FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should processed food be taxed?.

Should processed food be taxed?.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

To make a healthier nation. I was watching question time and the boss from iceland was there and they talked about their chicken nuggets lol. I dont think it would make such a difference if the price was higher, although it is good that they bring it up, as too much is not good, whats your view?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *andm_69Couple  over a year ago

Stevenage

Just right to the point no it shouldn't. Eating health isn't cheap and with so many working families already struggling how would they afford it.

Stevenage

[Removed by poster at 16/02/18 11:46:39]

Stevenage

I ate all the crap they say don't eat now and I'm in a shape and healthy. Problem now is with the stay in children that have tablets, phones and computer don't get enough exercise.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Goodness no, the country would fall into even more poverty than it currently is in. Processed foods are cheap and ideal for working class families who don't have the money or time to cook/prepare fresh foods.

I suppose it all boils down to what peeps define as "Processed" food.

In my mind, it's a food where all the ingredients are assembled and put together in factory. In this day and age it's very difficult not to end up buying processed foods, for example cheese. It's a very simple and basic food but i doubt very much you would be able to buy it in many places unless it had been manufactured in a factory of some description.

On the whole i tend to buy most of my food as raw vegetables with meat coming from a butchers. Even the meat though will in all probability have gone through a factory at some point.

Unless you grow your own veg and raise your own cows, pigs and chickens avoiding processed food is very very difficult.

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Onley problem is sum people will go hungry if thay do cos its all thay can afford as proceeded food is cheeper than fresh food.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

No because people should be responsible for their own diets and health. Over reliance on taxation is a bit too nanny state.

Don't penalise the poor again. Subsidise healthy food. Limit the number of fast food venues that are allowed to open in poor areas.

I have a chest freezer full of rabbit, pidgeon, ducks, various bits of game, wild fruit, mushrooms, veg in window boxes and planters in summer..all for virtually nothing. It's easy to subsidise your diet with healthy food if you want.

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

I think it's over simplifying saying less well off families can't afford to eat well (though it's probably true) as if it's only less well off families that eat 'badly'.

The fact is where two parents are working, regardless of income, time is short. Most of those below retirement age have become accustomed to longer working hours and sometimes long commutes. For those in full time employment the average hours worked per week in the UK is the 3rd highest of the 28 countries in the EU (sadly with low productivity to boot).

So regardless of income, time is tight and it's much easier to reach for the pre-prepared meals, or stop at a fast food outlet to collect our lunches than to cook from fresh. With many single parent families time pressures are even more real.

"To make a healthier nation. I was watching question time and the boss from iceland was there and they talked about their chicken nuggets lol. I dont think it would make such a difference if the price was higher, although it is good that they bring it up, as too much is not good, whats your view?"
no i pay enough tax as it is

Make healthy food cheaper. You know something is wrong when you can buy a box frozen burgers and a bag of frozen chips for the same price as a punnet of strawberrys

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

I think people should be responsible for what they eat after all we are all grown ups, as the saying goes you are what you eat, seems a simple solution to just tax everything to control it.

Tax plastic

Tax coffee cups

Tax sugary drinks

Tax cars that where once road tax free

Tax diesel

Council at going up by almost 6%

The government must be rubbing their hands with all the extra money thats coming in, but where is all this money going?

Frank

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"To make a healthier nation. I was watching question time and the boss from iceland was there and they talked about their chicken nuggets lol. I dont think it would make such a difference if the price was higher, although it is good that they bring it up, as too much is not good, whats your view?"

My view is this.

The tax on the 'popular' food goes to the gvt.

Think about it. It's got NOTHING to do with wanting a healthier nation.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Just right to the point no it shouldn't. Eating health isn't cheap and with so many working families already struggling how would they afford it."

eating healthily can be done cheaply but it does take prep time.

It shouldn't be taxed no, but people should be made more aware of how crap it is.

Healthier food made cheaper and people finding just that extra 30 mins in a day to cut up a few veg and throw it in pan. Time is tight for everyone no doubt but some conveniences are just not worth it and boxed meals are one of them.

Batch cooking is a godsend. Then freeze it up for your busy days. People just aren't interested any more. When you can buy mash potato in a plastic pot you know the world has gone mad.

It's all back to risk again. The BBC says the report has calculated that if people ate 10% extra processed food then statistically an extra 9 (nine) in 10,000 would get cancer. It's not really a certain death is it? Not like bareback sex anyway.

I'm not sure I agree that eating healthier is more expensive, we've been eating far healthier this year and increase to our grocery bill has been minimal. When I was younger we always ate better when my parents were short for money.

But for taxing, it would have to be significant to make people change their shopping and eating habits, you go in a supermarket st lunchtime and people begrudge 40p for a fresh apple but happily pay 80p for a bar of chocolate or packet of crisps. An extra 10p on a bag of oven chips will do nothing.

Ginger

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

It should be taxed yeah.

They add fat and carbs to the food in a ratio that our body can only store the food as fat.

They even add fat and carbs to ketchup.

Eating healthy is not expensive.

40 euro gets me 25 chicken breasts, 2-4lbs of mince, 2 turkey fillets, 4 burgers, from my butchers.

Quick trip to lidl pick up the cheap fruit/veg deals, carrots, onions, oranges, bannanas, apples, couple tins of fish, some milk, some quinoa/rice.

Pick up some oat/alpen style breakfast.

Bing bang bosh, comes to 2-3 euro a day, and I live in the 2nd/3rd most expensive city in Europe.

Cut all the meat up, stick it in your freezer, bish bang bosh you are now stuck on a good diet cause you have to take the meat out the day before, so today you have to eat chicken or throw it out, or eat mince or throw it out.

No. Poor people buy the cheap shit because the healthier stuff is out if their price range.

Instead of taxing it, force the manufacturers to make it healthier.

"Just right to the point no it shouldn't. Eating health isn't cheap and with so many working families already struggling how would they afford it.

eating healthily can be done cheaply but it does take prep time. "

I've got my veg chopping for my stews and soups down to 15 minutes, when my wrists aren't painful. I can't do Swede though, that stuff is thick as fuck.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"Instead of taxing it, force the manufacturers to make it healthier. "

Any increase in production cost will be passed on.

By *uffnmuffCouple  over a year ago

London

It should be banned.

"Instead of taxing it, force the manufacturers to make it healthier.

Any increase in production cost will be passed on. "

But the food will be healthier. Taxing processed foods is to make people healthier, isn't it?

"It should be banned."

How could we ban all processed food?

salisbury

"It should be banned."

But then people might have to learn to cook! Lol don't be silly, they'd just eat more takeaways....

Sugar and fat should be taxed .Like alcohol and cigarettes.

Sugar and fat create a huge cost for the NHS. Obesity and diabetes is a massive issue.

I would use the money to subsidise fruit and vegetables.

"I have a chest freezer full of rabbit, pidgeon, ducks, various bits of game, wild fruit, mushrooms, veg in window boxes and planters in summer..all for virtually nothing. It's easy to subsidise your diet with healthy food if you want."

I don't think I will be very popular if I go out snaring the local ducks. Pigeons carry disease. You can die a horrible death from picking and eating the wrong kind of mushrooms. To grow stuff in pots, you errrr need compost and seeds...so that's not free.

Sir...I have blown your post out of the water....XXX

Sorry

XXX

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

I don't know if it does actually come down to cost/time and more to laziness. A culinary dunce like me can knock up a bolognese or a curry in the same time it takes a frozen pizza to cook, Argos will do a slow cooker sub £30 and you can pick up a sack of spuds for 6 quid or a 5 kilo bag of rice for under a fiver, root vegetables are pennies. It just needs a little bit of foresight.

salisbury

"Sugar and fat should be taxed .Like alcohol and cigarettes.

Sugar and fat create a huge cost for the NHS. Obesity and diabetes is a massive issue.

I would use the money to subsidise fruit and vegetables."

Fruit and veg isn't expensive. People think cooking is hard, and / or are too lazy to do it. That's the issue. My neighbours, council tenants. Both early 20's. 2 kids. He works part time in a shop. They have dominoes pizza AT LEAST 4 nights per week, interspersed with Chinese or Indian takeaway. They both smoke. I don't think the price of fruit and veg affects there diet.....

By *olarfoxMan  over a year ago

North Cambs

Not sure about processed food being taxed, but palm oil should be banned IMO

salisbury

"Not sure about processed food being taxed, but palm oil should be banned IMO "

Agreed. But Europe NEEDS Nutella! Apparently.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Sugar and fat create a huge cost for the NHS. Obesity and diabetes is a massive issue."

Sugar is not a problem. When put on a high sugar/carb diet with only healthy fats taken. You will think clearer, you will have energy, you will perform better. You will also lose weight in the ratio of 60% fat, 40% muscle.

Fat is not a problem. When put on it you can live a healthy life mostly. You will find it harder to think sometimes, you will perform fine, and you will lose weight in a 50% fat, 50% muscle ratio.

Combine them however, and you will add fat. Your body can not use energy that is half fat, half carbs. The ratio does not exist in nature. One is energy, the other is an energy store. Our bodies freak out, they say "wait a minute what is this awesome stuff, get as much of it as you can".. then you start stuffing your face and your body says "wait a minute, what do I do with it? use it as energy now or store it?", then it stores every single bit of it as fat, as thats better than losing energy.

When you go on sugar only diet, or fat only diet your brain and body will trigger a "stop" message when you are full. But something like icecream wont, because icecream is 50% fat 50% carbs.

Nearly all processed food is moved to 50% fat, 50% carb ratio as its very addictive for humans, very tasty to humans, but end of the day, its horrible for you.

Kent

[Removed by poster at 17/02/18 12:15:53]

Kent

"Not sure about processed food being taxed, but palm oil should be banned IMO "

I'd best stock up on the nutty butty then

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Just right to the point no it shouldn't. Eating health isn't cheap and with so many working families already struggling how would they afford it."

Sorry, but nonsense.

You can buy cheap fruit, veg and meat from Lidl et al. I'm not talking fatty cheap cuts either.

You can buy wholemeal pasta etc for an healthy option.

It takes a little effort to peel, chop and put in pots and pans but let's be honest it's easier to pop a meal in the microwave and catch up with social media then complain about time restraints.

London

"Goodness no, the country would fall into even more poverty than it currently is in. Processed foods are cheap and ideal for working class families who don't have the money or time to cook/prepare fresh foods."

I despair!

salisbury

"Just right to the point no it shouldn't. Eating health isn't cheap and with so many working families already struggling how would they afford it.

Sorry, but nonsense.

You can buy cheap fruit, veg and meat from Lidl et al. I'm not talking fatty cheap cuts either.

You can buy wholemeal pasta etc for an healthy option.

It takes a little effort to peel, chop and put in pots and pans but let's be honest it's easier to pop a meal in the microwave and catch up with social media then complain about time restraints. "

It's the uncomfortable truth.

There should be a technology tax

How many kids have tablets iphones ps4

I was seein a girl, only time i ever seen her fat kid run was when she told him there was a shiny pikachu over the other side of the park, an even then i swear the ground shook!!

London

"No because people should be responsible for their own diets and health. Over reliance on taxation is a bit too nanny state."

This I agree with: I just don't buy the processed food is cheaper nonsense. Easier, more convenient: without a doubt, cheaper, no.

Fruit and veg isn't expensive. People think cooking is hard, and / or are too lazy to do it. That's the issue. My neighbours, council tenants. Both early 20's. 2 kids. He works part time in a shop. They have dominoes pizza AT LEAST 4 nights per week, interspersed with Chinese or Indian takeaway. They both smoke. I don't think the price of fruit and veg affects there diet....."

I would agree, cooking is a dying art for a lot of people. I cook my own shepherds pie and roast from scratch. Eat a lot of eggs, which are cheap. Meat is expensive , it's far dearer than the veggies to go with it.

When people are working it's harder for them to cook from scratch though

XXX

Fruit and veg isn't expensive. People think cooking is hard, and / or are too lazy to do it. That's the issue. My neighbours, council tenants. Both early 20's. 2 kids. He works part time in a shop. They have dominoes pizza AT LEAST 4 nights per week, interspersed with Chinese or Indian takeaway. They both smoke. I don't think the price of fruit and veg affects there diet....."

You can buy a tray of donut's at the supermarket cheaper than a punet of strawberries .

The combination of sugar and fat is the sweet spot food companies look for .

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple  over a year ago

Basingstoke

There is no current problem in this country to which is the answer is "higher taxes".

London

eating healthily can be done cheaply but it does take prep time. "

Exactly Granny!

salisbury

Fruit and veg isn't expensive. People think cooking is hard, and / or are too lazy to do it. That's the issue. My neighbours, council tenants. Both early 20's. 2 kids. He works part time in a shop. They have dominoes pizza AT LEAST 4 nights per week, interspersed with Chinese or Indian takeaway. They both smoke. I don't think the price of fruit and veg affects there diet.....

You can buy a tray of donut's at the supermarket cheaper than a punet of strawberries .

The combination of sugar and fat is the sweet spot food companies look for ."

So it's not their fault they buy the doughnuts. Right. Bless em.

The combination of sugar and fat is the sweet spot food companies look for .

So it's not their fault they buy the doughnuts. Right. Bless em. "

It's not the fault of smokers then by that rational.

Sugar is not a problem. When put on a high sugar/carb diet with only healthy fats taken. You will think clearer, you will have energy, you will perform better. You will also lose weight in the ratio of 60% fat, 40% muscle.

Fat is not a problem. When put on it you can live a healthy life mostly. You will find it harder to think sometimes, you will perform fine, and you will lose weight in a 50% fat, 50% muscle ratio.

Combine them however, and you will add fat. Your body can not use energy that is half fat, half carbs. The ratio does not exist in nature. One is energy, the other is an energy store. Our bodies freak out, they say "wait a minute what is this awesome stuff, get as much of it as you can".. then you start stuffing your face and your body says "wait a minute, what do I do with it? use it as energy now or store it?", then it stores every single bit of it as fat, as thats better than losing energy.

When you go on sugar only diet, or fat only diet your brain and body will trigger a "stop" message when you are full. But something like icecream wont, because icecream is 50% fat 50% carbs.

Nearly all processed food is moved to 50% fat, 50% carb ratio as its very addictive for humans, very tasty to humans, but end of the day, its horrible for you."

I think sugar itself is appallingly bad for us. Added/refined sugar is a totally different thing to that what happens when we break down carbs .

Hazily remembering back to nutrition class .

The thing is sugar and tobacco can be as bad as cannibis and heroin.

They can be highly addictive,

I think they should make some incentives for buying healthy food instead.

[Removed by poster at 17/02/18 13:15:33]

salisbury

"I think they should make some incentives for buying healthy food instead."

Good idea. Maybe some monetary benefits could be swapped for fruit and veg.

I don’t quite understand the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods.

The way is see it is, there is only 2 types of food in the world.

Food I’ve eaten and food I’m going to eat

Basingstoke

"The thing is sugar and tobacco can be as bad as cannibis and heroin.

They can be highly addictive,"

Poppycock

Poppycock "

No one is ever going to convince me that sugar is as bad as heroin

"I think they should make some incentives for buying healthy food instead."

If someone's own health isn't enough of an incentive to them that they still eat badly, why should anybody else take up the slack in responsibility?

salisbury

"I think they should make some incentives for buying healthy food instead.

If someone's own health isn't enough of an incentive to them that they still eat badly, why should anybody else take up the slack in responsibility? "

Long term it saves the country money. Less overweight people with diabetes etc who need care.

Poppycock

No one is ever going to convince me that sugar is as bad as heroin "

This is a hell of a stretch!

I do believe there's a grain of logic though, sugar is addictive and destructive to health as are many drugs and, just not quite the same ballpark as gear! I'd let my child have a little sugar as a treat but probably not a burn of gear

salisbury

Poppycock

No one is ever going to convince me that sugar is as bad as heroin "

I watched a woman in one of those electric carts people who are too big to walk use in supermarkets, buying a basket FULL of sweets. It may not have the dramatic effects of heroin but it still destroys lives.

Peas yes bloody things contain uric acid

Basingstoke

Poppycock

I do believe there's a grain of logic though, sugar is addictive and destructive to health as are many drugs and, just not quite the same ballpark as gear! I'd let my child have a little sugar as a treat but probably not a burn of gear "

Yeah save that until they are adults. A few e's now and then help with the homework.

Basingstoke

Poppycock

I watched a woman in one of those electric carts people who are too big to walk use in supermarkets, buying a basket FULL of sweets. It may not have the dramatic effects of heroin but it still destroys lives. "

I hope you went over a shoved some carrots and broccoli in her basket

"I think they should make some incentives for buying healthy food instead.

If someone's own health isn't enough of an incentive to them that they still eat badly, why should anybody else take up the slack in responsibility?

Long term it saves the country money. Less overweight people with diabetes etc who need care. "

True, but you will never get people to eat in accordance with what is good for the countries long term budget, some people want to film their faces with coca cola and McDonald's no matter that price/incentive.

Humans will beg steal and borrow to feed destructive addictions, nobody is being talked into a nice khol rabi salad instead of that double my whopper with a pint of cola and mcflurry chaser.

Fill*

I am not really for even more additional taxes, however this is becoming a major health problem.

The only way it would work would be to load quite a substantial tax on the items, this tax would have to be ring fenced and put back into health care.

Perhaps the manufactures would then automatically start producing less junk foods.

It's not an easy thing to deal with, many people are gluttonous by nature, perhaps some tax or government control on these foods is the answer.

America would have to do it do though or the planet might get one side heavy and tip over!!

Poppycock

I watched a woman in one of those electric carts people who are too big to walk use in supermarkets, buying a basket FULL of sweets. It may not have the dramatic effects of heroin but it still destroys lives.

I hope you went over a shoved some carrots and broccoli in her basket"

If you want to know which is worse, heroin or sugar, just ask yourself “which one shall I give my children today”

Poppycock

I do believe there's a grain of logic though, sugar is addictive and destructive to health as are many drugs and, just not quite the same ballpark as gear! I'd let my child have a little sugar as a treat but probably not a burn of gear

Yeah save that until they are adults. A few e's now and then help with the homework. "

Bit of speed on sports day and watch them make you proud!

I think it should but then healthier food should be made cheaper.

I only really eat fruit and veg with the odd meat alternative thrown in and it can be quite expensive

"I think it should but then healthier food should be made cheaper.

I only really eat fruit and veg with the odd meat alternative thrown in and it can be quite expensive "

Gardens or allotments make for a good way to subsidise your fruit and vegetables and add a little exercise into proceedings too

Basingstoke

Poppycock

Yeah save that until they are adults. A few e's now and then help with the homework.

Bit of speed on sports day and watch them make you proud! "

Yup, give them a bit of growth hormone and steorids to get an edge in PE

Basingstoke

"I am not really for even more additional taxes, however this is becoming a major health problem.

The only way it would work would be to load quite a substantial tax on the items, this tax would have to be ring fenced and put back into health care.

Perhaps the manufactures would then automatically start producing less junk foods.

It's not an easy thing to deal with, many people are gluttonous by nature, perhaps some tax or government control on these foods is the answer.

America would have to do it do though or the planet might get one side heavy and tip over!!"

So indirect! Just ban fat people instead of making elaborate schemes to attack the things that make them fat. Why should i pay more for my monthly McDonald's just because some people can't control themselves.

salisbury

Trouble is of course you can't have one thing without it affecting another. Eg, you want cheap chicken meat. Ok farmer will grow as many as he can as cheaply as he can for the least amount of time, in the worst conditions the law will allow. If you want cheap veg it will have been grown in a greenhouse, thousands of miles away then transported here using fossil fuels. You can't win.

salisbury

"I am not really for even more additional taxes, however this is becoming a major health problem.

America would have to do it do though or the planet might get one side heavy and tip over!!

So indirect! Just ban fat people instead of making elaborate schemes to attack the things that make them fat. Why should i pay more for my monthly McDonald's just because some people can't control themselves. "

Are you saying there should be government funded body shaming?

Basingstoke

" Trouble is of course you can't have one thing without it affecting another. Eg, you want cheap chicken meat. Ok farmer will grow as many as he can as cheaply as he can for the least amount of time, in the worst conditions the law will allow. If you want cheap veg it will have been grown in a greenhouse, thousands of miles away then transported here using fossil fuels. You can't win. "

It's not the ingredients that are the problem in many cases, it's how they are cooked. There's nothing wrong with chicken.

Basingstoke

So indirect! Just ban fat people instead of making elaborate schemes to attack the things that make them fat. Why should i pay more for my monthly McDonald's just because some people can't control themselves.

Are you saying there should be government funded body shaming? "

Yes if it stops this food shaming nonsense

salisbury

" Trouble is of course you can't have one thing without it affecting another. Eg, you want cheap chicken meat. Ok farmer will grow as many as he can as cheaply as he can for the least amount of time, in the worst conditions the law will allow. If you want cheap veg it will have been grown in a greenhouse, thousands of miles away then transported here using fossil fuels. You can't win.

It's not the ingredients that are the problem in many cases, it's how they are cooked. There's nothing wrong with chicken. "

Ah but the perception is the ingredients are expensive. When they are actually as low as they can get.

salisbury

Are you saying there should be government funded body shaming?

Yes if it stops this food shaming nonsense"

Liberalism will kill us all.

Diabetes costs the NHS £16billion a year.British taxpayers are spending more on treating obesity-related conditions than on the police or fire service.

Basingstoke

"Diabetes costs the NHS £16billion a year.British taxpayers are spending more on treating obesity-related conditions than on the police or fire service. "

How about a tax on every % point that your body is above 20% body fat for a man and 30% for a woman? Say £500 a year, per %. Implemented 5 years from now so they have time to avoid the tax. It's better than taxing every ingredient separately.

"Diabetes costs the NHS £16billion a year.British taxpayers are spending more on treating obesity-related conditions than on the police or fire service.

How about a tax on every % point that your body is above 20% body fat for a man and 30% for a woman? Say £500 a year, per %. Implemented 5 years from now so they have time to avoid the tax. It's better than taxing every ingredient separately. "

How would you collect that.Do you force people to be weighed every year like a MOT.

Taxing the product is the one and only solution.

I think it is taxed enough.

What would be better is if a snickers bar which has 500 calories of fat and sugar didn't cost as much as an apple with 70 calories in the corner shop. Both cost 50p. Ridiculous!

Basingstoke

"Diabetes costs the NHS £16billion a year.British taxpayers are spending more on treating obesity-related conditions than on the police or fire service.

How about a tax on every % point that your body is above 20% body fat for a man and 30% for a woman? Say £500 a year, per %. Implemented 5 years from now so they have time to avoid the tax. It's better than taxing every ingredient separately.

How would you collect that.Do you force people to be weighed every year like a MOT.

"

Have like a reality TV show where people get weighed, not only will it help motivate those on the border line but the advertising revenue will help fund the scheme.

It's not the product thats making them fat.

Have like a reality TV show where people get weighed, not only will it help motivate those on the border line but the advertising revenue will help fund the scheme.

It's not the product thats making them fat. "

There's another option of not treating fat people in hospital.We don't offer liver transplants to alcoholics.

That's not really how it works though. If people eat junk food (and I love it too) that's their choice in most cases.

2kg chicken breast £10

3kg Penne Pasta £2.95

x4 Broccoli £2.20

2kg carrots £1.00

4jar Spices £4.00

TOTAL £20.15

That's one week's worth of lunches and dinners for two people. You could spend that quite easily in two trips to McDonald's.

Also, if you were to tax shit food more, people would still eat it. Its lack of convenience and ability that causes poor food choices (again, I make the same mistake regularly, but I know that's my fault).

The reason we shouldn't be taxing it however, is because it's the government again penalising the poorer, less educated and less organised of society, instead of ensuring the corporate tax dodgers own up and pay there way.

I only really eat fruit and veg with the odd meat alternative thrown in and it can be quite expensive

Gardens or allotments make for a good way to subsidise your fruit and vegetables and add a little exercise into proceedings too "

So as a 32 year old women who works 40+ hours a week I should go and run my own allotment? Hahahahaha

Gardens or allotments make for a good way to subsidise your fruit and vegetables and add a little exercise into proceedings too

So as a 32 year old women who works 40+ hours a week I should go and run my own allotment? Hahahahaha "

Processed food is barely food, it's bulked out with cheap shit, and this is why it's cheap. You can't drop the price of whole foods without sacrificing profit.

If people in general made better decisions, the price of healthy items would go down too.

That's not really how it works though. If people eat junk food (and I love it too) that's their choice in most cases.

2kg chicken breast £10

3kg Penne Pasta £2.95

x4 Broccoli £2.20

2kg carrots £1.00

4jar Spices £4.00

TOTAL £20.15

That's one week's worth of lunches and dinners for two people. You could spend that quite easily in two trips to McDonald's.

Also, if you were to tax shit food more, people would still eat it. Its lack of convenience and ability that causes poor food choices (again, I make the same mistake regularly, but I know that's my fault).

The reason we shouldn't be taxing it however, is because it's the government again penalising the poorer, less educated and less organised of society, instead of ensuring the corporate tax dodgers own up and pay there way. "

Poor people are more likely to smoke and drink too much alcohol.Should we remove tax from them?

Poppycock

I hope you went over a shoved some carrots and broccoli in her basket

If you want to know which is worse, heroin or sugar, just ask yourself “which one shall I give my children today”"

Have you ever seen a child or adult refused their sugar fix though. Gets nasty

So as a 32 year old women who works 40+ hours a week I should go and run my own allotment? Hahahahaha "

You say that like i should know those things about you. It was just an idea, many people work full time and enjoy keeping one. If it's not for you there's no need to laugh at the idea.

salisbury

A tax on sugar is unfair to those of us who are masters of our own gluttony. If i want a mars bar why should i pay more just because some people are too weak or have no self respect?

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

There's another option of not treating fat people in hospital.We don't offer liver transplants to alcoholics."

I’ve worked and contributed since I left school, if I need treatment on the NHS I should get it thanks very much

Maybe yes. It's cheap to eat healthy home cooked meals. No excuse to eat a lot of processed crap x

salisbury

There's another option of not treating fat people in hospital.We don't offer liver transplants to alcoholics.

I’ve worked and contributed since I left school, if I need treatment on the NHS I should get it thanks very much "

Surely that's what alcoholics think?

In the middle

The problem is no one cooks anymore, I do and always have, my kids never ate crap food, even when I didn’t have much money I could still feed us all on £30 a week because I knew how to shop wisely and how to cook, saying you work full time and haven’t the time when you get home is bullcrap, I work full time and I manage to make a meal, you can knock out chops and veg in 40 mins, people choose the easy option and that is where the problem lies.

I often wonder why they don’t just ban take aways, ban burgers, ban pizza and sweets and all the bad things, massive revenue and jobs I guess, so even though they tell us not to eat them they are still on supermarket shelves and every high street

In the middle

I’ve worked and contributed since I left school, if I need treatment on the NHS I should get it thanks very much

Surely that's what alcoholics think? "

Yes I’m sure it is

Basingstoke

"The problem is no one cooks anymore, I do and always have, my kids never ate crap food, even when I didn’t have much money I could still feed us all on £30 a week because I knew how to shop wisely and how to cook, saying you work full time and haven’t the time when you get home is bullcrap, I work full time and I manage to make a meal, you can knock out chops and veg in 40 mins, people choose the easy option and that is where the problem lies.

I often wonder why they don’t just ban take aways, ban burgers, ban pizza and sweets and all the bad things, massive revenue and jobs I guess, so even though they tell us not to eat them they are still on supermarket shelves and every high street "

it is increasingly hard to find a wife who is a good cook these days

In the middle

"The problem is no one cooks anymore, I do and always have, my kids never ate crap food, even when I didn’t have much money I could still feed us all on £30 a week because I knew how to shop wisely and how to cook, saying you work full time and haven’t the time when you get home is bullcrap, I work full time and I manage to make a meal, you can knock out chops and veg in 40 mins, people choose the easy option and that is where the problem lies.

I often wonder why they don’t just ban take aways, ban burgers, ban pizza and sweets and all the bad things, massive revenue and jobs I guess, so even though they tell us not to eat them they are still on supermarket shelves and every high street

it is increasingly hard to find a wife who is a good cook these days"

We are a dying breed for sure

salisbury

We are a dying breed for sure "

How do gay male couples cope?

In the middle

How do gay male couples cope? "

Fanny Craddock 70’s party cook book perhaps

Basingstoke

How do gay male couples cope? "

There's always one that acts like a woman. You never see two gay lumberjacks in a relationship. It's always a lumberjack and a hairdresser.

2kg chicken breast £10

3kg Penne Pasta £2.95

x4 Broccoli £2.20

2kg carrots £1.00

4jar Spices £4.00

TOTAL £20.15

The reason we shouldn't be taxing it however, is because it's the government again penalising the poorer, less educated and less organised of society, instead of ensuring the corporate tax dodgers own up and pay there way.

Poor people are more likely to smoke and drink too much alcohol.Should we remove tax from them?"

Wealthy people tend to eat at restaurants and not give a fuck how expensive the meal is. Should we not just tax those and monetarily exclusive restaurants more expensive, and reduce the tax on smoking and drinking??

No of course not, but we're talking hypothetical here. It's obvious that bad food is bad for you, and we're supposed exert control over our urges. But that doesn't mean that we should pretend there isn't also another ulterior motive when it comes to tax.

If we add a tax, but then make huge points of using that cash to educate the public, and pushing for kids to be taught how to budget correctly, pay bill, shop effectively, cook, and understand what a "healthy portion" looks like, all during school age, then I'm all for tax.

Basingstoke

"

If we add a tax, but then make huge points of using that cash to educate the public, and pushing for kids to be taught how to budget correctly, pay bill, shop effectively, cook, and understand what a "healthy portion" looks like, all during school age, then I'm all for tax. "

The idea that bad lifestyle choices come from a lack of knowledge is a simplistic, idealist notion that is patently false. It is entirely rational that poor people are more short term orientated in their hedonistic choices. No amount of state attempted brainwashing will change that.

"

If we add a tax, but then make huge points of using that cash to educate the public, and pushing for kids to be taught how to budget correctly, pay bill, shop effectively, cook, and understand what a "healthy portion" looks like, all during school age, then I'm all for tax.

The idea that bad lifestyle choices come from a lack of knowledge is a simplistic, idealist notion that is patently false. It is entirely rational that poor people are more short term orientated in their hedonistic choices. No amount of state attempted brainwashing will change that. "

This is a good point.

Yes it should

There's always one that acts like a woman. You never see two gay lumberjacks in a relationship. It's always a lumberjack and a hairdresser. "

My best friend and his bf are both pretty feminine.

Basingstoke

There's always one that acts like a woman. You never see two gay lumberjacks in a relationship. It's always a lumberjack and a hairdresser.

My best friend and his bf are both pretty feminine."

Well of course you can have two queens! I guess they share the cooking. I'm just saying that you never see two ultra macho gays in a relationship - so I'm saying the problem of "who cooks in gay relationships" is a false dichotomy

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

The end user, that's us, should never be taxed on stuff like this. Same thing with sugar tax and minimum prices for units of alcohol, et , etc.

The stuff has already been made so we sbould be allowed to buy it for what the vendor wants to sell it for.

If the government wants to improve the nations health then put regulation on the manufacturers to prevent them from making crap stuff in the first place.

Taxing the public for every little thing does not stop the problem it only prevents the poorest in society from being able to buy it.

I've just been out to a cafe for a fruit platter afternoon tea, and was sat next to an overweight child eating/drinking a freakshake with doughnut and felt nothing but sadness for the girl and sheer disbelief at the mother who struggles with her weight and goes to slimming world.

I was a fatish child, but never had access to such high calorie things such as freakshakes, I just can't see why parents would allow their children to have these. I honestly don't think childhood obesity is going to improve anytime soon.

Ginger

When poor people stop buying fast food and sugary sweets and chocolate the manufacturers will have to put up prices to recover their losses. All those middle class and rich people will have to dig deep for their treats.

By *urlesque!Woman  over a year ago

Gloucester

"When poor people stop buying fast food and sugary sweets and chocolate the manufacturers will have to put up prices to recover their losses. All those middle class and rich people will have to dig deep for their treats.

"

Agreed

And it is not in the (sugar) industry's interest to assist the population in staying slim and healthy.

By *_Yeah19Couple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Just to add to the ‘healthy eating is expensive’ argument, I worked out recently that you can get your 5 a day from 42p (standard prices, no offers) and also that I can feed myself a low carb/Keto real food diet for around £4.50 a day (good quality meat, I only eat berries which are one of the most expensive fruits and didn’t make the greatest efforts to find bargains).

So being able to choose a wider, cheaper variety of real, healthy food than I can does not need to be as expensive as people seem/want to think. It does involve having to free yourself from the addiction to fake non-foods though which can be more of a struggle.

TB

By *urlesque!Woman  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Just to add to the ‘healthy eating is expensive’ argument, I worked out recently that you can get your 5 a day from 42p (standard prices, no offers) and also that I can feed myself a low carb/Keto real food diet for around £4.50 a day (good quality meat, I only eat berries which are one of the most expensive fruits and didn’t make the greatest efforts to find bargains).

So being able to choose a wider, cheaper variety of real, healthy food than I can does not need to be as expensive as people seem/want to think. It does involve having to free yourself from the addiction to fake non-foods though which can be more of a struggle.

TB"

That's a great point - I was just thinking about keto/ low carb/ paleo style diets and you are right : If people are prepared to plan and prepare a bit, it does not have to cost the earth. In fact, many of the unhealthy snacks and treats are really expensive.

In the middle

"Just to add to the ‘healthy eating is expensive’ argument, I worked out recently that you can get your 5 a day from 42p (standard prices, no offers) and also that I can feed myself a low carb/Keto real food diet for around £4.50 a day (good quality meat, I only eat berries which are one of the most expensive fruits and didn’t make the greatest efforts to find bargains).

TB"

Exactly, no one is saying they need to shop at sainsbury’s, most basic supermarkets supply everything you would ever need, people just need to relearn how to use the things they buy wisely and not just throw things in the freezer and still end up ordering pizza

It is easy to eat cheap if somemone really wanted to, sure they cant get the best meats, but they could get the chicken in bulk for a week, like jamie oliver say, eat under a fiver, for example, for breakfast have oats then for dinner have tuna and pasta, that is under £2

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think increasing taxes is an option but that it would mainly just load higher taxes onto the poorest in society.

In general, the food industry gets off lightly, mostly being allowed to self-regulate. They probably need far tighter legislative and government controls.

Most food consumed in the UK is now very highly processed - not just processed, but processed to an incredibly high level. When the government knows this and does nothing to control it, in light of evidence increasingly showing how its damaging health, then it's bordering on immorality.

» Add a new message to this topic