FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > SNP attack on the poor

SNP attack on the poor

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Well the commy dogs of the SNP have unleashed their attack on us poor buggers living on pensions or low income. My wife and I enjoy a tipple and we buy one bottle of whiskey a month. Now it costs £11 but with the 50p a unit coming in will cost £14.

We are not alcoholics but that is £36 a year extra tax. Then the odd beer, of course Tesco cheap oh, miserable Sod's the lot of them.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm personally all for making alcohol and unhealthy foods more expensive. The tax on these needs to be used towards the cost alcohol use and obesity on emergency services and NHS.

It’s not a tax. It’s a min price. There is not additional tax.

The vast majority of alcohol purchased is already above the min price anyways.

Worked in addiction field for 10 years! This is long over due! Frosty Jacks was a favourite with my clients, they used to buy 3 x 3ltr per day for £9. That’s 66 units of alcohol. Now one bottle will cost £11, so result in a big reduction and improved outcomes for health.

Scotland has a huge drink problem and we need to try and tackle the culture!

"Well the commy dogs of the SNP have unleashed their attack on us poor buggers living on pensions or low income. My wife and I enjoy a tipple and we buy one bottle of whiskey a month. Now it costs £11 but with the 50p a unit coming in will cost £14.

We are not alcoholics but that is £36 a year extra tax. Then the odd beer, of course Tesco cheap oh, miserable Sod's the lot of them."

If you can’t afford the extra £3 a month then maybe you should give up drinking and save £14 a month. As for commy dogs,explain what you refer to. The nhs is blighted every day with problem drinkers plus a&e inundated every weekend with drink related incidents. If the small extra helps eleviate this in some way then bring it

on I say.

Id say alcohol is a luxury...cant afford it...dont drink it.

Simple

Same as cigarettes.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Alcoholics will find the money, shoplift or steal to pay for their drink. It won’t make a difference to them. It will make a difference to those who enjoy a drink at home who aren’t alcoholics.

It’ll be interesting to see how much of this income actually reaches the NHS.

Don’t think it will generate enough to make a difference.in my opinion. It will be the saving in the nhs itself from drink . Resources will be saved in order to deal with other conditions.i don’t think it will be that bad on incomes at home either.

"This is how we make the moooooooshine"!

Friends a paramedic spend wasted hours with these d*unks every weekend.when they should be out saving the people that need there help.I would make alcohol so exepensive it is a luxury to be enjoyed not abused.

Alcoholics will steal as Falcon said I have experienced this in Paisley where me and my boy were pulled into the lane during the day and told give them the money he is 12 yrs old i had no option to give them the money was not going to put my boys life in danger all you have to do is listen to the news this happens every day

What does communism have to do with paying 3 quid more for a bottle of whisky?

If it goes some way to reducing alcohol related crime, injury or illness then how is it a bad thing?

To be fair I'd rather have the SNP putting 3 quid on a bottle of whisky than the have the tories in power.

"Alcoholics will find the money, shoplift or steal to pay for their drink. It won’t make a difference to them. It will make a difference to those who enjoy a drink at home who aren’t alcoholics.

It’ll be interesting to see how much of this income actually reaches the NHS. "

None of it will as its not a tax increase.

I suggest it's a pigovian tax that won't quite negate the problems it is intended to. Only time will tell I guess

Some alcoholics will steal, just like some non alcoholics will steal. Cant tarnish everyone with the same brush.

I don’t know any health professionals, or those who work in substance misuse field who think this is a bad idea. Every professional I know fully supports it.

Not one solution will work. But this is one key part in a full holistic approach. Read melting the ice berg for the full story.

"I suggest it's a pigovian tax that won't quite negate the problems it is intended to. Only time will tell I guess "

It’s not a tax

"What does communism have to do with paying 3 quid more for a bottle of whisky?

If it goes some way to reducing alcohol related crime, injury or illness then how is it a bad thing?

To be fair I'd rather have the SNP putting 3 quid on a bottle of whisky than the have the tories in power. "

Think they tanned their monthly quota in the one night.god forbid having the tories in power . The countries suffering enough under the tory over lordship. Cuts to our pocket money from Westminster isn’t helping either.

By *iboy69Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Lost a family member to alcoholism so welcome any attempt to combat it but yes Tories have been attacking the poor for years ? Too bad if you don't want to pay extra £ 3 quid , lots of people can't afford food ffs

"It’ll be interesting to see how much of this income actually reaches the NHS. "

I'd hazard a guess at none

Let's put a minimum price on petrol and diesel of £1.50 per litre as the costs of air pollution to the NHS, along with RTAs, must be huge.

How about a minimum price on calories consumed?

Are the affects of alcohol on the better off any less devastating than on the poor? Does it cost the state less to treat middle class boozers? Or do we just have a condescending attitude to the poorer off drinking?

By *uicyhardCouple  over a year ago

Walderslade

""This is how we make the moooooooshine"! "

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"Well the commy dogs of the SNP have unleashed their attack on us poor buggers living on pensions or low income. My wife and I enjoy a tipple and we buy one bottle of whiskey a month. Now it costs £11 but with the 50p a unit coming in will cost £14.

We are not alcoholics but that is £36 a year extra tax. Then the odd beer, of course Tesco cheap oh, miserable Sod's the lot of them."

Coming soon to a village near you, a white van from the fleshpots of Carlisle or Berwick

The problem all previous and future governments have is that the tax revenue from alcohol/petrol/fags far out weighs the negative economical effects on the NHS.

Government bodies have priced it all up numerous times, otherwise if it was just about saving lives why haven't they made scotch/fags £100 each or more?

Very sad but true state of affairs!

Cramlington

"It’s not a tax. It’s a min price. There is not additional tax.

Worked in addiction field for 10 years! This is long over due! Frosty Jacks was a favourite with my clients, they used to buy 3 x 3ltr per day for £9. That’s 66 units of alcohol. Now one bottle will cost £11, so result in a big reduction and improved outcomes for health.

Scotland has a huge drink problem and we need to try and tackle the culture! "

Dream on - prohibition rarely works, and those who need oblivion will seek alternatives.

Scotland has a huge drink problem and we need to try and tackle the culture! Dream on - prohibition rarely works, and those who need oblivion will seek alternatives."

Bit confused. It’s not prohibition. It’s harm reduction.

Charming attitude btw

"It’ll be interesting to see how much of this income actually reaches the NHS.

I'd hazard a guess at none "

Think you'd be right...take for instance tax on smoking. That's brings in more then £12 billion... smoking related cost to the NHS is estimated at between 3 to 6 billion pounds...as with all these increases in tax to health issues...the revenue is never really spent on the cause of the issue.

they holy watter shid be free

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Only buy a bottle every other month then OP and save yourself a few quid

By *ncandiladoCouple  over a year ago

Dundee

How the fuck is increasing the price of alcohol an attack on the poor?

And it's whisky by the way, not whiskey, unless you're buying foreign shit!

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

My mum and dad were alcoholics. Many of their friends were too. I wish it had been too expensive for them. My life would have been very different. I'd likely still have two parents and an extended family.

Long overdue and I really do hope it makes a difference and changes the drinking culture

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Hadn't anyone considered that if you price out the alcoholics the number of drug users increases?

They used to call the SNP the Tartan Tories

I stopped reading at "community dogs". Did I miss anything?

Cramlington

Scotland has a huge drink problem and we need to try and tackle the culture! Dream on - prohibition rarely works, and those who need oblivion will seek alternatives.

Charming attitude btw "

The objective may be harm reduction, but it's price based prohibition, and all the evidence is that it fails. Price based prohibition on cigarettes failed for decades until a mix of education and public space prohibition (the smoking ban) changed public attitudes.

Don't like my attitude? It's not for sale. I just dislike political grandstanding dressed up as a public health measure.

[Removed by poster at 26/12/17 22:21:14]

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Let's put a minimum price on petrol and diesel of £1.50 per litre as the costs of air pollution to the NHS, along with RTAs, must be huge.

How about a minimum price on calories consumed?

Are the affects of alcohol on the better off any less devastating than on the poor? Does it cost the state less to treat middle class boozers? Or do we just have a condescending attitude to the poorer off drinking?

"

yes

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

I'd like to know how the OP manages to get a bottle of whisky for only £11, it's £15 a bottle around here and much more if you want anything half decent!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Scotland has a huge drink problem and we need to try and tackle the culture! Dream on - prohibition rarely works, and those who need oblivion will seek alternatives.

Charming attitude btw The objective may be harm reduction, but it's price based prohibition, and all the evidence is that it fails. Price based prohibition on cigarettes failed for decades until a mix of education and public space prohibition (the smoking ban) changed public attitudes.

Don't like my attitude? It's not for sale. I just dislike political grandstanding dressed up as a public health measure."

"I'd like to know how the OP manages to get a bottle of whisky for only £11, it's £15 a bottle around here and much more if you want anything half decent!"

Well that's a bonus as he'll be able to buy decent whisky at the same price as cheap shite now

"I'd like to know how the OP manages to get a bottle of whisky for only £11, it's £15 a bottle around here and much more if you want anything half decent!"

Plenty of 70cl whis(e)y in Tesco from their own to Famous Grouse to Jim Beam between £11-£13.

It's not even 10 pence a day. If the need for your super cheap bottle of whiskey is inescapable surely you can find 10 pence a day?

Charming attitude btw The objective may be harm reduction, but it's price based prohibition, and all the evidence is that it fails. Price based prohibition on cigarettes failed for decades until a mix of education and public space prohibition (the smoking ban) changed public attitudes.

Don't like my attitude? It's not for sale. I just dislike political grandstanding dressed up as a public health measure."

It’s clearly not price prohibition. The min price would have to be a lot higher than 50p unit to be prohibitive. At 50p per unit people will still drink, but just drink less ergo harm reduction.

As for evidence, this is a clearly well researched policy. Melting the ice berg and it’s appendix shows this is a clearly evidenced based policy. All the health and caring profession support, ie the experts on the front line, this public health measure.

Anyways no desire to get into an arguement about this. So am out.

Ciao all.

You wanted independence live with it

We are not alcoholics but that is £36 a year extra tax. Then the odd beer, of course Tesco cheap oh, miserable Sod's the lot of them. You wanted independence live with it"

I thought Scotland voted against independence? Or do you mean devolution?

Long overdue... and very welcome, working in public health this is about doing more upstream to prevent issues arising before tje nhs need to step in... but out had to be supported with treatment and support too.... one alone isn't enough

Cramlington

Don't like my attitude? It's not for sale. I just dislike political grandstanding dressed up as a public health measure.

It’s clearly not price prohibition. The min price would have to be a lot higher than 50p unit to be prohibitive. At 50p per unit people will still drink, but just drink less ergo harm reduction.

As for evidence, this is a clearly well researched policy. Melting the ice berg and it’s appendix shows this is a clearly evidenced based policy. All the health and caring profession support, ie the experts on the front line, this public health measure.

Anyways no desire to get into an arguement about this. So am out.

Ciao all. "

One of the huge issues with melting the iceberg and reports like it is that it never addressed why Scotland's drink problem is worse than England's. The idea that harm reduction will automatically result is a wish, at best an expectation, but is not based in evidence.

This just affects the less well off as far as i can make out..it may just push the price of drink past the margin for some people (good or bad thing..I don't know) but for the better off it's not really gonna effect them as much if at all really...not sure people's pockets is the place to hit on this one, it's very divisive.

Also, people will just make home brew..you can make it very cheaply and simply with half a brain and some ingenuity. Then folk will be drinking home made booze..

Could of course make a home made still too and get yourself some spirits..easy done. Shops aren't needed in order to drink.

My brother made his hooch in prison with pizza dough. Got yeast in it see..easy peasy

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've not seen enough of the politics to know the full details - this should probably be in that section.

With voting and democracy, you get the full package, not just one element.

Black market booze will rise I think..

I have a great deal of family in Glasgow and since tobacco prices have been rocketing the last few years all they get is dodgy backy..can't move for the stuff..everyone knows someone who can get backy right?

It'll be the same with booze..it's so easily made.

You think drug dealers and dodgy back dealers won't adopt dodgy alcohol?

People rightly won't put up with being treat as cash cows and will come up with their own solutions legal and illegal and i highly encourage that....

I can't stand booze but I'll defend a person's right to kill themselves on it as a free person..not one financially crippled into compliance.

Ome bottle of Whiskey for month? Dont get me wrong I enjoyed one on the rocks yesterday but you might want to get your liver and kidney fuction checked.

As for finances of booze. I agree with it, bring it to england and wales. Hopefully it'll lower the amount of 18-50 year olds coming in to A&E, I used to see when I did communication work on the graveyard shift - all to have their stomachs pumped or needing first aid due to alcohol consumption.

"Black market booze will rise I think..

I have a great deal of family in Glasgow and since tobacco prices have been rocketing the last few years all they get is dodgy backy..can't move for the stuff..everyone knows someone who can get backy right?

People rightly won't put up with being treat as cash cows and will come up with their own solutions legal and illegal and i highly encourage that....

I can't stand booze but I'll defend a person's right to kill themselves on it as a free person..not one financially crippled into compliance. "

I don't, not when im propping their serotic liver up with tax money and they increase strain on the the NHS.

"Black market booze will rise I think..

I can't stand booze but I'll defend a person's right to kill themselves on it as a free person..not one financially crippled into compliance.

I don't, not when im propping their serotic liver up with tax money and they increase strain on the the NHS."

That's a shame..'cos folk will find a way

The Government want to raise more money. It's an easy way to do it.

I question why people want cheaper booze, we have a serious issue in yhis country where the recommended amount to drink is not enough.

Quite frankly I think everyone should be made to take a look at the liver of someone who drinks regularly vs someone who enjoys a beer with their curry or a glass of wine with sunday lunch.

» Add a new message to this topic