FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Time to Talk Day 2018

Time to Talk Day 2018

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's Time to Change Time to Talk Day.

Set up to encourage people to talk about their mental health. It's hard to find help if no one knows you need it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

*Bump*

Good advice, OP.

By *sRedbbwWoman  over a year ago

Amwythig

Yes keep talking! Especially men, just ask your mate if he's really ok.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

It's good to talk!!

"Yes keep talking! Especially men, just ask your mate if he's really ok. "

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Yes keep talking! Especially men, just ask your mate if he's really ok. "

This..

If anyone feels they need to talk but doesn't have anyone to talk to, for whatever reason, then contact the Samaritans. They have a text service if you don't want to speak.

I'll post later with some well-being tips,or you could do that and get a conversation going here.

Time to Change Time to Talk Day falls well for me this year, I will be seeing my therapist in a short while. I don't often freely admit that I see someone.

It took me a long time to seek help but I'm glad I did. I still find it difficult at times to open up but it's something I'm getting better at, the support that people have given me has been amazing, in my real life, and on here I've found people who are sometimes just willing to just listen.

Like I say, I don't open up alot so me writing this on an open forum is quite a big step for me. It can be so difficult to take that first step but it's worth it.

"Time to Change Time to Talk Day falls well for me this year, I will be seeing my therapist in a short while. I don't often freely admit that I see someone.

It took me a long time to seek help but I'm glad I did. I still find it difficult at times to open up but it's something I'm getting better at, the support that people have given me has been amazing, in my real life, and on here I've found people who are sometimes just willing to just listen.

Like I say, I don't open up alot so me writing this on an open forum is quite a big step for me. It can be so difficult to take that first step but it's worth it. "

Well done

in Lancashire

"Time to Change Time to Talk Day falls well for me this year, I will be seeing my therapist in a short while. I don't often freely admit that I see someone.

Like I say, I don't open up alot so me writing this on an open forum is quite a big step for me. It can be so difficult to take that first step but it's worth it. "

Respect for doing so..

Have sought professional help when mum died, felt a bit strange opening up but was helpful in getting my head around it at the time..

Have stood at more than one grave side of strong men who ended up taking their own life rather than seek help..

As males we are not the best in discussing certain things and it's long overdue that it changed..

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Here Here . I got into trouble a few years back because I bottled things up too much. Over 75% of suicides are men . So talk !!

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

The strongest of people will also find it hard to seek advice or help...just because they’re seen by others as being the strong ones...

I have noticed the change in you since you started to talk. It has been good see.

Like everything, life will throw us the odd odd moment but knowing you can talk about it and share that can help. Not always but more often than not.

Enjoy therapy and know that my ear is always open to you.

"The strongest of people will also find it hard to seek advice or help...just because they’re seen by others as being the strong ones..."

And yet, the greatest strength is needed to open up and make oneself potentially vulnerable.

Like asking for directions, opening up takes a little bit of courage, a little bit of putting aside ego and a bit of understanding that one needs help.

"Here Here . I got into trouble a few years back because I bottled things up too much. Over 75% of suicides are men . So talk !!"

Men, look up CALM (the Campaign Against Living Miserably) for their #BestManProject for tips on how to be a better friend to your male mates and how to look after yourself.

They were set up by men for men and have a dedicated helpline/webchat for men.

Here's the link to the Five Ways to Wellbeing: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/five-ways-to-mental-wellbeing

It's been around for a while but life can get in the way and we forget to look after ourselves:

Connect

Be active

Take notice

Keep learning

Give

Excellent thread lickety, anything that encourages people to discuss mental health openly is very worthwhile

It is very good to talk and it becomes easier the more you do it.

That first step to open up and start talking is a tough one but it is worthwhile

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

I know how much strain the NHS is under with fixing us physically, but I’m amazed how under resourced they are for mental health.

I’m on a waiting list that’s so long I could have got an appointment with his holiness the Pope quicker.

"I know how much strain the NHS is under with fixing us physically, but I’m amazed how under resourced they are for mental health.

I’m on a waiting list that’s so long I could have got an appointment with his holiness the Pope quicker."

Hang in there. Use whatever you can in the meantime. MH is the Cinderella service of the NHS.

Around this time 6 years, just before Lickety came into being, I had to put myself to sleep to stop myself from ending it all.

It took nearly two months to get the initial assessment. I was assessed as being high risk and complex which meant I couldn't be seen by anyone for 6 months.

I was *advised* to return if I had another suicide attempt as I would be seen sooner but I would also be sectioned in order to get treatment sooner.

This forum saved me. Lickety was created and after a rocky start I found kindness and compassion, fun and friends on this forum.

When I was seen for a full four week assessment it was brilliant. I was assigned an a new therapist, filmed and 'seen' in that way by other therapists. I had weekly sessions for seven months that began my process of change. I then paid (a lot, it's London) for a very experienced therapist for over 2 years.

Like I say, I don't open up alot so me writing this on an open forum is quite a big step for me. It can be so difficult to take that first step but it's worth it.

Respect for doing so..

Have sought professional help when mum died, felt a bit strange opening up but was helpful in getting my head around it at the time..

Have stood at more than one grave side of strong men who ended up taking their own life rather than seek help..

As males we are not the best in discussing certain things and it's long overdue that it changed.. "

It's funny that one of the hardest parts was telling my friends. Presenting myself as vulnerable to the lads really wasn't easy. But they were great and they've been really supportive. And why wouldn't they be? They are my friends for a reason, they love me and want to see me doing well.

I have noticed the change in you since you started to talk. It has been good see.

Like everything, life will throw us the odd odd moment but knowing you can talk about it and share that can help. Not always but more often than not.

Enjoy therapy and know that my ear is always open to you.

"

I took the chance to do some mental health courses at work and be a point of contact if anyone feels they need it.

I’m by no means a therapist and wouldn’t try to be. But an open pair of ears and a none judgmental approach is all I need.

Statistically being a young guy I’m most likely to die through suicide.

I’d urge anyone to put “young men death statistics” into google. The top of the page search result takes you to a website that you can alter age brackets on.

Put 20-34 in......the results are fucking awful.

There’s a huge amount of support available in our region, and more and more guys are taking part thankfully.

"I took the chance to do some mental health courses at work and be a point of contact if anyone feels they need it.

I’m by no means a therapist and wouldn’t try to be. But an open pair of ears and a none judgmental approach is all I need.

Statistically being a young guy I’m most likely to die through suicide.

I’d urge anyone to put “young men death statistics” into google. The top of the page search result takes you to a website that you can alter age brackets on.

Put 20-34 in......the results are fucking awful.

There’s a huge amount of support available in our region, and more and more guys are taking part thankfully."

I have been urging companies to have more people trained as MH First Aiders over the last year. Just talking about doing has raised awareness.

The methods men use also means their attempts at suicide are more successful.

in Lancashire

Respect for doing so..

As males we are not the best in discussing certain things and it's long overdue that it changed..

It's funny that one of the hardest parts was telling my friends. Presenting myself as vulnerable to the lads really wasn't easy. But they were great and they've been really supportive. And why wouldn't they be? They are my friends for a reason, they love me and want to see me doing well. "

Great to have that level of support, being ex military and blue light services I've seen both sides where people have not felt able to and some who have opened up to a close circle and the latter is far preferable for all..

And its the bravery of guys that do that can enable others to do likewise so I salute you sir..

I'm bumping this for the night crew and those in need of someone to speak to in the middle of the night.

I've read every single comment on this thread and just want to say it’s one of the best threads that's been posted in these forums since I joined....

What a truly wonderful thread. I lost a very close relative to suicide in June. So this subject is very close to my heart. It's definitely important to be able to talk about mental health issues and to be sensitive to a persons need at that time. So many lives would be spared if they were able to confide and have that support system to help them heal.

By *rsTrellisWoman  over a year ago

Cambridge

What a great thread.

The Samaritans are fantastic. You don’t even have to speak. You can just call and know they’re there.

The Samaritans phone number is 116 123. They're available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

"The Samaritans phone number is 116 123. They're available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year."

By *icearmsMan  over a year ago

KIDLINGTON

This is something very close to my heart so thank you for the thread... I have lost someone close due to mental health and unfortunately I have also suffered massively with it myself.

It has changed me from the person I used to be and at one point when I hit the lowest of lies I was unsuccessful at ending it. Now I reflect on it and see it as a positive that I was meant to beat this horrible illness.

I still have days where I'm not the funny confident guy my mates know me as (Some on here will have seen that first hand). I still have my wobbles and still have horrible days where I feel useless. But they are days when I can identify and get out and do something to break it. I always have my running hear with me when staying away in case I need to bolt for a while..

It's a constant journey for everyone with mental health issues.. but please remember every day makes you stronger..

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"This is something very close to my heart so thank you for the thread... I have lost someone close due to mental health and unfortunately I have also suffered massively with it myself.

It has changed me from the person I used to be and at one point when I hit the lowest of lies I was unsuccessful at ending it. Now I reflect on it and see it as a positive that I was meant to beat this horrible illness.

I still have days where I'm not the funny confident guy my mates know me as (Some on here will have seen that first hand). I still have my wobbles and still have horrible days where I feel useless. But they are days when I can identify and get out and do something to break it. I always have my running hear with me when staying away in case I need to bolt for a while..

It's a constant journey for everyone with mental health issues.. but please remember every day makes you stronger.."

I discoved I had mental health problems when I went to the doctors to get help for my daughter who was suffering from PTSD. It came as a huge shock!

Her treatment was hard going and I needed support too in order to help her.

Sadly as soon as my daughter turned 18 she was discharged by CAMS . Her treatment was far from over but because she "became an adult" she could no longer be seen by them!

The mental health services in this country is diabolical. As a sufferer (for want of a better word) and the parent of one too, it's not easy. No support, just a prescription and a leaflet!!!

I left the Army through redundancy a few years back and I’ve got ptsd from my time and have issues that also show as depression and anxiety.

Im wracked with self doubt see myself as a fat loser sometimes.

One day I feel great and one day I’m in the darkest hole.

I use running as my escape to clear the stress and strains.

Love the support mentalhealth is finally been given. I’m doing the great south run in October may run for mind.

Give a little bit back we’re I can.

I hope I can act as a inspiration and a good ear for anyone going through bad stuff.

Remember life will knock you down but it can’t keep you there. As long as you land on your back you can get up.

I never got to meet my biological father. He was absent as a child, not through his choice. As an adult I decided to trace him, only to find out he had took his own life a few years previously. It makes me feel sad and angry. I wish he had talked to someone, our lives might have been very different.

I don't think I have mental health issues but, I still have low points and problems in my life. I'm quite open and don't feel embarrassed talking about them. When I have discussed things with friends that I have always considered to be strong and happy people it's often surprised me. It's encouraged them to open up and, it's surprising what some of them are hiding and holding on to.

Even if you don't have mental health issues your self...it is good to talk! They are your friends, let them know in what ever way you can that you are there for them. You may have to give a little of yourself to get something back from them but that's not so tuff is it. It's about time we got rid of this macho shit and embarrassment about our emotions. It would save lives.

"I discoved I had mental health problems when I went to the doctors to get help for my daughter who was suffering from PTSD. It came as a huge shock!

Her treatment was hard going and I needed support too in order to help her.

Sadly as soon as my daughter turned 18 she was discharged by CAMS . Her treatment was far from over but because she "became an adult" she could no longer be seen by them!

The mental health services in this country is diabolical. As a sufferer (for want of a better word) and the parent of one too, it's not easy. No support, just a prescription and a leaflet!!! "

That transition period between CAMHS and adult services such as IAPT is particularly bad. There were various pilots across the country trying to address the need for continuity and a managed transition but I think a lot of them have been lost with the latest scheme to divert the NHS from basic delivery (the STP).

It is always worth asking for a managed transition and pointing out the additional costs of a remission.

» Add a new message to this topic