FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > all most a house owner

all most a house owner

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *riskygaz OP   Man  over a year ago

birmingham

Well after years of thinking about it, the perches of my council house is just a couple of weeks away, completion date on the 19th will be about £60 a month better off, I should have done it years ago I would have saved a fortune. so if your in a council house go see the bank and find out how much the mortgage is compared to the rent.

Eww and a block driveway getting started on Monday, it's all go lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple  over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

Congratulations. I was listening the other day to a programme on this.

birmingham

"Congratulations. I was listening the other day to a programme on this. "
wish I had done it 10 years ago, you just get used to paying the rent and don't think about the fact a mortgage might be cheaper.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Don't forget to put money aside for any service charges and for repairs. As the homeowner you will be responsible for these.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Congrats...

Keep your £60 per month as maintenance fund

By *appytrailmanMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Congrats

By *lceeWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Woohoo! Welcome to the club

Though so far this year, we’ve had a leak to the kitchen, a leak in the conservatory, a burst boiler, a toilet that wouldn’t stop running and the sink broke. I think we may have pissed Poseidon off. Save that £60!

Even with that, I wouldn’t change it for the world - knowing that every month I’m closer to it being fully ours is a great feeling!

Congrats OP! My biggest regret is selling my house and coming off the property ladder.

Enjoy your new home!

By *appytrailmanMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"Woohoo! Welcome to the club

Though so far this year, we’ve had a leak to the kitchen, a leak in the conservatory, a burst boiler, a toilet that wouldn’t stop running and the sink broke. I think we may have pissed Poseidon off. Save that £60!

Even with that, I wouldn’t change it for the world - knowing that every month I’m closer to it being fully ours is a great feeling!"

Water nightmare you’re having.....sorry I couldn’t miss the chance of making that bad pun!

Owning a house is great in nearly 4 years we’ve done

New boiler

Built a dormer extension

The plastered everywhere

New drains and gully’s outside

Joists inside fully renewed

New flooring in the living room

Re tiled the kitchen

Decorated everywhere (twice)

Log burner installed

New windows

Yeah it’s great fun

It’s been a real pain but our mortgage is £250 per month and we’ll make a decent profit when we sell it

By *thwiltsmMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Paid off my mortgage June last year, can’t tell you how great that feels.

No mortgage no rent makes a big difference in your life

birmingham

"Woohoo! Welcome to the club

Even with that, I wouldn’t change it for the world - knowing that every month I’m closer to it being fully ours is a great feeling!"

sorry to hear you have had a few problems, but I guess that's why you need to have a few pound set aside for such problems. I am not worried about plumbing problems I am a decent DIY plumber done a fair bit over th years, I am only worried about the roof and the boiler

"Well after years of thinking about it, the perches of my council house is just a couple of weeks away, completion date on the 19th will be about £60 a month better off, I should have done it years ago I would have saved a fortune. so if your in a council house go see the bank and find out how much the mortgage is compared to the rent.

Eww and a block driveway getting started on Monday, it's all go lol"

You're still profiting. Count yourself lucky. Good luck

"Well after years of thinking about it, the perches of my council house is just a couple of weeks away, completion date on the 19th will be about £60 a month better off, I should have done it years ago I would have saved a fortune. so if your in a council house go see the bank and find out how much the mortgage is compared to the rent.

And another social housing property bites the dust!!

Well done you and I bet you got it at a very reduced rate?

It's a shame that when Maggy thatcher came up with this splendid idea she didn't also come up with a long term plan to deal with the lack of social housing it would produce.

Homeless-ness at an all time high due to lack of affordable homes. People in debt due to high private rents.

But hey, it put thousands of people on the property ladder. Made it look like we were a nation of homeowners. Whilst we are busy trying to sweep the homeless under the carpet!

By *estofbothCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

"

It's a shame that when Maggy thatcher came up with this splendid idea she didn't also come up with a long term plan to deal with the lack of social housing it would produce.

Homeless-ness at an all time high due to lack of affordable homes. People in debt due to high private rents.

But hey, it put thousands of people on the property ladder. Made it look like we were a nation of homeowners. Whilst we are busy trying to sweep the homeless under the carpet! "

I don’t begrudge this guy getting himself on the property ladder, but the whole systems in a hell of a state if you ask me. They say you judge a society on how it treats the people at the bottom end of it. I volunteer with the homeless (not as often as I should) and the amount of them that have just fallen out the bottom of the net because there isn’t room for them is unbelievable.

I’ve been lucky and own my properties outright, but I worked for that money and paid what the places were worth. It seems kind of unfair that people who are in a position of needing social housing get these huge discounts so that we as a country can say that x amount of people own their own home. That’s not a sustainable and growing economy, it’s a bandaid that’s going to fall off. I like a look at property auctions occasionally, last few years every other lot seems to be a repossession, people are encouraged to stretch and buy these properties, then their overtime drops off, or the bottom falls out of the boiler and suddenly it’s not so affordable. I don’t know what an average salary and property price would be anymore, but I’d say those two figures are nowhere near as close as they were 20 years ago.

Mortgages to the hilt

Most my adult life I have been paying a mortgage, and will be until I retire

By *atietvsheffTV/TS  over a year ago

Sheffield

Discount on the actual open market value of the house is paid for by us the tax payers whethers it’s local auth or central taxation the tax payer subsidies local authority housing when it is sold to tenants, that also means one less social house that can be used for people who are not able to get a deposit or buy a house in the private sector thus adding to the housing crisis and more homelessness for the vulnerable in our society. The proceeds of the house sale will not cover the cost of a new build to replace the one now no longer available for social housing so the local authority end up borrowing more which we as council tax payers end up paying for in order to have money to build replacement social housing. Can anyone who first moved into local authority social housing remember that feeling of thank god we have somewhere to live when the council gave them the tenancy? That wonderful feeling of safety, security and permanence is now not going to happen to someone whose circumstances mean they can only get local authority accommodation because another house is no longer available for rent, desperate families could possibly end up in B&B’s, sofa hopping,or sleeping rough. If people can get mortgages because their finances allow them but in the private sector and leave social housing available for people who really need it,desperate families looking for Home to bring up their children.

By *estofbothCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

"Discount on the actual open market value of the house is paid for by us the tax payers whethers it’s local auth or central taxation the tax payer subsidies local authority housing when it is sold to tenants, that also means one less social house that can be used for people who are not able to get a deposit or buy a house in the private sector thus adding to the housing crisis and more homelessness for the vulnerable in our society. The proceeds of the house sale will not cover the cost of a new build to replace the one now no longer available for social housing so the local authority end up borrowing more which we as council tax payers end up paying for in order to have money to build replacement social housing. Can anyone who first moved into local authority social housing remember that feeling of thank god we have somewhere to live when the council gave them the tenancy? That wonderful feeling of safety, security and permanence is now not going to happen to someone whose circumstances mean they can only get local authority accommodation because another house is no longer available for rent, desperate families could possibly end up in B&B’s, sofa hopping,or sleeping rough. If people can get mortgages because their finances allow them but in the private sector and leave social housing available for people who really need it,desperate families looking for Home to bring up their children."

Well said Katie. Also big respect for articulating a point so eloquently at 8 am on a Saturday morning.

"

But hey, it put thousands of people on the property ladder. Made it look like we were a nation of homeowners. Whilst we are busy trying to sweep the homeless under the carpet!

I don’t begrudge this guy getting himself on the property ladder, but the whole systems in a hell of a state if you ask me. They say you judge a society on how it treats the people at the bottom end of it. I volunteer with the homeless (not as often as I should) and the amount of them that have just fallen out the bottom of the net because there isn’t room for them is unbelievable.

I’ve been lucky and own my properties outright, but I worked for that money and paid what the places were worth. It seems kind of unfair that people who are in a position of needing social housing get these huge discounts so that we as a country can say that x amount of people own their own home. That’s not a sustainable and growing economy, it’s a bandaid that’s going to fall off. I like a look at property auctions occasionally, last few years every other lot seems to be a repossession, people are encouraged to stretch and buy these properties, then their overtime drops off, or the bottom falls out of the boiler and suddenly it’s not so affordable. I don’t know what an average salary and property price would be anymore, but I’d say those two figures are nowhere near as close as they were 20 years ago. "

I also don't begrudge him this opportunity. He's just taking advantage of a scheme that is available to him, which is why I said well done.

My mum did the same. But 15 years later she was subject to a compulsory purchase order which saw her basically get what she paid for it, not the market value. She is now 70 and living in private rented accommodation with benefit top up to pay the rent! All the money they got has paid for rent because they were too old to use the money they got as a deposit and get a mortgage.

The whole system has been flawed since the beginning. It was also a way for local authorities to get rid of properties so they no longer had the upkeep. Reduced funding by central government.

But hey, it put thousands of people on the property ladder. Made it look like we were a nation of homeowners. Whilst we are busy trying to sweep the homeless under the carpet! "

OP that’s great news. The whole system needs reviewing though, someone can be on housing benefit their entire tenancy, put in to buy their property. A family member can fund the purchase and the tenant applying gets the whole discount. So the tax payer funded the benefit then funds the discount. That in my eyes is completely wrong. They should have found a way to close this loop hole.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

".....will be about £60 a month better off....."

Good luck with that- welcome to the world of money pit ownership

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

It's great owning your own home,just a bitch when it need's repairs

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

Best thing my late husband and I did.. Paid pennies for it.. Im now mortgage free and enjoying it... Kaz

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

. Well done on purchasing your property a property you know very well.You now have something that is yours to enjoy and do up as you want.They say you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar with regards to cash savings or making a profit when the time is right for you.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

OP that’s great news. The whole system needs reviewing though, someone can be on housing benefit their entire tenancy, put in to buy their property. A family member can fund the purchase and the tenant applying gets the whole discount. So the tax payer funded the benefit then funds the discount. That in my eyes is completely wrong. They should have found a way to close this loop hole. "

Couldn't agree more

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Congrats on the purchase OP

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Tamworth

That's really exciting - bet you can't wait till the day you stand there and think - this is all mine (oh fuck what have I done... )

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I have 4 almost time yo sell up and enjoy life before it's over

"It's great owning your own home,just a bitch when it need's repairs "

This is partly why i'm a little bit glad i sold mine. Despite regretting that i did. I just couldn't afford the upkeep on my own anymore.

I'm conflicted!!

» Add a new message to this topic