FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Saudade

Saudade

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What do you do to distract from the feeling of saudade?

Is there music that encapsulates this feeling for you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Not a direct answer to your question as such but, there’s a good Chris Rea track of the same title.

It’s actually a tribute to Ayrton Senna I believe.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can’t say I’ve ever truly felt like this, but I have been homesick and that was a similar feeling of longing for something/someone that I couldn’t have/see at the time.

I imagine grief is a similar feeling...

Yes Simon & Garfunkel's "America" encapsulates it for me, and the Beatles "The Long and Winding Road." I'm not sure music distracts so much as acknowledges and honours the feeling

....I probably would highten my feelings and wrap myself in the grief, as I find it hard letting go. I’d be listening to the wrong kind of music that took me into a deeper, more emotional state...

I’ll have to go google saudade first.......

I try not to go there in the first place..

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Gin.

Friends

Music

Distractions

Suns_ine.

Gin

I have to embrace it, and this involves listening to very melancholic music (which in a strange way gives me comfort) and lots of snuffling until it passes.

So now I’ve got an idea of what the question is.

In terms of missing something etc and relating it to music, although we’ve been together a long time, almost 10 years. We did have a slight rough patch for a few months.

A very strange time in both our lives and something we’re way past and over now.

We took a bit of time apart, at first i thought going out drinking and partying till 7am was great and a fantastic idea, didn’t take too long to realise that it was a distraction that was never going to work.

I put a lot of my thoughts and feelings into some of the heaviest music I’ve ever written with the band I was with at the time, which in turn changed my outlook on a lot of things.

I’ve actually no idea if that answer the questions or is even relevant to the topic but it’s what came to mind

First things first, I've learnt a new word, which is always cool so thank you.

Do I feel it and are there things that trigger it? Oh good God yes! Far too many in fact!

I'm happy I now know a new word! I still miss the person I met in November and last saw in January. I remember listening to a song on the radio late on the Friday night before he came to stay after being in the Middle East for 3 weeks.

It's not even a good song but I've got good speakers that makes things sound awesome.

If I want to wallow in missing him I'll listen to this on my headphones.

https://youtu.be/bd1CR8118c0

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

W.B. Yeats, He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven. I try to avoid feeling like this.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"W.B. Yeats, He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven. I try to avoid feeling like this.

"

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I adore Yeats.

Lady Antibellum, need you now. Pretty much sums up the longing I have for someone and the ‘cycle’ of our ‘relationship’

When I get that feeling (a new word for me too thanks) I just have to allow myself some time to wallow and get it out of my system. I listen to that song, cry, tell myself he’s toxic and then get back to being a warrior

By *tonMessCouple  over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

When I feel sad, (or saudade) which is rare these days thankfully, I put my trainers on and get out for a stompy walk. I struggle to balance wearing headphones or earplug style headphones so I find somewhere to walk where nobody can hear me and I sing. Very loudly and rather badly. Often its kids songs or Christmas caroles as they are the only songs I know all the words to!

"When I feel sad, (or saudade) which is rare these days thankfully, I put my trainers on and get out for a stompy walk. I struggle to balance wearing headphones or earplug style headphones so I find somewhere to walk where nobody can hear me and I sing. Very loudly and rather badly. Often its kids songs or Christmas caroles as they are the only songs I know all the words to! "

This made me smile

Not quite a word in English to describe that feeling.

Usually anything by Jobim or quite like Gal Costa too.

Best place to find a sore dad is Fabguys.

Listen to Extremes Saudades De Rock, it's the perfect tonic to nostalgic longings

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

The beach....Or outdoors in the peace of the countryside with my dogs looking at vast open spaces huge skies walking and watching the world go by or just sitting in that vast openness and let my mind wander as I listen to nature all around me...

But then I'm a hermit who lives in a cave and happy to escape the world anytime.....

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Inside my love by Delilah. A time, a dynamic, a man who touched me deeply but I’ll never have back. I miss. Still. That’s my missingness.

» Add a new message to this topic