FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is 50 Shades still all that?

Is 50 Shades still all that?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

50 shades of grey is possibly the reason a lot of us are on here or were on here. The books were great but since the movies came out it doesn’t seem to be much a talking point. Do people still use Mr. Grey for inspiration or is it all a bit last year?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We'd actively avoid anyone using 50 Shades as inspiration!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Looking at the thread title, the first thought that came to mind was 'shit'..?

Read the first book and thought it was shite!!!

So poorly written, so not going to go anywhere near the films.

But each to their own, just my humble opinion

Prepare for a roasting OP

in Lancashire

"Prepare for a roasting OP"

with or without a pre-basting?

By *inky SpiceWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

The books are great!!? Maybe if you're an illiterate teenage virgin.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Much preferred The Story of O myself. The book that is rather than the film.

S

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Some people obviously do use it as inspiration, you see the 50 shades inspired usernames still pop up. However the books were not "great" they were bloody dreadful.

50 shades of crap is the most overrated unacurate film ever.It fluttered a few feather dusters of the inexperienced bored housewives that's all.

Utter boring crap.

Was it ever?

Shower of uneducated shite.

Never watched or read it and never will watch or read it.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

The books were great?! That's the first time I've ever heard a man say that. Heck, this is the first time I've ever saw a man admit to reading them!

in Lancashire

To be fair upon reflection whilst the whole 50 shades is a crock for some people it will have started a curiosity..

wasn't that keen on Lady Chatterley's lover when i first read it..

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious; "50 shades" was purpotedly a book about BDSM (although I imagine many into BDSM would take issue with its portrayal).

The theme of this website is swinging.

Surely if you'd read the book and wanted some kink, you'd visit one of the many kink lifestyle sites?

I enjoyed the 1st book. Sorry, I realise that’s a totally uncool thing to say on the swing scene or on Fab. And I will admit that it initiated my interest in BDSM. I’ve developed my knowledge considerably since then, but we all have to start somewhere, and that’s where I started. Whoops, I guess I’ve now lost all credibility with that admission.

Mrs

"50 shades of grey is possibly the reason a lot of us are on here or were on here. The books were great but since the movies came out it doesn’t seem to be much a talking point. Do people still use Mr. Grey for inspiration or is it all a bit last year? "

I think they were great books too. They got women feeling able to express themselves sexually. They could use the books as an 'excuse' for being more sexually open.

It really pisses me off when people get all high and mighty about the books. Of course we all know they were written like shit, that's not the point.

You lot bitching about the books are sexually open and on this site having fun. Any chance you could have a bit of empathy for people that can't be so open??

By *lmostthereMan  over a year ago

Southampton

50 shades of meh.

Some of the worst pulp ever written.

"I enjoyed the 1st book. Sorry, I realise that’s a totally uncool thing to say on the swing scene or on Fab. And I will admit that it initiated my interest in BDSM. I’ve developed my knowledge considerably since then, but we all have to start somewhere, and that’s where I started. Whoops, I guess I’ve now lost all credibility with that admission.

Mrs"

I think you're brilliant for saying it! Everyone has to start somewhere. Doesn't matter what gets them started as long as they feel empowered enough to try.

Hahaha the backlash to this is completely unprecedented! Yes I think the books were good because it opened the eyes to many different people about a different perspective to sex. Bdsm or otherwise. No one can argue that it became a talking point. I think that can be attributed to an extent to the rise in popularity on dating sites. Each to their own I suppose but I read them because people (more specifically - women) were reading them and I wanted that same insight.

"50 shades of grey is possibly the reason a lot of us are on here or were on here. The books were great but since the movies came out it doesn’t seem to be much a talking point. Do people still use Mr. Grey for inspiration or is it all a bit last year? "

. Never seen it or read it, and its fiction after all.

"50 shades of grey is possibly the reason a lot of us are on here or were on here. The books were great but since the movies came out it doesn’t seem to be much a talking point. Do people still use Mr. Grey for inspiration or is it all a bit last year?

I think they were great books too. They got women feeling able to express themselves sexually. They could use the books as an 'excuse' for being more sexually open.

It really pisses me off when people get all high and mighty about the books. Of course we all know they were written like shit, that's not the point.

You lot bitching about the books are sexually open and on this site having fun. Any chance you could have a bit of empathy for people that can't be so open?? "

Yeah I’m not going to slag off a book down just because it’s a simple easy read. I personally prefer novels that are easy to read. I admire those who capable of reading great works of literature, but I’m not ashamed to admit thats not me.

Mrs

Why not try 120 Days if Sodom by Marquis de Sade. Now *that* is a good read.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The books were great"

Seriously? Have you actually read them.

I only read the first book and thought it was poorly written drivel. If only got finished because I don't like to give up on things.

It certainly has nothing yo to with bring on Fab.

Nita

Have to say hated the books and won't watch the film

I haven’t read the books so only going on what I read in an article.

But the article said the relationship between the two main characters border lined abuse?

Is that correct or just a newspaper fanning the flames?

By *olliPineCouple  over a year ago

swingers clubs

Don't think it's ever been all that!

Not sure either why it would bring people to this site. 50 shades is not at all about swinging. Although I'm not saying that some swingers don't like a bit of BDSM.

And any one with a reference to Mr Grey in their username gets ignored from us anyway.

BDSM is just not for us, swinging is. Nowt wrong with good old sex without needing to paddle, whip, dominate, pain play etc.

"I haven’t read the books so only going on what I read in an article.

But the article said the relationship between the two main characters border lined abuse?

Is that correct or just a newspaper fanning the flames?"

I didn't read the books as that way. He's keen and a bit of a knob but it's not abuse. She consents to everything. Things she doesn't like she doesn't do again. She doesn't even sign his contract. She's unaware that she's also in control of him.

I'm still struggling to read the 3rd so don't know how it ends yet. But it's basically a love story. Kinky Cinderella. An experienced man gives a virginal young woman the chance to enjoy sex and empowers her at the same time.

By *elly39devonCouple  over a year ago

tavistock

I really enjoyed 50 shades but im a bit into BDSM its a bit shallow but interesting. I thought the film quite good as well. Story of O different thing altogether, I have read that a couple of times and still get something from it

I really did try to read it but I just couldn't so it didn't do much for me.

I do like to Google bdsm images, some of the black and white pictures are fantastic and pictures of rope work etc. That churns my imagination more than written words.

"I haven’t read the books so only going on what I read in an article.

Is that correct or just a newspaper fanning the flames?"

I haven't read the books, saw a snippet online and couldn't even think about reading such shit, but I watched the film as it was on T.V. a little while ago and it did come across as him having issues from his childhood and abusing her as a response. It certainly didn't resemble what I've come to expect from a dom/sub relationship.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

You think loads of people are on here because of some piss poor fiction and crap movies OP which I've neither read nor seen.

Really?

Maybe it explains the number of why can't I get a meet threads

I actually really love the films, not because of the sex either, I tried reading the books after the film as I wasn’t going to jump on ‘that’ bandwagon at the time it was all a big hype!

That said though, I know quite a few people whose sex life improved through reading the books who otherwise had quite a ‘queit’ sex life so if it helped them to reconnect sexually no matter how shit a lot of us thought the books were surely that’s a good thing? People that only did it once a month or whatever began to do it more regularly and explore a little more (regardless of how inaccurate it all was), maybe they never thought of being tied to a bed or whatever and this opened up their eyes.

Geeky x

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"Much preferred The Story of O myself. The book that is rather than the film.

S"

Read it at 16...

Only watched 50 shades a short while ago, mainly to shut up a friend who raved about it.

I won't be watching the sequel(s)

"You think loads of people are on here because of some piss poor fiction and crap movies OP which I've neither read nor seen.

Really?

Maybe it explains the number of why can't I get a meet threads "

I really dont think there is an explanation for all the “why can’t I get a meet threads”! I think half the people that put up those threads can’t even read so don’t blame it on a book!

It's just brought about men who think they are dom, but have no idea of the concept. If I see 'grey' in a man's username', I tend to eye roll then ignore. I thought the book (only read one), was repetative. How many times can a person say ' oh my!'?

Scunthorpe

I think it was her "inner goddess" I got seriously fed up with

Nita

"I actually really love the films, not because of the sex either, I tried reading the books after the film as I wasn’t going to jump on ‘that’ bandwagon at the time it was all a big hype!

That said though, I know quite a few people whose sex life improved through reading the books who otherwise had quite a ‘queit’ sex life so if it helped them to reconnect sexually no matter how shit a lot of us thought the books were surely that’s a good thing? People that only did it once a month or whatever began to do it more regularly and explore a little more (regardless of how inaccurate it all was), maybe they never thought of being tied to a bed or whatever and this opened up their eyes.

Geeky x"

Never seen or read any of it other than a few paragraphs of an ex's book. It was a fad but I think it's deffintely changed the face of this place

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Badly written. Probably more kink in the Famous Five.

By *urvymamaWoman  over a year ago

Doncaster

WAS it ever anything to begin with

If that shite it was your reason for being here you’ve likely suffered some great disappoint on this site

"I think it was her "inner goddess" I got seriously fed up with

Nita"

Oh yes! Forgot about that

By *lmostthereMan  over a year ago

Southampton

"

I do like to Google bdsm images, some of the black and white pictures are fantastic and pictures of rope work etc. That churns my imagination more than written words."

*Cough* Tumblr.

You'll thank/curse me when you disappear into a BDSM and Shibari black hole for days on end

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

I read about 2 chapters & had to stop because it was so badly written it hurt my head. No interest in the films.

If it’s empowered women to experiment, great.

Sadly it’s also empowered a load of blokes to think they’re a Dom when all they are is a pushy bloke wanting things his own way. I’ve met a couple of guys who have told me they were a ‘Dom’ when all they really wanted was a compliant woman to fuck and to piss around spanking me - with no technique or idea at all!! It’s one of the reasons I won’t meet outside of clubs now & I don’t advertise my interest in BDSM unless I’m playing with my partner.

It does seem to be dying off now, thankfully!

"

I do like to Google bdsm images, some of the black and white pictures are fantastic and pictures of rope work etc. That churns my imagination more than written words.

*Cough* Tumblr.

You'll thank/curse me when you disappear into a BDSM and Shibari black hole for days on end "

Ooh a new portal of filth to dissappear into. Is it big, my phone explodes with instagram

"I read about 2 chapters & had to stop because it was so badly written it hurt my head. No interest in the films.

If it’s empowered women to experiment, great.

Sadly it’s also empowered a load of blokes to think they’re a Dom when all they are is a pushy bloke wanting things his own way. I’ve met a couple of guys who have told me they were a ‘Dom’ when all they really wanted was a compliant woman to fuck and to piss around spanking me - with no technique or idea at all!! It’s one of the reasons I won’t meet outside of clubs now & I don’t advertise my interest in BDSM unless I’m playing with my partner.

It does seem to be dying off now, thankfully! "

Unfortunately, I think you might be right there. Of course, I aspire to be as wealthy and handsome as Mr. Grey with drawers for all my different watches but I think a lot of guys get the wrong idea and go along with sad impersonations for their own gain which just isn’t the right way to go about it. It’s portrayed in the books and films to be stimulating for both parties but guys seem to miss the point there. Empowering women? Can’t argue with that. If that’s what’s happened, I hope they’re empowered enough to backhand the selfish, single-minded blokes on here!

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

you do know that the whole 50 shades phenomenon started off as twilight fan fiction on a web site just change the names to edward & bella and there you have it 50 shades of shite the other was apparently threatened with legal action ifshe didnt change the names , it got noticed by one of Operas researchers and made a fuss of on her show the rest is history

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"50 shades of grey is possibly the reason a lot of us are on here "

Bizarre logic

"you do know that the whole 50 shades phenomenon started off as twilight fan fiction on a web site just change the names to edward & bella and there you have it 50 shades of shite the other was apparently threatened with legal action ifshe didnt change the names , it got noticed by one of Operas researchers and made a fuss of on her show the rest is history "

I have heard of this actually! Never read twilight myself (as much as it might surprise everyone in this thread as apparently my taste in literature is so bad!) but It’s still gotta be a better love story than twilight

"you do know that the whole 50 shades phenomenon started off as twilight fan fiction on a web site just change the names to edward & bella and there you have it 50 shades of shite the other was apparently threatened with legal action ifshe didnt change the names , it got noticed by one of Operas researchers and made a fuss of on her show the rest is history

I have heard of this actually! Never read twilight myself (as much as it might surprise everyone in this thread as apparently my taste in literature is so bad!) but It’s still gotta be a better love story than twilight "

I actually enjoyed Twilight.... I may regret admitting that

"you do know that the whole 50 shades phenomenon started off as twilight fan fiction on a web site just change the names to edward & bella and there you have it 50 shades of shite the other was apparently threatened with legal action ifshe didnt change the names , it got noticed by one of Operas researchers and made a fuss of on her show the rest is history

I have heard of this actually! Never read twilight myself (as much as it might surprise everyone in this thread as apparently my taste in literature is so bad!) but It’s still gotta be a better love story than twilight

I actually enjoyed Twilight.... I may regret admitting that "

After the verbal beatdown I’ve just had... I think you might too haha

By *K430Man  over a year ago

Tipperary

Can't say I've read the books but the general feedback was , shite on a stick , so can't really see it being a driving force for anyone here

Scunthorpe

"

I actually enjoyed Twilight.... I may regret admitting that "

Nnooooooo...

Vampires DO NOT sparkle

Nita

After the verbal beatdown I’ve just had... I think you might too haha"

I'm a female on fab, I might just about get away with it (she says, as she signs her own death warrant)

"

Nnooooooo...

Vampires DO NOT sparkle

Nita"

They do! They s_ine like beautiful diamonds

» Add a new message to this topic