FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tenant fee-illegal?

Tenant fee-illegal?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *issVery OP   Woman  over a year ago

streatham

Hi

My friend is moving into a new rental place. All agreed for 1st May. The agent said that they can do the inventory check list on 21st April and they will give my friend the keys then. My friend still can’t move until 1st May. The agent said to “change” the move-in date to 1st May they have to charge her £100 admin fee.

I am livid!

She (and her flatmate) think they have no choice because they are worried the agent will withdraw the offer.

If it was me I would have already been down at the ombudsman!

Does anyone know the best place to get advice on this? Or any good online resources I can send to her?

I’m so angry!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Try CAB

Make sure your friend doesn’t sign the tenancy from the 21st April , she will be liable for rent: service charges plus the admin fee. Usually keys won’t be released prior to tenancy starting, so I’m assuming if they do 1st May that will be the day they get the keys ?

Your friend could ask to see their fees sheet ? And speak to whoever runs the letting agency. If all else fails , as you say, there is the Housing Ombudsman.

I tend to agree with your friends that rocking the boat will see the offer withdrawn amd wouldn't take the risk.

I'm also not seeing the issue on either side, if the contract is from the 1st May then move in then regardless of the flat being empty prior to that. But equally I'm not sure why the Landord would want a fee when they can get extra rent by saying yes to the new date.

Also I'm not sure what you think an ombudsman could do. Letting agents are robbing bastards who charhe a fee at any opportunity. But all they are doing is sticking to the agreed contract?

I don't get the problem

Just take the keys on the said day and move in when she's ready ??

By *issVery OP   Woman  over a year ago

streatham

To clarify.. because the AGENT decided to do inventory and hand her keys on 21st April (early) he’s charging her £100 fee to keep the original move in date of 1st May..

"To clarify.. because the AGENT decided to do inventory and hand her keys on 21st April (early) he’s charging her £100 fee to keep the original move in date of 1st May.."

We haven’t got to that date yet , so why don’t they say they will stick to 1st. They don’t have to meet the agent on 21st to get the keys and they have to be there to agree the inventory.

Not illegal technically but It’s a legal scam

"To clarify.. because the AGENT decided to do inventory and hand her keys on 21st April (early) he’s charging her £100 fee to keep the original move in date of 1st May.."

That's not how I understood the original post. An inventory fee us normal but I wouldn't have thought they could charge extra for sticking to the original date just because the flat is available sooner.

My advice would be to pay it ad them challenge the agents afterwards. It may also be worth speaking to the landlord to see if they know anything about it, my landlord has had issues with the letting agents trying similar tricks

"I don't get the problem

Just take the keys on the said day and move in when she's ready ??"

Was thinking that myself x

» Add a new message to this topic