FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New car conspiracy

New car conspiracy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Following the success (not) of my last conspiracy post i thought i'd do another one.

Obviously now the onus is on the environment and fuel efficiency and we are encouraged to invest in new cars to meet this expectation. Then you read that actually it's far more damaging to the environment to build a new car than it is to keep an old one running, especially when you factor in scrappage. For the slight improvement in fuel efficiency it seems it's just not worth it, the numbers don't add up.

If this is all true i can only assume this is a cynical tactic to prop up the car industry which would of course collapse.

On a side note. The lighter a car is the more fuel efficient it is. Why then do we continue to fill them with extraneous shit we don't actually need? ie electric windows, central locking, air con, ABS etc. But what really drives me wild is this sudden surge in popularity of these ridiculous SUV sports crossover hybrids or whatever else you want to call them. Too big to be a car, too shit to be an off-roader bought by people who's only experience of going off-road is walking the dog in the local park.

Your thoughts please.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My thoughts?

Please look out for me when I'm walking the dog,don't want run over by an off roader.

Salesman, "...and of course it comes fitted with electric windows as standard".

Customer, "wow, that's really useful because i don't have any arms".

Or how about:

Salesman, "it's fitted with ABS".

Customer, "what does that mean?".

Salesman, "it means that if you hit anything slippery the brakes won't actually stop you".

It completely a way of keeping the motor industry alive. Cars are classed as old when they are older than 10 years. Yet engines can now easily do 200k plus. The other issue is the debt bubble on lease cars; where cars at the end of the lease period are worth less than the expected value

"It completely a way of keeping the motor industry alive. Cars are classed as old when they are older than 10 years. Yet engines can now easily do 200k plus. The other issue is the debt bubble on lease cars; where cars at the end of the lease period are worth less than the expected value"

And the irony is is that due to the new legislation regarding MOT's my tester has told me that it would be better to keep my 2004 Hilux running for as long as possible rather than trade it in for a newer one. This seems counterproductive if the industry is to be believed.

Btw, cool username.

No matter what the problem the solution is always you buying more shit!!.

The entire world runs on sales of utterly useless pointless nonsense to fill your life with wonder

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

The only people who can really tell you how much energy goes into making a new car are the manufacturers and I can’t imagine they want to start that information leaking out.

All I know is there are about 50,000 components in a car and they all have to be made from something, put through a factory, tested, packaged and shipped to the car factory. When you think of all the people doing that who have to drive there it’s a lot of pollution that otherwise wouldn’t be happening.

The mantra now is about emissions but again the manufacturers are talking about exhaust emissions only, something like a third of car emissions are from brakes and tyres - they all wear out, those particles have to go somewhere and they’re too big to get absorbed into the air so they just hang around for us to breathe and be poisoned by.

It’s an interesting topic (if you’re a bit geeky) but the truth is probably impossible to get at. Car manufacturers are building cars to make money, not save the planet. That’s worth remembering a bit more often.

Basically agree - especially when it comes to the trend for shite pseudo off-roaders (ESPECIALLY the Alfa Stelvio, which Alfa expects people will prefer to a Giulia estate, therefore no need to build the car I would love more than any other)...

BUT - there is a definite benefit from newer cars in terms of local air quality in bigger cities. Just sayin'...

"The only people who can really tell you how much energy goes into making a new car are the manufacturers and I can’t imagine they want to start that information leaking out.

All I know is there are about 50,000 components in a car and they all have to be made from something, put through a factory, tested, packaged and shipped to the car factory. When you think of all the people doing that who have to drive there it’s a lot of pollution that otherwise wouldn’t be happening.

The mantra now is about emissions but again the manufacturers are talking about exhaust emissions only, something like a third of car emissions are from brakes and tyres - they all wear out, those particles have to go somewhere and they’re too big to get absorbed into the air so they just hang around for us to breathe and be poisoned by.

It’s an interesting topic (if you’re a bit geeky) but the truth is probably impossible to get at. Car manufacturers are building cars to make money, not save the planet. That’s worth remembering a bit more often."

If anyone looks to the manufacturers for guidance i would point them to the recent VW farce. I don't really think any of them are to be trusted. As you say it's all about profit margins.

If you're coming at this from the perspective of pollution you have to look beyond the vehicle itself, at the factories that build them, the import/export of parts, distribution of the finished product. All contribute towards pollution, on top of that there is pollution created in the scrapping of our old vehicles.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of second hand cars are bought and sold locally and the manufacture and transport of a new alternator is far less environmentally damaging than that of a new car.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Following the success (not) of my last conspiracy post i thought i'd do another one.

Obviously now the onus is on the environment and fuel efficiency and we are encouraged to invest in new cars to meet this expectation. Then you read that actually it's far more damaging to the environment to build a new car than it is to keep an old one running, especially when you factor in scrappage. For the slight improvement in fuel efficiency it seems it's just not worth it, the numbers don't add up.

If this is all true i can only assume this is a cynical tactic to prop up the car industry which would of course collapse.

On a side note. The lighter a car is the more fuel efficient it is. Why then do we continue to fill them with extraneous shit we don't actually need? ie electric windows, central locking, air con, ABS etc. But what really drives me wild is this sudden surge in popularity of these ridiculous SUV sports crossover hybrids or whatever else you want to call them. Too big to be a car, too shit to be an off-roader bought by people who's only experience of going off-road is walking the dog in the local park.

Your thoughts please.

"

I agree with you ... I’m due a change next year but who knows what to go for! I always down grade for company car tax reasons - BIG JOB but chose to stick with a smaller version... less in the tax mans pocket and more in mine!

Cross-over 4x4! why would you!

By *ack Genuine BullMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

In 5 years time.......

There will be thousands of hybrid battery cars lying around unwanted,

Because the cost of replacing their battery packs is more than the vehicle would be worth.

Bring back Morris Minors, Triumph Heralds, and Citroen 2CV's.

Simple. Affordable.

"Following the success (not) of my last conspiracy post i thought i'd do another one.

Your thoughts please.

I agree with you ... I’m due a change next year but who knows what to go for! I always down grade for company car tax reasons - BIG JOB but chose to stick with a smaller version... less in the tax mans pocket and more in mine!

Cross-over 4x4! why would you!"

* Honey i'm taking little Timmy to school in the SUV because, as you know, the school is located in a completely inaccesible spot on the other side of a large wooded valley with a river running through it and it's been pissing down all night, see you in a jiffy.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Your thoughts please.

* Honey i'm taking little Timmy to school in the SUV because, as you know, the school is located in a completely inaccesible spot on the other side of a large wooded valley with a river running through it and it's been pissing down all night, see you in a jiffy. "

I love my Q5

By *oncambsukMan  over a year ago

st ives

I drive a 10 year old 4x4 SUV because we have a large caravan and the current breed of lightweight eco boost cars cant cope with it. If I remember correctly it was calculated that a Prius doesnt break even ecologically until 10 years and 120k miles!

Your thoughts please.

* Honey i'm taking little Timmy to school in the SUV because, as you know, the school is located in a completely inaccesible spot on the other side of a large wooded valley with a river running through it and it's been pissing down all night, see you in a jiffy.

I love my Q5"

If that's an SUV can you explain to me what made you buy it? Do you think such a vehicle is essential in your day to day life? Curious not having a go.

Im into my classics so drive one when the weathers nice, the rest of the time i drive whatever i choose for the 2 year, i have a new car on lease every 2 year hassel free just tick 'premium audio', 'sports pack (amg/M sports ect) & choose whichever big petrol engine the brand does and it comes in the back of a lorry. Unfortunately i went from my usual Mercedes-Benz to audi this time and its absolute shi7 (excuse my french)

Reason i do this is

A- im a petrol head and like to change my cars.

B- tax break, can put it against expenses.

C- no hassel selling

D-never need to change tyres/service/mot- just get in and drive

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Your thoughts please.

I love my Q5

If that's an SUV can you explain to me what made you buy it? Do you think such a vehicle is essential in your day to day life? Curious not having a go."

Well, I do use it to tow a caravan and live out in the sticks. Also use it often in France and just love the higher ride and comfort. I also have a TT which I enjoy driving. Wouldn’t take either into London.

I’m afraid I’m a child of the internal combustion age. I was raised to want and need a car.

I’m addicted.

We've had a similar conversation recently after being given a brand new Nissan X-trail as a hire car for the last week, my first thought was it's fricking huge, closely followed by it's a bit of squeeze in the back for two teenagers and a child in a car seat, they had more room in my old Meriva!!

I looked to see how much it was and starting price was £25k, but for what? A few nifty features; anti glare mirror, fancy sunroof and a shit load of wasted metal/fibre glass on the outside. I much prefer older cars where even I can have a go at repairing them and doing the basics.

Ginger

Bedford

"The only people who can really tell you how much energy goes into making a new car are the manufacturers and I can’t imagine they want to start that information leaking out.

It’s an interesting topic (if you’re a bit geeky) but the truth is probably impossible to get at. Car manufacturers are building cars to make money, not save the planet. That’s worth remembering a bit more often.

If anyone looks to the manufacturers for guidance i would point them to the recent VW farce. I don't really think any of them are to be trusted. As you say it's all about profit margins.

If you're coming at this from the perspective of pollution you have to look beyond the vehicle itself, at the factories that build them, the import/export of parts, distribution of the finished product. All contribute towards pollution, on top of that there is pollution created in the scrapping of our old vehicles.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of second hand cars are bought and sold locally and the manufacture and transport of a new alternator is far less environmentally damaging than that of a new car."

With the components I was talking about an alternator being made in China or Mexico and then being shipped to Germany to be fitted to the car which then gets shipped to the new owner.

There’s also some very high-energy processes used; making steel takes a huge amount of power, turning that into car parts takes even more.

Riversimple are trying to not only introduce an electric car but make it lighter and more efficient so it’s polution is much reduced. They’re also trying out a different kind of ownership scheme where the car is owned by the company and sort of rented to the buyer. As the car stays owned by the company this means it’s in their interest to make it last as long as possible which again is very different to other manufacturers.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

How odd I just spotted this thread, while on hold to Ford!

I ordered a new car 3wks ago, half paid, rest on monthly plan.

The dealers called to say, there's a delay & can't now actually give me a date.

The reason Ford have decided to 'face-lift' the model, and it's not gone into production yet.

It also means there may also be a price rise!

I spent months test driving cars, this was the perfect one.

So I've now got to decide do I stick with it no idea how long I'll have to wait and hope the rise isn't too high, or get my money back & go for another car, that I know I'll never be fully happy with?

FFS..

I was having such a good day too!

Bedford

Buy one that’s 6 months old and spend the savings on wild nights at clubs?

I still think importing spares from the other side of the world is still better than importing a new car even from as close as Europe. You can get alot of alternators in a shipping container. I understand the point made about the energy required in the manufacturing processes but surely the amount required to manufacture spares cannot be compared to that of a new car, they have alternators too.

As for electric vehicles i cannot comment as i lack sucficient knowledge, however i have read that there is not enough Lithium in the world to replace every internal combustion engine with an electric alternative. Unless this issue is dealt with i'm not sure where it can go.

Those that buy SUV's because they feel they need them for their day to day existence i have no problem with, be it to tow a caravan or because they live in a rural location. I know what it's like driving across wet crass to get to a pitch and rural roads are often in poor condition, muddy and never see a gritter in winter.

It's those in urban centres who buy them as a fashion accessory and only ever use them for the school run and the supermarket that stokes my ire.

The vantage point afforded by SUV's is a reason that people often cite for buying one, it makes them feel safe. I drive a 4wd Hilux which sits quite high and enjoy a clearer view of the road ahead begond the cars in front. But where does this end, if we were all to get one we still wouldn't be able to see. It has the hallmarks of starting an automotive arms race where they keep getting bigger and bigger ad nauseum until we have to start avoiding low bridges.

New range rover £125k

Old range rover £1 k

What fucking divvy loses that much wonga ..I'd put £5k into a land cruiser and £115k into a lambo to sit on.. hth

The other 5k I'd bank in case the lambo chucks a wobbler

"We've had a similar conversation recently after being given a brand new Nissan X-trail as a hire car for the last week, my first thought was it's fricking huge, closely followed by it's a bit of squeeze in the back for two teenagers and a child in a car seat, they had more room in my old Meriva!!

I looked to see how much it was and starting price was £25k, but for what? A few nifty features; anti glare mirror, fancy sunroof and a shit load of wasted metal/fibre glass on the outside. I much prefer older cars where even I can have a go at repairing them and doing the basics.

Ginger"

Cars a bit like smart phones the new ones don't really do anything different than the old and hence why they spend gazillions on marketing convincing people that they really really really do need a new one! I just won't be anybody unless I'm driving the new hip blah blah blah.

Any truth in the rumour that Apple are making older Icars drive slower and less efficiently?

"We've had a similar conversation recently after being given a brand new Nissan X-trail as a hire car for the last week, my first thought was it's fricking huge, closely followed by it's a bit of squeeze in the back for two teenagers and a child in a car seat, they had more room in my old Meriva!!

Ginger"

Some of my earlier cars were my favourites, Cortinas and VW Sciroccos, you could get any spare you wanted from any breaker for just a few quid.

I miss not being able not to have a tinker. I look under the bonnets of new cars and i have no idea what/where anything is, even something as simple as an oil change leaves me scratching my head.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

Scrapping 10 year old cars,

Maybe the big car manufacturers are running out of raw materials to make the shinny new cars for us to buy, More about keeping the share holders happy then saving the environment

"Scrapping 10 year old cars,

Maybe the big car manufacturers are running out of raw materials to make the shinny new cars for us to buy, More about keeping the share holders happy then saving the environment"

That's the way i see it. This fuel efficiency spin is just a red herring, if they really wanted to save the planet you'd think they'd make cars as light as possible. Instead they stuff them full of the latest gadgets in order to convince us to buy this year's model.

They hide the truth from us because if it became common knowledge they'd be finished. It's all smoke and mirrors. I'm hanging on to what i've got, anyone else with a conscience should do the same.

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

I think it's fair to say that the majority of second hand cars are bought and sold locally and the manufacture and transport of a new alternator is far less environmentally damaging than that of a new car.

With the components I was talking about an alternator being made in China or Mexico and then being shipped to Germany to be fitted to the car which then gets shipped to the new owner.

There’s also some very high-energy processes used; making steel takes a huge amount of power, turning that into car parts takes even more.

Riversimple are trying to not only introduce an electric car but make it lighter and more efficient so it’s polution is much reduced. They’re also trying out a different kind of ownership scheme where the car is owned by the company and sort of rented to the buyer. As the car stays owned by the company this means it’s in their interest to make it last as long as possible which again is very different to other manufacturers."

I worked at a place that made parts for Honda,Toyota,Jaguar and Land rover. You would be surprised at how many HGVS would coming in and out in 24 hours. Some would leave with just two containers on.You could fit the two containers in a Transit,they literally transported fresh air. This happens night after night,sometimes they hire helicopters to fly the parts. It's cheaper to pay for a helicopter than pay the fine for stopping the production line.

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I also have a caravan. Use a honda 2.2 diesel to tow. This a 08 plate and has only done 33000 miles from new. If this vehicle has to be changed. Trying to find another that can tow does not leave me many options. None of the new so called eco vehilcles etc cannot tow. The only one i have found that will tow is the tesla. Which due to price and having to have charging point installed is not even viable. Also on long journey , where to charge. You have to unhitch caravan to charge car. Which motorway services will not allow.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd need the evidence to be presented to me, in order to take an intelligent decision upon this.

In any event, the population need transport solutions that they can afford, whether they be new, existing, public or private.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Buy one that’s 6 months old and spend the savings on wild nights at clubs? "

» Add a new message to this topic