FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Celebrating the Olympians!

Celebrating the Olympians!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

Medal or not, hats off to them! Anyone with the drive to get up 4 hours before work, in all weather's to do that run/ swim/ ride or whatever deserves all the respect in the world! It's too easy these days to sit on your arse and consume. Try and use their inspiration before it's just a memory clouded by cake and snapchat.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I do admire their dedication to be the best they can at their chosen discipline - not just for the Olympics every 4 years but in the day to day competition and training they do!

But I also like consuming cake. I know I need to eat less cake, but I still like it!

Where is the local bobsleigh track...I quite fancy trying that

salisbury

"Where is the local bobsleigh track...I quite fancy trying that "

Yeah that is a mystery. Still all starts with a run.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Helps when you're getting funded to do it though.

Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed my mile swim before work on Thursday.

"Where is the local bobsleigh track...I quite fancy trying that

Yeah that is a mystery. Still all starts with a run. "

Hubby and I were watching it this morning and wondering how the hell people get chosen to represent GB's bobsleigh team in this country???

Its not like you can practice like the guys from Cool Runnings in your local park and get scouted......

But everyone has done amazingly this year

salisbury

"Helps when you're getting funded to do it though.

Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed my mile swim before work on Thursday. "

Shocking how our female bob sleighers were treated. I admire anyone who can swim. I doubt i could swim a width!

"Medal or not, hats off to them! Anyone with the drive to get up 4 hours before work, in all weather's to do that run/ swim/ ride or whatever deserves all the respect in the world! It's too easy these days to sit on your arse and consume. Try and use their inspiration before it's just a memory clouded by cake and snapchat. "

evesham

Hubby and I were watching it this morning and wondering how the hell people get chosen to represent GB's bobsleigh team in this country???

Its not like you can practice like the guys from Cool Runnings in your local park and get scouted......

But everyone has done amazingly this year "

The British Bobsleigh and Skeleton Association are based in Bath and looking on their website it seems they have tarmac practice runs but I'm guessing they also go further afield for ice practice

salisbury

Where do the speed skaters practise? I feel a need to cheer them on...

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Sod Snapchat...its Brandy snap all the way for me.

I think the Winter Olympics are top draw,but I don't think I'll ever participate unless they introduce darts on ice.

salisbury

"Sod Snapchat...its Brandy snap all the way for me.

I think the Winter Olympics are top draw,but I don't think I'll ever participate unless they introduce darts on ice. "

Curling is probably the closest you'll get!

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"

For some of them it barely covers costs

salisbury

For some of them it barely covers costs"

Exactly. And we're one of the only countries who give no financial award to medal winners.

By *ibbyhunterCouple  over a year ago

keighley

We spent 31 million pounds on our winter Olympic team through mainly lottery funding that's 6 million per medal we won. yet we still have food banks in some cities here! hope they enjoy their medals

salisbury

"We spent 31 million pounds on our winter Olympic team through mainly lottery funding that's 6 million per medal we won. yet we still have food banks in some cities here! hope they enjoy their medals"

Yep. Supporting things like the Olympics, sport England etc is one of the only reasons i support the national lottery. It's not just how many medals were won. Its about inspiring the nation to get out and do something with their lives, so hopefully we won't have a nation of people who need food banks in the future.

"We spent 31 million pounds on our winter Olympic team through mainly lottery funding that's 6 million per medal we won. yet we still have food banks in some cities here! hope they enjoy their medals

Yep. Supporting things like the Olympics, sport England etc is one of the only reasons i support the national lottery. It's not just how many medals were won. Its about inspiring the nation to get out and do something with their lives, so hopefully we won't have a nation of people who need food banks in the future. "

Good lord, Clem. Failing to be active and sporty has nothing to do with the reason we have a rise in food bank usage. Do you really believe that?

salisbury

"We spent 31 million pounds on our winter Olympic team through mainly lottery funding that's 6 million per medal we won. yet we still have food banks in some cities here! hope they enjoy their medals

Yep. Supporting things like the Olympics, sport England etc is one of the only reasons i support the national lottery. It's not just how many medals were won. Its about inspiring the nation to get out and do something with their lives, so hopefully we won't have a nation of people who need food banks in the future.

Good lord, Clem. Failing to be active and sporty has nothing to do with the reason we have a rise in food bank usage. Do you really believe that?"

Do you think we should stop investing in sport for children (from the national lottery) because people use food banks? Do you think the national lottery should be used to prop up government's failings? Do you think teaching children self discipline and focus and ambition could be detrimental to society?

evesham

"We spent 31 million pounds on our winter Olympic team through mainly lottery funding that's 6 million per medal we won. yet we still have food banks in some cities here! hope they enjoy their medals"

What has food banks got. To do with lottery funding?

I'm sure they will enjoy their medals and I hope that they do.

People using food banks is not the fault of Olympians or their funding source. It is to do with the government and unemployment and socio-economic policies.

Good lord, Clem. Failing to be active and sporty has nothing to do with the reason we have a rise in food bank usage. Do you really believe that?

Do you think we should stop investing in sport for children (from the national lottery) because people use food banks? Do you think the national lottery should be used to prop up government's failings? Do you think teaching children self discipline and focus and ambition could be detrimental to society? "

Are food banks funded by the national lottery Clem?

And no, you know full well I’m not advocating plugging gaps in policies and am an advocate for sport and arts etc. However, if and I mean only if, it was an absolute black and white choice to choose ensuing food for someone starving versus funding for sport then yes, I choose feeding someone. Not that it is boiled down to that choice.

You made it sound that you thought food poverty was caused by lack of sporting.

Do you think we should stop investing in sport for children (from the national lottery) because people use food banks? Do you think the national lottery should be used to prop up government's failings? Do you think teaching children self discipline and focus and ambition could be detrimental to society?

Are food banks funded by the national lottery Clem?

And no, you know full well I’m not advocating plugging gaps in policies and am an advocate for sport and arts etc. However, if and I mean only if, it was an absolute black and white choice to choose ensuing food for someone starving versus funding for sport then yes, I choose feeding someone. Not that it is boiled down to that choice.

You made it sound that you thought food poverty was caused by lack of sporting. "

*ensuring

I checked and yes, the lottery does fund food banks.

I still standby the fact that I’m okay with this. Not the need for food banks - the need must be addressed through policy change. I agree with you on that Clem. However I feel the initial comment read entirely differently.

salisbury

I think you're looking to pick a fight to make yourself feel better. It's fine.

salisbury

Time to stop sending money abroad until we can stop food shortages at home maybe.

" Time to stop sending money abroad until we can stop food shortages at home maybe. "

I agree with Blanche

Thats how I read your post, too.

Saying she is trying to pick a fight, is a bit of a cop out tbh.

Its not food shortages that is the problem, it is the money to PAY for the food. The benefits system is in crisis, and many people struggle to pay their bills, because they earn so little.

"I think you're looking to pick a fight to make yourself feel better. It's fine. "

I’m not picking a fight at all. I was stating my opinion, I’m rational and able to have a discussion whilst also processing some pain elsewhere. I’m sorry that you so easily dismiss my opinion like that.

salisbury

" Time to stop sending money abroad until we can stop food shortages at home maybe.

I agree with Blanche

Thats how I read your post, too.

Saying she is trying to pick a fight, is a bit of a cop out tbh.

Its not food shortages that is the problem, it is the money to PAY for the food. The benefits system is in crisis, and many people struggle to pay their bills, because they earn so little. "

I think if you're looking to politicize something you'll jump on anything.

Yay... Olympics.

I don’t think I was looking to politicize something Clem, I read your comment and responded. I’m still not entirely sure what point you were initially making.

Yay the Olympics indeed.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Food banks and 'price' per medal disagreements aside did anyone see the British figure skater who's kneecap broke in two but still recovered rehabilitated and made it to the games?

salisbury

"Food banks and 'price' per medal disagreements aside did anyone see the British figure skater who's kneecap broke in two but still recovered rehabilitated and made it to the games? "

I did! Now that's an inspirational story!

But everyone has done amazingly this year "

They get poached from other sports I think.

I would guess there's a fairly specific physique that they go hunting for

Do the athletes manage to compete at this level and go to University?

I would guess there's a fairly specific physique that they go hunting for "

What's the draw for them? Are they mediochre at their chosen sport so happily move to have a chance at a n Olympic medal? Is it just medals that drives them?

I would guess there's a fairly specific physique that they go hunting for

What's the draw for them? Are they mediochre at their chosen sport so happily move to have a chance at a n Olympic medal? Is it just medals that drives them?"

Pretty much. If you are the 6th best in Britain at a sport and show ni signs of improving switching makes sense. Or you'll be retiring soon anyway as you'll lose your lottery funding

» Add a new message to this topic