FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Does marriages last more that 30 years?

Does marriages last more that 30 years?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Like they do with the older generation? I was watching a program about it yesterday, it was good as they interviewed couples and there is a big difference from that era to this one, whats your view?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a few friends who are at 20-25 years and they seem happy. I can see them getting to 30 years. Some aren’t married but they’ve been together that long.

depends on wht you mean by older generation, to someone of 21 im the older generation..and of course, things change, they always have, and always will...each generation will be different from the previous one.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I'm 57 and have a few friends and many family members who have been together 25+ years.

By *igBlondeDommeWoman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere

My marriage ended after 25yrs. Happier now though.

4 more years to go before we hit that magic number

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Yes they do. And yes they can improve with the years.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Like most things nowadays everything seems to have become throw away.

That even seems to migrate into relationships.

No commitment today a bit like long term careers.

33 years and we will be together till one of is no.longer.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Yes and I hope they continue to do so. Must be wonderful to meet that person.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Never been married,the longest relationship I've had was nearly 9 years and she ripped me off for £80k

Yes they can but you got to take the rough with the smooth.

"depends on wht you mean by older generation, to someone of 21 im the older generation..and of course, things change, they always have, and always will...each generation will be different from the previous one."

Oh crikey I feel old.

I think people were shamed into staying together 'in the olden days'. I know many 60+ year olds that hate each other but stay together because there's no other option.

Many 30+ year olds in the same situation actually.

"Never been married,the longest relationship I've had was nearly 9 years and she ripped me off for £80k "

My parents were married 55 years when my mother died last year. I reckon the last 25 were particularly miserable for her, in fact, it was watching my parents grow old together that gave me the determination to leave my own marriage.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Times change yes but the fundamentals of what works for a couple will still be the same..

My older brother and sister were both married for around 45 years, my younger brother has been married 49 years this year and we celebrate our golden wedding later this year and she fully accept Kate and helps buy her clothes

My parents made it 42 years thusfar and still do the embarrassing parent snogging thing. They’re very lucky.

Me? 15 years was a miracle. The clock is reset. I can’t say I wanna do the whole ‘I do’ thing again. Even the idea of a relationship leaves me pretty cold. Is marrying oneself really a thing? That would be a beautiful marriage.

"Never been married,the longest relationship I've had was nearly 9 years and she ripped me off for £80k "

Look at this way, if you'd made 30 years it could have been £250k+.....

My parents celebrate their golden wedding anniversary next year and they are very happy together, and even had a church blessing 2 years ago as they were never able to have the church wedding they wanted back in 1969.

Us, we've been married 15 years and together for nearly 19, we've had people comment that we are a bit of a rarity these days, but I'm not convinced, there are few divorced families that live near us, but as to how happy they are I have no idea...

Ginger

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We've been married for over 30 years and have lived together for 37. Nothing has changed except it's easier for unhappy people to leave each other and there's nothing wrong with that. The things that keep people together remain the same.

We’re not married but have been together almost 10 years.

Got together at 16

By *urlesque!Woman  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Times change yes but the fundamentals of what works for a couple will still be the same.."

This

I think in a lot of cases its easier and there is more support for people to leave marriages they are not happy with and there isn't the stigma there used to be. Im not sure if its a case of throwing it away too qucik (certainly wasnt in my case).

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"My parents were married 55 years when my mother died last year. I reckon the last 25 were particularly miserable for her, in fact, it was watching my parents grow old together that gave me the determination to leave my own marriage."

I can relate to this. My parents were married 44 years when she died in March 2002. Never seen a dead body with a smile before...in fact couldn't recall the last time I'd seen her smile.

I vowed not to waste my life being miserable. Left my husband of 23 years the following April.

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

My parents were married 45 years until my mum passed away, we have been married 10 years and together 19 years and intend to remain married till the end. Were are late thirties

Me and hubby have been together for 30 years this yr....also have a few friends who been with their partner/husband/wife for over 25 years also

Met my now wife when we were 15 now 53 we been together 37 years been married 27 and I still fancy her rotten she’s my best friend and soul mate as well as my wife

Some marriages don't last 30 years because one party croaks, like my husband did XXX

Worcester

"Met my now wife when we were 15 now 53 we been together 37 years been married 27 and I still fancy her rotten she’s my best friend and soul mate as well as my wife "

Fantastic, same here, most are of our friends are on their 2nd and in one case 3rd time around and I would honestly say that none of them seem happy.

Who knows what it is that they are looking for?

Worcester

"Some marriages don't last 30 years because one party croaks, like my husband did XXX"

That must be devastating.

When my divorce comes through it will of been 22yrs married on paper. Far better single than married for me whereas he has already booked his next wedding

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Together 32 years this year, and married for 24 of those.

I thought i’d be married forever, we had our problems but we worked hard at them, we overcame some serious issues within our marriage 10 years in and we’re proud we came out the other side, we had another 5 great years and then literally after our 15th wedding anniversary it came to an end, we still look back and feel proud that we tried our hardest and not gave up when it could have easily ended.

We have a great friendship relationship and I am glad he is still in my life but sometimes things just don’t work no matter how hard you try.

Mind you saying that, if it hadn’t of ended I wouldn’t have met Ads and we wouldn’t be here now, my relationship with him is different in every aspect, for a start we never have a cross word and if we (me) do get angry (very rarely) I feel horrible and it never hangs around for long, when I was with my ex I could see into the future and picture us old and grey but with Ads I don’t and that might sound incredibly weird and some of you naysayers are probably thinking the worst but I’ve reached a point in my life of not hoping and looking too far into the future because it can all change and overtime hopefully it will change, my marriage ending changed me in so many ways and one of them was the above, instead of being all dreamy and imagining a perfect end I take each day as it comes now. Of course Ads and I are going to stay together forever (I’ve told him I’m not going through another divorce lol) but having that ‘ideal’ end isn’t there because life changes on a daily basis and maybe it’s because I’m scared of getting hurt again and I never want to feel a pain like it again so I’ve put barriers up, who knows.

Ads and I have gone through a few rough patches and we could have walked away at anytime as we don’t have anything connecting us but we are literally like one person, he stayed at his mums one night last year and my heart hurt like no ones business (god knows what I’m going to be like on his stag and the night before the wedding!).

Geeky x

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

If my late husband hadn't of died on me almost"7 yrs ago we would be together 33 yes this Yr married 30. Hope for me N Del yet only 7 mths so ya never know

By *rince Charming 69Man  over a year ago

Loughborough

My marriage lasted 32 years........

25 plus years very happy,

Then she discovered vodka,

And life became very unhappy and scary

And she chose the bottle over her husband and family

By *londieddWoman  over a year ago

fife

"My marriage ended after 25yrs. Happier now though."

when did it really end? or were you good till 25?

Some of my friend's and relatives are reaching, or have reached the 30 year milestone.

By *hatterbox 2Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

We had been married 30 yrs last august xxx

By *retty womanWoman  over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

"Yes they can but you got to take the rough with the smooth.

"

This

People give up too easily these days.

Maybe 30 years is doable but I’m not sure people will reach 50 /60 years like the older generation did.

By *errynjuneCouple  over a year ago

Barnsley

We are lucky enough to have been happily married for 34 years and been together 36 years.

Ups and downs but hey it's a long time lol.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

visiting the beach

"Yes they can but you got to take the rough with the smooth.

This

People give up too easily these days.

"

I'm not sure I agree with either of these statements.

It depends what you mean by "rough". If external factors making life tough, then yes.

If it's one partner making life tougher for the other, why must you put up with it? Obviously, you make attempts to change the situation, improve things for both parties.

But if that's not possible, why should you put up with it?

I think time limited marriage contracts, that need to be renewed after a certain period would be useful in focusing people's minds.

I managed 26 yrs with the same person and 16 of those married and mostly happy. However, sometimes you just drift apart and if you don’t both work hard at it, then it will never last.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

There is deffinitatly a lot more freedom to get out plus more expectations of what marriage should be. I would say any comtempory couple that lasts the test of time these days is something very special indeed and something mutually unselfish. I have in my life had role models who have had such wonderful eternal love and dedication to each other.

Maybe the question should be should so many marriages from the past have lasted more than 30 years? We're they all healthy or a prison?

By *obin_and_marionMan  over a year ago

Beaconsfield

We've been married over 30 years.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There is deffinitatly a lot more freedom to get out plus more expectations of what marriage should be. I would say any comtempory couple that lasts the test of time these days is something very special indeed and something mutually unselfish. I have in my life had role models who have had such wonderful eternal love and dedication to each other.

Maybe the question should be should so many marriages from the past have lasted more than 30 years? We're they all healthy or a prison?"

I think it's down to luck a lot of the time. Very few of us ask each other the important questions before we commit to marriage. How many starry eyed young lovers sit down and seriously discuss how important sex is to them, how involved they want their wider family to be, what strategies they will use to solve problems etc? So it's lucky if it turns out that you are more or less in agreement on the big issues or can at least see your way to compromise.

I believe that the same amount of marriages failed in the past but people just stuck it out.

A friend of mine told me her mother hoped her father would die first so that she could have a couple of years to enjoy herself . What an awful way to live but I bet lots of marriages were like that.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"Some marriages don't last 30 years because one party croaks, like my husband did XXX

That must be devastating."

That happened to my parents my grand parents thou my mum blamed my grandad for that and my brotherinlaw between all of them around 120 years of marriage..

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

I’ll be 30 years married next year can’t wait to give her a pearl necklace .

Married 25 years now and still in love and lust.

By *aucy SecretCouple  over a year ago

Telford

[Removed by poster at 19/02/18 05:38:48]

By *8ddCouple  over a year ago

xxxxx

32 this year x

By *aucy SecretCouple  over a year ago

Telford

Almost there, 24yrs and still going strong. All down to luck in finding and meeting the one though and it takes work to succeed. Lucky? Maybe, but not everyone puts the effort in.

"Like they do with the older generation? I was watching a program about it yesterday, it was good as they interviewed couples and there is a big difference from that era to this one, whats your view?"
marriages used to yes because couples saw the values of keeping the family unit together so they worked harder at it but people in general are working less and less as a team and more as individuals and religion in the western world has all but died ,equality in the workplace plays a part,the internet also plays a big part to allowing people to interact without actually meeting ,the need to stay together has all but gone a long marriage these days is 10 years and in fact many don't even get the little piece of paper

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I've seen quite a few friends get married over the past 10 years, and more than not are already divorced I've been in a couple of long term relationships but I've never felt committed enough to take that step into marriage. I still feel like "the one" is out there somewhere and we haven't met yet.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"There is deffinitatly a lot more freedom to get out plus more expectations of what marriage should be. I would say any comtempory couple that lasts the test of time these days is something very special indeed and something mutually unselfish. I have in my life had role models who have had such wonderful eternal love and dedication to each other.

Maybe the question should be should so many marriages from the past have lasted more than 30 years?"

Yes, I believe there was more true commitment, and willingness to openly work through issues together - today's society is too 'disposable' minded.

My parents were together 70 years when Mum died.

By *ovingittwoCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"Like they do with the older generation? I was watching a program about it yesterday, it was good as they interviewed couples and there is a big difference from that era to this one, whats your view?"

We’ve been married 31 years this September!

We've been together best part of 30 years, and I would say our relationship has never been better or stronger. Or hotter!

Worcester

It’s all about honesty and communication if you want it to last.

People change. I don't think people should be guilt tripped into staying together if they just changed and aren't compatible any more.

By *obin_and_marionMan  over a year ago

Beaconsfield

One thing I should say is that 30+ year marriage has gone through different phases.

Its been a great journey going on those phases together and still wanting each other at each stage.

» Add a new message to this topic