FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cancer

Cancer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he Devils Daughter! OP   Woman  over a year ago

some where in yorkshire

So today after seeing my 2 best mates go through ovarian cancer n the months n treatment n as I work for nhs in same hospital they were both in they haveboth got the all clear for at least 6 months n to do my bit I’ve decided to cut my hair off a hell of a lot shorter than it is n give it to a charity that makes wigs from real hair for cancer survivor’s , I think I’ll go for shoulder length hair as far too scared to go the whole hog n shave my head , any more of u fabulous people done something for cancer survivor’s .. it’s such a good cause x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Only charity shops. Good for you for doing something more dramatic and meaningful.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Spent almost 3 years growing mine just to cut it off and donate to the sane cause fir not dissimilar reasons

"So today after seeing my 2 best mates go through ovarian cancer n the months n treatment n as I work for nhs in same hospital they were both in they haveboth got the all clear for at least 6 months n to do my bit I’ve decided to cut my hair off a hell of a lot shorter than it is n give it to a charity that makes wigs from real hair for cancer survivor’s , I think I’ll go for shoulder length hair as far too scared to go the whole hog n shave my head , any more of u fabulous people done something for cancer survivor’s .. it’s such a good cause x "

Yes girl..

What a beautiful thing to do x

funny how for many years cancer related to smoking .

smokings actually quite low on the list as a cause i believe..

im hearing ready meals , plastic packaging and all sorts

great lady by the way

much better doing what your doing than giving money

i heard 1p in the pound reaches the charity in a lot of cases

some where in yorkshire

"So today after seeing my 2 best mates go through ovarian cancer n the months n treatment n as I work for nhs in same hospital they were both in they haveboth got the all clear for at least 6 months n to do my bit I’ve decided to cut my hair off a hell of a lot shorter than it is n give it to a charity that makes wigs from real hair for cancer survivor’s , I think I’ll go for shoulder length hair as far too scared to go the whole hog n shave my head , any more of u fabulous people done something for cancer survivor’s .. it’s such a good cause x

Yes girl..

What a beautiful thing to do x"

Thank you , I’m going to get booked in to hairdressers n get it cut off next week , it’s goingto feel so weird going back to shoulder length as it’s half way down my back but it makes me happy I’m doing it for a good cause x

some where in yorkshire

"funny how for many years cancer related to smoking .

smokings actually quite low on the list as a cause i believe..

im hearing ready meals , plastic packaging and all sorts "

Neither of them have smoked so keep it negative comments to your self

Other than that I've doe quite a bit; donate to food banks,looking iking at helping at the local homeless shelter, taken under privileged kids on activity holidays, volunteered at Christmas at a YMCA, help the charity my girlfriend ran VLM for every year at London. There's probably more over the years

some where in yorkshire

"great lady by the way

much better doing what your doing than giving money

i heard 1p in the pound reaches the charity in a lot of cases"

Thank you , I’ll post the pics of my short hair next week x

some where in yorkshire

"Spent almost 3 years growing mine just to cut it off and donate to the sane cause fir not dissimilar reasons"

some where in yorkshire

Obviously for privacy reasons I can’t show my face n hair length on here but if any of u want to know I’ll gladly pm u my hair as it is now and an after pic

"Other than that I've doe quite a bit; donate to food banks,looking iking at helping at the local homeless shelter, taken under privileged kids on activity holidays, volunteered at Christmas at a YMCA, help the charity my girlfriend ran VLM for every year at London. There's probably more over the years"

I oooppssss I misread tge post as done stiff for charity (hence the list) not done stuff for cancer

Shaved my head 4 years ago and now complete an annual long distance cycle ride for my local cancer unit.

294 miles last year over 3 days and now planning this years jaunt!

some where in yorkshire

"Shaved my head 4 years ago and now complete an annual long distance cycle ride for my local cancer unit.

294 miles last year over 3 days and now planning this years jaunt!"

Well done that makes me feel so humble n so happy ..u are amazing

"Obviously for privacy reasons I can’t show my face n hair length on here but if any of u want to know I’ll gladly pm u my hair as it is now and an after pic "
would love to see that , and great news on your friends. What your doing is fantastic by the way x

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

My cousin did the same & had his big haircut yesterday!

Frank is in remission & we’re getting married at Christmas - we will be making a donation to MacMillan as a thank you for the support they gave to us

B x

some where in yorkshire

"Obviously for privacy reasons I can’t show my face n hair length on here but if any of u want to know I’ll gladly pm u my hair as it is now and an after pic would love to see that , and great news on your friends. What your doing is fantastic by the way x "

Thank you ... I’ll post my short hair cut soon xx

By *partan1Man  over a year ago

Slough

I have recovered twice now

Any support is always welcome

Well done for doing your bit xxx

I’ve done a few runs and a night walk.

That’s great, I do the st Giles hospice lottery every month after losing the brother in law. It might not be a great deal but for me it’s a big commitment financially x

some where in yorkshire

Thank you to everyone that posted on this it means the world to me n gives me the strength to cut my hair x thank you so much you are all amazing x

Every year I do something to raise money for cancer research. I've been fighting breast cancer myself for several years and always try to do my bit to help.

I've been walking 10,000 steps every day in March this year to raise money and awareness.

Well done for getting involved! And thank you

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"So today after seeing my 2 best mates go through ovarian cancer n the months n treatment n as I work for nhs in same hospital they were both in they haveboth got the all clear for at least 6 months n to do my bit I’ve decided to cut my hair off a hell of a lot shorter than it is n give it to a charity that makes wigs from real hair for cancer survivor’s , I think I’ll go for shoulder length hair as far too scared to go the whole hog n shave my head , any more of u fabulous people done something for cancer survivor’s .. it’s such a good cause x "

Bold move and a very big statement, good for you.

[Removed by poster at 29/03/18 19:57:41]

I survived cancer years ago, so it is nice to what you are willing to do for your mates.

I got talked into posing for a calendar, it was worse than having the operation to remove the cancer. But the calendar raised quite a big of money for cancer research.

some where in yorkshire

"Every year I do something to raise money for cancer research. I've been fighting breast cancer myself for several years and always try to do my bit to help.

I've been walking 10,000 steps every day in March this year to raise money and awareness.

Well done for getting involved! And thank you "

Thank you too for raising money for this cause. Ur a star x

some where in yorkshire

"I survived cancer years ago, so it is nice to what you are willing to do for your mates.

I got talked into posing for a calendar, it was worse than having the operation to remove the cancer. But the calendar raised quite a big of money for cancer research. "

Thank u for ur lovely comment n hope u carry on with ur cause for cancer ... it’s such an ugly word n hate it , but thanks to everyone on here it really helps n thank you all sooo much xx

"I survived cancer years ago, so it is nice to what you are willing to do for your mates.

I got talked into posing for a calendar, it was worse than having the operation to remove the cancer. But the calendar raised quite a big of money for cancer research.

Thank u for ur lovely comment n hope u carry on with ur cause for cancer ... it’s such an ugly word n hate it , but thanks to everyone on here it really helps n thank you all sooo much xx"

Sometimes you get the best words from such a nasty thing, nothing (in my life) compares to being told that you have been given the all clear.

I've nursed people at the end of life, I've done race for life and sponsored events, I've done bake sales and run stalls. However my hair is a big thing for me and I couldn't bare to give it up, a close friend of mine had breast cancer and lost hers and her hair bothered her as much as losing her breasts and I would say I would be the same- hence that's why I couldn't brave the shave but well done to those who can.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Having just gone through treatment myself and seeing others suffering far far more than I did during treatment, I feel rather lucky.

I owe the staff that treated me with dignity, when almost all dignity had gone, and a little humour at the right moments, a great debt of gratitude and have plans afoot, with friends, to raise money to support the good work they do..

Op, one point to note, with your hair, ensure enough length is taken so the wigmaker has enough to work with, about an inch is needed in the knot.. great thing to do though.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

"My cousin did the same & had his big haircut yesterday!

Frank is in remission & we’re getting married at Christmas - we will be making a donation to MacMillan as a thank you for the support they gave to us

B x"

Remind me nearer the time. I would love to do some fundraising in my area, to add to your donation xx

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Last year I held a MacMillan murder mystery night and had it as a fab social. We raised over £100 pounds. We held a second night and raised money for Bloodwise, a cancer charity for blood related charities. This was requested by a fab friend as he had a close family member with cancer.

I’ve spoken fo fellow fabbers who have had cancer scares or being treated for cancer. Sometimes even chatting about other things and acting as a distraction can be good.

Lost someone today. So thinking of those who have too x

"Last year I held a MacMillan murder mystery night and had it as a fab social. We raised over £100 pounds. We held a second night and raised money for Bloodwise, a cancer charity for blood related charities. This was requested by a fab friend as he had a close family member with cancer.

I’ve spoken fo fellow fabbers who have had cancer scares or being treated for cancer. Sometimes even chatting about other things and acting as a distraction can be good. "

Also just talking about it can help them get it right in their heads.

By *ookingforlustMan  over a year ago

northants

I lost my dad to the fecking thing. I’ve done various things over the years to raise money, but the best one I did was the London to Brighton challenge. 100km in 22 hours. My blisters had blisters. But I raised nearly £1500 for CRUK so the blisters were worth it

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"I lost my dad to the fecking thing. I’ve done various things over the years to raise money, but the best one I did was the London to Brighton challenge. 100km in 22 hours. My blisters had blisters. But I raised nearly £1500 for CRUK so the blisters were worth it"

I take my hat of to you.

I have done the bike ride a few times and don't really think about it, but that is some achievement.

» Add a new message to this topic