FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Q: for the ex smokers...

Q: for the ex smokers...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Been an ex-smoker for 18 months now (yay for me), but fell off the wagon a couple of weeks ago - well, I say 'fell off', it's more; smashed it up and burned the feckin' thing!

Finding it hard to put them down again now - what did you do to quit and stay off them?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Stopped buying tobacco.

By *itmanAndHerrCouple  over a year ago

st helens

Ecig. Nice fruity flavours. Makes it very easy to reduce the nicotine levels and you smell sweet.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Been an ex-smoker for 18 months now (yay for me), but fell off the wagon a couple of weeks ago - well, I say 'fell off', it's more; smashed it up and burned the feckin' thing!

Finding it hard to put them down again now - what did you do to quit and stay off them?"

Been there a few times! Honestly, the only thing that's kept me off them is vaping. And I'd tried everything else.

You could repeat what you did to get off them last time, but the question is, why did you pick them up again in the first place? For me it was always going to the pub. So in the end, I stopped going to the pub!

Get a decent ecig and i mean a good one.. not some crappy thing from a petrol station!

dont beat yourself up of you have cheated every now and then...much better than constant smoking...you never know...you may becime one of those annoying social smokers only!

Dont think about giving up right now...just change a chamge of brand to ecig...few months later...you will be able to give up wothout even thinking about it...worked for me

I think you need to want to quit to quit. It's the same old thing with all addictions you just cannot stop when your hooked. Good luck trying to get back off the things. Incidentally 12 years for me!!!

I quit in January but went on my pipe, couple of wobbles here and there where I've had a fag off my friend, Saturday day I actually bought a packet of fags £9!!! After they went I bought I higher strength eliquid and been on the pipe again since.

It's the price that stops me from buying them.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

"Been an ex-smoker for 18 months now (yay for me), but fell off the wagon a couple of weeks ago - well, I say 'fell off', it's more; smashed it up and burned the feckin' thing!

Finding it hard to put them down again now - what did you do to quit and stay off them?"

Third try of cold turkey worked when I realised that as an educated adult on limited income with children, I simply couldn’t justify it anymore. That was over 20years ago.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

OP...

You are still an ex smoker.

It's said by some that nicotine is far more addictive than heroin.

Whatever made you stop.. kids family health it's not changed neither have you. But it's not easy ever.

You can do it. You have proved that... just start again from day one...and good luck..

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I quit quite a few years ago on Zyban, which I found fantastic. When I came off that I put myself of St John's Wort for a while to continue a bit of a dopamine boost 'cos I reckon that's what I was after when I was addicted. I can honestly say I have never looked back or been even slightly tempted, but I was heartily sick of the control it had over my life, and the stench.

Best thing to keep me off in the early was the knowledge that whilst it takes 6 weeks to allay nicotine receptors, it takes only ONE cigarette to bring the whole lot back to life again, so I know I could never have even one.

Vaping helps but....its mor addictive than fags

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Vaping has worked for me - quit about 18 months ago too - simply switched from ciggies one day to vaping the next and found it very easy.

I do confess I probably vape more than I should, although think that's a boredom thing as much as anything as my work has been quiet lately so going for a vape is a good time killer - that said I discussed it with my GP last time I saw him and he said there's absolutely no evidence to suggest vaping has any ill health links - it's actually the chemicals added to cigarettes that are the killer and not the nicotine.

Don't beat yourself up about lapsing OP -just take measures to stop again - which you obviously want to by posting this thread

I just stopped one day. Rolled my last one and that was it.

I find doing something to keep my hands occupied always helps if I ever get the urge. I always tend to have a pencil in my hand or in my pocket thankfully for work which usually gets chewed to death

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

I'm not an ex smoker, but there's a book my Alan Carr (not the comedian) that I've known has helped people, I have the book not read yet though.

"I'm not an ex smoker, but there's a book my Alan Carr (not the comedian) that I've known has helped people, I have the book not read yet though."

My mother had it the ironic thing is Alan Carr died of cancer in the end.

I just quit. All will power. Did t touch them until about 12 mths later, I had a few puffs of someone's fag, and put it out. Never touched them again after the coughing fit I had. That was 20yrs ago.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

"I'm not an ex smoker, but there's a book my Alan Carr (not the comedian) that I've known has helped people, I have the book not read yet though.

My mother had it the ironic thing is Alan Carr died of cancer in the end. "

He's got a few books and any of them is a worthy investment.

I've used the books and later on an e cig.

By *ed wineMan  over a year ago

Where the streets have no name

3 1/2 years since I quitted. One part of my brain said to the other: "You don't have the balls to quit smoking" and the other answered:" No? Wait and see...

Apart from jokes, I needed a strong self-control to avoid buying tobacco. Even I smoked in a couple of occassions, when went out with friends, but only in those contexts, never alone or at home.

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

I quit almost 12 years ago.I read Alan carr stop smoking guide and it helped me massively.Think you can get audio books etc now too,have a google

Miss

First time I quit using nicotine gum. I ended up starting smoking again as it was cheaper

Second time I just went cold turkey one morning and haven't had one since. That was 8 years ago now

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We stopped 30 years ago. The only thing that worked was going cold turkey. I don't know if nicotine gum was around then but for us props would have just extended the time we thought of ourselves as smokers. Its a mind set more than anything I think.

I won't lie I still miss smoking occasionally and crave one now and again I also dream that I've started smoking again . One look at the price of 20 fags soon brings up short though.

Zyban or whatever it's called worked well for me. Doesn't suit everyone, there can be side effects, but you don't know till you give it a go. It still took me a few attempts. The last attempt, instead of buying a packet of fags in a moment of weakness, I bought a e-cig. I vape occasionally, when I feel the need and haven't had a cigarette for five years.

It isn't easy and I still crave sometimes.

Never give up giving up. You'll get there one day

By *iamond coupleCouple  over a year ago

leeds

[Removed by poster at 29/11/17 18:16:53]

By *iamond coupleCouple  over a year ago

leeds

Champix worked for me. Had been smoking 45 years but been stopped 3. Just remember to eat something befor you take your tablet, even a biscuit.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Stopped buying them when they hit £5 and never looked back.

I had a routine op that went wrong, op 2 to sort it, the next day, resulted in a collapsed lung. Luckily for me my brain just said "this hurts so much because you smoke" have not touched nor wanted one since, other people smoking near me doesn't bother me either. I think my fucked up gall bladder op was not a terrible as it seemed at the time lol

I think Champix and zyban are the same thing OP, you can Google it but, talk to your GP as it was only on prescription when I was using it.

Went complete cold turkey in the end, not smoked for 13 years and don’t miss it

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Cheers folks, appreciate the ideas, stories of success and support . Would reply to each one but would take forever (keep me off the fags for a bit though wouldn't it!!)

As for my experience, went cold turkey without even conciously deciding to do it, and never even craved from that day. Unfortunately, losing my job was the event that flicked the switch and as much as I'm back in work, haven't found how to switch it off....

Will follow your lead;

I've done it before, can do it again....

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If you didn't use all of the aides as fully as you could have last time, research what is available now -including NHS support. You did incredibly well, so you also have great experience to draw on.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

My dad has quit quite a few times, however, he has been coming round to mine for the last few weeks (I have a few building issues and he looked after my cat whilst I was on holiday)

I swear to god he comes round now just to have a few sneaky fags

I gave up on 29th August this year after 20 years of very committed heavy smoking! What has really helped me is having an app on my phone that tots up how much money I've saved - I'm nearly at 100 days now and have saved over £600 already. And that is based on a conservative estimate of how much I was actually smoking - the real figure is probably nearer £800! Smoking is crazy expensive now and seeing myself come out of my overdraft for the first time in many years has been the motivation for me.

You can do it, OP!

Stopped and then avoided associated activity, in my case this was going to the pub, could still smoke in them then, for six months!

[Removed by poster at 29/11/17 20:59:26]

Every time I felt like having a smoke I had to do 20 pull ups, push ups, sit ups or squats. Usually after done a set the adrenaline subsided the craving for a while. Also got me back into keeping fit.

Had been smoking 14 years and haven't smoked in 2 years. Though the real key is convincing yourself you don't want to or like smoking.

In the years before I Reyes to quit with gums and ecigs etc . . . I found they just kept the thoughts of smoking in my head and always caved.

By *ebedee2009Man  over a year ago

South Croydon

Started smoking at the age of 12-nicking them-and gave up over a long weekend at the grand old age of 51.

A sadly departed friend introduced me to ecigs and I have never looked back, especially after the interesting specimens coughed up after quitting!

Took me 3 days to give up after almost 40 years so it can be done, and after subtracting costs of batteries, juice etc I reckon I'm at least £8 grand in the black.

"I'm not an ex smoker, but there's a book my Alan Carr (not the comedian) that I've known has helped people, I have the book not read yet though."

It's shit!

I just stopped 5 years ago . I do however smoke a bit of , I never have tobacco but I do still love the smell when someone has one . I'm never tempted though.

it'll be 18 months clean for me tomorrow ... i used a vape for 6 weeks reducing the nicotine from 21mg to 0mg .... when i got to day 3 of 0mg i realised i didn't need to vape anymore ... i have never felt the tug and the smell of smoking has become repellent ... i have put £60 a week in a jar the whole time and spent it on extra trips abroad every 4 months ... gran canaria in 6 weeks

Stopped cold turkey and swore I’d never smoke again. 8 years ago and I can safely say that I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to smoke again

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"Stopped cold turkey and swore I’d never smoke again. 8 years ago and I can safely say that I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to smoke again"

I stopped 20 years ago, and id start again right now if it wasn't for my will power.

» Add a new message to this topic