FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gratuities... getting smaller?

Gratuities... getting smaller?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have had to get several taxis today due to a mishap on the roads but I was so stunned at the cost of the smallest of trips that I have been a bit cheap on the tipping front.

I know the service industry is typically a poorly paid occupation but I find things have gone up so much I can't afford to be as generous as I want to be. I feel mean spirited but have to be realistic. I always tip the hairdresser well though - you can't afford to have her riled!

Have you cut back on tipping due to rising costs or have you never tipped or are you tipping just the same?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I have not stopped tipping as I find that a good service deserves acknowledgment and many jobs rely on the tips. If I can afford to eat out I feel I can afford to tip...just as one example.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I have had to get several taxis today due to a mishap on the roads but I was so stunned at the cost of the smallest of trips that I have been a bit cheap on the tipping front.

I know the service industry is typically a poorly paid occupation but I find things have gone up so much I can't afford to be as generous as I want to be. I feel mean spirited but have to be realistic. I always tip the hairdresser well though - you can't afford to have her riled!

Have you cut back on tipping due to rising costs or have you never tipped or are you tipping just the same? "

"Never enter an arse kicking contest with a hedgehog," - best tip I have really

P xxx

"I have not stopped tipping as I find that a good service deserves acknowledgment and many jobs rely on the tips. If I can afford to eat out I feel I can afford to tip...just as one example."

mmm aphro...id love to give u my tip....

i'm rather lucky then as my clients seem to be being more generous of late but then i've not put my prices up for 5 years they might get tighter with them if i popped them up any time soon

"I have not stopped tipping as I find that a good service deserves acknowledgment and many jobs rely on the tips. If I can afford to eat out I feel I can afford to tip...just as one example.

mmm aphro...id love to give u my tip...."

mmm I never said I would nt accept a tip either?;-)

"I have not stopped tipping as I find that a good service deserves acknowledgment and many jobs rely on the tips. If I can afford to eat out I feel I can afford to tip...just as one example."

Yes that's what I've always believed as I worked in restaurants when I was at college. But for good service not all service as a matter of course.

Just taking it sideways a little there are times when I never tip. The salon I go to for pampering - its a one man band sort of set up and the owner does all of the treatments and I think traditionally it was the trainee who got tipped or the 'apprentice' never the owners.

My daughter in law works in a restaurant and all of the tips are put in a jar and the owner gets a share! I find that pure greed. Owners are making a profit so shouldnt take from tip jar, in my opinion.

"I have had to get several taxis today due to a mishap on the roads but I was so stunned at the cost of the smallest of trips that I have been a bit cheap on the tipping front.

Have you cut back on tipping due to rising costs or have you never tipped or are you tipping just the same? "

I know a lot are suffering from lack of tips as i have a friend who is a driver. Its hard as fuel has gone up too so they re getting squeezed from both ends.

"

My daughter in law works in a restaurant and all of the tips are put in a jar and the owner gets a share! I find that pure greed. Owners are making a profit so shouldnt take from tip jar, in my opinion."

I agree - that is (in my view) not the spirit of tips.

Tips are taxed these days and we are getting to more of a thing with service charge included the minimum wage sorted that.

sorry lifes a struggle as it is, however....when people start to think they deserve a tip for just doing their job, thats when i have a problem...a tip is for going that extra mile for a customer.

"Tips are taxed these days and we are getting to more of a thing with service charge included the minimum wage sorted that."

Good grief - I didn't realise that. But how is it going to be monitored? Nobody is going to give a true figure if its cash?

Here's a tip for ya...

never put a light bulb in ya back pocket...

Devil

[Removed by poster at 13/09/11 19:27:34]

I never tip. I pay the rate as advertised for whatever I'm buying and if the employees delivering that product or service aren't earning at least the minimum wage that they should be earning, as defined by law, then more fool them. It's not my responsibility to subsidise wages that are not paid by tight-fisted employers, and it only encourages them to keep paying their employees low rates of pay.

I used to be a stupidly generous tipper, i once made a waitress's Christmas by giving her a $50 tip twice... to be fair it was an accident as i forgot that the tip came off my card and i tipped her in cash too,it was worth it to see her face though, probably suckered in by a sob story about her being a single mum and she was on the end of a twelve hour split shift.

Unfortunately i can barely afford to eat out let alone tip these days

I've not changed my tipping habits, I never gave anybody anything and I still give them nothing

That's not true really

» Add a new message to this topic