FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bad Spelling and Text Talk

Bad Spelling and Text Talk

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it enough to put you off messaging someone seeking a meet?

Be that in reply to their message or making the initial message yourself.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Text talk in any form annoys me....i find it lazy if im honest.

[Removed by poster at 01/09/11 22:54:30]

"Text talk in any form annoys me....i find it lazy if im honest. "

answa th bludi Qstn woman.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

dt no wot ur on bt

i mail some one the other day, and she told me off for using text speak: when i had never did.

Then said lol i ask what that was an told me i was cheeky

Forum Mod

Possibly not bad spelling if the content of what the message is saying is quite clear and grabs my attention

Text speak yes,I hate it in messages, unless im being sent a text I don't want to read text speak

I just find poor diction, spelling and grammar off putting, and text speak, plain lazy!

"I just find poor diction, spelling and grammar off putting, and text speak, plain lazy!"
could not agree more;

tend to stay away from them now

Hate poor grammar and spelling

. But we all make mestakes!!! - I'll kill that trypist lol

"I just find poor diction, spelling and grammar off putting, and text speak, plain lazy!"

Agree

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

I dislike bad spelling and grammar, unfortunately it is normally when it's my own mistakes that I hate it most! But I do accept that we all make mistakes and it is NOT a deal breaker in any sphere of my life.

Text speak? I do not care if the typist is the most intelligent person in the world. The sexiest. The dirtiest. or anything else. Text speak anywhere other than a mobile phone from the 90's is lazy! We ignore mails, posts and profiles that have Text speak!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't like text speak so I wouldn't try and figure out what it said.

spelling is not that bad now since i installed the spell checker add on lol

Rushden

"spelling is not that bad now since i installed the spell checker add on lol"

I know, thank heavens for technology!

"spelling is not that bad now since i installed the spell checker add on lol

I know, thank heavens for technology! "

just don't come on when your d*unk lol

I hate text chat

By *ue de RemarquesMan  over a year ago

Southampton

Good to know you all have such high standards on here. I've clearly landed in the right place!

It sends my eyes funny!! Seriously though i think it depends on how much text speak someone uses in a message, if it is just a little bit i don't mind so much

wht ar we tkin abt

single fems would agree that when you get so many messages, takeing the extra time to desipher what its saying is more waste of time.

i like to meet people that i can have a decent conversation with and this creates the wrong impression of that so i just dont even bother looking at their profile.

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

Even if it was my one message a month, I would delete it if full of text speak.

Even on twitter I type in full, and even like now when on my phone.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I tend to agree on this.

Bad grammar, spelling and so on are signs of laziness; text speak is off putting such that even when I send text messages, I type in full.

The problem is a lot of people rely on their Spell Checker. That is OK to a degree, but generally it is foolish to do so all the time, as the vast majority of these are set for American English, and usually, the updates for Spell Checkers are a year behind reality!

There are also generations of people these days who consider that text speak is the norm; that it is commonplace to use it in everyday situations, even at work, for official documents and so on.

Sadly, it has the opposite effect. UK business loses over £41M worth of work each year due to poor grammar, spelling, punctuation and text speak; potential customers lack confidence in the culprit companies and move on to competitors.

"wht ar we tkin abt"
ach eck i dunno

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

It's actually cool to spell things wrong in threads on porpoise to make people angry.

It's a form of micro trolling.

Spelling mistakes and poor grammar do not bother me too much as I know some people do make errors due to various reasons.

Text speak puts me off if I'm trying to read a message or someones profile... it smacks immaturity to me. No apologies.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

spelling... no... if they have made an effort and get some of them wrong, I don't begrudge anyone.. I have a maths degree and I think that my spelling sometimes is pants...

text speak... yes... that has made up my mind as to whether to reply to people on here, I think that does smack of laziness quite frankly looks awful

can I also extend to profiles that to the CAPITAL LETTERS ALL THE WAY THROUGH thing as well... cause that drives me nuts.. and it looks awful as well....

and since I am on a roll... the warnings thing gets on my goat as well.....

signed...

grumpy old man

tyneside!!!!

some females do use the caps lock not the reason for shouting;

its to get the message across to certain males or couples who don't read there profile fully

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Bad spelling - No doesn't put us off meeting someone.

Text talk: If a profile or email is full of it, then we tend to ignore and move on. I can't understand most of it and to be honest, I don't want to.

"Is it enough to put you off messaging someone seeking a meet?

Be that in reply to their message or making the initial message yourself."

Yes unless they look stunning and i will struggle through

Bad spelling doesnt bother me. Maybe because im not a great speller.

Grammar...It annoys me when people dont use capital letters or full stops. Espically in profiles. Its just one big mass of words, so I tend to skip.

Text speak, the odd word doesnt annoy, but a message full of text speak, I tend not understand.

Rightly or wrongly i tend to associate text speak or words as something rather juvenile

Hence writer is somewhat juvenile ...

Bothers me not a jot

In fact I find the snobbery surrounding it much more annoying as it goes, winds me up a treat so I really should stop opening such threads as it just makes me want to grab me soapbox but on my phone right now which slows my ranting ability right down so you'll be grateful to hear ya getting let off today

Tell ya why it bothers me..........

Its cuz i dont fffing understand it.

Bad spelling & grammar is annoying, but everyone makes the odd typo & someone may not be able to help it due to dyslexia, so I can look past that.

Txt speak, however is a completely different matter. If you are too lazy to even attempt to write in English I'll be too lazy to reply!

My neice sends me a text which says

WUU2

And i think WOT?

I have the tendency to think ahead faster than my fingers will type, so sometimes I miss words out. Sometimes I also type a word that sounds like the word I am meaning to type. Its not that I cant spell it, dont know why I do it really.

Im not good with text speak as Im too old for it, I like to write things longhand and use lots of words. If a profile was written in text speak, or a message sent to me solely written in text speak then I would ignore it.

Equally I get irritated by the people who swallow the dictionery, those who, to argue a point, use longer and longer words in an attempt to 'out-intelligence' the person whom they have a differing opinion too. I try to use language that I know everyone understands because I dont want anyone to misinterpret or not understand what I have to say.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'm seldom irritated by messages of any kind...

King's Crustacean

Come to think of it ..

Nothing irritates me.

personally i couldnt give a fuck

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

No. As long as what they are saying makes sense and they are not a thick twat.

I would sooner someone type something of interest in a less than perfect style, than have someone type a pile of shite correctly.

By *ex.IncCouple  over a year ago

Castleford

Poor spelling is a turn off for us, with text type it takes us a long time to try and decipher it.

I always write properly, but txt speak doesn't put me off someone. I think judging someone on their spelling, grammer, puctuation is shallow. After all the person messaging you could be a very nice and end up been a good friend or a cracking meet or both. But can understand why people find it annoying.

"I always write properly, but txt speak doesn't put me off someone. I think judging someone on their spelling, grammer, puctuation is shallow. After all the person messaging you could be a very nice and end up been a good friend or a cracking meet or both. But can understand why people find it annoying."

yeah i was turned away from a tasty gangbang cos i spoked textedly

"I always write properly, but txt speak doesn't put me off someone. I think judging someone on their spelling, grammer, puctuation is shallow. After all the person messaging you could be a very nice and end up been a good friend or a cracking meet or both. But can understand why people find it annoying.

yeah i was turned away from a tasty gangbang cos i spoked textedly"

sowwwwy i mispelled tasty...I meant nasty

Lisburn

In all honesty i really dont care if someone can spell or use the correct grammar, as some people can find it difficult on put into writing what they mean(me for one) so i can understand this. Its nothing to do with laziness, just hard to express oneself in writing form, i have often had to change something i wanted to say as i couldnt spell something correctly and had to find another word that i could, this can be frustrating at times. Speaking to a person is different, i have no qualms there

As for text speak, yes i sometimes use it chat, as the chat can go so fast at times.

I hve a speelchecger soo I dint hav probleems wi speelingss gooogle speeel checkeeer isss acce Andy woks sooo weele xx

Lisburn

"I hve a speelchecger soo I dint hav probleems wi speelingss gooogle speeel checkeeer isss acce Andy woks sooo weele xx "

lol i understood every word of that

"I hve a speelchecger soo I dint hav probleems wi speelingss gooogle speeel checkeeer isss acce Andy woks sooo weele xx

lol i understood every word of that "

Well I wrote it and don't a fookin clue what it says xx

Text speak really aggitates me. I can understand abbreviation, and of course poor spelling from those dyslexic types.

But most of the time its just incoherant rubbish!

"In all honesty i really dont care if someone can spell or use the correct grammar, as some people can find it difficult on put into writing what they mean(me for one) so i can understand this. Its nothing to do with laziness, just hard to express oneself in writing form, i have often had to change something i wanted to say as i couldnt spell something correctly and had to find another word that i could, this can be frustrating at times. Speaking to a person is different, i have no qualms there

As for text speak, yes i sometimes use it chat, as the chat can go so fast at times."

translated for us texttalkers:

n ll onesty i realy dont care f sum1 cn spel or uz d crrct gramA, as sum ppl cn fnd it diFicult on put N2 ritN w@ dey mean(me 4 one) so i cn undRst& dis. Its Ø 2 do W laziness, jst hrd 2 Xpr$ oneself n ritN 4m, Ive ofn had2 chng somit i wtd 2 sA as i couldnt spel somit correctly n had2 fnd nothA wrd dat i cUd, dis cn B frustrating @ tyms. spkg 2 a pRsN S diFrent, Ive no qualms der As 4 txt spk, yes i sumtyms uz it ch@, as d ch@ cn go so fst @ tyms

I'm a bit of a pedant usually in this area (I have to be... It's what I'm educated and trained to do

I have to admit that if I receive a message written entirely in text it tells me a lot about that person. I have no issue with the odd spelling error or grammatical error - I won't get my red pen out...

But if somebody really can't put the effort in on a message... Then I'm likely to ignore.

All text speak, to me, can indicate laziness ... Do I want someone lazy in bed? Hell no!

I hate 'lol' but have ended up using it from time to time because 'in context' it can work - and that's the thing - all language is appropriate 'in context' so in an informal text or email it's fine.

But if you are contacting someone you don't know for the first time on a premise of getting sex.... It's very impolite to act as if they are your best buddy. Also I want to know I am going to 'click' with them.... If the paid that little attention to their education I'm unlikely to!!

Like I said - I don't expect perfection (lord knows J has some brilliant spelling errors...) but if they have taken the time to write something lucid and coherent they are more likely to get a response from me!!

Lisburn

"In all honesty i really dont care if someone can spell or use the correct grammar, as some people can find it difficult on put into writing what they mean(me for one) so i can understand this. Its nothing to do with laziness, just hard to express oneself in writing form, i have often had to change something i wanted to say as i couldnt spell something correctly and had to find another word that i could, this can be frustrating at times. Speaking to a person is different, i have no qualms there

As for text speak, yes i sometimes use it chat, as the chat can go so fast at times.

n ll onesty i realy dont care f sum1 cn spel or uz d crrct gramA, as sum ppl cn fnd it diFicult on put N2 ritN w@ dey mean(me 4 one) so i cn undRst& dis. Its Ø 2 do W laziness, jst hrd 2 Xpr$ oneself n ritN 4m, Ive ofn had2 chng somit i wtd 2 sA as i couldnt spel somit correctly n had2 fnd nothA wrd dat i cUd, dis cn B frustrating @ tyms. spkg 2 a pRsN S diFrent, Ive no qualms der As 4 txt spk, yes i sumtyms uz it ch@, as d ch@ cn go so fst @ tyms"

cheers paddy

I find criticising someone for bad spelling is a cheap shot. I always assume some of them might just be bad typists who don't check their spelling.

Text Speak...Hate it and can't be arsed to read or decipher it, So we don't

I know both my spelling and grammar are bad and that doesn't bother me when I see it on here unless someone tries to come across as the big I am, text talk however I don't like as I just don't understand it.

"All text speak, to me, can indicate laziness ... Do I want someone lazy in bed? Hell no!"

this statement surely just does not make any sense whatsoever, sorry poster.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

n ll onesty i realy dont care f sum1 cn spel or uz d crrct gramA, as sum ppl cn fnd it diFicult on put N2 ritN w@ dey mean(me 4 one) so i cn undRst& dis. Its Ø 2 do W laziness, jst hrd 2 Xpr$ oneself n ritN 4m, Ive ofn had2 chng somit i wtd 2 sA as i couldnt spel somit correctly n had2 fnd nothA wrd dat i cUd, dis cn B frustrating @ tyms. spkg 2 a pRsN S diFrent, Ive no qualms der As 4 txt spk, yes i sumtyms uz it ch@, as d ch@ cn go so fst @ tyms"

F*&k me, that hurts the eyes !

King's Crustacean

"Text speak really aggitates me. I can understand abbreviation, and of course poor spelling from those dyslexic types.

But most of the time its just incoherant rubbish!"

It's incoherrent...

King's Crustacean

Oh I say chaps! There's one of those dyslexic types.

n ll onesty i realy dont care f sum1 cn spel or uz d crrct gramA, as sum ppl cn fnd it diFicult on put N2 ritN w@ dey mean(me 4 one) so i cn undRst& dis. Its Ø 2 do W laziness, jst hrd 2 Xpr$ oneself n ritN 4m, Ive ofn had2 chng somit i wtd 2 sA as i couldnt spel somit correctly n had2 fnd nothA wrd dat i cUd, dis cn B frustrating @ tyms. spkg 2 a pRsN S diFrent, Ive no qualms der As 4 txt spk, yes i sumtyms uz it ch@, as d ch@ cn go so fst @ tyms

F*&k me, that hurts the eyes ! "

w@ ya gonna do bout it??? A??? clse d thread?? A???!??! lol xx

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I could pretend my finger slipped

"I could pretend my finger slipped "

mmmm right up yer front crack xxxx

King's Crustacean

"I'm a bit of a pedant usually in this area (I have to be... It's what I'm educated and trained to do

I have to admit that if I receive a message written entirely in text it tells me a lot about that person. I have no issue with the odd spelling error or grammatical error - I won't get my red pen out...

But if somebody really can't put the effort in on a message... Then I'm likely to ignore.

All text speak, to me, can indicate laziness ... Do I want someone lazy in bed? Hell no!

I hate 'lol' but have ended up using it from time to time because 'in context' it can work - and that's the thing - all language is appropriate 'in context' so in an informal text or email it's fine.

But if you are contacting someone you don't know for the first time on a premise of getting sex.... It's very impolite to act as if they are your best buddy. Also I want to know I am going to 'click' with them.... If the paid that little attention to their education I'm unlikely to!!

Like I said - I don't expect perfection (lord knows J has some brilliant spelling errors...) but if they have taken the time to write something lucid and coherent they are more likely to get a response from me!! "

I sincerely hope this is a joke that I have misunderstood because if you are responsible for providing feedback on written English we are all FKN DMD!

"I'm a bit of a pedant usually in this area (I have to be... It's what I'm educated and trained to do

Like I said - I don't expect perfection (lord knows J has some brilliant spelling errors...) but if they have taken the time to write something lucid and coherent they are more likely to get a response from me!!

I sincerely hope this is a joke that I have misunderstood because if you are responsible for providing feedback on written English we are all FKN DMD!"

Doooomed!

what i really hate is black guys who spell how they talk

putting words like, dat, dem, tat etc

i just want to point out i have nothing against black guys i just like ones who can spell correctly

i live in dudley but i dont put words like yam and am in my messages

King's Crustacean

I tell ya Laine I tell Ya ..... Dmd!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I could pretend my finger slipped

mmmm right up yer front crack xxxx"

"what i really hate is black guys who spell how they talk

i just want to point out i have nothing against black guys i just like ones who can spell correctly

i live in dudley but i dont put words like yam and am in my messages "

hey! am black and am sco'ish yev sumfin against me???...mmm, a luv yer nippuls

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

lol

is pmsl, lmao, lol, imho and all the other silly groupings of letters TEXT TALK?

if so, some folks who hate text talk use them

"lol

is pmsl, lmao, lol, imho and all the other silly groupings of letters TEXT TALK?

if so, some folks who hate text talk use them "

Forum Mod

O o O oo

lol _iew, I think when people think text talk they think what Raisalaugh just wrote that made my eyes hurt

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"lol _iew, I think when people think text talk they think what Raisalaugh just wrote that made my eyes hurt "

I have been reading paddy's groupings for years and I wear contact lens and reading glasses at the same time to cope x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

ooo Raise, I just gave you a right spelling in your name, I didn't mean to honest

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"lol _iew, I think when people think text talk they think what Raisalaugh just wrote that made my eyes hurt

I have been reading paddy's groupings for years and I wear contact lens and reading glasses at the same time to cope x"

ah so you have figured it out...any chance of a translation ?

Rugby,

should try attempting to follow Paddy in a chatroom setting... fast and all in one line...or have you managed to free up the sticky spacebar now Paddy?

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

i live in dudley but i dont put words like yam and am in my messages

hey! am black and am sco'ish yev sumfin against me???...mmm, a luv yer nippuls"

scottish, you've something against me, mmmm I love your nipples....

lolViewLaineRubywellitjustsohappensmykeyboardsstillfuckedbutusingaexternalkeyboardnow...mustabeenspunkcoffeeoralcoholandRugbygeezaswatchoyerfannyamgantingtoseeitsoakin

oh!, the hoary phrase. Weave then, weave quickly your sham veneration of the post modernity. Knit me webs of winter sagewood, and the fungoid sequins of a crown. Ferile whispers of indifference, being its mount.

Couldn`t care less..tho I be beslubbering o some o the messages we get..

"lol

if so, some folks who hate text talk use them

"

Guilty As charged

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"lolViewLaineRubywellitjustsohappensmykeyboardsstillfuckedbutusingaexternalkeyboardnow...mustabeenspunkcoffeeoralcoholandRugbygeezaswatchoyerfannyamgantingtoseeitsoakin"

good man, keep it up...

and the banter

oops mispelled Rugby!!!! altho rugby in the sky with diamonds has a nice ring to it

King's Crustacean

Today I am thinking of the word 'irony'

"Today I am thinking of the word 'irony' "

..... that's what you use to flatten your shirties Granny.

Ooh granny I've got a shirt that needs doin xx

Language and how we use it changes with every generation.

Once upon a time I thought text speak was lazy, but that was a time when only one or two used it on the new fangled internet and smart phones where not common place.

With more and more people accessing sites such as this one from a phone rather than via a PC and full sized keyboard , it is perhaps more understandable why so many slip into text talk.

Very few people of a younger ilk will find text speak lazy, as it is common place in their communication with others. Add a few years onto a person and you will start to find the perception of text speak being lazy…. not overlooking the significance of ‘difficult to understand’.

One thing which may be true is younger people often demonstrate a lack of judgement in deciding when to adapt their style of communication in order to meet the expectations of the recipient…. but then why does the onus always seem to be on them to adapt?

Who is really the lazy one… the person typing text speak or the person who refuses to learn it and adapt?

yeah i hate the taste of irony things....that metallicness really puts me off

hahahahaha Soapy!

King's Crustacean

"Today I am thinking of the word 'irony'

..... that's what you use to flatten your shirties Granny. "

Ys. Mi Irony flattens me shirties......

King's Crustacean

"Today I am thinking of the word 'irony'

Ooh granny I've got a shirt that needs doin xx "

Did he say shit ?

Today..I am mostly thinking of labial phonetics. Caressing adjectives, dynamic words are fully pressed, disyllibic and alliterative..mockingly confident that it makes sense to me...possibly.

King's Crustacean

"Language and how we use it changes with every generation.

Once upon a time I thought text speak was lazy, but that was a time when only one or two used it on the new fangled internet and smart phones where not common place.

With more and more people accessing sites such as this one from a phone rather than via a PC and full sized keyboard , it is perhaps more understandable why so many slip into text talk.

Very few people of a younger ilk will find text speak lazy, as it is common place in their communication with others. Add a few years onto a person and you will start to find the perception of text speak being lazy…. not overlooking the significance of ‘difficult to understand’.

One thing which may be true is younger people often demonstrate a lack of judgement in deciding when to adapt their style of communication in order to meet the expectations of the recipient…. but then why does the onus always seem to be on them to adapt?

Who is really the lazy one… the person typing text speak or the person who refuses to learn it and adapt?

"

Exactly! Now all get your tom toms out and beat them with your slate !

Lzyrudfknli'lbstds.

"

very good point Polo....

people forget progress is progress...to these youngster texters...they are efficient communicators with each other, text speak has nothing to do with intelligence or behaviour...and havent we all heard from 'oldies' who cant even fuckin work a phone textwise???

I hate seeing alot of text talk but i wont judge a person on it...particularly when its about getting a shag from them.....and I'd clearly just ask them to spell it so i can understand it

[Removed by poster at 02/09/11 18:36:31]

"Today..I am mostly thinking of labial phonetics. Caressing adjectives, dynamic words are fully pressed, disyllibic and alliterative..mockingly confident that it makes sense to me...possibly."

ye sure do talk purty mister.

King's Crustacean

very good point Polo....

people forget progress is progress...to these youngster texters...they are efficient communicators with each other, text speak has nothing to do with intelligence or behaviour...and havent we all heard from 'oldies' who cant even fuckin work a phone textwise???

I hate seeing alot of text talk but i wont judge a person on it...particularly when its about getting a shag from them.....and I'd clearly just ask them to spell it so i can understand it"

sckmybllzpddy x

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

as long as I can read bisexual and safe sex...

I am in.

Exactly! Now all get your tom toms out and beat them with your slate !

Lzyrudfknli'lbstds. "

My tom-tom's in the car and No1 son has it, can I beat him and the tom-tom later?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

OK ...is granny making these text things up cos I am struggling here !!

Anyone translate?

doesnt bother me as i find it easy to decipher

Forum Mod

O o O oo

ooooooooo I might have got it....suckmyballspaddy?

King's Crustacean

"OK ...is granny making these text things up cos I am struggling here !!

Anyone translate? "

Would I EVER make anything up ??

Sakes woman!

"OK ...is granny making these text things up cos I am struggling here !!

Anyone translate? "

Can't yet Ruggers, her pigeon with the note on it's leg is having a rest.

"Today..I am mostly thinking of labial phonetics. Caressing adjectives, dynamic words are fully pressed, disyllibic and alliterative..mockingly confident that it makes sense to me...possibly.

ye sure do talk purty mister. "

Thank `ee, maiden.I have a gentil cock

[Removed by poster at 02/09/11 18:45:03]

"ooooooooo I might have got it....suckmyballspaddy?"

well im using a site that translates text speak lol

and for crumpets ball licking request...im more of a flaps man!

"ooooooooo I might have got it....suckmyballspaddy?"

I knew I should have gone for a shorter reply than.... She wants Paddy to receive her male genitals in his mouth by way of creating a partial vacuum.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

".im more of a flaps man!"

My 65 year old granmother text speaks

I plan just do not understand it so puts when i have to ask what anyone actually is saying

So yes it puts me off

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I knew Granny had balls but I didn't think she meant literally

King's Crustacean

Christ.......if he's that fussy I'll flap the bloody things....

"Christ.......if he's that fussy I'll flap the bloody things...."

Flap them... ha.... who are you kidding? At your age they'll be more like two over ripe plums hanging in a sports sock.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Christ.......if he's that fussy I'll flap the bloody things....

Flap them... ha.... who are you kidding? At your age they'll be more like two over ripe plums hanging in a sports sock."

King's Crustacean

Flap them... ha.... who are you kidding? At your age they'll be more like two over ripe plums hanging in a sports sock."

Hardly! I've been balljazzled !!!

Fkit I avnt dn m lttry ......fkin elllllll

Back in five ....

Worse with iPhone and stupid autocorrect.

"

"

My bad..... ** two over ripe plums in one of Liberace's knee highs **

Flap them... ha.... who are you kidding? At your age they'll be more like two over ripe plums hanging in a sports sock.

Fkit I avnt dn m lttry ......fkin elllllll

Back in five .... "

ive just seen crumpet flying past my window on the way to bingo...fannyflappinbrilliant!!!!!

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

The classic mistakes are:

There, their, where, were, your, you're and the correct context.

And the excuse I'm using my mobile doesn't wash as the site uses spell check.

It's really just laziness and an indictment of the poor use of English language.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"The classic mistakes are:

There, their, where, were, your, you're and the correct context.

And the excuse I'm using my mobile doesn't wash as the site uses spell check.

It's really just laziness and an indictment of the poor use of English language."

Why is possibly making a genuine mistake lazy ?

Rushden

"Who is really the lazy one… the person typing text speak or the person who refuses to learn it and adapt?"

Text speak was "invented" because text messages on older phones were very short and some abbreviations were needed to get the message across. That is no longer the case so the abbreviations are no longer necessary! Ergo, lazy! (IMO)

Last time I checked, this country still used English as its primary language, not text speak! I can't use text speak in my business or when writing letters to business organisations. Neither would it be any good using text speak to write to my parents!

At this time and until text speak becomes the language of this country, I will continue to think of it as either lazy, or when used by anyone over 30, a cry for their lost youth...

"Who is really the lazy one… the person typing text speak or the person who refuses to learn it and adapt?

Text speak was "invented" because text messages on older phones were very short and some abbreviations were needed to get the message across."

Hmmm, kinda yes, but still some people are limited to how many text they have to send, so many per month or what credit they have, so text talk still has it's place as we don't all have unlimited text.

Rushden

"With more and more people accessing sites such as this one from a phone rather than via a PC and full sized keyboard , it is perhaps more understandable why so many slip into text talk."

I missed this bit, Polo.. Actually, there is less need to "text speak" today than there ever was! Most smart phones have a very strong predictive text that pick up on proper words.

Android for instance will give you a range of words, high lighting the one it thinks is correct. They are so good, that all I have to do is mash the keypad in the general area and it pics up the correct word nine times out of ten.

"With more and more people accessing sites such as this one from a phone rather than via a PC and full sized keyboard , it is perhaps more understandable why so many slip into text talk.

I missed this bit, Polo.. Actually, there is less need to "text speak" today than there ever was! Most smart phones have a very strong predictive text that pick up on proper words.

Android for instance will give you a range of words, high lighting the one it thinks is correct. They are so good, that all I have to do is mash the keypad in the general area and it pics up the correct word nine times out of ten.

"

This is very true, but if the person typing happens to use text talk whilst texting as for example I stated that some have limited text then it is understandable.

Rushden

"Who is really the lazy one… the person typing text speak or the person who refuses to learn it and adapt?

Text speak was "invented" because text messages on older phones were very short and some abbreviations were needed to get the message across.

Hmmm, kinda yes, but still some people are limited to how many text they have to send, so many per month or what credit they have, so text talk still has it's place as we don't all have unlimited text. "

Almost every mobile network now has massive amounts of texts added to the package. For those on PAYG, they also get massive text amounts just for topping up £10 per month from just about all suppliers!

Text speak was "invented" because text messages on older phones were very short and some abbreviations were needed to get the message across.

Hmmm, kinda yes, but still some people are limited to how many text they have to send, so many per month or what credit they have, so text talk still has it's place as we don't all have unlimited text.

Almost every mobile network now has massive amounts of texts added to the package. For those on PAYG, they also get massive text amounts just for topping up £10 per month from just about all suppliers!"

I'm aware of that, but also aware that not everyone takes that option, or/and text a blummin lot.

By *uro anchorMan  over a year ago

Coventry

fuck sake......

"fuck sake......"

you don't like bad spelling or text talk either huh.

Rushden

"fuck sake......"

I suggest if you have a problem with a civil discussion between adults, you stop reading the thread!

Rushden

"I'm aware of that, but also aware that not everyone takes that option, or/and text a blummin lot."

Ahh, I see where you are coming from! I would tend to agree with you on the "older kids" ( ) but I don't know anyone under the age of 20 that actually talks on the phone!!!

"

Text speak was "invented" because text messages on older phones were very short and some abbreviations were needed to get the message across. That is no longer the case so the abbreviations are no longer necessary! Ergo, lazy! (IMO)

Last time I checked, this country still used English as its primary language, not text speak! I can't use text speak in my business or when writing letters to business organisations. Neither would it be any good using text speak to write to my parents!

..."

How something begins is pretty much irrelevant once it becomes adopted by a wider population.

Various slang and rhyming slang was created by criminals… is every fella who says he’s just nipping for a ‘Jimmy’ really trying to evade the police?

As for “I can't use text speak in my business or when writing letters to business organisations”… you’ve got to laugh when you think about it. Businesses use as many if not more abbreviations than any texter…. AGI £5k pa @ approx. av. cpd, pdp, ce. Ci. CEO, MD….. come on take a look on any business report. How come those abbreviations are not just plain laziness? After all there’s no longer a need to save space on a spreadsheet for fear of not fitting it all on the paper. And don't forget the retail terms.... PAYG, BOGOF, 3 for 2 and so many more.

What about they’re, don’t, you’ve, haven’t, we’re, they’ve, didn’t… aren’t they all just abbreviations brought about by people verbally bringing too words together… they could be arse to actually say two short words never mind type them! (lol).

Personally, I generally type full words in text messages (old habits 'n' all that) but I can accept language (the spoken and the written word) and how we (society) use it will continue to change.

I text using full words, always have.

Text speak to me is for the younger generation, and for those slightly more mature in age who believe they need to use it in order to show they are moving on with the times and able to stay in trend etc...

Its use separates the boys from the men IMHO.

Peeps who use it do not do anything to me/for me.

King's Crustacean

My post wont be ...

S.W.A.L.K.

It might be

B.O.L.T.O.P but .....

Can't say I ...

H.O.L.L.A.N.D.

It won't be so long we have to ....

P.T.O.

But I do know. That for all the cribbers and leviathans I wanna say.....

To all the cruddy bum mud sinkers I have to say .......

Flip phones - what a misnomer they were.

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"I text using full words, always have.

Text speak to me is for the younger generation, and for those slightly more mature in age who believe they need to use it in order to show they are moving on with the times and able to stay in trend etc...

Peeps who use it do not do anything to me/for me."

wow I have a chance then Pearl, I use full words when I text can't say my spelling is always right though I often suffer from fat finger syndrome

wow I have a chance then Pearl, I use full words when I text can't say my spelling is always right though I often suffer from fat finger syndrome "

Not with me you don't, sorry!

By *lack_BoltMan  over a year ago

oxford

i live in dudley but i dont put words like yam and am in my messages "

Totally agree with you. It's unnecessary.

Lisburn

OMG some of those brings back memories

By *lack_BoltMan  over a year ago

oxford

Bad spelling and grammar do not trouble me too much because much can be deduced from context and other clues. Texting doesn't have these clues and is therefore much more difficult, and slower to read, and much more prone to ambiguity than other forms of communicating. Between kids and very close friends this may not be a problem, but between adults, where the consequences can be much more serious, texting is full of potential problems.

Also the notion that texting came about originally because of the limitations of mobile phones, though true, surely doesn't apply ona site like this?

How many people acces this site from their mobile phones? Most will do so from their computers, laptops, and smartphones. This makes the purpose of texting redundant surely. And also when communicating with such a vast number of people, who may be contacted for the first time, isn't clarity of prime concern?

So yes texting is, not only lazy, but also immature and highly inconsiderate to the person who may have to attempt to read your message.

Rant over!

King's Crustacean

pdn ?

polo

It doesn't bother me as i cant spell to save my life doeswhy the person n'toutfind mean that i'm not educated i think people should find out why they have spelt something in that way or used text as it is sometime more easier to spell things

Come on people there is learning problems out there that stop people for being able to spell

"Spelling mistakes and poor grammar do not bother me too much as I know some people do make errors due to various reasons.

Text speak puts me off if I'm trying to read a message or someones profile... it smacks immaturity to me. No apologies."

Same here. Easy enough to make a mistake but text speak is largely evil incarnate.

Most definitely a turn off... if the person can't even be bothered to type something properly, then what kind of a 'lover' would he make, would he make short cuts there too

If he can't be bothered to talk properly to me then I'm afraid I can't be bothered to reply..... *delete*

Laziness!!!!

"Most definitely a turn off... if the person can't even be bothered to type something properly, then what kind of a 'lover' would he make, would he make short cuts there too

If he can't be bothered to talk properly to me then I'm afraid I can't be bothered to reply..... *delete*

Laziness!!!!"

Absolutely and utterly agree!

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Be that in reply to their message or making the initial message yourself."

Yes!

If the spelling and the shortened versions of real words have made the message leave me thinking "i truely dont know what they are saying",then yup, it gets ignored,

Lifes too short and it just should'nt be that tricky.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

wow I have a chance then Pearl, I use full words when I text can't say my spelling is always right though I often suffer from fat finger syndrome "

Hey YOU have an invitation from us anytime... xx

"If the spelling and the shortened versions of real words have made the message leave me thinking "i truely dont know what they are saying",then yup, it gets ignored,

Lifes too short and it just should'nt be that tricky."

Chickened out of saying "incomprehensible",because im sure i will of miss-spelt that bad boy,,have i?

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

"It doesn't bother me as i cant spell to save my life doeswhy the person n'toutfind mean that i'm not educated i think people should find out why they have spelt something in that way or used text as it is sometime more easier to spell things

Come on people there is learning problems out there that stop people for being able to spell"

Totally agree! I am dyslexic,have a very responsible job that uses the written word a lot.in this modern age I can use a spell checker but i would appreciate a bit of leeway as its not perfect

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"It doesn't bother me as i cant spell to save my life doeswhy the person n'toutfind mean that i'm not educated i think people should find out why they have spelt something in that way or used text as it is sometime more easier to spell things

Come on people there is learning problems out there that stop people for being able to spell

Totally agree! I am dyslexic,have a very responsible job that uses the written word a lot.in this modern age I can use a spell checker but i would appreciate a bit of leeway as its not perfect "

I have tons of empathy for dyslexic people as we havea few in the family I do understand the issues xx

» Add a new message to this topic