FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Advice from mechanics please....

Advice from mechanics please....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *risky_Mare OP   Woman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I want to get quotes from a couple of garages to compare, I know I will need some brakes doing shortly, but I also have some pot hole damage - in front and behind I think.

Just wondering what that might be to get an idea of cost - eg that scroinging noise behind when you go over a sleeping policeman, is that shock absorbers bust, I know I've heard it before in other cars?

I have also heard a bit of a clunk in front - eg reversing out my parking spot on full lock, at the end of the manoeuvre, what on earth could that be? I broke a spring on the front once and that made a far bigger noise but at the same kind of time, reversing out on full lock.

I think I'm gonna have a hefty bill.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not sure how far mordor is from Southampton but I can recommend the most honest garage I've ever found if close couple of older guys been there for years

Breaks should be cheap depending if you just need pads or discs as well same as suspension

But also depends on the car itself

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

What a shame you life so far away from me. I could have done all the work for you and you could have paid in kind as I do accept that. Lol

Front end noise could be track rod ends or upper and lower ball joints. Possible broken spring but if it rattles going over bumps most likely ball joints. Brakes looking at possible discs replacement if lucky only brake pads.

...Up on the Downs

"Not sure how far mordor is from Southampton but I can recommend the most honest garage I've ever found if close couple of older guys been there for years

Breaks should be cheap depending if you just need pads or discs as well same as suspension

But also depends on the car itself "

It's a fairly new Ford Fiesta - I do have a pretty honest little garage really nearby, it's only been to the Ford dealer for servicing so far in it's life, so just wanted to compare a few prices before deciding which. Sometimes the main dealer can be quicker and therefore cheaper on labour, but they charge so much for parts.

...Up on the Downs

"What a shame you life so far away from me. I could have done all the work for you and you could have paid in kind as I do accept that. Lol

Front end noise could be track rod ends or upper and lower ball joints. Possible broken spring but if it rattles going over bumps most likely ball joints. Brakes looking at possible discs replacement if lucky only brake pads."

Discs and pads unfortunately lol, and no rattle in front, just the occasional small clunk on full lock.

"I want to get quotes from a couple of garages to compare, I know I will need some brakes doing shortly, but I also have some pot hole damage - in front and behind I think.

Just wondering what that might be to get an idea of cost - eg that scroinging noise behind when you go over a sleeping policeman, is that shock absorbers bust, I know I've heard it before in other cars?

I have also heard a bit of a clunk in front - eg reversing out my parking spot on full lock, at the end of the manoeuvre, what on earth could that be? I broke a spring on the front once and that made a far bigger noise but at the same kind of time, reversing out on full lock.

I think I'm gonna have a hefty bill. "

maybe the rubber bushes on your exhaust need renewing ,the brakes front and back depending whether they are discs are reasonably cheap to buy pads and pretty straight forward to repair on modern cars but in a garage they're probably going to charge £300

The noise on the front could well be the drop arm for the anti-roll bar.

I’m not ever sure where you are but if your local I could have a look.

Pm me if you like

» Add a new message to this topic