FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wind Farms

Wind Farms

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A lot of people find them ugly but I absolutely love to see them on the horizon. Theres a load of them near Tow Law driving over to the Wear Valley and I think they look so graceful. They are a bit spooky driving back over the dales in the dark - kind of like War of the Worlds but that just enhances their mystery to me.

We need renewable energy and I remember when tv aerials and phone lines and power cables on huge pylons were erected in times when people just wanted the new technology and didnt care if it was a blot on the ladscape.

There was nothing more ugly or downright dangerous than slag heaps created from the coalmines.

There are lots of objections to these windfarms because of how they look. But should the survival of the planet depend on 'what it looks like' to achieve safe clean reusable energy?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

No it shouldn't depend on what it looks like.

It should depend on whether it's economically viable.

Which wind farms are not.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

been to the eco center 350 step to the top was great vue.

"No it shouldn't depend on what it looks like.

Which wind farms are not."

Ive read the stats and the opinions and know the general rip off thats going to have to be funded by those of use unfortunate enough to live in the time period they are introduced, but we have to accept looking to the future is going to be costly in the here and now.

It will be a business like any other business.

I personally do not see why all new homes should be built with solar panels on them but this wont be compulsory because of revenue from oil is making the powers that be drag their heels.

Even the greedy will have to wake up soon and change will come about by desperation long after we are gone. We are living in a technological age and pay the price - same as miners paid the price for something that is no longer used.

Doesn't mean we dont have to stop trying to find renewable resources. None of them will ever be economical to the individual - we know we are cash cows. But the wind farms do produce electricity. Its business that makes it costly. Like everything else in this world.

"I personally do not see why all new homes should be built with solar panels on them but this wont be compulsory because of revenue from oil is making the powers that be drag their heels.

"

That of course is a typo and I meant shouldn't.

By *he BendoversCouple  over a year ago

Carlisle

It's a case of NIMBY "not in my back yard" with a lot of the people who protest against such things.

The only way forward at the moment as far as I can see is nuclear power. The recent events in Japan will have put the frighteners on people but I still think it's the only option that will cater for our ever growing demands for electricity. We really need to harness the power of the sea.

"No it shouldn't depend on what it looks like.

Which wind farms are not.

Ive read the stats and the opinions and know the general rip off thats going to have to be funded by those of use unfortunate enough to live in the time period they are introduced, but we have to accept looking to the future is going to be costly in the here and now.

It will be a business like any other business.

I personally do not see why all new homes should be built with solar panels on them but this wont be compulsory because of revenue from oil is making the powers that be drag their heels.

Even the greedy will have to wake up soon and change will come about by desperation long after we are gone. We are living in a technological age and pay the price - same as miners paid the price for something that is no longer used.

Doesn't mean we dont have to stop trying to find renewable resources. None of them will ever be economical to the individual - we know we are cash cows. But the wind farms do produce electricity. Its business that makes it costly. Like everything else in this world."

+1 simples

"It's a case of NIMBY "not in my back yard" with a lot of the people who protest against such things.

The only way forward at the moment as far as I can see is nuclear power. The recent events in Japan will have put the frighteners on people but I still think it's the only option that will cater for our ever growing demands for electricity. We really need to harness the power of the sea."

I've always been pro nuclear much to the hooror of a lot of my peers. Statistically it is safer. But when it goes tits up it really goes!

Can we ever be assured anything involving harnessing nature and power sources is ever going to be without loss of life and harm on a local level. I don't think so. Fatalities are life. Look at all of the people killed digging for flint hundreds and thousands of years ago fossilised in the caves...

Personally I really like the windfarms and look out of my back window on to 3 turbines off in the distance.

They are the future I feel and I think I read recently that the UK was the most affected country by wind in Europe (no not that wind!! lol)

Let's use our resources and go renewable.

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

Reliance on one energy source is too dangerous, so backing a variety is a good idea.

The gas/coal/oil sources are not going to get cheaper, thus having some wind built now seems a sensible thing.

Pro Nuclear, and if I was like some of the Japansese I would be moving back into the Fukishima area, perfect work for the older worker.

"

There was nothing more ugly or downright dangerous than slag heaps created from the coalmines.

"

coalmines didn't create slagheaps, steelworks did

British Coal found many ways to recycle the gypsum and silt brought up and washed away from coal post-mining, (our coal was/still is the best in the world; most of it exported) unlike imported trash where the sulphur and dross that we'd normally take out of the product was left in, like the kind you see on garage forecourts full of pitch and other benzine derivatives that is just bad for your health as your hearth hearth

In power stations where the coal was pulverised before instantaneous burn the ash was collected, and made into fletton blocks for building.

Steelwork slag left over from blasting containing cyanides and other undesirable by-products is a completely different animal entirely.

On farms where the farmer wishes to make a few more bob from his land, a wind turbine represents an ideal solution. A steady earner - I have no objections. Those that complain about the impact of such things have little thought for the benefits those devices bring, and the impact is minimal really - and that is fastly becoming tolerated - they're everywhere these days

Wolf

"

coalmines didn't create slagheaps, steelworks did

British Coal found many ways to recycle the gypsum and silt brought up and washed away from coal post-mining, (our coal was/still is the best in the world; most of it exported) unlike imported trash where the sulphur and dross that we'd normally take out of the product was left in, like the kind you see on garage forecourts full of pitch and other benzine derivatives that is just bad for your health as your hearth hearth

In power stations where the coal was pulverised before instantaneous burn the ash was collected, and made into fletton blocks for building.

Steelwork slag left over from blasting containing cyanides and other undesirable by-products is a completely different animal entirely.

On farms where the farmer wishes to make a few more bob from his land, a wind turbine represents an ideal solution. A steady earner - I have no objections. Those that complain about the impact of such things have little thought for the benefits those devices bring, and the impact is minimal really - and that is fastly becoming tolerated - they're everywhere these days

Wolf

"

Im sorry dialect clash. Anything in a huge pile from the coalmines is called a slagheap in Newcastle. I had never called it anything other than what it is called locally. Thanks for the education of different types of slagheap.

What amazes me about wind turbines is that they don't put them in places where the wind is almost gauranteed - like the valleys between hills, as we've all seen how the wind whistles down them almost continually. If we must build energy resources at sea then it seems pretty crazy not to make them so that they harness the power of the ocean instead of the wind.

Sooner or later we're going to run so low of fossil fuels that restrictions on it's use will be forced upon us. Industry needs it for want of a more reliable bountiful source and that's why I think we're seeing a new evolution of cars on our forecourts to try and start reducing our everyday reliance on oil.

I shall be going into the solar panel industry once I've completed my training as that's where the biggest growth market will be in the foreseeable future plus it coincides with my own views on the use of oil/gas (plus the absolute rip-off prices the petrol and utlity companies are charging us grrrrr). Every home in the UK pays towards the govt's feed in tarrif whether they have solar panels or not. It represents £10 on the bills of every home with electricity.

Is that unfair? Some would say it is, but we have to start reducing our carbon footprint as well as reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and in the current economical climate the govt cannot afford to offer incentives to get people to install PV arrays as well as reduce the national debt.

It's all linked together and we have to get to grips with it and make it a priority or our grandchildren will pay the price for not doing so.

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Modern grandchildren are very demanding.

I don't expect mine to be born for at least a decade and yet I'm expected to make make lifestyle changes just so they won't have to 'pay the price' when they grow up.

All I wanted from my Grandad was 50p and some sweets.

"Modern grandchildren are very demanding.

I don't expect mine to be born for at least a decade and yet I'm expected to make make lifestyle changes just so they won't have to 'pay the price' when they grow up.

All I wanted from my Grandad was 50p and some sweets."

50p then equates to £5 now. A magazine costs £2.50-£3 and then you got a sweet treat of some description - 70p-£1, a bottle of pop - £1. Not much is it.

My £1 pocket money got me a comic, and enough sweets to keep me in nirvana for the rest of the day while mum and dad went shopping.

i work in the renewable energy industry and the wind turbines are shit. They cost more than they generate. Just a waste of time. They have few places to site in which they suit. You need a cons and low level breeze. Nailing them up on hills spins em too fast and they dont like it. The future is solar, wether its pv or heat generation. Any new build from 2015 will have these fitted as no fossil fueled source of heating will be allowed. Other than electric for ground and air source, which in my experience is excelent, expensive, but not in the long run. Its all good stuff but very much in its infantcey. How it will be in 5 years time, can only be better.

"

Im sorry dialect clash. Anything in a huge pile from the coalmines is called a slagheap in Newcastle. I had never called it anything other than what it is called locally. Thanks for the education of different types of slagheap.

"

no worries...know what ya mean

Wolf

The link is too an interesting read:- regards the statistical values of various forms of alternative energy including wind power

http://renewable.50webs.com/

However I'm keeping my fingers crossed we crack Fusion reaction sooner rather than later

Fusion reactors have been getting a lot of press recently because they offer some major advantages over other power sources. They will use abundant sources of fuel, they will not leak radiation above normal background levels and they will produce less radioactive waste than current fission reactors.

Nobody has put the technology into practice yet, but working reactors are hopefully not that far off. Fusion reactors are now in experimental stages at several laboratories in the United States and around the world.

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two nuclei are made to join together forming a larger nucleus and releasing more energy then the amount need to fuel the process. Nuclear fusion is the energy source which causes stars to shine.. Nuclear fusion energy source has several advantages: Fuel sources for the process are abundantly plentiful; Inherently safe, and there is no atmospheric pollution produced when manufacturing the energy and only very small amounts of easily managed waste product to deal with.

"Modern grandchildren are very demanding.

All I wanted from my Grandad was 50p and some sweets.

50p then equates to £5 now. A magazine costs £2.50-£3 and then you got a sweet treat of some description - 70p-£1, a bottle of pop - £1. Not much is it.

My £1 pocket money got me a comic, and enough sweets to keep me in nirvana for the rest of the day while mum and dad went shopping."

A quid! A whole quid! My two half crowns (5 shillings, 25p) got me to the morning cinema matinee on the bus, where I could have an everlasting strip of toffee (not allowed under trades description now) throughout the show and a drink of kiaora. bus home, collected my swimming things back on the bus then in the pool for a few hours. Out to a bag of potato puffs. Walk home via shop for some sweets and a superman comic (we got the beano dandy bunty and later the jackie delivered as an extra to pocket money)

My granda dug coal for about £4 quid a week back then. Now wonder all we got was a stick of rhubarb and a bag of sugar from him!

By *oDownEasyMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

I think they look pretty, our town has 2 at a local secondary school and 2 at our Sainsbury's

if i could have some mini ones that looked all colourful like bigger windmills id go for them :D

"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

"

Its ages since we had a you were luckier than me thread - go on - start one off .....

» Add a new message to this topic