there are few crashes so people must drive carefully because it's so complicated (;_)

"Saddles farm roundabout in Essex is 5 mini roundabouts round 1 big one as well taken me 3 yrs to get use to it and now the buggers are changing back to 1 big 1 I'm more confused now as 1 day it's all 5 then next it's 1 while they do the work "

I know just how you feel. I am told we now have "Hamburger" roundabouts where a main road cuts throught he middle but everyone else has to deal with roundabouts. Whatever happened to fly overs ? (;-)

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Read your highway code. You are supposed to stop and look to see what is approaching from the right cars coming or not. If cameras are on the junction or police around you will get nicked.

It doesn't say 'Stop' at a roundabout in the Highway Code."

Quite right Frock! The lines are "Give Way" lines and as such you can drive straight out if nothing is coming! Really infuriates me when psople stop when there is nothing coming.

Yesterday on the way to drop off "'er indoors" one woman actually stopped with a car approaching at least 50 mtrs (54.16 yards!) away. She waited until the other person drove slowly to the roundabout and drove past..

Does kinda make me wonder how they passed their tests!

There i was thinking you was posting about the madives , lol no cars

"

I know just how you feel. I am told we now have "Hamburger" roundabouts where a main road cuts throught he middle but everyone else has to deal with roundabouts. Whatever happened to fly overs ? (;-)"

They`re just starting one of those on the A31 between Wimborne and Ferndown. There`s regularly queues from this rounabout back to Candam and the M27 in the summer (at least 20 miles) and local traffic cannot cross the rounabout either. I`ve taken over an hour just to travel the 1/2 mile from my work to the roundabout and often travelled in the opposite direction to take the Cookes Tour to get home! Can`t see the "improvements are going to work, especially for the A31 traffic!

By *eppersCouple  over a year ago

telford

Nice to hear it's not just a telford thing then, lol I don't suppose stopping at red lights is just a telford thing either, or lane dissapline

thats why i lets the mrs drive most of the time now as it drives me nucking fudse, i have such a low tollerance with peoples driving these days.

The one that gets my goat every time..............You're driving on the motorway and the person on the slip road next to you matches your speed and then expects you to move over or give way to them, go figure. Try find that one in the hihgway code. I'll get off me soapbox now

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Read your highway code. You are supposed to stop and look to see what is approaching from the right cars coming or not. If cameras are on the junction or police around you will get nicked. "

I think you may well find that there are not 'Stop' lines on a roundabout but 'Give Way' lines.....

As such you are required to approach a roundabout with caution and awareness of traffic approaching from the right...

But I could of course be wrong.....happy to be corrected if that is so.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"The one that gets my goat every time..............You're driving on the motorway and the person on the slip road next to you matches your speed and then expects you to move over or give way to them, go figure. Try find that one in the hihgway code. I'll get off me soapbox now "

You are right....it's just known as 'common courtesy'.....

By *he BananamanMan  over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

"The one that gets my goat every time..............You're driving on the motorway and the person on the slip road next to you matches your speed and then expects you to move over or give way to them, go figure. Try find that one in the hihgway code. I'll get off me soapbox now

You are right....it's just known as 'common courtesy'....."

common sense in my book!.

I think you may well find that there are not 'Stop' lines on a roundabout but 'Give Way' lines.....

As such you are required to approach a roundabout with caution and awareness of traffic approaching from the right...

But I could of course be wrong.....happy to be corrected if that is so."

No correction here, because roundabouts are designed to speed up traffic flow. You adjust your speed so you can intragrate with the vehicles already on the roundabout, just like you do for a motorway junction or similar. Of course, if there`s no room you slow down or stop until a space comes! Simples!

But I could of course be wrong.....happy to be corrected if that is so.

No correction here, because roundabouts are designed to speed up traffic flow. You adjust your speed so you can intragrate with the vehicles already on the roundabout, just like you do for a motorway junction or similar. Of course, if there`s no room you slow down or stop until a space comes! Simples!"

That's not actually true most roundabouts have a dashed white line at the approach to the roundabout. You are meant to bring a vehicle to a stationary stop at such road markings there for unless a mini roundabout or one without markings you are required to bring your vehicle to rest.

Bradford

Rockall

"That's not actually true most roundabouts have a dashed white line at the approach to the roundabout. You are meant to bring a vehicle to a stationary stop at such road markings there for unless a mini roundabout or one without markings you are required to bring your vehicle to rest."

A dashed white line at a junction/roundabout means "give way" to the right unless a clear road sign indicates otherwise.

A solid white line means at a junction means "stop"... handbrake to be used etc.

The poster above you was correct if you read the "integration of traffic" line as "join if your actions are not going to impede the traffic that has the right of way".

A solid eh

Bradford

"

A solid eh"

A+

God you want to try driving in Spain , I do suffer occasional "road peace" in between continuose bouts of rage

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

you would all love milton keynes....never more then 300 yes from a roundabout here....no more to be said....

"That's not actually true most roundabouts have a dashed white line at the approach to the roundabout. You are meant to bring a vehicle to a stationary stop at such road markings there for unless a mini roundabout or one without markings you are required to bring your vehicle to rest.

A dashed white line at a junction/roundabout means "give way" to the right unless a clear road sign indicates otherwise.

A solid white line means at a junction means "stop"... handbrake to be used etc.

The poster above you was correct if you read the "integration of traffic" line as "join if your actions are not going to impede the traffic that has the right of way".

A solid eh"

Wrong you are meant to bring your car to a stationary position before proceeding.

"Saddles farm roundabout in Essex is 5 mini roundabouts round 1 big one as well taken me 3 yrs to get use to it and now the buggers are changing back to 1 big 1 I'm more confused now as 1 day it's all 5 then next it's 1 while they do the work

That was my first roundabout I experienced which has you going the wrong way. I noticed the complicated looking road sign on approach and I was all

....I survived btw lol"

First time i hit this roundabout i was following a friend and didnt even notice what i was doing was only on way back from friends and alone that the panic set it

"Wrong you are meant to bring your car to a stationary position before proceeding. "

Go on... have a little read of the Highway Code and get back to me with the same answer!

Copy n paste what it says... post that section in reply to me on this thread if you like (it's free to look at on-line).

......or don't waste your time... I am married to a qualified driving instructor

Yip, without lookin it up,, "approach with caution" rings a bell with me, nowt about stopping totally.

By *ncutgemMan  over a year ago

Bath ish

Imaginge this little island with no traffic bliss

The highway code also states 'you should always drive in the middle lane of a motorway even if the nearside lane is empty.

» Add a new message to this topic