FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Anxiety.. feeling overwhelmed

Anxiety.. feeling overwhelmed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi lovely people

I’m moving in three weeks, and have a removal company to come in and pack and move my things into storage whilst my house is being built.

This mean me and my son are going into rented for a month.

I’m looking around and just feel so utterly freaked out right now but don’t know why.

It’s not like I have to do it all.

I just have to sort what’s going into storage and what’s coming with me.

Yet I just can’t focus enough to actually do it.

Any tips or thoughts on how to go about it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Deep breaths. Centre yourself. Invite a friend around to help.

Take a deep breath

Write down what you actually need to do, in order of priority - having it spinning in your head can make you anxious

Set yourself one task at a time- feeling as if everything has to be done at once causes a sense of being overwhelmed

Exercise - burns off the adrenaline created by stress

Cut down on caffeine - it increases anxiety

Get plenty of sleep

If you have worries, share them with a friend, getting it out there and getting another's perspective can stop us from building stuff up in our heads

dont take the 'what ifs ' - take the necessary - and good luck

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Start small. One room at a time.

Is your rental accommodation furnished?

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"Take a deep breath

Write down what you actually need to do, in order of priority - having it spinning in your head can make you anxious

Set yourself one task at a time- feeling as if everything has to be done at once causes a sense of being overwhelmed

Get plenty of sleep

If you have worries, share them with a friend, getting it out there and getting another's perspective can stop us from building stuff up in our heads "

One tip to add to this. For the list of things to do, get a pad of post it notes, nad put each task on a separate post it. Don't even think about the order you have to do them in until you're sure it's all down. Then you can start putting them in order, grouping them and moving them around.

"Take a deep breath

Get plenty of sleep

If you have worries, share them with a friend, getting it out there and getting another's perspective can stop us from building stuff up in our heads "

^ good advice! The pure volume I expect is overwhelming so breaking it down to doing one thing at a time will be helpful as you’ll see real progress as you start to tick them off! Trying to do everything at once will only add to the anxiety!

Good luck with the move! Hopefully it’ll all be exciting when you finally move into your new build!

By *ralworshipperMan  over a year ago

Willesden

Great advice.

Good luck with the move, OP. Let us know how it's going, if that helps

"Deep breaths. Centre yourself. Invite a friend around to help. "

Thank you,

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Hi lovely people

I’m moving in three weeks, and have a removal company to come in and pack and move my things into storage whilst my house is being built.

This mean me and my son are going into rented for a month.

I’m looking around and just feel so utterly freaked out right now but don’t know why.

It’s not like I have to do it all.

I just have to sort what’s going into storage and what’s coming with me.

Yet I just can’t focus enough to actually do it.

Any tips or thoughts on how to go about it?"

You have my sympathy and admiration.

I retired in 2016 with a view of downsizing and moving to the country. I've been procrastinating because I do feel overwhelmed. I've given myself until easter to set in train my move. I have a partner to help but it's my home, where I raised my family.

All I can offer anecdotally is see it as an adventure, the next phase in your life your looking forward to and each piece sorted gets you closer.

Good luck to you.

use it as a spring cleaning exercise - dont pack what you dont use - get rid of stuff its very good for the soul

Thank you everyone, great advice from you all.

I have copied your messages to re read again

I feel calmer now.

Thanking you

By *lanPartridgeMan  over a year ago

nottingham

The wholeness of a task can be overwhelming... Break it into little chunks and address each one. The whole will come together.

"The wholeness of a task can be overwhelming... Break it into little chunks and address each one. The whole will come together."

Well all I’ve managed is cancelling bt,

I’m the queen of procrastination, I’m doing it now!!

I do find though making a list and separating the tasks into bite size chunks really helps. So maybe one room at a time, sorting out clothes / personal stuff and things like informing utilities / suppliers of your move ( you can do the latter with a cuppa!).

Good luck x

"The wholeness of a task can be overwhelming... Break it into little chunks and address each one. The whole will come together.

Well all I’ve managed is cancelling bt, "

That's a start though. One thing ticked off.

Everyone already gave you great advice. I'll just send virtual hugs. Hope you feel better. x

Good advice above.

Remember even if items go into storage you can go and fetch them. Plus vice versa if you take them with you , you can then take them to the storage place. So it’s all flexible. I found it a great way to declutter when I had lots in storage for a few months.

I bet you get it all done in the end. I’m better with last minute pressure. I’ll get it done then.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

I am downsizing and don't have a moving date yet. I am going for a cupboard or area each day. Sorted clothes. Sorted sons wardrobe. Done kitchen drawers. I then have 3 choices...a charity shop box, chuck it in the bin or keep.

I was completely overwhelmed initially, but am finding it fun and interesting sorting things out and made some cash selling stuff on shpock along the way.

Take your time. Not sure how old your son is, but get him involved in the "big move sort out". Best of luck xx

My ex boss used to say.

You cant eat a whole elephant. It is just too much to face at once. SO break it down into smaller pieces. Eat the foot first, then eat a tusk. Keep doing it in small steps and before you know it you have eaten the whole elephant.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

How long had you been in the house? Be brutal and throw out as much as you can. If it’s not useful or beautiful, chuck it away. Treat it like an adventure and a new beginning. I’m saying all this but will be doing a similar thing myself very soon.

Good luck

"I am downsizing and don't have a moving date yet. I am going for a cupboard or area each day. Sorted clothes. Sorted sons wardrobe. Done kitchen drawers. I then have 3 choices...a charity shop box, chuck it in the bin or keep.

I was completely overwhelmed initially, but am finding it fun and interesting sorting things out and made some cash selling stuff on shpock along the way.

Take your time. Not sure how old your son is, but get him involved in the "big move sort out". Best of luck xx "

You've inspired me to sort my stuff out.

"I’m the queen of procrastination, I’m doing it now!!

I do find though making a list and separating the tasks into bite size chunks really helps. So maybe one room at a time, sorting out clothes / personal stuff and things like informing utilities / suppliers of your move ( you can do the latter with a cuppa!).

Good luck x"

Spent all day trying to cancel things , nothings quick is it

"The wholeness of a task can be overwhelming... Break it into little chunks and address each one. The whole will come together.

Well all I’ve managed is cancelling bt,

That's a start though. One thing ticked off.

Everyone already gave you great advice. I'll just send virtual hugs. Hope you feel better. x"

Thank you

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

If it’s any consolation I’m moving out of my family home of 45 years shortly. I’m a bit scared too.

"How long had you been in the house? Be brutal and throw out as much as you can. If it’s not useful or beautiful, chuck it away. Treat it like an adventure and a new beginning. I’m saying all this but will be doing a similar thing myself very soon.

Good luck"

Yes I’ve started, clothes... 30 pairs of shoes etc

"If it’s any consolation I’m moving out of my family home of 45 years shortly. I’m a bit scared too. "

It’s scary

I hope it goes ok for you

» Add a new message to this topic