FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The customer is always right

The customer is always right

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is this an old phrase that used to have a purpose many years ago or just an excuse for customers to be assholes?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

not in my world, i couldn’t work in the retail industry or any industry that deals with joe public, ive told clients in the past to fuck off before today and even threatened one cause of their bullshit attitude, indeed if i was to work at any customers services desk i wouldn’t last an hour

Until they are wrong

By *09309309Woman  over a year ago

Dublin

"Until they are wrong"

The best boss I ever had used to say that! The customer is always right until they are wrong.

I used to work in retail years ago. I decided to get out of it when a girl was shouting at me saying "I hope you have a baby born with a hole in its heart"

I genuinely burst into tears, as we were expecting at the time.

That was a dark moment.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I used to work in retail years ago. I decided to get out of it when a girl was shouting at me saying "I hope you have a baby born with a hole in its heart"

That was a dark moment. "

Customers can be picks at times for sure! I had one shout down the phone at me that she wished I'd get cancer and die!

"I used to work in retail years ago. I decided to get out of it when a girl was shouting at me saying "I hope you have a baby born with a hole in its heart"

jesus fecking christ!!!

evesham

Pricks not picks

That was a dark moment.

jesus fecking christ!!! "

Yeah, man. Life's too short for that sorta treatment

"Pricks not picks "

I don't know what it is with people, or what happens to them to make them behave like that.

evesham

"Pricks not picks

I don't know what it is with people, or what happens to them to make them behave like that. "

The sense of entitlement among people is growing at an ever increasing rate!

Don't get me wrong, I complain about stuff but I make sure I am polite and factual about it and get my point across without being an obnoxious c word. Tends to work better as well.

Holy shit. That is a fucked up thing for that piece of shit to say.

You didn't deserve to be treated like that

"Pricks not picks

I don't know what it is with people, or what happens to them to make them behave like that.

The sense of entitlement among people is growing at an ever increasing rate!

Don't get me wrong, I complain about stuff but I make sure I am polite and factual about it and get my point across without being an obnoxious c word. Tends to work better as well. "

Yeah I think the sense of entitlement turns adults into 5 year old. Instead of being civilised if there is a problem, the stomp and scream and shout until they get what they want.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

When I worked for the railways had an irate woman ring up asking why there were no trains running... we said there was an ongoing incident! And that the police were advising

She said that was not a good enough reason.. to which I suggested it might be worth her while searching out a radio or a television before she said anything else!

She slammed down the phone

"When I worked for the railways had an irate woman ring up asking why there were no trains running... we said there was an ongoing incident! And that the police were advising

She said that was not a good enough reason.. to which I suggested it might be worth her while searching out a radio or a television before she said anything else!

She slammed down the phone "

Should have told that lazy cow to get a bus lol

"When I worked for the railways had an irate woman ring up asking why there were no trains running... we said there was an ongoing incident! And that the police were advising

She slammed down the phone "

I love complaining about trains. Mostly because I know someone who works incredibly hard on the railways and it annoys him.

I think like a previous poster says there is a sense of entitlement in this country now.

Yes customers can be very rude and nasty.

And no the customer is definitely not always right, although they tend to think they are.

I get what I require mostly by being polite and asking nicely in shops ect.

And it's so rude when customers are on the phone when being served.

Although it's equally rude if staff are chatting whilst serving. Unless it's a pressing work related issue.

XXX

I hate that saying so much grrr

I've worked in hospitality for more years than I'd like to think about, and as far as I'm concerned, even if they aren't right you have to let them believe they're right. (Then rant out of view and out of ear shot with your supervisor.)

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

The customer is most definitely NOT always right! That old saying has to be one of the most bullshit sayings of all-time.

We sadly seem to live in times where some people not only think because they are a customer then they are automatically 'right' but that it also gives them the right to be incredibly rude as well. I deal with customers a lot in my job and I'll always go out of my way to help them if I can but all too often they make the fateful mistake of being rude or even downright offensive when it's totally uncalled for. People seem to have lost that skill of being respectful. I understand you've got an issue that's causing you a problem but don't forget you're dealing with another human being here. Manners go a long way but some will go into hissyfit mode right off the bat. It's so disproportionate to the situation. Shouting and swearing and waving your arms around won't make what you're saying any more right or me more inclined to help you. I'm a decent guy here to try and help you and that won't wash with me. The second they cross that line it's all over.

If you're right I'll try and help you. If you're in the wrong then I'll still try and resolve things in satisfactory way but you act like a total prick and I'll go out of my way to make sure you don't get what they want! I just feel some people need to get a bit of perspective on things.

"The customer is most definitely NOT always right! That old saying has to be one of the most bullshit sayings of all-time.

We sadly seem to live in times where some people not only think because they are a customer then they are automatically 'right' but that it also gives them the right to be incredibly rude as well. I deal with customers a lot in my job and I'll always go out of my way to help them if I can but all too often they make the fateful mistake of being rude or even downright offensive when it's totally uncalled for. People seem to have lost that skill of being respectful. I understand you've got an issue that's causing you a problem but don't forget you're dealing with another human being here. Manners go a long way but some will go into hissyfit mode right off the bat. It's so disproportionate to the situation. Shouting and swearing and waving your arms around won't make what you're saying any more right or me more inclined to help you. I'm a decent guy here to try and help you and that won't wash with me. The second they cross that line it's all over.

If you're right I'll try and help you. If you're in the wrong then I'll still try and resolve things in satisfactory way but you act like a total prick and I'll go out of my way to make sure you don't get what they want! I just feel some people need to get a bit of perspective on things."

I couldn't agree more

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Customers are not always right . I'm a better meat expert than an average customer . Someone once bought some fillet steak back and said " this isn't fillet steak you're ripping me off ". It was . The End.

"Until they are wrong

The best boss I ever had used to say that! The customer is always right until they are wrong. "

He was absolutly correct any buisness owner will say the same

Honestly, I feel like companies get away with so much these days. It's easy to point out customers who are wrongfully mean or nasty, but it's not that hard to come up with instances where companies treat their customers with little respect. I always think it's interesting when things go wrong and someone in customer services tells me that I have to understand that mistakes happen. Right. When a mistake happens on my end, and I don't pay on time or whatever else, a company rarely shows understanding. You're a number on a balance sheet to most companies (especially big companies) until something goes wrong on their end and then you have to be understanding and realize that you're dealing with the people not a faceless company, etc. Hmm.

I'm reasonable when I have a complaint, reasonable but not particularly understanding. When I get passed to the 4th customer service rep and I'm angry and they are being obtuse then it's hard not to get frustrated, regardless of whether that particular individual did anything wrong. Of course many customers are in the wrong, many customers are downright horrible, but I also think people in customer services sometimes need to realize that a customer doesn't just deal with them, personally. They are dealing with a whole company, they are passed from person to person, often to deal with a problem that is the company's responsibility.

As for the title of the thread, I dont think it was ever meant to be literal. It's a marketing statement. The idea is that a company makes more money overall when the customer is happy, even if the customer isn't "right" in any particular instance. We are just numbers on a balance sheet - and in that context the statement makes perfect sense.

By *ollyGWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

"not in my world, i couldn’t work in the retail industry or any industry that deals with joe public, ive told clients in the past to fuck off before today and even threatened one cause of their bullshit attitude, indeed if i was to work at any customers services desk i wouldn’t last an hour "

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

What some of the entitled, shouty, sweary, rude, arsehole types fail to realise is that their behaviour and attitude is what makes customer service providers dig their heels and not give them what they want.

After 25 years of retail I now work in a call centre at a depot of a large delivery company. If you’re nice to me I’ll go out of my way to help you, will give you a free upgrade if it means you get your stuff quicker and have even offered to drop a parcel off for someone on my way home. If you’re a dick then you get fuck all except polite indifference

By *orseydaveMan  over a year ago

Norwich NR5

As a publican I have learnt at my own expense that the best ways are always the old ways..

The trick is let the punter say his bit, nod as in agreement, sound sympathetic, and then simply allow him time to see I'm right.

During 27 years as a landlord I've never had to ban anyone, I just suggest they go home, sleep on it and come and have a chat with me in the morning...Works every time, the one's who were wrong rarely come back, and the one's who may have been in the right or hard done by, nearly always come back, and still appoligise even if they know deep down they either made themselves look a prat, or are decent people who had an off day.

However, women are a completely different 'race' and when their pissed there brain does not work. My doormen pick them up, carry them outside, sit them down somewhere away from everyone else, and when they haven't got an audience, they calm down and their brain starts to work.

"Honestly, I feel like companies get away with so much these days. It's easy to point out customers who are wrongfully mean or nasty, but it's not that hard to come up with instances where companies treat their customers with little respect. I always think it's interesting when things go wrong and someone in customer services tells me that I have to understand that mistakes happen. Right. When a mistake happens on my end, and I don't pay on time or whatever else, a company rarely shows understanding. You're a number on a balance sheet to most companies (especially big companies) until something goes wrong on their end and then you have to be understanding and realize that you're dealing with the people not a faceless company, etc. Hmm.

I'm reasonable when I have a complaint, reasonable but not particularly understanding. When I get passed to the 4th customer service rep and I'm angry and they are being obtuse then it's hard not to get frustrated, regardless of whether that particular individual did anything wrong. Of course many customers are in the wrong, many customers are downright horrible, but I also think people in customer services sometimes need to realize that a customer doesn't just deal with them, personally. They are dealing with a whole company, they are passed from person to person, often to deal with a problem that is the company's responsibility.

As for the title of the thread, I dont think it was ever meant to be literal. It's a marketing statement. The idea is that a company makes more money overall when the customer is happy, even if the customer isn't "right" in any particular instance. We are just numbers on a balance sheet - and in that context the statement makes perfect sense. "

That I didn't know. I guess it got lost in translation over the years and people now take it literally

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

"Honestly, I feel like companies get away with so much these days. It's easy to point out customers who are wrongfully mean or nasty, but it's not that hard to come up with instances where companies treat their customers with little respect. I always think it's interesting when things go wrong and someone in customer services tells me that I have to understand that mistakes happen. Right. When a mistake happens on my end, and I don't pay on time or whatever else, a company rarely shows understanding. You're a number on a balance sheet to most companies (especially big companies) until something goes wrong on their end and then you have to be understanding and realize that you're dealing with the people not a faceless company, etc. Hmm.

As for the title of the thread, I dont think it was ever meant to be literal. It's a marketing statement. The idea is that a company makes more money overall when the customer is happy, even if the customer isn't "right" in any particular instance. We are just numbers on a balance sheet - and in that context the statement makes perfect sense. "

This is very true too and a valid point. I wish the company I worked for understood some of this or even cared. Personally it's one of the major frustrations for working for the company I do. These faceless folk upstairs never have to face the actual real world consequences that their actions and decisions create. It's all seemingly just numbers on screen to them.

Some companies (the one I work for included) seem to have so little regard for customers that it's bound to and will inevitably get their backs up from time to time. One example being they actually seem to make it as difficult as possible to get through to someone who might be able to help them, so by the time you get to speak to them they're usually spitting blood or spoiling for a fight. Though there's never any excuse for the level of rudeness and abuse I've had to endure I do often have sympathy with a customer and can understand where they're coming from. Again I know from personal experience that a company that treats it's customers with such contempt will often treat it's own staff badly. It all just leads to weary staff dealing with exasperated customers. The annoying part is that when you see it from the inside you often realise it doesn't actually need to be that way at all. The people making the decisions never really see it so don't really care. As long as the money's flowing in then all is good to them.

It's a statement about money. They've made a decision to buy your product. As far as the company is concerned, the customer has made the right decision.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

It depends how big your target market is. The saying mostly comes from America where they had massive target markets.

It's part of the get big quick scheme. "You want to return it? no problem", "You want your money back? no problem".

See in America they just sell whatever you brought back on to someone else, there are big cargo containers for sale full of stuff that was just opened and brought back. The shop never loses money on them, they just dont make money on it.

In a small market you cant afford for the one 4k tv you have sold in the year to be brought back for a bullshit excuse.

Exactly the reason I'm out of retail now, that and the 7 days a week working hours.

No, they are very much wrong a lot of the time and it takes the patience of an angel to suck it up and apologise.

P x

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I work in retail, our customers are generally nice. If anyone gets aggressive we have been told to walk away and get the manager....who is double 'ard....and quite dishy to!

He is able to sort the guys out and work his charm on the women!

"I work in retail, our customers are generally nice. If anyone gets aggressive we have been told to walk away and get the manager....who is double 'ard....and quite dishy to!

He is able to sort the guys out and work his charm on the women!"

Wish there were more decent customers at where I work especially at this time of year

Any more stories on customers that were assholes?

I Jez did 14 years in electrical retail with a no defunct company and most customers were great. But had a few assholes to deal with. Those that were reasonable and polite I would bend the rules for. Those that treated me or my staff with rudeness I would dig my heels in and stick to the rules regardless of how difficult it was for them.

The worst part of my job is having to keep my cool with (luckily only a few) absolute assholes that are trying to fuck me over to get out of paying for work done at an agreed price...

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

No they fucking are not.

A lifetime in customer service has taught me that no. The customer isn’t usually right at all. ‘I don’t mean to complain but...’ cue eye roll, customer service smile and a wish for the ejection floor tile to be invented.

"Until they are wrong

The best boss I ever had used to say that! The customer is always right until they are wrong.

He was absolutly correct any buisness owner will say the same"

Now local councils thats a different story total money grabbing bastards

» Add a new message to this topic