FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dealing with irrational fears as an adult

Dealing with irrational fears as an adult

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sigh. This is somewhat embarrassing.

I've had a fear of dolls since I was little (Toy Story and Small Solders anyone?), quite easy to cope with in my day to day life though I won't watch horror films that involve dolls, I don't even like looking at some photos of dolls.

But my step dad bought me a set of absolutely beautiful collectable porcelain Jack and Sally (Nightmare Before Christmas) dolls for Christmas, which I love and want to have in my bedroom but I've been getting creeped out by them at night, even if I put the lid on the box at night because I can have an over active imagination at times even if it's ridiculous and I know it. Can anyone relate?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Sigh. This is somewhat embarrassing.

I've had a fear of dolls since I was little (Toy Story and Small Solders anyone?), quite easy to cope with in my day to day life though I won't watch horror films that involve dolls, I don't even like looking at some photos of dolls.

But my step dad bought me a set of absolutely beautiful collectable porcelain Jack and Sally (Nightmare Before Christmas) dolls for Christmas, which I love and want to have in my bedroom but I've been getting creeped out by them at night, even if I put the lid on the box at night because I can have an over active imagination at times even if it's ridiculous and I know it. Can anyone relate? "

Can you move them somewhere else at bedtime?

But my step dad bought me a set of absolutely beautiful collectable porcelain Jack and Sally (Nightmare Before Christmas) dolls for Christmas, which I love and want to have in my bedroom but I've been getting creeped out by them at night, even if I put the lid on the box at night because I can have an over active imagination at times even if it's ridiculous and I know it. Can anyone relate?

Can you move them somewhere else at bedtime?"

I think I might have to, but I'm going to expose to myself more during the day time. I feel like I'm not being grateful enough for such a lovely present too.

When I was younger, my mother decided I needed to be more "girly" (apparently my love of basketball and baseball (etc) was worrying to her ).

Anyway, part of her attempt was painting my room light pink, putting a paper border around the top of my room of dolls in pink dresses and placing those creepy porcelain dolls all over my room. I've been scarred ever since. I used to have to keep my eyes closed in the middle of the night when I needed to go to the bathroom because the whites of their open eyes would make me unable to sleep the rest of the night.

It's not the same type of fear as you describe, but I just deal with it by not owning those types of dolls (which is no hardship, I can tell you!).

I think I might have to, but I'm going to expose to myself more during the day time. I feel like I'm not being grateful enough for such a lovely present too. "

You can’t help how your mind triggers, don’t conflate your fear as being lack of gratitude.

"When I was younger, my mother decided I needed to be more "girly" (apparently my love of basketball and baseball (etc) was worrying to her ).

Anyway, part of her attempt was painting my room light pink, putting a paper border around the top of my room of dolls in pink dresses and placing those creepy porcelain dolls all over my room. I've been scarred ever since. I used to have to keep my eyes closed in the middle of the night when I needed to go to the bathroom because the whites of their open eyes would make me unable to sleep the rest of the night.

It's not the same type of fear as you describe, but I just deal with it by not owning those types of dolls (which is no hardship, I can tell you!). "

Ooooh, I can't stand that kind of porcelain doll. You're definitely not alone!

I think I might have to, but I'm going to expose to myself more during the day time. I feel like I'm not being grateful enough for such a lovely present too.

You can’t help how your mind triggers, don’t conflate your fear as being lack of gratitude. "

I know, I'm just going to have to try and expose myself to them more. They're truly works of art.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's feasible to let go of what's likely an irrational fear (some aren't of course - but dolls probably are) in an hour or two. If I'd got something that limited me and it was sufficiently important, I'd get a pro to support me.

I had an irrational fear of heights, couldn't even stand on a chair.

Timeline therapy worked for me. Just one session and I was cured. Recently replaced some guttering on my house.

» Add a new message to this topic