FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What is the world coming to, part (erm, i've lost count)

What is the world coming to, part (erm, i've lost count)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A bin man slips on the ice and bumps his head during his round and has to go to A+E. The local council then see fit to suspend all bin collections until further notice urging people to take their bins back indoors.

Obviously this is an unfortunate event and i feel for the guy who's going to have a headache for a while, but really? What an incredible overreaction on the part of the council.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Where was this?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Agreed seems an over reaction but circumstances like this are an attraction for people making injury claims some of which are false. Probably the council just trying to protect their finances a little.

Cheltenham. Not only have residents (many of whom will be elderly) had to struggle in the ice and cold to put their bins out they now have to risk life and limb taking them back in again. Surely this is nothing more than occupational hazard, learn from it and carry on ffs.

Oh for gods sake... What a load of tosh... Nanny state strikes again... Yaaaaaawn

Councils if nothing else are good for overreacting

evesham

"Cheltenham. Not only have residents (many of whom will be elderly) had to struggle in the ice and cold to put their bins out they now have to risk life and limb taking them back in again. Surely this is nothing more than occupational hazard, learn from it and carry on ffs."

And while they learn from it they should just carry in as normal, risking their employees health in the mean time? Investigations and remedial actions take time to complete.

I do think it's ridiculous that the council don't have a cold weather strategy for jobs like this. It is a foreseeable risk that bin men have to work in cold weather.

I'm off to find a link to the story. No doubt health and safety is the scape goat rather than simple bad management of a situation.

evesham

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/its-dangerous-out-there-bin-983997

So stopped for a day by the contractor and plans in place to allow people to put out extra rubbish in the coming collections.

The guy who went to hospital hadn't even started his round before he slipped. I'd wager incorrect footwear for a start.

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

"Councils if nothing else are good for overreacting "

And the reason? Because for too long too many arseholes have been launching claims against them - some genuine, some bogus.

It's usually the people who rage about 'Elf and Safety gorn maaaad!' who are the first to reach for the no-win no-fee solicitors at the first sign of a trip or stubbed toe. These are the people we should be raging against.

"Councils if nothing else are good for overreacting

And the reason? Because for too long too many arseholes have been launching claims against them - some genuine, some bogus.

It's usually the people who rage about 'Elf and Safety gorn maaaad!' who are the first to reach for the no-win no-fee solicitors at the first sign of a trip or stubbed toe. These are the people we should be raging against."

I am one of those people you mention and i've suffered far worse inuries in my working life than a bumped head. I've never made a claim against anyone nor have i stopped working as a result.

The only thing that needs to be learnt in this instance is that people should watch where they put their feet and the only cold weather strategy necessary.

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Sounds like sumthing Thanet council wood do......

evesham

Unless you were this man's actual doctor you have no idea what the injury sustained was. OK it wasn't a fatality but you are making out like it was just some bruise or something.

This is why I hate journalism like this. Reporting half stories just to fill column inches. Gives people free reign to fill in the blanks.

If you would not walk in certain areas because of ice, why do you expect others to do so? Yes its their job to collect rubbish but I would say it's not an essential service and stopping for ONE Day is not a major inconvenience.

If you were a bin man I'd be fairly safe in saying you wouldn't have posted this thread (of course, now you will say if you were a bin man you'd get through no matter the conditions. The rubbish must be collected at all costs!)

By *av.x.69Man  over a year ago

Callington/Liskeard

".....people should watch where they put their feet .... "

Mmmm I always end up putting my foot in holes they don’t belong in LMAO !

"Unless you were this man's actual doctor you have no idea what the injury sustained was. OK it wasn't a fatality but you are making out like it was just some bruise or something.

This is why I hate journalism like this. Reporting half stories just to fill column inches. Gives people free reign to fill in the blanks.

If you would not walk in certain areas because of ice, why do you expect others to do so? Yes its their job to collect rubbish but I would say it's not an essential service and stopping for ONE Day is not a major inconvenience.

If you were a bin man I'd be fairly safe in saying you wouldn't have posted this thread (of course, now you will say if you were a bin man you'd get through no matter the conditions. The rubbish must be collected at all costs!) "

The severity of the injury sustained is not the point. The point of this post is that the council sees fit to suspend all collections as a result which i see as an intense overreaction. As the title says....

evesham

"Unless you were this man's actual doctor you have no idea what the injury sustained was. OK it wasn't a fatality but you are making out like it was just some bruise or something.

If you were a bin man I'd be fairly safe in saying you wouldn't have posted this thread (of course, now you will say if you were a bin man you'd get through no matter the conditions. The rubbish must be collected at all costs!)

The severity of the injury sustained is not the point. The point of this post is that the council sees fit to suspend all collections as a result which i see as an intense overreaction. As the title says...."

Except it was the contractor that suspended collection, not the council. An overreaction perhaps but as I said, it was for one day, not a protracted length if time.

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Every work wear book we get at work all have ice grips in them that just slip onto your existing boots. They work a treat,may be the said contractor should invest in some.

It's the 'where there's blame/pain there's a claim' society that we live in nowadays.

It's sad and pathetic, nothing is ever a genuine accident these days.

The severity of the injury sustained is not the point. The point of this post is that the council sees fit to suspend all collections as a result which i see as an intense overreaction. As the title says...."

Total overreaction.

By *icky-discoMan  over a year ago

oxford

"A bin man slips on the ice and bumps his head during his round and has to go to A+E. The local council then see fit to suspend all bin collections until further notice urging people to take their bins back indoors.

Obviously this is an unfortunate event and i feel for the guy who's going to have a headache for a while, but really? What an incredible overreaction on the part of the council. "

They should grit the pavements then

The severity of the injury sustained is not the point. The point of this post is that the council sees fit to suspend all collections as a result which i see as an intense overreaction. As the title says....

Except it was the contractor that suspended collection, not the council. An overreaction perhaps but as I said, it was for one day, not a protracted length if time. "

The contractor then, not the council but the facts remain unchanged. I am aware that employers have a duty of care towards their employees but lets not forget that employees also have a duty of care towards themselves. Risk can be minimised but no one can expect it to be eradicated. As i said, an occupational hazard.

» Add a new message to this topic