FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Anything you can do...

Anything you can do...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

.... pah! I'm a victim of my own I can do that attitude. Wanted to remove my gel toenails at home because salon charges £10 for the same thing. Wrapped my toenails in acetone soaked pads,covered whole of feet in baco foil and sealed - ten mins later nothing has happened. What secret bit did I miss out in the process?

Are you an 'Ill give that a go type and if so what mishaps have you gotten yourself into? Or do you leave it all to the experts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ickstartmyheart103Man  over a year ago

near the east coast

Gas mark 10 for 20 mins?

By *ittlemorespiceCouple  over a year ago

North Cornwall

".... pah! I'm a victim of my own I can do that attitude. Wanted to remove my gel toenails at home because salon charges £10 for the same thing. Wrapped my toenails in acetone soaked pads,covered whole of feet in baco foil and sealed - ten mins later nothing has happened. What secret bit did I miss out in the process?

Are you an 'Ill give that a go type and if so what mishaps have you gotten yourself into? Or do you leave it all to the experts? "

lol still trying to understand why you cant just grow your own

".... pah! I'm a victim of my own I can do that attitude. Wanted to remove my gel toenails at home because salon charges £10 for the same thing. Wrapped my toenails in acetone soaked pads,covered whole of feet in baco foil and sealed - ten mins later nothing has happened. What secret bit did I miss out in the process?

Are you an 'Ill give that a go type and if so what mishaps have you gotten yourself into? Or do you leave it all to the experts?

lol still trying to understand why you cant just grow your own "

They are my own nails (why would nayone want extensions on their toes?) Its the polish that is the gel formula aka everlasting polish but had to change the name due to nothing being everlasting. Once applied the gel dries instantly under ultra violet light in salon so don't smudge like ordinary polish. You get regrowth before the polish wears off its that effective. But can't be removed by ordinary nail polish hence the rigmarole Im having

"Gas mark 10 for 20 mins?"

Hah! Good idea but I've applied some heat with the hairdryer now to see if thats the missing ingredient

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I thought acetone didnt remove gel, just acrylic? Not sure though...

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I wish they did do false nails for toes, as I had my big toe nails surgically removed years ago and therefore cannot paint my toe nails

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I'm only 15 mins away mon Peti Pois, I shall bring my 'fixing hammer'.

"I wish they did do false nails for toes, as I had my big toe nails surgically removed years ago and therefore cannot paint my toe nails"

You can get temp nails once the skin on your nail bed has hardened Yve xxx You can only keep them on for 24 hours though as the heat from your skin will melt the glue. Ok for a temp fix on those special occasions xxx

"I'm only 15 mins away mon Peti Pois, I shall bring my 'fixing hammer'."

15 mins away? Have you moved? I like a distance of 30 mins - its less traumatic.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

First, you need to be sure of exactly what type of nails you have. So, when you had your nails applied, did the technician use ANY liquid and powder in the process - as they would for acrylic nails? If so, did the tech finish the job by applying a single layer of 'gel' over the surface of the nails and then cure it under a UV lamp? If so, then you don't have gel nails. You have acrylic nails with a UV gel topcoat. Big difference between the two.

If you had UV gel nails applied, the tech would apply UV nail gel to your nails in several thin layers. Each individual layer must be cured under a UV lamp for 2 minutes before the next layer can be applied. This application process is usually completed by the application of a UV gel topcoat, or a UV gel sealer. Both of these must also be cured. If THIS is what you had done, then you do have gel nails.

If you have real gel nails as I just described, and NO liquid and powder was used during the application, than the UV gels cannot be soaked off. UV gel nails are non-porous. This means that they are not soakable because nothing will penetrate the surface of the nail. In this case, they must be filed off by a highly skilled tech because an unskilled tech can easily ruin your natural nails by filing all the way through the gel, and into your nails too. Its not easy to remove gels, and do a good job at it. Thats why you would need a highly skilled tech to do it for you. And you are right - you cannot rip them off. Nor should you pry them off, or tear them off. Never use any force to remove either acrylic, or gel nails because doing so WILL cause damage to your natural nails, sometimes severely damaging them. And do not let a tech do this either. There is no 'proper' way to force your nails off. Period.

Since you were able to soak your last set off, and it took 2-3 hours to remove them by soaking them in pure acetone, I am guessing that you had acrylic nails with a UV gel topcoat applied to them, and not real gel nails. I say this because it just makes sense to me. The top layer of gel is thin, and over time, the acetone would work its way under the nail and soften the acrylic, and the gel topcoat would come off only because the underlying acrylic is beginning to loosen. But, this would take, um, about 2-3 hours to happen. Coincidence? Not really.

If this is the case, then what you need to do is this: Get yourself a good nail file of about 150-180 grit - NOT an emery board, but a real nail file and gently file the UV gel topcoat off of your acrylic nails. Gel files easily, so it should not take you very long to do this. Don't be too aggressive with the file, just fently file away the UV gel topcoat on all your nails. Make sure you get it all off. Get into the sides of your nails, and by the cuticle area as well really good. Then, you can soak the remaning acrylic off. It will not take 10 minutes. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. Acrylic normally takes a minimum of 20-25 minutes to soak off. The longer, the better actually. Its best to try to soak them for about a half hour, then remove the acrylic by either wiping the softened acrylic off with a clean paper towel, or by scraping it off with an orange stick. Again, do not force it off. If its not coming all the way off, jsut be patient, and soak them some more for about another 5-10 minutes, and try again. You should have no problem removing them once the UV gel topcoat has been removed, and nothing but the acrylic is left.

Now, you may insist that you have gel nails because that is what you asked for, and that is what the tech told you they were, but remember - gel is NEVER a powder. If the tech used any liquid and powder, you have acrylic nails. Plain and simple. By adding a UV geltopcoat, acrylic nails do not become gel nails. They are still acrylic nails, and I am betting that is what you have based on your description of them.

BTW, just so you can be sure, here is what real UV nail gel looks like:

http://www. cnd.com/Home/homelink- consumer- Brisa-Gel. aspx

(since the links don't seem to be working lately, remove the three spaces that I put into the address. Then copy and paste into your browser. I did this just to make the entire address appear without ending in .....)

Notice it is a gel, not a powder. Some techs will even try to tell you that its 'powder gel.' There is no such thing as powder gel. A gel is a gel. Period.

Anyway, good luck to you.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple  over a year ago

North Cornwall

lol still trying to understand why you cant just grow your own

They are my own nails (why would nayone want extensions on their toes?) Its the polish that is the gel formula aka everlasting polish but had to change the name due to nothing being everlasting. Once applied the gel dries instantly under ultra violet light in salon so don't smudge like ordinary polish. You get regrowth before the polish wears off its that effective. But can't be removed by ordinary nail polish hence the rigmarole Im having "

Oh gawd. Sounds like a right performance. Good luck with it! If thats what they use and it didnt work maybe they use a light on it too? If not it must be industial strength remover... either way you are f...ked! Not for the first time on Fab I guess.

in the night garden

"I'm only 15 mins away mon Peti Pois, I shall bring my 'fixing hammer'.

15 mins away? Have you moved? I like a distance of 30 mins - its less traumatic. "

I have a REALLY fast brum brum.

No powder just gel varnish from the bottle advertised as gel nails in the marketting bumph. Applied in thin layers (one clear, two coloured and one clear top coat all dried under the lamp as you describe.

I have never soaked off before - salpn did it using same the method I am using now but must be because she is an experienced nail technician and Im not. I do know my shortcomings and also do know gel from acrylic. I have never had false nails on my fingers before as I have long natural nails. Just this gel nail polish on my toes.

Thanks for extensive response much appreciated.

whooo hoo its coming off as Ive applied the heat!!!!!

15 mins away? Have you moved? I like a distance of 30 mins - its less traumatic.

I have a REALLY fast brum brum."

Gonna have to set the challenge now - yours to mine in 15 mins - I say not possible.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

did you put the acetone into glass bowl and then into another bowl of hot water first, as u have to heat the acetone. xx

in the night garden

Gonna have to set the challenge now - yours to mine in 15 mins - I say not possible."

Ermmmmmm I reckon 25 is do-able. I may have been talking bollox with 15. (I know, it's not like me at all)

"did you put the acetone into glass bowl and then into another bowl of hot water first, as u have to heat the acetone. xx"

Its all off apart from a tiny pink patch on my right big toe - its more of a stain though. Perhaps she missed a bit of the basecoat when applying and its bled through.

I used hairdryer then had a better brainwave, got out a convector heater and put it under my desk - it all came off in flakes into the baco foil so not messy in the end.

As one poster put patience is the best solution!

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Gonna have to set the challenge now - yours to mine in 15 mins - I say not possible.

Ermmmmmm I reckon 25 is do-able. I may have been talking bollox with 15. (I know, it's not like me at all)"

and a faster time machine, actually you could arrive before you leave

Ermmmmmm I reckon 25 is do-able. I may have been talking bollox with 15. (I know, it's not like me at all)"

Ive just framed this and put it on the wall.

I had lovely long nails with gel protection......but...... as soon as I was on holiday and applied suntan lotion it made the gel go all soft and lift off the nails.

Try suntan lotion!

i wish my little toe nails would grow or do something.. i kinda have to paint the skin to make it look like i have little toe nails

in the night garden

"i wish my little toe nails would grow or do something.. i kinda have to paint the skin to make it look like i have little toe nails"

Freak.

"I had lovely long nails with gel protection......but...... as soon as I was on holiday and applied suntan lotion it made the gel go all soft and lift off the nails.

Try suntan lotion! "

OOOOH a bit late but filed away for future reference xxxxxx

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

i know this is totally out there,like crazy man.

you could try using ordinary nail polish,next time.

logic and peace man.\/

» Add a new message to this topic