FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Electric cars

Electric cars

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hubaysi OP   Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

Just seen the advert for the Nissan Leaf and I like....

It’s also being produced in Sunderland.

Has anybody got one?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have driven one, and was impressed, its down side is its range of travel on one charge. 80 miles. Great car if you work and travel locally to home.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

One drove past me last week at low speed and it really did sound like a milk float

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Electric cars are fine, but i'm not sure i'd get out of my street with a full load for camping before the battery died- even if they did make a model with a boot bigger than a gnats backpack

My old man sold his 911 and got a leaf

Still take the piss out of him for it

By *arehamMan  over a year ago

handforth

Total waste of money,

Last I drove to Heathrow and back in the day if you had an electric car you get to about Birmingham then it would die

"Total waste of money,

Last I drove to Heathrow and back in the day if you had an electric car you get to about Birmingham then it would die"

Unless you were going to Birmingham then it’s be great.

They’re perfect for some, not for other. Drove the Tesla and bmw i8, both nice cars

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

"I have driven one, and was impressed, its down side is its range of travel on one charge. 80 miles. Great car if you work and travel locally to home."

New battery set gives it up to 170 miles

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

with the leaf it is probably 2 years off being a good real world option....

at the moment the new one just comes in a 40kw battery option..... but they are saying the 2019/2020 versions may come with a 60kw battery option.... once that happens...much further real world mileage... and it will be game on!

Leeds

"Total waste of money,

Last I drove to Heathrow and back in the day if you had an electric car you get to about Birmingham then it would die"

I’m not planning on driving to London or Birmimgham in it

Pointless for us

Can’t drive to London without stopping to re charge from Yorkshire

Only 200 Miles !!

Cannot tow Caravan , poor boot size

It will be a few years until they become practical for us !

By *eplicant JoWoman  over a year ago

Sussex countryside

They are ok, they are what they are, a mid range vehicle perfect for running around town etc. If longer journeys are needed it just means a bit of planning to find where the charge stations are.

The people driving them slow are only preserving battery life, they quite happily nip along at speed limits. I would say go have a test drive and decide for yourself

Leeds

Do you think in the future all cars will be electric?

"with the leaf it is probably 2 years off being a good real world option....

at the moment the new one just comes in a 40kw battery option..... but they are saying the 2019/2020 versions may come with a 60kw battery option.... once that happens...much further real world mileage... and it will be game on!"

Currently leafs are useless for any medium distance driving.

When the wipers, lights and heating are on the range differs.

They can only just about manage an 80 mile trip

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

You guys are so funny. I bet you still say things like "Don't get a car with electric windows, it's just another thing to go wrong."

i wonder if mechanics will take less and less of a role in vehicle repairs and electricians take over the job of mending cars in the future?

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

"Do you think in the future all cars will be electric? "

Well considering the date has been set when the sale of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned in Europe and the UK (2040), and considering nearly all product development from manufacturers is in electric, I'd have to say yes. In 20 years time petrol and diesel cars will be a rarety.

Battery life / range is rapidly developing, and in a few years you'll be able to drive the length of the UK on a single charge.

So like them or not, it's inevitable.

People who try and deny it are the ones who used to say the internet would never catch on.

"Do you think in the future all cars will be electric?

Well considering the date has been set when the sale of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned in Europe and the UK (2040), and considering nearly all product development from manufacturers is in electric, I'd have to say yes. In 20 years time petrol and diesel cars will be a rarety.

Battery life / range is rapidly developing, and in a few years you'll be able to drive the length of the UK on a single charge.

People who try and deny it are the ones who used to say the internet would never catch on."

electric roads are already a thing ... kind of big scalextric ... coupled with solar roads like they've started to lay down in holland ... maybe batteries will just be a small stepping stone

Leeds

People who try and deny it are the ones who used to say the internet would never catch on.

electric roads are already a thing ... kind of big scalextric ... coupled with solar roads like they've started to lay down in holland ... maybe batteries will just be a small stepping stone

"

Like what they have in the States?

i reckon if AI cars are being encouraged then cars will ditch having wheels, suspension etc and some kind of MAGLEV will make a comeback

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Not until they can sort out rapid charging, particularly for people living in flats or street properties with no private driveway.

Not until they can sort out rapid charging, particularly for people living in flats or street properties with no private driveway.

"

see wireless charging roads ... already a thing

Leeds

"

I wondered about that too! So much to consider with all the charging and the amount of charging units required if we are all using electric cars

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Electric cars are not the solution to the environment problem .they've just moved the problem sideways . 94% of the batteries cannot be recycled . just wait till there is a mountain of batteries stockpiled all over the place .another great idea ....not .the range of the leaf is pathetic 85 miles . that recent case of that woman who was driving her leaf .it cost her a fortune to have hers removed off the motorway . her gauge said she had 21% battery life left when in fact she had none .well done Nissan .

Nope, I think future cars will work on electromagnets instead.

Leeds

Nope, I think future cars will work on electromagnets instead."

Electromagnets? Please explain

durham

Nissan claim the range of the leaf is around 125 miles .they blamed the woman's style of driving to only get 85 out of it . well done let's all blame the driver

Nope, I think future cars will work on electromagnets instead."

i agree ... frictionless transport using ceramic super-conductor technology

Electromagnets? Please explain "

google maglev

Electromagnets? Please explain "

Type in Maglev train in google, it will do better at explaining

"Total waste of money,

They’re town/short range commuting cars. If you’re doing that sort of mileage then it’s your own fault for buying an inappropriate car.

"Total waste of money,

Last I drove to Heathrow and back in the day if you had an electric car you get to about Birmingham then it would die

They’re town/short range commuting cars. If you’re doing that sort of mileage then it’s your own fault for buying an inappropriate car. "

New tesla roadster has a range of 500+ miles. That's hardly a short commute.

Yes I know it's super expensive but give it a few years and it will become the standard.

I wondered about that too! So much to consider with all the charging and the amount of charging units required if we are all using electric cars "

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/811064/Renault-electric-car-wireless-charging-roads

"Electric cars are not the solution to the environment problem .they've just moved the problem sideways . 94% of the batteries cannot be recycled . just wait till there is a mountain of batteries stockpiled all over the place .another great idea ....not .the range of the leaf is pathetic 85 miles . that recent case of that woman who was driving her leaf .it cost her a fortune to have hers removed off the motorway . her gauge said she had 21% battery life left when in fact she had none .well done Nissan . "

The battery problem is where Elon Musk comes in. If his work can ensure they are sustainable, and can be made in a sustainable way, then we're more likely to move to electric cars.

My issue at the moment is that it just transfers the emissions to power plants and I'm not sure we have the capacity in our current power plants to cope with that.

"Electric cars are not the solution to the environment problem .they've just moved the problem sideways . 94% of the batteries cannot be recycled . just wait till there is a mountain of batteries stockpiled all over the place .another great idea ....not .the range of the leaf is pathetic 85 miles . that recent case of that woman who was driving her leaf .it cost her a fortune to have hers removed off the motorway . her gauge said she had 21% battery life left when in fact she had none .well done Nissan .

The battery problem is where Elon Musk comes in. If his work can ensure they are sustainable, and can be made in a sustainable way, then we're more likely to move to electric cars.

My issue at the moment is that it just transfers the emissions to power plants and I'm not sure we have the capacity in our current power plants to cope with that.

"

this is where maglev comes in ... most energy of cars is used to overcome friction, including electric cars ... if there is no friction then only tiny amounts of energy are requied to achieve forward motion

"Electric cars are not the solution to the environment problem .they've just moved the problem sideways . 94% of the batteries cannot be recycled . just wait till there is a mountain of batteries stockpiled all over the place .another great idea ....not .the range of the leaf is pathetic 85 miles . that recent case of that woman who was driving her leaf .it cost her a fortune to have hers removed off the motorway . her gauge said she had 21% battery life left when in fact she had none .well done Nissan .

this is where maglev comes in ... most energy of cars is used to overcome friction, including electric cars ... if there is no friction then only tiny amounts of energy are requied to achieve forward motion"

I can see that but that's not what the Leaf or others do yet.

Isn't there something about microwaves too, or is that just trains?

this is where maglev comes in ... most energy of cars is used to overcome friction, including electric cars ... if there is no friction then only tiny amounts of energy are requied to achieve forward motion

I can see that but that's not what the Leaf or others do yet.

Isn't there something about microwaves too, or is that just trains?

"

there are microwave theories coming into play ... the leaf doesn't use maglev but the leaf will become defunct tech very quickly .... it's like calculators being the step between vintage adding machines with handles you'd pull and modern mobile phones .... calculators only lasted about a decade or so

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

People who try and deny it are the ones who used to say the internet would never catch on."

Thought it was cars solely powered by petrol or diesel that were being banned. Hybrids will still be available but I bet the cost of fuel will start to rocket

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Don't those fuckers burn though! When everyone's driving electric cars those fireman are gonna be busy boys! Especially in the quarantine area..

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Not a chance, the technology is flawed due to battery technology not being there and limited lifespan so they will be scrap after 6 - 7 years.

Costly tat.

salisbury

My bmw is 20 years old this year. Will a 20 year old Nissan leaf still be drivable?

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I'd love to see 1 burn. A v6 will alway turn me on more than 12v.

always wondered the cost of charging and replacement batteries

"always wondered the cost of charging and replacement batteries"

carry on wondering because there's some widly over the top claims on this thread lol

"Don't those fuckers burn though! When everyone's driving electric cars those fireman are gonna be busy boys! Especially in the quarantine area.. "

A woman in a hybrid pumped petrol into her charging port like a dick head and burned out her entire car at the fuel station/supermarket near here not long back.

I mean, who'd have thought petrol and electricity needed better separation because end users are idiots? God knows how many other oversights there are.

I'd have thought it was a given seeing how ridiculously thick so many people are.

I'll wait till petrol/diesel are banned and then see what happens...till then, absolutely no thanks to electric or hybrid.

"I'd love to see 1 burn. A v6 will alway turn me on more than 12v."

Hybrid went up by here bit long back..left a pissy little melted shell as it was mostly plastic and cheap shit lightweight materials that just went up like so much tinder. Wonder how much carbon that produced?

By *londieddWoman  over a year ago

fife

"Total waste of money,

Unless you were going to Birmingham then it’s be great.

They’re perfect for some, not for other. Drove the Tesla and bmw i8, both nice cars "

Tesla model x amazing car! nobody has ever laughed or taken the piss out of mine

Don't believe electric powered cars are the way forward to be honest because after all you still require power stations to "fuel" them and their lack of range.

Think hydrogen fuel cells seem to be the answer.

[Removed by poster at 10/02/18 18:13:16]

Not practical enough for what I use a car for at the moment, lack of miles, lack of cargo carrying ability, and cost, all prohibiting factors for me right now. That's not to say I wouldn't switch if the manufacturers provide what I need in the future.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Total waste of money,

They’re town/short range commuting cars. If you’re doing that sort of mileage then it’s your own fault for buying an inappropriate car.

Yes I know it's super expensive but give it a few years and it will become the standard."

well i am still on the model 3 waiting list.... been told to expect mine mid/late 19....

they do an extended range model 3 which will get somewhere in the region of 300-400 miles real world out of it....

salisbury

"Total waste of money,

Yes I know it's super expensive but give it a few years and it will become the standard.

well i am still on the model 3 waiting list.... been told to expect mine mid/late 19....

they do an extended range model 3 which will get somewhere in the region of 300-400 miles real world out of it...."

How much is that?

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

A company I worked for at Gatwick got them, the range was not good at only 100 miles. This goes down with the use of the heaters, radio and other electrical systems.

It is ideal if you have a short commute, i.e. under 20 miles, from the one I drove they are ok.

As someone who works in the fuel industry, electric and hybrid cars are not the answer, neither are fissile fuels.

Let me explain.

Electric cars, the infrastructure of our road network cannot support charging stations if we all had to switch to electric vehicles, the electricity grid couldn’t cope either. New means of power would be needed to support this, such as nuclear, then what’s the point?

Hybrids, they are not ecconomically viable, their m.p.g is awfull, you still need carbon fuel technology to generate power!

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

Hydrogen looks promising, but it’s very expensive and difficult to split hydrogen from other gasses,

There is no alternatives yet, that actually may work!!

"As someone who works in the fuel industry, electric and hybrid cars are not the answer, neither are fissile fuels.

Let me explain.

Electric cars, the infrastructure of our road network cannot support charging stations if we all had to switch to electric vehicles, the electricity grid couldn’t cope either. New means of power would be needed to support this, such as nuclear, then what’s the point?

Hybrids, they are not ecconomically viable, their m.p.g is awfull, you still need carbon fuel technology to generate power!

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

Hydrogen looks promising, but it’s very expensive and difficult to split hydrogen from other gasses,

There is no alternatives yet, that actually may work!!"

we've already established that there will be no need for charging points in lats nights post ... read through the whole thread

salisbury

Horse and cart. The end.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Total waste of money,

they do an extended range model 3 which will get somewhere in the region of 300-400 miles real world out of it....

How much is that? "

before "brexit" it was going to end up costing somewhere around 20,000 after the EV discount (which was going to be around 4k) now its going to cost closer around 23 for the normal and 30 for the extended range.....

salisbury

"Total waste of money,

How much is that?

before "brexit" it was going to end up costing somewhere around 20,000 after the EV discount (which was going to be around 4k) now its going to cost closer around 23 for the normal and 30 for the extended range....."

Jeez. I should have tried harder at school.

"As someone who works in the fuel industry, electric and hybrid cars are not the answer, neither are fissile fuels.

Let me explain.

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

we've already established that there will be no need for charging points in lats nights post ... read through the whole thread"

Who ever said that is completely ignorant to actual facts

There will be a need for charging points no matter what anyone has told you in the thread, stop and think how many vehicles are on the road, heavy goods, vans. You think they are all going to drive home to be charged?

And where do you honestly think all this spare energy to charge all these vehicles is going to come from!!!

I did say I work in the fuel industry, but hey what do I know!!

Let me explain.

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

we've already established that there will be no need for charging points in lats nights post ... read through the whole thread

There will be a need for charging points no matter what anyone has told you in the thread, stop and think how many vehicles are on the road, heavy goods, vans. You think they are all going to drive home to be charged?

And where do you honestly think all this spare energy to charge all these vehicles is going to come from!!!

"

nothing by the look of it

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

What's the life span of the batteries on electric cars ?

And who pays for disposing of them afterwards ?

Let me explain.

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

nothing by the look of it"

Come on then Einstein you divulge your expanse of wisdom for us all

Let me explain.

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

Come on then Einstein you divulge your expanse of wisdom for us all"

read the thread sugar

[Removed by poster at 10/02/18 19:56:31]

Let me explain.

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

read the thread sugar"

Don’t call me sugar

I don’t know you

Don’t be so arrogant!!

As for the thread I stick to what I know and have read directly from the APEA

If you don’t agree, fine no issues, after all it’s about opinions.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

The future will be electric because the Chinese and Germans have decided that it will be sooner rather than later.

In the short term it does shift the problem, but it shifts it from where you and your children inhale it to somewhere significantly further away. Over time, this will be a progressively smaller problem as less polluting power generation becomes available.

Hydrogen power most likely to be used by heavy transport as the additional mass and volume of a pressurised tank is sensible at that scale.

Alternatively, we do what the USA is doing and try to live in the past and get left behind at a critical point in technological development...

Let me explain.

Diesel and gas :

Same old issues

read the thread sugar

Don’t call me sugar

I don’t know you

Don’t be so arrogant!!

As for the thread I stick to what I know and have read directly from the APEA

If you don’t agree, fine no issues, after all it’s about opinions. "

i thought you were starting with the pet names whn you called me einstein to be fair ... i se you were just being nasty

as for the thread, i'll leave you continue to use some self appointed spokespeople of the petrol industry to be your sole source of information on the subject

salisbury

"The future will be electric because the Chinese and Germans have decided that it will be sooner rather than later.

In the short term it does shift the problem, but it shifts it from where you and your children inhale it to somewhere significantly further away. Over time, this will be a progressively smaller problem as less polluting power generation becomes available.

Hydrogen power most likely to be used by heavy transport as the additional mass and volume of a pressurised tank is sensible at that scale.

Alternatively, we do what the USA is doing and try to live in the past and get left behind at a critical point in technological development..."

Isn't a bi-product of hydrogen power cells water vapour? One of the biggest contributers to climate change.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

great idea esp ...if u live in tower block on tenth floor ....get a long extension lead ....just a fad by tree huggers and rich twats who think they saving planet ....but truck on u will love it when the bats don't do the miles stated and u get stuck

West London

"The future will be electric because the Chinese and Germans have decided that it will be sooner rather than later.

Alternatively, we do what the USA is doing and try to live in the past and get left behind at a critical point in technological development...

Isn't a bi-product of hydrogen power cells water vapour? One of the biggest contributers to climate change. "

In the upper atmosphere as aircraft condensation trails it reflects heat back.

We don't have flying cars yet.

A little knowledge is dangerous.

By *mojeeCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Latest episode of the grand tour had a fantastic Tesla that Clarkson reviewed. He went mad for it then said he wouldn't buy it. 150,000 quid was the reason. Electric has a lot to prove in the next few few years to become viable for the average joe

West London

"great idea esp ...if u live in tower block on tenth floor ....get a long extension lead ....just a fad by tree huggers and rich twats who think they saving planet ....but truck on u will love it when the bats don't do the miles stated and u get stuck"

There is a form that's developed chargers that can be retrofitted to lamp posts.

The necessary steps aren't fantastical.

Just because you haven't thought of a solution doesn't mean one isn't possible.

salisbury

Isn't a bi-product of hydrogen power cells water vapour? One of the biggest contributers to climate change.

A little knowledge is dangerous."

Wouldn't it condensate into clouds then?

"My old man sold his 911 and got a leaf

Still take the piss out of him for it "

And rightly so!

canterbury

great so everyone will park by lamp-posts ....as if parking is not bad enough already

"great so everyone will park by lamp-posts ....as if parking is not bad enough already"

paupers from tower blocks in kent won't be able to afford cars by 2021 so you should stop worrying about it chap

salisbury

"great so everyone will park by lamp-posts ....as if parking is not bad enough already

paupers from tower blocks in kent won't be able to afford cars by 2021 so you should stop worrying about it chap"

True. It looks like the end of the third or fourth hand car market.

salisbury

A little knowledge is dangerous."

From NASA..

Water vapor is known to be Earth’s most abundant greenhouse gas, but the extent of its contribution to global warming has been debated. Using recent NASA satellite data, researchers have estimated more precisely than ever the heat-trapping effect of water in the air, validating the role of the gas as a critical component of climate change.

Electric cars are a stop gap. Nothing more. They're a step backwards and even if you doubled the battery life, doubled the range and halved the charging time they would still be a step backwards. They're a gimmick used to reduce the overall "total possible emissions" produced by car companies (like the rebadged Toyota aygo sold by Aston Martin) so they're allowed to continue trading,

"great so everyone will park by lamp-posts ....as if parking is not bad enough already

paupers from tower blocks in kent won't be able to afford cars by 2021 so you should stop worrying about it chap"

I lived on the sixth floor of a tower block and had a car, living in a block has no reflection on if you can afford to be a motorist whatsoever unless your a bit up your own arse and have the misconception that people in flats are poor that is.

paupers from tower blocks in kent won't be able to afford cars by 2021 so you should stop worrying about it chap

I lived on the sixth floor of a tower block and had a car, living in a block has no reflection on if you can afford to be a motorist whatsoever unless your a bit up your own arse and have the misconception that people in flats are poor that is."

don't get too complacent, it's not 2021 yet

canterbury

Glad u so rich xx

Worcester

"Electric cars are a stop gap. Nothing more. They're a step backwards and even if you doubled the battery life, doubled the range and halved the charging time they would still be a step backwards. They're a gimmick used to reduce the overall "total possible emissions" produced by car companies (like the rebadged Toyota aygo sold by Aston Martin) so they're allowed to continue trading,

"

Hopefully the "having to have a small car in your line up" will be scrapped when we leave the EU.

Worcester

"always wondered the cost of charging and replacement batteries"

On a Leaf it's around £8000. For a re-cell

On a Tesla around £15000 on the high end models.

The bit they don't mention in the ads or glossy brochures.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"always wondered the cost of charging and replacement batteries

The bit they don't mention in the ads or glossy brochures."

to be fair in the other direction tesla will also give you an 8 yr warrenty on the battery.... so if you are buying new or nearly new you are okay.... it might be a consideration in the very late 2nd hand market... but how many people these days buy 6-7 yr old cars....

West London

What is it that you do not like about electric vehicles or that you find particularly praiseworthy for the internal combustion engine?

Do you still have a cathode ray TV? Do you only have a desktop computer?

Tesla had a guaranteed buy back price and free supercharging.

I doubt that the original IC engines cars came with much of a guarantee at all.

Why should anyone have switched from the horse and cart?

You also seem to believe that the EU is responsible for the CO2 emissions legislation. Any reason you don't think it has something to do with the WLTP regulations to reduce the emissions to improve health and reduce the impact of climate change?

Perhaps climate change is a conspiracy propagated by the powerful academics and scientists against the poor, suffering international petrochemical industry?

Are there any drawbacks to IC vehicles? Any benefits to electric ones?

Here's the simple question:

Would you be happier leaving a class of children in a closed room with a petrol or diesel car running or an electric one?

West London

"Electric cars are a stop gap. Nothing more. They're a step backwards and even if you doubled the battery life, doubled the range and halved the charging time they would still be a step backwards. They're a gimmick used to reduce the overall "total possible emissions" produced by car companies (like the rebadged Toyota aygo sold by Aston Martin) so they're allowed to continue trading,

"

Stop-gap to what?

"Step-backwards" based on what criteria? Range alone?

Worcester

What is it that you do not like about electric vehicles or that you find particularly praiseworthy for the internal combustion engine?

You also seem to believe that the EU is responsible for the CO2 emissions legislation. Any reason you don't think it has something to do with the WLTP regulations to reduce the emissions to improve health and reduce the impact of climate change?

Perhaps climate change is a conspiracy propagated by the powerful academics and scientists against the poor, suffering international petrochemical industry?

Would you be happier leaving a class of children in a closed room with a petrol or diesel car running or an electric one?"

Like all big organisations the car industry will "love" electric as they know you will have to buy a new one every 6 to 8 years so it's a win win for them all ways.

Of course they will condemn the old technology as it suits their marketplace.

West London

Would you be happier leaving a class of children in a closed room with a petrol or diesel car running or an electric one?

Like all big organisations the car industry will "love" electric as they know you will have to buy a new one every 6 to 8 years so it's a win win for them all ways.

Of course they will condemn the old technology as it suits their marketplace."

That's really not even vaguely an answer to what I asked is it?

Silent cars in car parks; flipping dangerous imo. They just suddenly move without warning.

[Removed by poster at 11/02/18 15:12:22]

salisbury

"Silent cars in car parks; flipping dangerous imo. They just suddenly move without warning. "

True. They should have an audible warning when moving off.

Worcester

That's really not even vaguely an answer to what I asked is it? "

It was a ridiculous question, I wouldn’t put a car in with them full stop the answer would be electric but it’s a one sided question.

Let’s face it no matter what we do the pollution chucked out across the developing countries if far greater than anything we do.

Carbon footprint is only a spin doctors way of the government charging us more, had you heard of it say 15 years ago?

"Just seen the advert for the Nissan Leaf and I like....

Has anybody got one?

"

You would be best checking out charging point locations and see if the suit your travel plans

Up here in Scotland there is no point getting an electric car if you like to travel and see the scenery due to limited charging points

stick with hydrocarbon fuels

By *iercedyvonneTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 13/02/18 10:58:35]

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Yes . But not for around 30 years at a guess .

Glasgow

I've actually got an electric car.

If you had said a year ago I would have one I would have said you were nuts but I am totally converted now.

I didn't get the leaf at the time due to range - but would consider now as it has improved. I get an average of 125 miles per charge (less in winter, more in summer - even ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) cars are less efficient in winter)

It is a joy to drive, the quietness, responsiveness, smoothness an not having to go to petrol stations any more.

It costs me about 4p per mile.

Also, as they are so simple compared to ICE cars, servicing and maintenance is cheap. Battery guaranteed 8 years.

We do have a second ICE car which we use for big trips or big loads but TBH for 99% of our journeys the electric is taken in preference. We are looking to replace the ICE with electric this year - as soon as someone comes out with a 200 mile range one with plenty space we will go all-electric.

All the so-called problems dragged up in this thread are really not a problem. This isn't the place to debate all these but I have researched it fully and I am also an engineer so do understand these things and they don't worry me.

The only real problem is grid capacity. I'm putting in solar panels myself and in fact, electric cars will help the problem as the technology will allow them to take power when it is plentiful and even to put power back into the grid to deal with peaks. I think technology will only just be ahead of the problem, and can't all convert to electric today but should be ok.

I really think that if you are buying a new car and not seriously considering an electric one you are making a mistake. They don't suit everyone yet but are getting there. We are creatures of habit and stick with what we know but we have to step back and really think about it objectively with the facts and make an informed decision, not just listen to some loud mouth who knows nothing saying electric cars are rubbish based on how bad the first electric cars were.

That said, within 10 years there will be autonomous cars on our roads - I imagine the cost will be so low (no driver costs and clever scheduling software) that a lot of people won't need to own a car.

These autonomous cars will all be electric. Driving and car use in the future will be very different to how it is now.

If anyone has any questions about electric cars and stuff like grants, charging etc then feel free to pm me.

West London

That's really not even vaguely an answer to what I asked is it?

It was a ridiculous question, I wouldn’t put a car in with them full stop the answer would be electric but it’s a one sided question.

Let’s face it no matter what we do the pollution chucked out across the developing countries if far greater than anything we do.

Carbon footprint is only a spin doctors way of the government charging us more, had you heard of it say 15 years ago?"

If you think so then you are missing the point.

Make a closed room the distance from the pavement or a busy road or even a busy road to a side street.

Pollution close to you does more damage than that further away and diffused over larger distances or that could be replaced over time with non polluting alternatives.

Are you saying that some problems are "too big to solve"? Shall we stop cancer research? Perhaps nobody should have investigated flight. Flight! How impossible is it for a human to fly?

How would you go about the measurement of a complex subject like tracking the effect on the environment of an item with a long and intricate manufacturing process?

The concept of a carbon footprint didn't exist before because nobody thought it was worth measuring.

The measuring of a light year had no purpose once.

The need to measure pressure didn't exist.

And...and...and...

What are you actually saying? That climate change is a con or a conspiracy?

That reducing pollution is not worthwhile or futile?

That you just like vehicles with internal combustion engines more than the new fangled electric ones?

By *ary_JosephCouple  over a year ago

South Shields

Not a chance, the technology is flawed due to battery technology not being there and limited lifespan so they will be scrap after 6 - 7 years.

Costly tat."

Not strictly true.

The early Prius hybrids are still going strong with the original batteries. Taxi Drivers swear by them.

We've bought a DS5 Diesel Hybrid and we are very impressed. The cost savings are fantastic. Road tax is £10 and a tank of diesel is lasting knocking on 1000 miles. We leave the drivetrain in auto so the car decides wether to use electric or combustion power.

We have to accept that the motor industry is moving down the electric path so let's embrace it rather than fight it. We can't have all electric yet because of the range but hybrid is sort of a step in the right direction.

We are tempted to even try the new phev Range Rover next.

Costly tat.

Not strictly true.

The early Prius hybrids are still going strong with the original batteries. Taxi Drivers swear by them.

We've bought a DS5 Diesel Hybrid and we are very impressed. The cost savings are fantastic. Road tax is £10 and a tank of diesel is lasting knocking on 1000 miles. We leave the drivetrain in auto so the car decides wether to use electric or combustion power.

We have to accept that the motor industry is moving down the electric path so let's embrace it rather than fight it. We can't have all electric yet because of the range but hybrid is sort of a step in the right direction.

We are tempted to even try the new phev Range Rover next."

My van does 660 and I’m hauling around the equivalent of your car in the back.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I have a plug-in hybrid. Best of both worlds and and good alternative to a full electric car.

Worcester

[Removed by poster at 13/02/18 22:47:23]

Glasgow

"

My van does 660 and I’m hauling around the equivalent of your car in the back. "

I'm curious - what is the make, model and year?

Forcing people to switch to Electric by pricing petrol and Diesel beyond the reach of most, accompanied by banning petrol cars isn't the solution.

If public transport was efficient, economical, pleasurable and practical, we would all use it.

The infrastructure in this country barely copes with the traffic we have. Without major investment in solar, wind and nuclear power, we couldn't keep all these electric cars charged up.

Electric cars (at present) are a city solution to a city problem. For us out in the sticks, our transport requirements are different.

"Forcing people to switch to Electric by pricing petrol and Diesel beyond the reach of most, accompanied by banning petrol cars isn't the solution.

If public transport was efficient, economical, pleasurable and practical, we would all use it.

The infrastructure in this country barely copes with the traffic we have. Without major investment in solar, wind and nuclear power, we couldn't keep all these electric cars charged up.

Electric cars (at present) are a city solution to a city problem. For us out in the sticks, our transport requirements are different. "

didn't anybody tell you? 'the sticks' is being redveloped and is to become a theme park for the wealthy

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

unsustainable, the UK electric grid can hardly handle everyone turning on their kettle at half time of a world cup English match.

Once hydrogen power cells reach a certain level the government will push them over plug in cars.

"Forcing people to switch to Electric by pricing petrol and Diesel beyond the reach of most, accompanied by banning petrol cars isn't the solution.

Electric cars (at present) are a city solution to a city problem. For us out in the sticks, our transport requirements are different.

didn't anybody tell you? 'the sticks' is being redveloped and is to become a theme park for the wealthy"

Didn't they do that with Wales? You pay to get in on the Severn Crossing but it is free to leave

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Electric cars are not a city solution to a city problem. Public transport is. Cities are too congested and electric cars will not solve that.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Quite right. I love the internal combustion engine, I was raised on it. I’m in the industry and the powers that be who never have to worry about servicing and motoring costs want driving to become the preserve of the wealthy.

It’s happening , they want poor people off the road. In their thinking, anyone that can’t afford a new car must be poor.

"Electric cars are not a city solution to a city problem. Public transport is. Cities are too congested and electric cars will not solve that.

"

Electric cars are not a rural solution to a rural problem then.

If it is the emissions of petrol/diesel fumes that are the problem in cities, then the electric car makes sense.

For anyone who lives and works outside of the city, electric cars solve so few problems to be viable.

I have a small diesel for trips into the city and a large 4x4 for family and other trips. I also have a motorbike for when the small car would be wasteful.

When it snows or I have to move large things, the small car is useless.

So unless you also suggest that I ditch the big car, got sterilised (retrospetively)after my second child and get all my food deleivered, an electic car won't work for me.

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Except that they are pushing leased cars at the moment, so that the poor can be talked into a new car, that they could not otherwise buy as they have no cash.

And who will want an old electric car that is out of warranty, and where the batteries cost 10 x the value of the car?

West London

Plug-in hybrids that provide cheap and clean propulsion when needed and a small, extremely efficient range extender engine to charge the battery? Fantasy.

Autonomous driving? Utter drivel. It's not as if electric propulsion simplifies this a thousandfold. Anyway, driving is so much fun. Especially the commute to and from work. I'm used to traffic jams and cramp in my clutch foot.

Flying? Nonsense. It will never happen. If it does it will only be for rich people. I'll stick to the bus and the ship.

Driving? Crazy. Where are the petrol stations? They only do about two miles per gallon and it's only a hobby for stiffs I'll stick to the horse and cart that I grew up with.

Sigh

Just on the subject of electric cars, I’ve just watched the video of the new RR sport Phev going to heavens gate in China.

Now my previous car was an svr and I’ve got the overfinch supersport on order so I know how good these cars are performance wise but this video is unreal... Aleways felt the svr was the best car I’ve ever owned and this just emphasises what stunning machines they are

https://amp.uk.businessinsider.com/hybrid-range-rover-climb-999-steps-45-degree-china-heavens-gate-dragon-challenge2018-2

salisbury

Do you think we're being weaned away from car ownership in preparation for us all having to go electric?

Electric cars a good thing but one thing to make them better they could add a backup power cell just in case the other one runs out of power

"Just seen the advert for the Nissan Leaf and I like....

Has anybody got one?

"

Not got one but driven them for Nissan. Quite response acceleration.

Parking brake is operated with yr foot, plus it drives like an automatic so beware of accidentally "left foot braking" it if your used to a manual gearbox car by subconsciously thinking your dipping the cluch.. Can cause an accident.

Otherwise its a practical car and I'm impressed

durham

wait till there's a mountain of old batteries stockpiled all over the place .94% of the battery cannot be recycled .what happens then .electric is not a long term answer .its just another problem for someone to sort out in the future .good luck with that . the range of electric cars is pathetic .wow a leaf can do 85 miles out if a charge . Nissan claim 125 miles but in reality its much less .well done .

salisbury

The bit they don't mention in the ads or glossy brochures.wait till there's a mountain of old batteries stockpiled all over the place .94% of the battery cannot be recycled .what happens then .electric is not a long term answer .its just another problem for someone to sort out in the future .good luck with that . the range of electric cars is pathetic .wow a leaf can do 85 miles out if a charge . Nissan claim 125 miles but in reality its much less .well done ."

Sat in traffic heater on radio on lights on...... "hello AA? My batteries flat..... again".

Stop-gap to what?

"Step-backwards" based on what criteria? Range alone?"

Stop gap to the next thing (probably hydrogen)

"Step backwards" based on the

Fact you are unable to get in it, drive until you run out of fuel, spend a few mins filling it up and then continue driving.

They require additional planning, additional equipment, additional time, money and effort. That, is not going forward. It's going backwards

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

2 points..

First point, steam is the way to go, steam can now be produced almost instantly, the steam engine is on of the most efficient engines there is.

Use a small steam engine to charge the batteries like a range extender...

Second point, the most polluting stages of a motor vehicle's life are the building and scrapping processes.

Far more polluting than the actual driving, electric vehicles are pretty much the worse at these points.

So I will stick to my 30 year old planet saving Land Rover...

By *anny5Man  over a year ago

washington

Ye shit cars small and fucking use to less jap crap ??

By *estinysswingersCouple  over a year ago

Worsley

The new Nissan Leaf has a range of about 150 miles. Next years update will be over 200 miles. For the vast majority this is more than enough. The future is definitely electric. Big cities all over the world are planning combustion engine bans.

salisbury

"The new Nissan Leaf has a range of about 150 miles. Next years update will be over 200 miles. For the vast majority this is more than enough. The future is definitely electric. Big cities all over the world are planning combustion engine bans. "

Which fools will buy this year's...

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Where does the electricity come from to power these cars ?

If you got the money the Tesla is very nice.Ive had a spin in a model x with ludicrous mode on.Goes like shit off a shovel.This fella had a power wall

installed on his garage being charged by solar panels.His Tesla ran on the sun.

Kill them all with fire!

"Where does the electricity come from to power these cars ?"

erm, a socket in the wall obviously ... duhhh!

here

"Where does the electricity come from to power these cars ?

erm, a socket in the wall obviously ... duhhh!"

.... ok

The electricity in the wall socket that charges the car - where does it come from??

Worcester

"If you got the money the Tesla is very nice.Ive had a spin in a model x with ludicrous mode on.Goes like shit off a shovel.This fella had a power wall

"

Solar wall, costs more than the ridiculous price of the car it’s charging, gulp.

Okay if you are mega rich for Joe public, how does it add up?

.... ok

The electricity in the wall socket that charges the car - where does it come from??"

probably the same place that the electricity that's used to make a gallon of petrol comes from

.... ok

The electricity in the wall socket that charges the car - where does it come from??"

Mixture of various sources including renewables(wind/solar)/gas/nuclear/coal.

Coal is being phased out.Renewables generated 3 times as much as coal in 2017.

salisbury

The Chinese will make sure we have enough energy to use in their batteries.

Worcester

.... ok

The electricity in the wall socket that charges the car - where does it come from??

Mixture of various sources including renewables(wind/solar)/gas/nuclear/coal.

Coal is being phased out.Renewables generated 3 times as much as coal in 2017."

Only due to being heavily subsidised

Once the funding stops they become non viable.

once the funding stops, internal combustion engines will be obsolete

"If you got the money the Tesla is very nice.Ive had a spin in a model x with ludicrous mode on.Goes like shit off a shovel.This fella had a power wall

Solar wall, costs more than the ridiculous price of the car it’s charging, gulp.

Okay if you are mega rich for Joe public, how does it add up?"

The Tesla model 3 is £25k same as VW golf.

"

The Tesla model 3 is £25k same as VW golf."

those god'am mega rich joe public vw golf owning b******s!

salisbury

The Tesla model 3 is £25k same as VW golf."

Thing is i wouldn't buy that golf until it was down to about £1500. It'll still work. Will the tesla still work when it's worth £1500?

you'll have your free bus pass by then so who gives a f**k?

Thing is i wouldn't buy that golf until it was down to about £1500. It'll still work. Will the tesla still work when it's worth £1500?"

All technology drops in price.The first 42in flat screen TV went on sale in the the USA in 1997 for 15k.

why can't people stop getting ideas above their station and just buy vw sciroccos instead?

salisbury

Thing is i wouldn't buy that golf until it was down to about £1500. It'll still work. Will the tesla still work when it's worth £1500? All technology drops in price.The first 42in flat screen TV went on sale in the the USA in 1997 for 15k. "

Does it still work? Because my 1998 3-series does.

Thing is i wouldn't buy that golf until it was down to about £1500. It'll still work. Will the tesla still work when it's worth £1500? All technology drops in price.The first 42in flat screen TV went on sale in the the USA in 1997 for 15k.

Does it still work? Because my 1998 3-series does."

It the engine in a 98 3 series won't cost the £15k it costs the change the batteries in a tesla.

As it happens. I'm fully considering buying a classic. Well, maybe something early 90's. Technology has ruined cars in my opinion. I want something that can be taken to pieces

With a ring spanner and doesn't need a laptop to diagnose a fault with a £2500 ecu.

Just read through the thread... solar powered electric roads... can't even afford to fix the potholes in our roads now!

Nuclear power stations 30 to 40 years to go live after the site is approved... gonna be tight....

The question of needing to change is valid. Battery cars are not the answer. But they will keep pushing it, like they pushed diesel over petrol for 2 decades before admitting the mistake, simply because they don't have an actual plan that works.

I would be surprised to see more than 30% vehicles on the road in 2040 that don't use an internal combustion engine in some form.

Worcester

"why can't people stop getting ideas above their station and just buy vw sciroccos instead? "

A what...... ...never VW

here

"why can't people stop getting ideas above their station and just buy vw sciroccos instead?

A what...... ...never VW"

Poor mans Audi

salisbury

It sounds like a great way of getting everyone into debt. The banker's revenge on us plebs who dared to laugh. As the champagne socialists spit on the working man and tell us how happy we should be with our lot.

salisbury

"Just read through the thread... solar powered electric roads... can't even afford to fix the potholes in our roads now!

Nuclear power stations 30 to 40 years to go live after the site is approved... gonna be tight....

The question of needing to change is valid. Battery cars are not the answer. But they will keep pushing it, like they pushed diesel over petrol for 2 decades before admitting the mistake, simply because they don't have an actual plan that works.

I would be surprised to see more than 30% vehicles on the road in 2040 that don't use an internal combustion engine in some form."

Strange how diesel became evil once we stopped refining it in the UK.

"It sounds like a great way of getting everyone into debt. The banker's revenge on us plebs who dared to laugh. As the champagne socialists spit on the working man and tell us how happy we should be with our lot. "

While they drive their £150k teslas to work to avoid the congestion charge then jump in their supercharged Range Rover or Porsche on the weekends

Loving the suggestion of maglev, no stopping or changes of direction... should wipe out sufficient levels of population to assist the environment

"Loving the suggestion of maglev, no stopping or changes of direction... should wipe out sufficient levels of population to assist the environment "

For public transport it's a fantastic, viable, if rather expensive solution

West London

Just wondering how many of those who dislike electric cars so much have driven a Tesla S or X.

"Just wondering how many of those who dislike electric cars so much have driven a Tesla S or X."

Had a quick go. They're fucking amazing! But it would take me 20 hours to visit my nieces. So, erm, no.

Worcester

"why can't people stop getting ideas above their station and just buy vw sciroccos instead?

A what...... ...never VW

Poor mans Audi "

A bit like a BMW, Poor man’s Mercedes

Just ask a German.

salisbury

"Just wondering how many of those who dislike electric cars so much have driven a Tesla S or X."

Does the driving experience out weigh the debt? Does it aid with the cost of replacement batteries? Does it feel like the car will last 20 years? Did it feel like you were driving a car of the people, the next model T, or that you were driving an unobtainable dream, reserved for the wealthy?

salisbury

A what...... ...never VW

Poor mans Audi

Just ask a German. "

Feels nice to shit on the poor man doesn't it?

A what...... ...never VW

Poor mans Audi

Just ask a German. "

Better things to spend my money on than a pile of metal junk. I'll take my chances with poor man's cars and be richer elsewhere.

"Just wondering how many of those who dislike electric cars so much have driven a Tesla S or X.

Does the driving experience out weigh the debt? Does it aid with the cost of replacement batteries? Does it feel like the car will last 20 years? Did it feel like you were driving a car of the people, the next model T, or that you were driving an unobtainable dream, reserved for the wealthy? "

does the government give a shit?

West London

"Just wondering how many of those who dislike electric cars so much have driven a Tesla S or X.

Does the driving experience out weigh the debt? Does it aid with the cost of replacement batteries? Does it feel like the car will last 20 years? Did it feel like you were driving a car of the people, the next model T, or that you were driving an unobtainable dream, reserved for the wealthy? "

Just asking. If you haven't driven either just say so.

Any experience of other electric cars?

salisbury

Does the driving experience out weigh the debt? Does it aid with the cost of replacement batteries? Does it feel like the car will last 20 years? Did it feel like you were driving a car of the people, the next model T, or that you were driving an unobtainable dream, reserved for the wealthy?

Any experience of other electric cars?"

Caught a lift in a prius a couple of years ago.

All I know is they should make warning noises for pedestrians when they suddenly spring into action. Fucking lethal things in car parks

" All I know is they should make warning noises for pedestrians when they suddenly spring into action. Fucking lethal things in car parks "

LOOK

listen

Cross

Just saying lol

" All I know is they should make warning noises for pedestrians when they suddenly spring into action. Fucking lethal things in car parks "

just peg some playing cards into the spokes ... job's a good'un

" All I know is they should make warning noises for pedestrians when they suddenly spring into action. Fucking lethal things in car parks

LOOK

listen

Cross

Just saying lol "

Yeah. Kinda falls down at the listen bit though...

West London

Caught a lift in a prius a couple of years ago. "

Good that you have such a strong opinion based on one data point from the last generation of hybrid (not battery electric) technology

" All I know is they should make warning noises for pedestrians when they suddenly spring into action. Fucking lethal things in car parks

LOOK

listen

Cross

Just saying lol

Yeah. Kinda falls down at the listen bit though..."

Indeed. But that's why it's only number two on the list!

However. I do agree with you. They should perhaps introduce some sort of artificial "real car" sound when traveling under 30-40mph where it's more likely pedestrians will be about

salisbury

Good that you have such a strong opinion based on one data point from the last generation of hybrid (not battery electric) technology "

So are you telling me that if i caught a lift in a Tesla my opinions on the debt, the cost of batteries, the longevity etc etc would somehow change because id be dazzled by the performance? I'm not ten.

LOOK

listen

Cross

Just saying lol

Yeah. Kinda falls down at the listen bit though...

Indeed. But that's why it's only number two on the list!

However. I do agree with you. They should perhaps introduce some sort of artificial "real car" sound when traveling under 30-40mph where it's more likely pedestrians will be about "

I can look as best I can but I can't predict when one's gonna move out of it's parking bay. Some people don't care and think pedestrians should wait for them. I do think it's a danger especially when people are used to cars making a noise before they move.

West London

Good that you have such a strong opinion based on one data point from the last generation of hybrid (not battery electric) technology

So are you telling me that if i caught a lift in a Tesla my opinions on the debt, the cost of batteries, the longevity etc etc would somehow change because id be dazzled by the performance? I'm not ten."

You have been ranting on and on about how crap they are and how great IC engines are when you're comparing the first steps of a new technology to the culmination of hundreds of years of fossil fueled engine development.

This technology is moving incredibly fast. In the increasingly urbanised developed world young people aren't even bothering to learn how to drive.

How long did it take for mobile phones to be a brick that irradiated your head to a piece of technology that can find every piece of information (and nonsense) ever created by man?

Do you think that the technology and economics of this will stand still once every motor company is investing the same research budget in battery technology as they have in normal engines?

You're probably right though. It's a conspiracy. Most things are as that's usually the most likely explanation

electric motorbikes for the win

salisbury

So are you telling me that if i caught a lift in a Tesla my opinions on the debt, the cost of batteries, the longevity etc etc would somehow change because id be dazzled by the performance? I'm not ten.

You have been ranting on and on about how crap they are and how great IC engines are when you're comparing the first steps of a new technology to the culmination of hundreds of years of fossil fueled engine development.

This technology is moving incredibly fast. In the increasingly urbanised developed world young people aren't even bothering to learn how to drive.

How long did it take for mobile phones to be a brick that irradiated your head to a piece of technology that can find every piece of information (and nonsense) ever created by man?

Do you think that the technology and economics of this will stand still once every motor company is investing the same research budget in battery technology as they have in normal engines?

You're probably right though. It's a conspiracy. Most things are as that's usually the most likely explanation "

I see where i mentioned my doubts that an electric car would last 20 years. But i can't see any "ranting"? Well not from me anyway.

Out of interest, I just looked up Tesla charging time from standard domestic electric. Model 3 is 20 to 30 hours, model s is 5 to 6 hours. That's going to make trips to Spain quite slow...

They are very expensive for local run abouts. May as well go for an old milk float...

Model 3 Tesla 75 mile commute you would need 2 cars, 1 trip kills battery needs 30 hours after you get home to charge... So you need another car to get to work the next day... something wrong here...

What about police cars that are shared and used 24 / 7 yes they may manage 3 phase 440volt charging but that's still 12 out of 24 hours they can't drive it... So they also need twice as many cars. Other numbers are 1 hour charge for 31 miles that's no more than 15 miles out for a round trip back to the charger... be quicker to walk!!!

If you had asked poor people what sort of transportation they wanted 120 years ago , they would have said faster horses.

"If you had asked poor people what sort of transportation they wanted 120 years ago , they would have said faster horses. "

Very few citizens owned horses 120 years ago, public transport was bad and expensive, so most only went as far as they could walk. I think that will be the true future of transport mobility scooters and busses.

"If you had asked poor people what sort of transportation they wanted 120 years ago , they would have said faster horses.

Very few citizens owned horses 120 years ago, public transport was bad and expensive, so most only went as far as they could walk. I think that will be the true future of transport mobility scooters and busses."

I'm hoping it will hyper loops and FTL spacecraft.Im a bit of a dreamer..

salisbury

"If you had asked poor people what sort of transportation they wanted 120 years ago , they would have said faster horses.

Very few citizens owned horses 120 years ago, public transport was bad and expensive, so most only went as far as they could walk. I think that will be the true future of transport mobility scooters and busses."

The wealthy had personal transport. The poor walked. Looks like history will repeat it's self.