FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Helleborus hybridus

Helleborus hybridus

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Also known as Helleborus orientalis.

If you have any of these great plants in your garden you'll be aware that they're about to start flowering, or soon will be depending on where you are in the country.

You can improve the flower display and the overall health and appearance of them by removing all leaves at the base as the flower buds begin to appear.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dunno what that is, but I've still got a bloody rose that's flowering. It's hard as nails.

Is this the same as stinky helibore ?

"Is this the same as stinky helibore ? "

You mean Helleborus foetidus, this, along with Helleborus argutifolius, flower on biennial stems and should be treated differently - cut flowered stems down to the ground or a low bud immediately after flowering.

I've still got snapdragons under about 4" of snow!

my geraniums are covered in snow on the window baskets...its pretty though!

Love hellebores they always surprise me when they reappear.

"Love hellebores they always surprise me when they reappear. "

H. hybridus is commonly known as the Lenten Rose as it would flower during the Christian Lent (mid February to Easter). It seems these weird seasonal changes we are experiencing have caused some confusion.

"Love hellebores they always surprise me when they reappear.

H. hybridus is commonly known as the Lenten Rose as it would flower during the Christian Lent (mid February to Easter). It seems these weird seasonal changes we are experiencing have caused some confusion."

Do they call them Christmas rose too.

"Love hellebores they always surprise me when they reappear.

H. hybridus is commonly known as the Lenten Rose as it would flower during the Christian Lent (mid February to Easter). It seems these weird seasonal changes we are experiencing have caused some confusion.

Do they call them Christmas rose too."

That one's Helleborus niger, called the Christmas Rose as it flowers a little earlier. Ironically nowadays they seem to flower at the same time as H. hybridus.

Ive had a solitary snowdrop in my garden for about two weeks now. Thats the earliest ive ever seen them. And ive got two rose flowers hanging on. Very pretty with a few snowflakes resting on the petals.

"Ive had a solitary snowdrop in my garden for about two weeks now. Thats the earliest ive ever seen them. And ive got two rose flowers hanging on. Very pretty with a few snowflakes resting on the petals."

Still cutting roses for indoors here, i've never seen anything like it and it's driving me crazy as i'm having to postpone the winter pruning. The snowdrops, however, are just breaking through the soil - a bit more normal.

By *asques and boxersCouple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

"Dunno what that is, but I've still got a bloody rose that's flowering. It's hard as nails."

Thats actually quite a coincidence as the Helleborus common name is a Christmas Rose

By *asques and boxersCouple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

Whoops a little behind the conversation flow sorry

I have dug some of the deep purple flowering one's up, and put them in pots. I find the deep purple flower, against the deep green leaves, don't show well against dark soil. They 'show' better a little higher to the eye, in pots on their own.

"I have dug some of the deep purple flowering one's up, and put them in pots. I find the deep purple flower, against the deep green leaves, don't show well against dark soil. They 'show' better a little higher to the eye, in pots on their own."

A good idea, they do really well in pots. I have one garden that's quite steep and has been terraced and have planted some on top of a retainer wall next to a long set of steps so that the nodding flowers look down on you as you climb.

"I have dug some of the deep purple flowering one's up, and put them in pots. I find the deep purple flower, against the deep green leaves, don't show well against dark soil. They 'show' better a little higher to the eye, in pots on their own.

A good idea, they do really well in pots. I have one garden that's quite steep and has been terraced and have planted some on top of a retainer wall next to a long set of steps so that the nodding flowers look down on you as you climb."

'One' garden that is terraced ? How many gardens have you got

"I have dug some of the deep purple flowering one's up, and put them in pots. I find the deep purple flower, against the deep green leaves, don't show well against dark soil. They 'show' better a little higher to the eye, in pots on their own.

A good idea, they do really well in pots. I have one garden that's quite steep and has been terraced and have planted some on top of a retainer wall next to a long set of steps so that the nodding flowers look down on you as you climb.

'One' garden that is terraced ? How many gardens have you got "

I'm a gardener so quite a few. I always refer to them as 'mine' because that's the way i like to treat them. Apologies for misleading you.

» Add a new message to this topic