FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dog walking / Dog sitting services

Dog walking / Dog sitting services

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have been considering getting a dog for a few months now.

The thing that keeps me from biting the bullet is that I am out of the house from 7am to 5.30pm most days and wouldn't want to leave a dog that long.

I have space adjoining the house where the dog could have fresh air, cover and an area to roam around in so it wouldn't be 'locked in the house' all day.

I thought about getting 2 so they had 'company' but remain unconvinced.

Does (or has) anyone ever used the services of a dog walker / dog sitter / doggy daycare ?

If so, what are your experiences (good or bad)? How much do they cost ? How much commitment do you have to give them ?

I have been brought up with dogs and I do miss not having one around, but when I have had them in the past, there was always someone at home some (if not all)of the day.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I use a kennel to look after mine the days I am working in the office... costs me £15 per day. They get walked, feed and played with 4/5 a day.

I drop them off at 7am and pick them up at 8pm.

I like your sentiment, I also thought long and hard about getting them... but I decided I would do well by them... and I do try.

good luck..

they are my first ever dogs... and they have given me more than I have given them.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

fed*

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

my honest reply, would be consider it carefully. Think about the breed that your looking at getting and make sure you can offer the dogs everything they need.

Dog walkers in edinburgh are roughly about £3 per walk (20 minutes), dog sitters come in about £15 per day

By *icboyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I have two dog both rescue dogs.

I only got them because I knew that I can take them to work with me.

They love being with me at work.

I do use a sitter/walker when I need to be out the office.

What ever you decide to do needs to be done with great thought.

Good luck.

Thanks folks

I'm not gonna jump into things without having plans and contingencies in place.

I work mon to fri and work in a shared office complex, so no chance of bringing a dog in with me.

£75 a week for a full day kennel service would be prohibitive on the cost front - that's knocking 4 grand a year - eeek !

Looks like I'll be waiting til my retirement before I get myself another little fluffy pal then

Im gonna get my sprout hopefully in november...but i will have the time to walk her

why not just walk your friends dogs or neighbours dogs?

Wouldn't cost you anything plus you get most of the benefits, or why not ask a mate or neighbour if they could accomodate your dog with theirs if you got one, and you could share the walking and caring duties.

"why not just walk your friends dogs or neighbours dogs?

Wouldn't cost you anything plus you get most of the benefits, or why not ask a mate or neighbour if they could accomodate your dog with theirs if you got one, and you could share the walking and caring duties."

none of my friends or family have got dogs and i don't speak to any neighbour apart from the guy next door who is dogless too.

walking them isnt an issue and is actually part of the reason i would quite like one.

i go out walking in all sorts of weathers anyway of an evening and weekend, so having a little mate join me would be cool

as i said, my only reservation is the prospect of leaving a dog on it's own all day. i know plenty of people do it, but i can't help but think it's a bit 'cruel' (please don't read that as neglect cos that isn't the case. i just think dogs are pack animals and a solitary existance for 10/11 hours a day, 5 days a week isn't a good plan)

By *edditchcpl69Couple  over a year ago

REDDITCH

we have always had dogs, both of us as kids and now we are together, mainly due to the fact that hubbi used to be a police dog handler. we have had german sheperds and 1 rottie, the rottie was brilliant didnt need the home kennel for her she was so much a family dog that she lived inside with us, but come work time would change into the devil

she died 3 yrs ago from cancer and hubbi came out of the police due to medical reasons.

we said from that point on we would never have another dog, but 4 weeks ago we found out a parsons jack russel needed rehoming. we talked about it and decided to go and have look( stupid mistake lol) he was very aggresive where he was due to the amount of animals the other ppl had and he has lost one of his fangs where he has been kicked by somebody.

he is now a fantastic dog living with us and has so much love for all of us, we are really glad we have another one now

» Add a new message to this topic