FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Labelling People - Social Media

Labelling People - Social Media

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has social media, dating sites etc increased the categorising or labelling of people?

Has labelling become a necessity for efficient internet based social interaction?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Labels are for jam

"Labels are for jam"

That's marmaladist! You should be politically correct and say 'labels are for preserves'.

"Labels are for jam

That's marmaladist! You should be politically correct and say 'labels are for preserves'. "

I stand corrected snowflake

What sort of labels do you mean?

(OP, not jam-related, obvs...)

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No, I don't think so. Having grown up before social media when labelling was rife and extremely unkind I just think it's more noticeable.

Humans like to put people and things in boxes.

I like to break those boxes so I’m not buried alive in one

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Humans like to put people and things in boxes.

I like to break those boxes so I’m not buried alive in one"

They do don't they. A small example that happens to us often and happened again just this morning. Young people see our age and ask us "can you use the internet and do you know how to send an email?"

We've started to reply "yes, what would you like to know?"

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Social media tagging is used to drive labelled traffic to those labels.

When I have time I'll try and find the articles on it. Look up an article on finding out about what 'they' know about you and push to you based on your Tinder profile.

Are these self adhesive labels or do they need licking

Age, sexual orientation even body shape!

We 'know' so much about people before we interact with them, but do we really?

I've met 50 year olds who would easily pass for early 30's.

"Labels are for jam

That's marmaladist! You should be politically correct and say 'labels are for preserves'.

I stand corrected snowflake "

"No, I don't think so. Having grown up before social media when labelling was rife and extremely unkind I just think it's more noticeable."

I'd agree with this before social media was rife you had just as many people who would knowing or unknowingly seek to put people in certain categories. I think it's something that we all do to an extent it's just some or more conscious of it then others and make more of an effort to not do so.

All social media has done has given a voice and platform to people who would of previously kept some of their narrow ideas and labels to themselves.

The world has undoubtedly become a lot more tolerant and open minded. But for the foreseeable future there will always be those who want to apply very narrow and unfair labels to other people.

If I met Helen Mirren or Michelle Pfeiffer in real life their age would not concern me, but I wouldn't do a search for their age group on a dating site. I know thats ageist.

My point is that the Internet is driving this categorisation more because we dont see the bigger picture.

"Social media tagging is used to drive labelled traffic to those labels.

When I have time I'll try and find the articles on it. Look up an article on finding out about what 'they' know about you and push to you based on your Tinder profile.

"

Here's the Tinder article: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/26/tinder-personal-data-dating-app-messages-hacked-sold

I'm not happy posting this particular link but it's the one that is Fab acceptable: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4984470/How-online-dating-changing-societies.html

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Dating sites etc need labels to function otherwise it's "here's 23,000 profiles...good luck". In the real world you see, hear and meet people every day...we don't need labels in real life.

"Dating sites etc need labels to function otherwise it's "here's 23,000 profiles...good luck". In the real world you see, hear and meet people every day...we don't need labels in real life."

Yet we give them to people. Think about how you think/talk about any individual from a group, especially if two have the same first name.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"If I met Helen Mirren or Michelle Pfeiffer in real life their age would not concern me, but I wouldn't do a search for their age group on a dating site. I know thats ageist.

My point is that the Internet is driving this categorisation more because we dont see the bigger picture. "

I don't think you see the bigger person in real life. You see a gender, an age and a social status.

The internet makes it more possible for you to know a person without labelling them because in many cases you can't see them. Therefore you're less likely to make assumptions or attach labels based on age, wealth, style of dress, accent etc

In my opinion.

"If I met Helen Mirren or Michelle Pfeiffer in real life their age would not concern me, but I wouldn't do a search for their age group on a dating site. I know thats ageist.

My point is that the Internet is driving this categorisation more because we dont see the bigger picture.

I don't think you see the bigger person in real life. You see a gender, an age and a social status.

The internet makes it more possible for you to know a person without labelling them because in many cases you can't see them. Therefore you're less likely to make assumptions or attach labels based on age, wealth, style of dress, accent etc

In my opinion."

Fair point. I would suggest though that the Internet does the pre labelling.

Everything has and needs a label, the world would not function otherwise, it's how we communicate.

Yes it may be easier to label people now because a new platform exists to do so, social media.

There is nothing wrong with this unless a person feels they have been labelled incorrectly or is hiding behind a label to deceive others.

The more things we can correctly label the greater knowledge base we have and we should therefore be able to communicate better.

"Social media tagging is used to drive labelled traffic to those labels.

Here's the Tinder article: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/26/tinder-personal-data-dating-app-messages-hacked-sold

I'm not happy posting this particular link but it's the one that is Fab acceptable: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4984470/How-online-dating-changing-societies.html

"

Thank you, they were very interesting reads.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

In my opinion.

Fair point. I would suggest though that the Internet does the pre labelling. "

As in the people using the internet?

every single one of us "labels" all the time - it's innate in humans. Now, reading some comments on the forums, it's clear the aliens have landed.

In my opinion.

As in the people using the internet?"

People using sites like this have to categorise themselves when they register. It's the norm now for most sites to do this to some degree. The internet is becoming dependant on this to pair people and groups.

Im not saying it's a bad thing, it's an observation.

When we walk into a pub we may see or get talking to someone we develop an attraction for because initially they might not be 'our type' but the bigger picture is more that the sum of its parts.

That is less likely online, in my opinion.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

In my opinion.

People using sites like this have to categorise themselves when they register. It's the norm now for most sites to do this to some degree. The internet is becoming dependant on this to pair people and groups.

When we walk into a pub we may see or get talking to someone we develop an attraction for because initially they might not be 'our type' but the bigger picture is more that the sum of its parts.

That is less likely online, in my opinion."

I understand. My experience is that I'm more likely to go out of "my type" on the internet. That doesn't mean I represent the majority though .

In my opinion.

I understand. My experience is that I'm more likely to go out of "my type" on the internet. That doesn't mean I represent the majority though ."

It's harder to go out of 'your type' if the internet increasingly restricts those options. If you're outside of someones age range on here then you don't appear on their searches.

I'm not saying it isn't better for efficiency, but have we lost something?

By *odramamaleMan  over a year ago

near

When are the mouth breathers going to realise facebook if as just as moronic as football. People are on it for two reasons to slag and to brag.

Its like millions of people talking utter shite at the same time and no cunt listening.

Bean bags.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

In my opinion.

I understand. My experience is that I'm more likely to go out of "my type" on the internet. That doesn't mean I represent the majority though .

It's harder to go out of 'your type' if the internet increasingly restricts those options. If you're outside of someones age range on here then you don't appear on their searches.

I'm not saying it isn't better for efficiency, but have we lost something?"

Hmm, food for thought.

This is my experience only and obviously as a married woman I'm not on any dating sites (maybe not obviously lol). When we joined here my partner said "you can have anything you want" and encouraged me to look outside of my normal type and comfort zone and the internet and categories facilitated that because it was easier for us to look at e.g. younger men, different preferences etc easily.

So I suppose its a double edged sword. In some respects we've lost something but in others people like me have possibly gained.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

visiting the beach

"When are the mouth breathers going to realise facebook if as just as moronic as football. People are on it for two reasons to slag and to brag.

Its like millions of people talking utter shite at the same time and no cunt listening.

Bean bags.

"

Possibly more moronic to lump 2.2 billion people together, and label them all the same...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"When are the mouth breathers going to realise facebook if as just as moronic as football. People are on it for two reasons to slag and to brag.

Bean bags."

I'm on Facebook. I use it to keep in touch will my family who are scattered around the world.

Do you have an account?

near

2.2 billion morons.

near

Bean bags.

I'm on Facebook. I use it to keep in touch will my family who are scattered around the world.

Do you have an account?"

no im not because its for stupid heads and i see people in real life. Not just letters on a screen.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Bean bags.

Do you have an account?no im not because its for stupid heads and i see people in real life. Not just letters on a screen."

It's interesting that you know so much about it.

Unfortunately I can't see my relatives in the far east and Europe in real life so letters on a screen are a good way to communicate.

It's about quantity. Once upon a time I lived in a 2 room flat, my loose screws were in the third drawer down in the kitchen, there was about 12 of them.

Now I have my workshop there are over 5000 screws, all different sizes and types. They need to be put in boxes and labelled.

Same goes with the internet. There are so many people they can't all be kept in the third drawer down any more.

The trick is to know when a 42mm size 6 will be just as capable as a 40mm size 8.

As for tinder profiles, never been on it and I still get daily emails from Nadia or one of her Russian friends....

Bean bags.

Do you have an account?no im not because its for stupid heads and i see people in real life. Not just letters on a screen."

I'm not on it but I do understand how it has kept families in touch with each other. When my mother died all it took was telling one cousin and we were saved having to phone everyone in Canada, the US, bits of Europe and the Caribbean.

There is no need to be rude to someone telling you they use it to keep in touch with their family and calling them morons.

Bean bags.

. You remind me of a 4 year old

"Stupid head"

I use face book not because I'm a "Stupid head" (fucking hell I can't even type that without laughing!!... I'm getting images of that Haribo advert ) but because it's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends I can't easily see in real life. I don't have any friends on there that brag and talk shite. That isn't what it is all about for everyone. Just to put a different perspective.

"It's about quantity. Once upon a time I lived in a 2 room flat, my loose screws were in the third drawer down in the kitchen, there was about 12 of them.

Now I have my workshop there are over 5000 screws, all different sizes and types. They need to be put in boxes and labelled.

Same goes with the internet. There are so many people they can't all be kept in the third drawer down any more.

The trick is to know when a 42mm size 6 will be just as capable as a 40mm size 8.

As for tinder profiles, never been on it and I still get daily emails from Nadia or one of her Russian friends...."

Read the articles I posted and see how the algorithms decide that you can't try a 40mm size 8 if you've been choosing 42mm size 6. (Your screws sound like they operate like bra sizes - up a back and down a cup or vice versa.)

"Read the articles I posted and see how the algorithms decide that you can't try a 40mm size 8 if you've been choosing 42mm size 6. (Your screws sound like they operate like bra sizes - up a back and down a cup or vice versa.)

"

I will have a read, as for my screw collection, I have a multitude of loose screws of which I am quite proud, though of course most projects I am 1 screw short for and now I mention them, I am missing them... won't be making any sawdust for a month

Still will be off to the north west coast tomorrow for the weekend, and giants causeway next weekend. Going to be good

"Read the articles I posted and see how the algorithms decide that you can't try a 40mm size 8 if you've been choosing 42mm size 6. (Your screws sound like they operate like bra sizes - up a back and down a cup or vice versa.)

I will have a read, as for my screw collection, I have a multitude of loose screws of which I am quite proud, though of course most projects I am 1 screw short for and now I mention them, I am missing them... won't be making any sawdust for a month

Still will be off to the north west coast tomorrow for the weekend, and giants causeway next weekend. Going to be good "

I have such good memories of the Giant's Causeway but also cocktails at the Merchant Hotel in Belfast. I'd love to go back and spend a night there.

Have fun.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I've removed posts. If you quoted them your post will be gone too.

"

Read the articles I posted and see how the algorithms decide that you can't try a 40mm size 8 if you've been choosing 42mm size 6. (Your screws sound like they operate like bra sizes - up a back and down a cup or vice versa.)

"

The articles are a very interesting read.

"Has social media, dating sites etc increased the categorising or labelling of people?

Has labelling become a necessity for efficient internet based social interaction?"

yes people unfortunately like to label everything you're a dom you're a sub you are a unicorn etc sex is sex and great sex is a meeting of minds come put your mind with mine and let's have some

The police call it pigeonholing ,nothing like looking at a scruffy person and going hmmmm homeless ,or that lad in a hoody driving a range rover hes a gangster ,yet the rr driver could be a footballer and the scruff a student who spent all his dough on ket

"The police call it pigeonholing ,nothing like looking at a scruffy person and going hmmmm homeless ,or that lad in a hoody driving a range rover hes a gangster ,yet the rr driver could be a footballer and the scruff a student who spent all his dough on ket "

The examples you've given are when you make assumptions or label. I'm suggesting that the internet increasingly does this labelling for you.

» Add a new message to this topic