FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > eBay advice

eBay advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Please offer any valid advice on the following. It’s hypothetical. A buyer bids on a car listed as “ great condition and faultless”. The buyer submits the winning bid. Then goes to collect and pay cash for the car and finds out it’s a complete wreck. What onus is there to pay and collect considering the listing description wasn’t entirely honest?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There isn't any. Just ring eBay explain the situation and you won't get a payment strike against you

If it doesn't match the description you don't have to accept it and report to eBay.

"Please offer any valid advice on the following. It’s hypothetical. A buyer bids on a car listed as “ great condition and faultless”. The buyer submits the winning bid. Then goes to collect and pay cash for the car and finds out it’s a complete wreck. What onus is there to pay and collect considering the listing description wasn’t entirely honest? "

Your fab account gets suspended for 7 days

Make sure you take photos to prove what you say. When you call them, they might ask for proof.

"There isn't any. Just ring eBay explain the situation and you won't get a payment strike against you "

What’s a payment strike?

I'd imagine if you paid in cash there's not much ebay can do. That's why they say use PayPal or card, you can launch a dispute that way and be reimbursed. At most they can ban the seller.

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"There isn't any. Just ring eBay explain the situation and you won't get a payment strike against you

What’s a payment strike? "

What happens if you win a bid but don’t pay & get reported

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"There isn't any. Just ring eBay explain the situation and you won't get a payment strike against you "

Good advice. eBay will get this a fair bit & they have good policies to protect buyers

Thanks all. So there’s no legal action likely to follow if I chose to walk away if such a thing were to happen?

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Thanks all. So there’s no legal action likely to follow if I chose to walk away if such a thing were to happen? "

No there isn't

By *lla_maiWoman  over a year ago

staffordshire

Can you not contact the seller to view the car before putting a bid in? Tgats what i did when i bought mine from ebay.

If you do have to phone eBay...be prepared for a long difficult call. Overseas call center!

Don't get me wrong, they were brilliant and helpful and their command of the English language excellent but, the accent made for lots of crossed wires and misunderstanding. It made it really hard work.

This was my personal experience and, it was a few years ago.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

In the situation you describe it would probably be more difficult if it had already been paid.

We sold a car on ebay to a man who paid and just never turned up to collect it.

"Please offer any valid advice on the following. It’s hypothetical. A buyer bids on a car listed as “ great condition and faultless”. The buyer submits the winning bid. Then goes to collect and pay cash for the car and finds out it’s a complete wreck. What onus is there to pay and collect considering the listing description wasn’t entirely honest? "

None at all. Refuse to pay, take photos as evidence and if the seller makes a fuss go to ebay's dispute resolution. Don't forget to upload said evidence.

"In the situation you describe it would probably be more difficult if it had already been paid.

We sold a car on ebay to a man who paid and just never turned up to collect it. "

That's awkward. How long do you stay stuck with a car you thought you'd got rid of before you sell it again?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"In the situation you describe it would probably be more difficult if it had already been paid.

We sold a car on ebay to a man who paid and just never turned up to collect it.

That's awkward. How long do you stay stuck with a car you thought you'd got rid of before you sell it again?"

I think we waited a month. We never did know why he didn't turn up and never heard from him again.

» Add a new message to this topic