FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Upward bullying

Upward bullying

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What experience have you had or been aware of re the existence of “upward bullying” in the workplace.

This is specifically where a member or members of staff are bullying a manager.

Or perhaps you don’t think it can exist?

All answers interested in hearing please. I’m canvassing general feedback. Not a specific scenario in mind, it came up in conversation today and I wanted to see what the forum thought.

Please keep to topic, in that this is not bullying by a manager downwards to staff. Thanks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It happens. Undermining a manager, causing issues and then the buck stopping with manager. Ive seen it happen

It can definitely happen, I've seen it. It requires the manager having a strong manager who can resolve the situation. Without strong management its a tough situation.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I bully my 'managers' on a daily basis. I dis them behind their backs. Get others to join in the backstabbing whilst saying wonderfully empowering things to their faces....... i'm amazing at it.

Psssssst....... isn't 'manager/s' a pretty outdated term ?

King's Crustacean

"It can definitely happen, I've seen it. It requires the manager having a strong manager who can resolve the situation. Without strong management its a tough situation."

You overdosed on derivatives of manage....

"I bully my 'managers' on a daily basis. I dis them behind their backs. Get others to join in the backstabbing whilst saying wonderfully empowering things to their faces....... i'm amazing at it.

Psssssst....... isn't 'manager/s' a pretty outdated term ?"

Why is manager/s an outdated term?

All the time.

In my workplace I know people who make it hard for managers but really sneakily. Like the manager might not be around and the supervisors are weak so when the manager tells the group (10ish) to get work done 6-7 will do nothing and when the work isn't done the manager can't really blame anyone specifically so takes the fall out. I'd class that as bullying.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"It happens. Undermining a manager, causing issues and then the buck stopping with manager. Ive seen it happen"

I've had it happen unfortunately

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"What experience have you had or been aware of re the existence of “upward bullying” in the workplace.

This is specifically where a member or members of staff are bullying a manager.

Or perhaps you don’t think it can exist?

All answers interested in hearing please. I’m canvassing general feedback. Not a specific scenario in mind, it came up in conversation today and I wanted to see what the forum thought.

Please keep to topic, in that this is not bullying by a manager downwards to staff. Thanks. "

It happens where I work and it's referred to as banter which grinds my gears, it's always the same person too who thinks she's the manager but isn't.

By *uckymooMan  over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

It constantly happens, it was often militant union people but so much nowadays, if manager shows any weakness or leaves any opportunity they are in like vipers

By *aughtyLittleMissWoman  over a year ago

Aberdeen

I've got a member of my staff at the moment - I'm not sure I would class it as actual bullying, however she constantly undermines me and defies direct orders, but not in an obvious way....

King's Crustacean

"I bully my 'managers' on a daily basis. I dis them behind their backs. Get others to join in the backstabbing whilst saying wonderfully empowering things to their faces....... i'm amazing at it.

Why is manager/s an outdated term?"

Cos Blanche, anyone worth their salt LEADS. Managers are ten a penny and good for fuck all really. Petty people with egos inflated to greater capacity than a barage balloon. Lollipop ladies manage. Mums manage. Twats manage. It's a misleading label for 'yes' puppets who are desperate for recognition by those they recognise.+

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Carnt the "manager" report it to the boss or even fire the bullies.

Or just swomp them with extra work. Arfter all thay are the manager,s.

Cos Blanche, anyone worth their salt LEADS. Managers are ten a penny and good for fuck all really. Petty people with egos inflated to greater capacity than a barage balloon. Lollipop ladies manage. Mums manage. Twats manage. It's a misleading label for 'yes' puppets who are desperate for recognition by those they recognise.+"

Right . Anyhooooo....

Cos Blanche, anyone worth their salt LEADS. Managers are ten a penny and good for fuck all really. Petty people with egos inflated to greater capacity than a barage balloon. Lollipop ladies manage. Mums manage. Twats manage. It's a misleading label for 'yes' puppets who are desperate for recognition by those they recognise.+

Right . Anyhooooo...."

"I've got a member of my staff at the moment - I'm not sure I would class it as actual bullying, however she constantly undermines me and defies direct orders, but not in an obvious way...."

I would defy and undermine my manager if she "ordered" me, I react much better to being asked, which is what mine does.

King's Crustacean

You'll need specs with bulgy eyes like that

"Carnt the "manager" report it to the boss or even fire the bullies.

Or just swomp them with extra work. Arfter all thay are the manager,s."

You know how hard it is to fire someone? Well in Ireland anyway. I know someone who didn't turn up to work for a month telling lies why they couldn't and when he was in he was basically on a go slow and did substandard work. Took loads of long weekends aswell with a new excuse each time. I think he committed 30+ offences in a year before being fired

Ive seen it happen plenty of times

Mainly when people who have been in the job years get a new manager/team leader.

I actually get one really well with my team leader. Mostly because we’re left to it and we’re trusted to get the job done.

Happens more than we think

"I've got a member of my staff at the moment - I'm not sure I would class it as actual bullying, however she constantly undermines me and defies direct orders, but not in an obvious way....

I would defy and undermine my manager if she "ordered" me, I react much better to being asked, which is what mine does. "

I understand your point, but I think your response to defy and undermine rather than discuss the issue is a shame. I’d be disappointed with a childish response like that if my staff did it, it’s a bit tit for tat! Also, I think you may have over interpreted the post. It’s a well known term and it may well have been requested in delivery!

Interesting point nonetheless.

King's Crustacean

The problem is the 'sensitive' managers. Those with inflated egos. Those obsessed with labels rather than ability. Who think that everyone with a 'lesser' label has to succumb to their totally twattish ineffective ideas and orders.

So easy to cry bully instead of showing some leadership ability.

"The problem is the 'sensitive' managers. Those with inflated egos. Those obsessed with labels rather than ability. Who think that everyone with a 'lesser' label has to succumb to their totally twattish ineffective ideas and orders.

So easy to cry bully instead of showing some leadership ability. "

Yes Granny, I think everyone heard you. Is that bath ready yet?

King's Crustacean

"I've got a member of my staff at the moment - I'm not sure I would class it as actual bullying, however she constantly undermines me and defies direct orders, but not in an obvious way....

I would defy and undermine my manager if she "ordered" me, I react much better to being asked, which is what mine does.

I understand your point, but I think your response to defy and undermine rather than discuss the issue is a shame. I’d be disappointed with a childish response like that if my staff did it, it’s a bit tit for tat! Also, I think you may have over interpreted the post. It’s a well known term and it may well have been requested in delivery!

Interesting point nonetheless."

I find calling this posters response 'childish' to be bullying.

King's Crustacean

The vestige of a manager.

I find calling this posters response 'childish' to be bullying. "

I find your behaviour more childish

King's Crustacean

"The problem is the 'sensitive' managers. Those with inflated egos. Those obsessed with labels rather than ability. Who think that everyone with a 'lesser' label has to succumb to their totally twattish ineffective ideas and orders.

Yes Granny, I think everyone heard you. Is that bath ready yet? "

No. Why don't you 'manage' me into my bath?

"The vestige of a manager. "

Or a bully.

"The vestige of a manager.

Or a bully."

No. Why don't you 'manage' me into my bath? "

I’m not paid to care for the elderly, no ta.

King's Crustacean

I find your behaviour more childish "

Well it saves you from making a valuable response. Labelling is easy. The vestige of the poor manager.

Well it saves you from making a valuable response. Labelling is easy. The vestige of the poor manager. "

But she isn’t your manager?

King's Crustacean

No. Why don't you 'manage' me into my bath?

I’m not paid to care for the elderly, no ta."

You're ageist too.

Granny, I’m interested in hearing others’ opinion. If you just want to have a go at me, you’re welcome to do it on PM. It sounds like you’ve a problem with me and the theme of my thread that means you want to derail it?

King's Crustacean

Well it saves you from making a valuable response. Labelling is easy. The vestige of the poor manager.

But she isn’t your manager? "

No. She isn't. But at no point did I say she was.

King's Crustacean

"Granny, I’m interested in hearing others’ opinion. If you just want to have a go at me, you’re welcome to do it on PM. It sounds like you’ve a problem with me and the theme of my thread that means you want to derail it? "

That's rather self indulgent of you. Not to mention accusative without grounds. Best you don't respond to me.

Some managers are people managers

Some arent.

As much People say this riles me as if you manage people shouldn’t people managerment come into it

I have to get on with people, part of my job even if I hate them i am still professional

"Some managers are people managers

Some arent.

As much People say this riles me as if you manage people shouldn’t people managerment come into it

I have to get on with people, part of my job even if I hate them i am still professional

"

Oh I agree - I didn’t get on with my last manager (nobody did) but she was good at her job. Just not a people person.

"Granny, I’m interested in hearing others’ opinion. If you just want to have a go at me, you’re welcome to do it on PM. It sounds like you’ve a problem with me and the theme of my thread that means you want to derail it?

That's rather self indulgent of you. Not to mention accusative without grounds. Best you don't respond to me. "

It was question. There was a question mark

King's Crustacean

Some arent.

"

You'd be amazed how many 'managers' are not people people. They really do believe that others are beneath them and there to do their bidding without question...... So much better to lead than try to 'herd cats'

Aaaaaaanyway

To pull this back on track.....

I could probably think of several occasions where I’ve seen managers bullied, not always severely but definitely undermined.

A lot of people try hide behind their contracts in my opinion

Some arent.

You'd be amazed how many 'managers' are not people people. They really do believe that others are beneath them and there to do their bidding without question...... So much better to lead than try to 'herd cats' "

Oh i get it totally the industry im in.

Some arent.

You'd be amazed how many 'managers' are not people people. They really do believe that others are beneath them and there to do their bidding without question...... So much better to lead than try to 'herd cats' "

As someone of the younger working generation, from what I’ve seen this is changing. It’s the old school managers who seem to believe this. Generally the ones who are 50+ and heading towards retirement.

The younger ones I’ve worked with are mostly the complete opposite

King's Crustacean

"Aaaaaaanyway

I could probably think of several occasions where I’ve seen managers bullied, not always severely but definitely undermined.

A lot of people try hide behind their contracts in my opinion "

I'd support any manager i thought was bullied. How do people hide behind their contract ?

Some arent.

You'd be amazed how many 'managers' are not people people. They really do believe that others are beneath them and there to do their bidding without question...... So much better to lead than try to 'herd cats'

As someone of the younger working generation, from what I’ve seen this is changing. It’s the old school managers who seem to believe this. Generally the ones who are 50+ and heading towards retirement.

The younger ones I’ve worked with are mostly the complete opposite "

I completely agree!

We have 2 managers at work.

1 of them is really fair and although she gets on better with certain people she treats everyone the same.

The other 1 has her favourites and she's very very obvious about it.

When the 2 of them are on together they get treated as our managers.

When the 2nd one is in one her own she gets treated awfully, The only people who speak to her with an ounce of respect are those who are her 'favourites' everyone treats and speak to her like rubbish.

"Aaaaaaanyway

I'd support any manager i thought was bullied. How do people hide behind their contract ?"

It’s too long winded for me to be arsed to explain if I’m honest. Mainly using certain contract conditions to get leverage on a manager who needs support e.g work extra shifts.

King's Crustacean

Some arent.

The younger ones I’ve worked with are mostly the complete opposite "

Not all. It's more to do with personality than generation in my experience. I do find most younger workers that I work with to be leaders rather than managers. More team builders than dividers. Less up their own bums than the old guard. That's my experience with the good work force i've been lucky enough to spend my days with.

By *arlo82Couple  over a year ago

the gym and random places

I think irrespective of the term 'manager' 'supervisor' 'team leader' it can happen to anyone .

Sadly it's usually when others feel threatened.... mainly I've found it in roles where they are absolute twats!

Power tripping numpties..... thankfully that seems to be something phasing out in structures of employment

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

I had a male manager as part of my sales/admin team. He had issues with women in authority so he made various attempts to try and sabotage procedures I’d implemented to ensure the smooth running of the business. He made the mistake of deliberately going against my specific instructions while I was on holiday and the M.D. was overseeing my team. This was followed by attempting to drag his staff in on his unprofessional behaviour. What he’d forgotten was I put the team together before I became a director and they enjoyed working with me. Gross misconduct, instant dismissal. If you’re a good ‘manager’ you may get isolated instances such as this but they’re easily dealt with because you have the support of your team

King's Crustacean

"Aaaaaaanyway

I'd support any manager i thought was bullied. How do people hide behind their contract ?

It’s too long winded for me to be arsed to explain if I’m honest. Mainly using certain contract conditions to get leverage on a manager who needs support e.g work extra shifts. "

Well if you c.b.a...... pfffffft

It's leadership now.

"I think irrespective of the term 'manager' 'supervisor' 'team leader' it can happen to anyone .

Sadly it's usually when others feel threatened.... mainly I've found it in roles where they are absolute twats!

Power tripping numpties..... thankfully that seems to be something phasing out in structures of employment "

Thank you. Maybe I should have said leaders but I used the role title from the article that had caused the discussion! Dear lord!

Some arent.

Not all. It's more to do with personality than generation in my experience. I do find most younger workers that I work with to be leaders rather than managers. More team builders than dividers. Less up their own bums than the old guard. That's my experience with the good work force i've been lucky enough to spend my days with. "

I said most, not all.

The old schoolers are mostly like that scene in Matilda

I'm right, you’re wrong

I’m big, you’re small

I’m smart, you’re dumb

The younger ones seem to be willing to listen and work together.

It's leadership now. "

Not in role title and not in the scenario my conversation came from.

King's Crustacean

"I think irrespective of the term 'manager' 'supervisor' 'team leader' it can happen to anyone .

Power tripping numpties..... thankfully that seems to be something phasing out in structures of employment "

I agree to a degree Darlo. Power tripping numpties feel okay until they need the team on their side....... then they are at a loss as to why people tread them with respect to how they treat others. Then they label it 'bullying' .....

By *uckymooMan  over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"I've got a member of my staff at the moment - I'm not sure I would class it as actual bullying, however she constantly undermines me and defies direct orders, but not in an obvious way...."

Well be strong and firm but also be consistent.

You need to also call them out as any sign of weakness will be used to enlist others. Manager her out of your team or better still the business

Good luck

King's Crustacean

Some arent.

Not all. It's more to do with personality than generation in my experience. I do find most younger workers that I work with to be leaders rather than managers. More team builders than dividers. Less up their own bums than the old guard. That's my experience with the good work force i've been lucky enough to spend my days with.

I said most, not all.

The old schoolers are mostly like that scene in Matilda

I'm right, you’re wrong

I’m big, you’re small

I’m smart, you’re dumb

The younger ones seem to be willing to listen and work together. "

It's less to do with age than emotional intelligence to my thinking but i do think that generation and the culture of that generation plays a large part. Team work , intelligence and building relationships isn't the reserve of the young or the new. Best to find strength where strength is wouldn't you say ?

By *sylockeWoman  over a year ago

East Anglia

Right . Anyhooooo....

"

Yes.....well the weather was nice today?....

By *arlo82Couple  over a year ago

the gym and random places

Power tripping numpties..... thankfully that seems to be something phasing out in structures of employment

Thank you. Maybe I should have said leaders but I used the role title from the article that had caused the discussion! Dear lord! "

I wasn't criticising Blanche I was just saying irrespective of the vast number of titles handed out to those apparently higher up the ladder they can be bullied by others "below" them. Or rather in a position of a different level.

Sucks either way tbh up or down bullying.

Thank you. Maybe I should have said leaders but I used the role title from the article that had caused the discussion! Dear lord!

I wasn't criticising Blanche I was just saying irrespective of the vast number of titles handed out to those apparently higher up the ladder they can be bullied by others "below" them. Or rather in a position of a different level.

Sucks either way tbh up or down bullying.

"

Ahh no, I know you weren’t criticising

I was confirming that the title was irrelevant to the thread tenor.

We’ve a stand in manager at my work and it’s went to her head it’s either her way or the high way and if anything goes tits up she’s quick to blame other folk, but like most managers she has her so called favourites ( like me arses as I call them) which stands out like a sore thumb.

So just to reiterate, this is whether you’ve come across upward bullying not downward bullying.

Thank you.

Bullying either way

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

'upward bullying' is definitely a thing, particularly when you have a group of people with the same manager who can gang up on her/him.

In many situations, the manager won't really have all that much power unless they go up the chain, which they may well be reluctant to do for fear of seeming weak or poor at their job.

"Bullying either way"

Absolutely.

But not the question asked.

I find it quite sad that adults in the workplace feel the need to bully at all

I was the victim of a grievance when I worked for local government. Why? Because I managed a small team of staff who generally wanted to take the piss and bullied one of the girls in the team who was basically the only decent worker I had. She left her job because her being bullied was ignored (because my line manager was mates with some of those doing the bullying). When she left they then started on me (and trust me I ain't no shrinking violet!!) and even one of the Union reps (who was a spineless little twat) became one of their allies and stirred shit up. I spent the best part of 9 months going through a grievance process that was total and utter bollocks and was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing (because funnily enough I hadn't actually done anything!).

I'd never work for local government again. It was an utter disgrace the way I was treated and the Unions and people protected by then have way too much power. The whole ordeal left a very bitter taste in my mouth and the stress I was under had a big impact on my health at the time.

"I find it quite sad that adults in the workplace feel the need to bully at all "

Adults anywhere, yes. I wonder if it’s often down to misinterpretations, miscommunications and occasions of lack of empathy and then rockets from there?

Or if some just like to be cunts to others for their own amusement?

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've only read the OP. I have vast experience of this, in different organisations, but can't say anything publicly.

Drop me a line if you want to talk about this.

"I find it quite sad that adults in the workplace feel the need to bully at all

Adults anywhere, yes. I wonder if it’s often down to misinterpretations, miscommunications and occasions of lack of empathy and then rockets from there?

Or if some just like to be cunts to others for their own amusement? "

The latter......I know a lot of cunts who are just that way out

"I've only read the OP. I have vast experience of this, in different organisations, but can't say anything publicly.

Drop me a line if you want to talk about this.

"

I was simply interested in hearing the opinion of a more readily accessible mass cross section than there being a scenario to discuss, thank you though. It’s sad there’s a prevalence given the initial responses. It’s also interesting to see the opinion negating it, unless it is in their opinion one of bullying.

The latter......I know a lot of cunts who are just that way out "

Yep.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

I left my last job because of this.

Having been at the company for 2 years, and having 5 years experience in the industry I was promoted and moved to another branch. The staff were all lovely, except for one person who felt that she should have been given the job (despite the fact that unlike me, she had no training or qualifications in the clinical side of the role). She made my life hell from day one!

I tried to deal with it both formally and informally but nothing worked. Ultimately I ended up lodging a formal grievance with my employers and when nothing was done by upper management I went off work sick and never went back. I stayed off work sick until I had found a new job, about 4 months. When they wanted to conduct an exit interview with me I simply said there really is no need, you already know exactly why I’m leaving and how I feel about my time here.

Since I left I have had to go back there as a patient. On that occasion she was there and her attitude and the way I was treated was so appalling that I made a formal complaint as a service user.

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

The latter......I know a lot of cunts who are just that way out "

Ain't that the truth!!

Dickhead at our place thinks it's perfectly okay to fuck you over on a daily basis with the workload then be all pally with you when he's happy that he's fucked you over, acts all surprised that you'd be a tad miffed with him. He's totally hated but he's convinced he has everyone fooled with his antics. What a thick cunt.

“Or if some just like to be cunts to others for their own amusement? "

This explains my work industry

I manage a team of men who are 10- 25 years older than me... so definite attempts at undermining happen but by god do a squash them back under the thumb

By *imited 3EditionCouple  over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"It can definitely happen, I've seen it. It requires the manager having a strong manager who can resolve the situation. Without strong management its a tough situation."

Sadly I've experienced this first hand. I was undermined and my line manager failed to support me. Situation was never resolved. It's had a bad impact on the rest of the team too.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Sadly it does happen. Upwards downwards and even across the same levels in the corporate world.

I never regret leaving behind the internal politics the backstabbing and front stabbing that goes with corporate structures which are usually designed to promote competition internal rivalries and the pursuit of profit at all costs.

My worst problems in running businesses have always been managing staff, jealousies, personality conflicts, poor communication, vested personal and departmental conflicts. It's the insidious nature of those conflicts that always cause the major problems in any corporate structure but then it's often people who share nothing in common beyond their employer that cause such issues. I have seen manager and staff reduced to tears often in my office by the actions of others. But then people can be totally self obsessed at times and tend to believe their opinion is always right no matter what the evidence otherwise...

I walked away from the corporate world... smiling...

I have never looked back.

By *xyzptlk088Man  over a year ago

Galway

what a twattish response,I would love someone to catch you being facetious. the term manager/managers is hardly outdated people who manage teams in a work situation are managers,in sports there are managers and the term is used on a daily basis by millions worldwide.

By *ong legs n LingeireWoman  over a year ago

it up to me neck. :-)

I guess this is kinda the same thing?

I work with teenage kids. Currently being harassed by them on a daily basis.

Email today from another member of staff stating. "They don't seem to want a solution to the current problem. In my opinion they want to harass you until you snap".

Treading on eggshells which is soul destroying.

Having worked with kids for the best part of 20 years it breaks my heart feeling like this.

I've had it and seen it when I used to work at Maplin. The staff would take the piss as they know the buck stops at the manager when targets aren't met and tasks fall by the wayside and getting rid of shit staff is a long process and they usually end up going before you get any headway with it. I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore.

By *xyzptlk088Man  over a year ago

Galway

had a peek at your profile,I'm guessing you're just a troll.

» Add a new message to this topic