FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Army dogs

Army dogs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rumpyMcFuckNugget OP   Man  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

If you know about this story please sign the petition at change.org to save these wonderful dogs . The reward they get for saving lives is to be put down . This is farcical and cannot be allowed to happen . They should be retrained and go to a loving family . Sorry I'm banging on about animals again but this is scandalous! !

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Den of Iniquity

Bump

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I may be wrong, but I believe that the army deem the dogs to be unsafe as pets. When I was a child (army brat) I remember there being an incident of a MP's dog savaging a small child on the barracks.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Not that I disagree with you OP. It does seem very wrong, but I understand the reasons.

Cal

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They can't even retrain most humans!.

What makes you think you can do it with dogs?.

As somebody who has experience in dog behaviour and training, it's not possible with most I can tell you that, some can be with a great deal of patience, love and good handling but it's time consuming

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Considering how they treat the humans who have been affected by a are I am not surprised at this story however your post is misleading. It is not all service dogs that meet this end bit the ones they cannot re home die to behavioural issues.

Perhaps they should have retirement kennels for them but then what life is it to live in kennels full time?

If they did re home them and the worst happened and they attacked or killed someone can you imagine the uproar? Anu dog van mad does snap bit a dog trained such as service dogs and who can have deep seated issues just like any ex soldier it would be more of a when not if case.

Den of Iniquity

Yes I'm aware it's not all Army dogs that meet this fate and I appreciate that rehoming then isn't easy either . But to callously put them down straight after the army have no further use for them is just plain heartlessness

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Yes I'm aware it's not all Army dogs that meet this fate and I appreciate that rehoming then isn't easy either . But to callously put them down straight after the army have no further use for them is just plain heartlessness "

What do you suggest as an alternative for the dogs that can't be retrained?

By *orthatry84Couple  over a year ago

cardiff

"Yes I'm aware it's not all Army dogs that meet this fate and I appreciate that rehoming then isn't easy either . But to callously put them down straight after the army have no further use for them is just plain heartlessness "

Is it more heartless to condemn them to life in a cramped kennel for the remainder of their life as they are not safe to re-home?

Den of Iniquity

"Yes I'm aware it's not all Army dogs that meet this fate and I appreciate that rehoming then isn't easy either . But to callously put them down straight after the army have no further use for them is just plain heartlessness

What do you suggest as an alternative for the dogs that can't be retrained?"

Tbh I'm not sure ( it's not easy ) . Fuck it I'll have them . Maybe the army should set up a doggy retirement home so at least they can be with other dogs and live out there natural life span !!

evesham

But it's not straight after though is it. The try to retrain and re home them first.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I am not sure about the fine details of this story.

However I would imagine that it's dogs that are trained for "certain types of duty"

A dog that's trained to sniff out IED's will be massively different from a guard dog that has not had any human interaction since birth other than its handler and the ones it's trained to attack.

I can't see how they can reprogram a dog that has been trained to attack since a very young age.

But a sniffer or rescue dog is a different case entirely.

By *carlet_heavenWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

"Yes I'm aware it's not all Army dogs that meet this fate and I appreciate that rehoming then isn't easy either . But to callously put them down straight after the army have no further use for them is just plain heartlessness

What do you suggest as an alternative for the dogs that can't be retrained? Tbh I'm not sure ( it's not easy ) . Fuck it I'll have them . Maybe the army should set up a doggy retirement home so at least they can be with other dogs and live out there natural life span !!"

'Be the change that you want to see in the world'

If you're passionate about it either set up your own charity or join forces with an existing animal or dog orientated charity.

Either way you could make a case & present it to a charity asking for them to take up the cause or to collaborate with you.

It seems like a very worthy cause imho but you would need to research what alternatives there feasibly are & for that you'd need advice from an expert dog behaviouralist.

Please don't let cost put you off, because there will always be a way of getting support for what you need-its just a case of putting some work in. I have rescue animals & no money & know lots of people that do. Something always comes up if you really believe in what you're doing.

If this resonates with you at all please PM me as I know someone very experienced in the field & I might be able to get him to meet with you (or even help you)

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

It is only the attack dogs that this affects.

The forces no longer (and hasn't for a while) needed attack dogs.

As sad as it is, these dogs are too aggressive to rehome, some may be taken by the uk police forces but the rest will ultimately be destroyed.

It isnt a vast number of animal's and considered pragmatically, in comparison to the numbers of horses that get destroyed due to injuries in horse racing or unwanted pets that get destroyed...

I do agree that's it unpleasant but their fates are sealed.

There's a reason the attack dogs are nicknamed Land Sharks.

By *iker boy 69Man  over a year ago

midlands

As a reward for their work tho they could be placed in kennels with big area of land attached to roam around in and be looked after by trained handlers so they are not just discarded and can still enjoy the sun and have a run around. Not rocket science how to do it

evesham

"As a reward for their work tho they could be placed in kennels with big area of land attached to roam around in and be looked after by trained handlers so they are not just discarded and can still enjoy the sun and have a run around. Not rocket science how to do it"

How do they pay for it though? As harsh as it sounds they have to account for every penny and don't have the funding to support injured soldiers let alone potentially dangerous animals.

By *carlet_heavenWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

"As a reward for their work tho they could be placed in kennels with big area of land attached to roam around in and be looked after by trained handlers so they are not just discarded and can still enjoy the sun and have a run around. Not rocket science how to do it

How do they pay for it though? As harsh as it sounds they have to account for every penny and don't have the funding to support injured soldiers let alone potentially dangerous animals. "

Lack of funding to support injured soldiers & veterans is a political decision rather than an economic one. There is always money found from somewhere IF the area carries enough political importance to those in power at the time. This applies to any under funded area, of which there are many.

The general population have the greatest power to affect change & when enough people realise this & only then will anything ever change.

By *iker boy 69Man  over a year ago

midlands

"As a reward for their work tho they could be placed in kennels with big area of land attached to roam around in and be looked after by trained handlers so they are not just discarded and can still enjoy the sun and have a run around. Not rocket science how to do it

How do they pay for it though? As harsh as it sounds they have to account for every penny and don't have the funding to support injured soldiers let alone potentially dangerous animals. "

Give all the top brass who do fuck all like ministers etc a pay cut or even hatsh as it may sound any funding from help for heros as these animals are as big as hero as the soldiers

If I didn't have young children, I'd love to adopt a service dog.

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

One way to pay for it would be to stop paying compensation claims brought against the army during the Iraq war, that £20m+ would look after a lot of dogs but I’d imagine some of the law firms involved wouldn’t be to happy.

» Add a new message to this topic