FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Channel 4 program announcer

Channel 4 program announcer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now I'm far from mocking this bloke.. I noticed him last night and he has a bloody obvious speech impediment.

Now is this the right job for him?

Your thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think that's the point. Channel 4 are promoting acceptance and understanding of disability and I think it's great.

Why shouldn't he do it?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I think that's the point. Channel 4 are promoting acceptance and understanding of disability and I think it's great.

Why shouldn't he do it? "

Exactly this!

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan  over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

All I can say to this is ‘biscuit’ I’m glad the girl the found to present with Tourette’s syndrome ‘cat’ had some control but the odd ‘fuck’ may have added a little humour.

On the whole it can’t be a bad thing just sad the some of the TV channels make entertainment out of people issues.

"I think that's the point. Channel 4 are promoting acceptance and understanding of disability and I think it's great.

I'm far from saying he shouldn't do it and I'm all for what you said...but tbh he was not easy on the ear...which I thought was the main part of a announcers job.

But that's why I said your thoughts.

bravo ch4 i say ...

That is the point ..they also have an announcer with a strong Caribbean accent too

of course its the job for him jees

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

Providing he can be understood, then I think it's great. It's about time people with disabilities and differences became more in the public eye.

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

I think it’s good to get people with disabilities into the public eye and just doing every job possible.

Much worse is employing children’s TV presenters who can’t stop shouting and who treat every banal occurrence like it’s the announcement of world peace.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Why shouldn't he do it?

I'm far from saying he shouldn't do it and I'm all for what you said...but tbh he was not easy on the ear...which I thought was the main part of a announcers job.

But that's why I said your thoughts."

Is it uneasy on the ear because we aren't used to hearing a voice like that? It's not difficult to understand what he's saying. I think it's a good move.

It isn't that long since regional accents were banned from telly.

evesham

"Now I'm far from mocking this bloke.. I noticed him last night and he has a bloody obvious speech impediment.

Your thoughts?"

Why wouldn't it be the right job for him, apart from not being easy in your ear?

Should we hide away those with d speech impediments for fear that you might hear them or cause you to listen a little more closely to what is being said?

He's providing inspiration for people with speech impediments everywhere.

Like the first black footballers he may have to take a bit of stick but he's paving the way for others to follow.

Good on Channel 4!

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I think it's great it makes a nice change to hear a different type of voice.

It's challenging preconceptions. And as the opening post makes clear it is working. Massive respect for channel 4 for doing this

Why shouldn't he do it?

Is it uneasy on the ear because we aren't used to hearing a voice like that? It's not difficult to understand what he's saying. I think it's a good move.

It isn't that long since regional accents were banned from telly."

Yeah I get that and I'm old enough to remember when they all talked in clipped tones...until that bugger who just live up the road from me got the announcers job on big brother

Maybe your right on its just a voice I'm not used to hearing.

But had does come across like a bad X factor auditionist and I'm trying to view the panels reaction.

I must be the grumpy Simon Cowell on this one eh

It* not had

evesham

Too many typos to fix

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Why shouldn't he do it?

Yeah I get that and I'm old enough to remember when they all talked in clipped tones...until that bugger who just live up the road from me got the announcers job on big brother

But had does come across like a bad X factor auditionist and I'm trying to view the panels reaction.

I must be the grumpy Simon Cowell on this one eh "

Lol. I've heard other people say it's not easy on their ears. I don't think that's a bad thing to say I find e.g. Sarah Millican difficult to listen to because her voice sounds too high pitched for my ears as if she's in a constant state of agitation.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/04/18 09:35:08]

evesham

Why shouldn't he do it?

Lol. I've heard other people say it's not easy on their ears. I don't think that's a bad thing to say I find e.g. Sarah Millican difficult to listen to because her voice sounds too high pitched for my ears as if she's in a constant state of agitation."

But do you question whether she should be a comedian based in the fact you don't like her voice?

Do* not dont

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Why shouldn't he do it?

Lol. I've heard other people say it's not easy on their ears. I don't think that's a bad thing to say I find e.g. Sarah Millican difficult to listen to because her voice sounds too high pitched for my ears as if she's in a constant state of agitation.

But do you question whether she should be a comedian based in the fact you don't like her voice? "

No, I base that on the content of her show.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

This is the 21st century ... yes people do have speach impediments .. we dont put them in institutions and segregate anymore ...

Why shouldn't he be a broadcaster.

Trevor mcdonald is a black newsreader .. shock horror .

Disabled athletes win medals ....take a look in the mirror OP .. what do you see

evesham

"Now I'm far from mocking this bloke.. I noticed him last night and he has a bloody obvious speech impediment.

Your thoughts?"

Here is where you question if he should have the job he does.....

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

More 4 channel also use the same presenters good for them

evesham

Why shouldn't he do it?

But that's why I said your thoughts."

I'll concede this point as you do say that your aren't saying he shouldn't do it, although you do claim he isn't easy on the ear.

I'm nothing if not big enough to admit when I get something wrong

"That is the point ..they also have an announcer with a strong Caribbean accent too "

How can you compare a strong Carribbean accent to a speech impediment?

Your thoughts?"

My thoughts are it shows a world of equality and humanity. Good on channel 4. And good on him imagine how much guts that's taken him.

Your thoughts?

Here is where you question if he should have the job he does..... "

Where's does it say I said he shouldn't?

evesham

Your thoughts?

Here is where you question if he should have the job he does.....

Where's does it say I said he shouldn't? "

Maybe read the bit I said before you quoted it!

good on C4 , and him .... I suppose everybody else is perfect tho !!

It's the right job because he got the job.Like the weather girl with one arm.Good luck to them.Its not a challenge for them but can be challenging for those watching or listening.

Why shouldn't he do it?

I'll concede this point as you do say that your aren't saying he shouldn't do it, although you do claim he isn't easy on the ear.

I'm nothing if not big enough to admit when I get something wrong "

Fair enough

I'm far from body or any other shaming.

But I did question in my mind if it was the right job for him....that is why I asked for thoughts on this.

So apologies if anyone thinks I was being bigoted as that is not what I'm about.

"That is the point ..they also have an announcer with a strong Caribbean accent too

How can you compare a strong Carribbean accent to a speech impediment? "

I am not.. I am making the point of channel 4 showing and using diversity in their announcers

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I think it’s a reasonable question to ask, and certainly more thought provoking than a lot of the mind numbing shit questions posted on here !

I'm actually a little bit in agreement with the OP here. Disabled people in the public eye have exactly the same rights to be criticised and disliked as any able-bodied person in the public eye, and I see no shortage of criticising other people on tv on these forums. Disabled people should not be molly-coddled because of their disabilities - this is just positive discrimination which is as bad as the negative kind. They are people who have their faults, just like everyone else.

"That is the point ..they also have an announcer with a strong Caribbean accent too

I am not.. I am making the point of channel 4 showing and using diversity in their announcers "

Apologies,I picked that up wrong.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Why shouldn't he do it?

Exactly this! "

there was a lovely lady on e4 with a speech tick x she would randomly say biscuits, thought she was fantastic x

I am not.. I am making the point of channel 4 showing and using diversity in their announcers

Apologies,I picked that up wrong."

no worries

evesham

"I'm actually a little bit in agreement with the OP here. Disabled people in the public eye have exactly the same rights to be criticised and disliked as any able-bodied person in the public eye, and I see no shortage of criticising other people on tv on these forums. Disabled people should not be molly-coddled because of their disabilities - this is just positive discrimination which is as bad as the negative kind. They are people who have their faults, just like everyone else."

not for their disabilities! Another ignoramus I see. Criticise their clothing, hair cut etc.... That's fair game but not their disabilities.

By *ooking4othersMan  over a year ago

Here ...

Good on C4 ... fair play I say! We're all the same at the end of the day.

Now what about fair pay .. do you think this presenter is getting paid the same as 'normal' male or even female presenters?

"I'm actually a little bit in agreement with the OP here. Disabled people in the public eye have exactly the same rights to be criticised and disliked as any able-bodied person in the public eye, and I see no shortage of criticising other people on tv on these forums. Disabled people should not be molly-coddled because of their disabilities - this is just positive discrimination which is as bad as the negative kind. They are people who have their faults, just like everyone else.

not for their disabilities! Another ignoramus I see. Criticise their clothing, hair cut etc.... That's fair game but not their disabilities. "

And I kind of get what your saying but in my opinion. ...on this one you only have the voice to go on...we do not see the clothes or hair type...and i don't think it was ignorant to ask in the op..it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask on this point in my opinion

Anyhow on a lighter note....I often get told I've got a good face for radio...no feckers mentioned I have a good voice

evesham

"I'm actually a little bit in agreement with the OP here. Disabled people in the public eye have exactly the same rights to be criticised and disliked as any able-bodied person in the public eye, and I see no shortage of criticising other people on tv on these forums. Disabled people should not be molly-coddled because of their disabilities - this is just positive discrimination which is as bad as the negative kind. They are people who have their faults, just like everyone else.

not for their disabilities! Another ignoramus I see. Criticise their clothing, hair cut etc.... That's fair game but not their disabilities.

And I kind of get what your saying but in my opinion. ...on this one you only have the voice to go on...we do not see the clothes or hair type...and i don't think it was ignorant to ask in the op..it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask on this point in my opinion "

As you might have guessed.... I strongly disagree. This isn't about positive discrimination or molly codling this is about challenging ignorance. Your only reason for questioning his suitability for the job was based on his disability. Not his accent or his mumbling or tone or any other audible issues that would make the job unsuitable for anyone. I watch c4 all the time and not once have I had any difficulties understanding any of the announcers on there.

And I kind of get what your saying but in my opinion. ...on this one you only have the voice to go on...we do not see the clothes or hair type...and i don't think it was ignorant to ask in the op..it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask on this point in my opinion

As you might have guessed.... I strongly disagree. This isn't about positive discrimination or molly codling this is about challenging ignorance. Your only reason for questioning his suitability for the job was based on his disability. Not his accent or his mumbling or tone or any other audible issues that would make the job unsuitable for anyone. I watch c4 all the time and not once have I had any difficulties understanding any of the announcers on there.

"

I think we just need to agree to disagree on this one...yes?

Why shouldn't he do it?

Fair enough

But I did question in my mind if it was the right job for him....that is why I asked for thoughts on this.

So apologies if anyone thinks I was being bigoted as that is not what I'm about."

You were asking a question. You weren't slagging off the guy.

It's a shit world when we're not allowed to ask questions or discuss things for fear of offending people.

I find it difficult to understand strong accents and people with speech impediments. I'll make my own way to the gallows.

Your thoughts?"

I recognise his voice from a programme a while ago.

I think it's good they've given him the job. Good to give different speaker types a 'voice'.

Your thoughts?

I think it's good they've given him the job. Good to give different speaker types a 'voice'. "

And tbh I agree...but I did give it some thought as the voice is the only thing for this work....but ffs I'd better keep quiet as I've been on the gallows once today

Onestepoutofthedoor

Why shouldn't he do it?

Fair enough

So apologies if anyone thinks I was being bigoted as that is not what I'm about.

It's a shit world when we're not allowed to ask questions or discuss things for fear of offending people.

I find it difficult to understand strong accents and people with speech impediments. I'll make my own way to the gallows. "

I agree

Your thoughts?

I think it's good they've given him the job. Good to give different speaker types a 'voice'.

And tbh I agree...but I did give it some thought as the voice is the only thing for this work....but ffs I'd better keep quiet as I've been on the gallows once today"

Been opening your gob again have you tut tut

It's why I fully supported Donald trump getting the job!

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I haven't seen this chap, but will look out for him. So, whilst I can't comment on whether the job is right for him, his skills obviously have to be those appropriate to his job. As an example, when I was in banking, we had a lovely lady cashier, who discovered she had 'number dyslexia', so the job wasn't appropriate for her, they however found her a position in another department and she was very successful there. So if this chap is doing his job that is satisfying the public, all well and good, if not then....it's nothing to do with disability.

here

not for their disabilities! Another ignoramus I see. Criticise their clothing, hair cut etc.... That's fair game but not their disabilities. "

Is it really "fair game" to criticise people on their appearance???

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

Why shouldn't he do it?

Fair enough

I find it difficult to understand strong accents and people with speech impediments. I'll make my own way to the gallows. "

I’m with you on the accent thing. I speak 4 languages but I find strong accents incredibly difficult to understand

evesham

Why shouldn't he do it?

Fair enough

It's not about sending people to the gallows and saying you find someone difficult to understand is one thing but questioning whether someone should have the job they do because they are disabilities is another thing completely.

Also.... People we allowed to have and express differing opinions from those of the op without being accused of sending them to the gallows.

chelmsford

"

It isn't, but people should dress appropriately for their job, especially on tv and customer facing jobs.

evesham

"

Poor choice of words but the sentiment was that it is never OK to mock someone's disability

By *eady and Willing 9Man  over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

Well said. Case closed.

By *hechairman18Man  over a year ago

Salford Quays , Manchester

I've not seen or heard the guy.

Good luck to him.

He's got to be easier on the ears than Ray Winstan

"I've not seen or heard the guy.

Good luck to him.

He's got to be easier on the ears than Ray Winstan "

So is Ray Winstone disabled?

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

I wouldnt class anyone with a speech impediment as disabled.. lots of people in broadcasting journalism and showbiz do... even singers

"I wouldnt class anyone with a speech impediment as disabled.. lots of people in broadcasting journalism and showbiz do... even singers

"

Yeah I agree and there were no mention of it being so in the op.

This came in the first post and twisted the whole op in my opinion....after all Jonathan Ross has one of the biggest speech impediments on tv and he mocks himself for that fact.

I would suggest the op was read again.

evesham

"I wouldnt class anyone with a speech impediment as disabled.. lots of people in broadcasting journalism and showbiz do... even singers

"

He's deaf

evesham

[Removed by poster at 12/04/18 11:49:28]

evesham

Good luck to him.

So is Ray Winstone disabled?"

Ridiculous statement

Good luck to him.

Ridiculous statement "

You have quoted my question to the statement above it...for clarity who are you replying to?

What's wrong with ray winstons voice ?

evesham

Good luck to him.

Ridiculous statement

You have quoted my question to the statement above it...for clarity who are you replying to?"

Apologies..... Question. Facetious

Onestepoutofthedoor

"What's wrong with ray winstons voice ?"

I don't like Ray Winston.

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

"What's wrong with ray winstons voice ?

I don't like Ray Winston."

nor do i

Onestepoutofthedoor

"What's wrong with ray winstons voice ?

I don't like Ray Winston.nor do i"

Lots of women find him attractive don't they,but he does nothing for me. His acting is ok but that's it.

This came in the first post and twisted the whole op in my opinion....after all Jonathan Ross has one of the biggest speech impediments on tv and he mocks himself for that fact.

I would suggest the op was read again."

You obviously didn't consider the professional offence takers when the OP was done. Some on here are so deluded that they even make up their own version of a post in their mind, then get offended at others because of what they themselves made up. Hilarious

Your thoughts?"

No I don't think he should be doing that job. The whole point of a programme announcer is to be clear and understood and not distracting. It's channel 4 taking diversity too far x

evesham

You obviously didn't consider the professional offence takers when the OP was done. Some on here are so deluded that they even make up their own version of a post in their mind, then get offended at others because of what they themselves made up. Hilarious "

By no means a professional offence taker but I do question ignorance and out sated views, psrtiv7around disability. Is that wrong?

evesham

Your thoughts?

No I don't think he should be doing that job. The whole point of a programme announcer is to be clear and understood and not distracting. It's channel 4 taking diversity too far x"

Wow. So you may have to listen a little closer (although I hardly have to break rhythm in my crochet to understand what programmes are being g announced. Such hardship.

He's obviously not the right man for the job, the whole point of an announcer is to speak loud and clear for all to understand, nobodys saying that he shouldnt have the job, good on him but he clearly only got the job in the first place based on his speech impediment and channel 4 is just trying to be cool and promote equality. You wouldnt employ a blind man to lead the blind, yeah maybe he can get the job done but theres obviously someone better suited for that job.

You obviously didn't consider the professional offence takers when the OP was done. Some on here are so deluded that they even make up their own version of a post in their mind, then get offended at others because of what they themselves made up. Hilarious "

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

No it's ridiculous. I wish I had a great 'radio voice' or 'trailer man voice' but I don't so I'll never do those jobs. Same way as I'm not good looking enough to be a model, so I'll never have that job either.

Tokenism is never good.

chelmsford

Your thoughts?

No I don't think he should be doing that job. The whole point of a programme announcer is to be clear and understood and not distracting. It's channel 4 taking diversity too far x"

I agree that a presenter should be clear and concise with his/her speech, that could mean someone with a very strong accent too, may be difficult to understand. We all have to fit the criteria of the position we are applying for.

evesham

"No it's ridiculous. I wish I had a great 'radio voice' or 'trailer man voice' but I don't so I'll never do those jobs. Same way as I'm not good looking enough to be a model, so I'll never have that job either.

Tokenism is never good. "

Do you say the same of the downs syndrome girl making it on the catwalk? She isn't 'conventionally' pretty yet is making a good living modelling.

Gone are the days of perfect diction on TV. They even have black people and the gays on TV now.... Shock horror!

Such archaic views on display here. His job is to announce the upcoming programmes and he does that perfectly well.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"No it's ridiculous. I wish I had a great 'radio voice' or 'trailer man voice' but I don't so I'll never do those jobs. Same way as I'm not good looking enough to be a model, so I'll never have that job either.

Tokenism is never good.

Do you say the same of the downs syndrome girl making it on the catwalk? She isn't 'conventionally' pretty yet is making a good living modelling.

Gone are the days of perfect diction on TV. They even have black people and the gays on TV now.... Shock horror!

Such archaic views on display here. His job is to announce the upcoming programmes and he does that perfectly well.

"

I haven't actually heard him so I don't know,but if some people can't understand him then he's not doing it perfectly well is he.

chelmsford

Tokenism is never good.

"

Not all catwalk models are conventionally pretty, IMO and these models are displaying clothes and obviously that young lady is good at doing that

Onestepoutofthedoor

Tokenism is never good.

Not all catwalk models are conventionally pretty, IMO and these models are displaying clothes and obviously that young lady is good at doing that "

That's my thoughts as well.

chelmsford

Not sure why black people have to be mentioned, but from a newsreader/presenter, point of view and the ones I enjoy listening to are George Alagiah, Trevor Mcdonald and Khrisnan Guru Murthy, because they have beautiful speaking voices.

"Not sure why black people have to be mentioned, but from a newsreader/presenter, point of view and the ones I enjoy listening to are George Alagiah, Trevor Mcdonald and Khrisnan Guru Murthy, because they have beautiful speaking voices. "

My thoughts too when I asked the original question....I know things have changed as bloody hell we even have a boro lass on BBC breakfast tv.

But surely clarity is the only part that has to be right for a announcers job.

But hey ho each to Thier own views eh

Tokenism is never good.

"

What have black or gay people have to do with this? Are you saying that being black or gay (or both!) are disabilities? Does your trendyism extend to having partially sighted pilots or brain surgeons with MS?

chelmsford

Back to the OP. No doubt this is the right job for him, personally, but as I've said before, if an announcer was, 'not so easy on the ear' then I probably wouldn't listen to that programme. It's like some of the mumbling actors in some dramas, it makes it difficult to pick up on their speech.

By *ayMyName123Man  over a year ago

Barnsley

Your thoughts?"

What about mr woss used to be on itv couldn’t even pwonounce

His name I think it’s great times are changing move with them

chelmsford

Your thoughts?

His name I think it’s great times are changing move with them "

Can't listen to him!

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him! "

Ah but there you go...I mentioned him earlier and I quite like him but mainly for his with. ...but if he just had a announcers job I think it would be tiresome to listen to just that.

chelmsford

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

Ah but there you go...I mentioned him earlier and I quite like him but mainly for his with. ...but if he just had a announcers job I think it would be tiresome to listen to just that. "

He's not someone I enjoy watching, but agree with you on the announcers job

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Your thoughts?"

Bravo Chanel 4.

Bravo him.

So yes, its the right job for him.

evesham

Tokenism is never good.

What have black or gay people have to do with this? Are you saying that being black or gay (or both!) are disabilities? Does your trendyism extend to having partially sighted pilots or brain surgeons with MS?"

No, I'm showing how far we have come from the archaic view points on display here. It was somewhat flippant.

evesham

Your thoughts?

Bravo Chanel 4.

Bravo him.

So yes, its the right job for him."

evesham

Tokenism is never good.

What have black or gay people have to do with this? Are you saying that being black or gay (or both!) are disabilities? Does your trendyism extend to having partially sighted pilots or brain surgeons with MS?

No, I'm showing how far we have come from the archaic view points on display here. It was somewhat flippant. "

Oh..... And as announcing upcoming programmes has zero effect on the lives of other people I find you 'trendyism' comment far from comparable.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

Ah but there you go...I mentioned him earlier and I quite like him but mainly for his with. ...but if he just had a announcers job I think it would be tiresome to listen to just that. "

Jonathan Ross is likely to speak/be heard more on his radio/televisions shows and for longer, more complex speech than the announcer. We get used to the cadence of speech the more we hear it.

I have more issues with standard speech on television and radio with dropped aitches, pronouncing them as 'haitch' and that 'Boro lass pronouncing ambulance as amberlance. I wouldn't denounce them all as unfit for their jobs because of it.

here

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

Ah but there you go...I mentioned him earlier and I quite like him but mainly for his with. ...but if he just had a announcers job I think it would be tiresome to listen to just that.

Jonathan Ross is likely to speak/be heard more on his radio/televisions shows and for longer, more complex speech than the announcer. We get used to the cadence of speech the more we hear it.

I have more issues with standard speech on television and radio with dropped aitches, pronouncing them as 'haitch' and that 'Boro lass pronouncing ambulance as amberlance. I wouldn't denounce them all as unfit for their jobs because of it.

"

“that ‘Boro lass” ...

Really???

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

"

Thats cos it's an amberlance up here

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

“that ‘Boro lass” ...

Really???"

Really....I'm from the boro and that's how I described her earlier on this thread

here

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

“that ‘Boro lass” ...

Really???

Really....I'm from the boro and that's how I described her earlier on this thread "

Well I will give you a stern face as well then!!!

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

Thats cos it's an amberlance up here "

Oh and that Boro lass was a stainsby girl....riddle the connection

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Your thoughts?

Can't listen to him!

“that ‘Boro lass” ...

Really???"

I was just quoting how she was referred to earlier in the thread.

here

"“that ‘Boro lass” ...

Really???

I was just quoting how she was referred to earlier in the thread.

"

Yes, by the OP ! Disgraceful

» Add a new message to this topic