FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Automatic cars - pros and cons

Automatic cars - pros and cons

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

So I have the option of upgrading my car from a mazda 3 55 plate to a Ford focus 11 plate.

The only thing is it's an automatic and I have only ever owned manual cars.

Hit me with the pros and cons of automatics!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I always ran scared from automatics, I don't like relinquishing control. I borrowed the Top Wench's car when mine was poorly - I was a convert within about twenty minutes.

Try it. Borrow one for a couple of days.

It's a much more comfortable driving experience, fuel consumption seems better and shitty traffic (I have to deal with the Greater Manchester nonsense road network) is far easier.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Wouldn't Go back to manual, auto all the way.

It depends on your driving style if you want to drive like an 18year old lady thrashing around wheel spinning and generally looking like a twat then auto is not for you.

However if you want to sit and relax especially in traffic get more longevity out of the car due to less wear,yes fuel consumption maybe higher but that's due to the additional weight of an auto box.

But driven sensibly you should get similar MPG.

Plus no clutch to wear out.

By *eplicant JoWoman  over a year ago

Sussex countryside

I can only drive an automatic - so my opinion is a bit biased and not helpful

Take it for a test drive and see how it feels

Less to the gallon

More torque

Less shit to do

Expensive when they go wrong but

No clutch to replace

If you like throwing your car into bends... It ain't for you.

I love em

couple, us we him her.

Meant to say 18year old lad. But tbh have seen how some younger women drive these days so plenty of girl Racers around as well.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I have a plug-in hybrid now and they are all autos. I was very sceptical at first but love it now. Very lazy to drive and I find it much more relaxing too

To be honest I owned a Sierra around 25 years back and it was the only auto I've had but it was absolutely the easiest drive I've had.

The only problem I had was when I used the kickback to accelerate up a hill...it sort of went into neutral...it took it to a garage and was quoted £700 ish to fix it..but he couldn't do it until the following week. So I went to another and he had a look and noticed a piece of rubber pipe had rotted.

He changed that and charged me a quid for the pipe.

Lucky escape eh

Automatic is a dream you will never go back to a manual x

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Stop pedal go pedal easy peasy . More expensive if things do go wrong how many miles has it done ? What’s your average yearly mileage ?

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Tamworth

Do it! Wouldn't drive anything else now, especially if you do a lot of miles.

By *oresexMan  over a year ago

South West coast

Borrow or hire one for a week, then decide, I always had manual, till this car, (btw an auto does still have a clutch and it can wear out) if you choose a hybrid like a Yaris the fuel and road tax will be much better too.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I recently changed and love it. Especially tapping it over to sport.

However left foot breaking is not funny when you do it in the middle of the high street. Take it easy on the first few drives.

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

The first time you have to stop you'll bury your left foot into the brake pedal presuming the clutch is there. Emergency stop scenario.

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Wouldn't have one nothing but problems and very expensive to fix. But if youu want one I would recommend Honda and at all costs avoid french. Plus I am not old enough to drive one

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Pro Less pedals

Con less economical

couple, us we him her.

"Borrow or hire one for a week, then decide, I always had manual, till this car, (btw an auto does still have a clutch and it can wear out) if you choose a hybrid like a Yaris the fuel and road tax will be much better too."

We had a Honda civic automatic and did almost 200 thousand miles in it never had a clutch issue.

Owner for 14years.

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

"So I have the option of upgrading my car from a mazda 3 55 plate to a Ford focus 11 plate.

The only thing is it's an automatic and I have only ever owned manual cars.

Hit me with the pros and cons of automatics! "

It depends which gearbox it has got.

If it's a traditional auto with a torque converter, fine.

If it's the newer style as fitted to the 2012 Bmax, not so good.

A lot of new "autos" are manual boxes with clutch controled electronically. They drive like an auto, only two pedals, but don't last.

My dad has a 12 plate Bmax and it juddered as he went round slow corners. Ford's put a new clutch, no questions asked, a year later it has started doing it again...

The VW DSG auto has similar problems...

However I love my auto and with left foot breaking, it's still fun to drive...

Cons - it's an automatic

Pros - N/A

When you pull off the motorway after a long run, be ready to peel your nose off the windscreen when you automatically push the clutch to the floor to change down, and get reminded there is no clutch and you just floored the brake peddle.

But once you get used to it they are ok.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"If you like throwing your car into bends... It ain't for you."

That's what I feared

Get a triptronic. Best of both

As I drive 25000 miles pa I really should get an automatic

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Only ever owned one and i hated it,the fuel consumption was terrible. I was forever shouting..change gear ya bloody thing. Needless to say it was back to manuals for me. I enjoy working the gearbox.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I use my gearbox more than my brakes so an automatic wouldn't suite me at all.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

I can only drive an auto because of sciatica in my left leg and i love it. My dad switched over to automatics about 13-14 years ago and wouldn't go back to a manual.

I passed my test in an auto 3 years ago and got some very good advice from a couple of mechanics when looking for a car.

They said to avoid anything French, corsa auto is shit. If possible to look at a ford or a Japanese make as they have far fewer problems.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

You will spend the first hour trying to clutch with the brake pedal.

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I've owned both and currently have a manual. Automatic no doubt best choice for stop and go /snarled traffic. Generally makes for more relaxed driving.

Manual is more fun from a driving perspective, especially on twisty roads. A slick, smooth shifter greatly helps this. All comes down to priorities.

In the USA, 95% of cars are autos. Few people use manuals. Show off points for me in high school as I drove "stick"

I have an auto and wouldn't go back.

I still wheel spin and throw it around corners lol and its a ford focus estate! Crazy bitch driver

And i don't understand why people are saying you push the brake instead of clutch, its used the same as a manual with your right foot. I tuck my left leg by the seat but stretch when needed.

Love auto and my next car would be auto too....only problem i find is going back to a manual and forgetting to pull the clutch in and stalling

We had both types for years and I don't remember ever being confused when driving either type.

The amount of driving I do I'd be bored shit less with an auto.

Manual all the way for me

Very difficult to express yourself when youve no gears to change but youl never touch ya mates bare leg while hes wearing shorts either so it has its plus points

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Ive owned manuals all my life. Driven autos and found them boring. And i do concur with the left foot braking issue. Its bloody annoying.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

A few years ago I had a bsd knee problem and could not press the clutch without a lot of pain so had to get an automatic.

I was reluctant as I liked changing gears but now would allways drive an automatic even if my knee was cured it makes driving in traffic easier,

The only downside is you use a bit more fuel and pay more road tax

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 27/09/17 22:55:37]

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I can get over 60 to the gallon from my car which is a diesel sports hatch auto. Running costs have been minimal and its a pleasure to drive even if the sports suspension is a bit bumpy.

Mr N drives an auto too.

So two more votes for auto

Had a 3l auto before and still averaged 40mpg doing a good mix of motorway and city driving.

Couldn't beat it for being sat in traffic or hill starts!

Still plenty of life if you put it in sports mode and put the foot down aswell.

No real complaints from me on them

By *iredhandMan  over a year ago

Manchester

It used to be that 0-60 times in autos were always worse than manual (depending on the driver) but modern auto boxes like the DSG in VWs are actually quicker. Like others have said, they are great for stop/start motoring, but also great for long distance motorway cruising. Had manual cars up until 3 1/2 years ago and don’t plan to ever go back.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I see a fair few pros and cons for both.

Automatic Pros -

Less complicated to drive

Less effort driving - not changing gears

Can hold value well

Manual Pros -

More potential to control the car to a finer level.

I'd resist putting your car info too finely on here btw

By *uriousTwosomeCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

I have 6 cars; the fun ones are all manual, but the ones used for commuting are automatic. Miles more relaxing, slightly higher fuel consumption, and if you're a good driver can still give it a good thrashing in bends!

By *utonguy2023Man  over a year ago

luton

Own two cars and prefer the auto all the way makes these flash twats in there mercs and bm,s look like idiots at lights sat there given it the big look at me .green light foot down see ya just watch them dissapear in rear veiw mirror

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

I assume the main problem will be, once you go auto you probably wont ever go back to manual so will have to buy what are more expensive cars (at least locally to me).

Everything else is give or take, some autos are jerky and bad, but some clutches are so heavy you get a pain in your back driving. etc.

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple  over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

I was a die hard manual driver until last year. But the car I wanted came as an automatic so I bit the bullet with a bit of encouragement from Sir who's an auto driver too.

I do quite a lot of miles some days with work and it's so more relaxing than a manual. As for efficiency, when I put on the cruise control I'm seeing 50-60 mpg which I'm happy with.

By *indmill and weetabixCouple  over a year ago

Kettering

I drive brand new skodas for work and I cannot fault the volkswagon audi group DSG autos

If I could afford one I would have one.

"I drive brand new skodas for work and I cannot fault the volkswagon audi group DSG autos

If I could afford one I would have one. "

Mines a VW. Very happy with it.

I guess being lucky enough to become a motorist in a time when recreational driving was as much a feature of car ownership was its use for practical purpose I had the pleasure of driving cars that needed to be driven...

Modern cars drive themselves ..driving modern automatics is a totally sterile experience and provides none of the driving satisfaction provided by those cars that needed the sort of car /driver interaction that made motoring such a joy....

I appreciate what I've said above will be lost on a generation whose motoring life started after those halcyon days when automatic where the behest of large engine luxury vehicles or to give disabled individuals the freedom of joining the motoring fraternity ....

Basically what I'm saying is if you are a competent driver and enjoy the process of operating a vehicle get a manual .......

Love the amount of wannabe motoring journalists saying you need a manual to enjoy B roads and bends!

Most of you wouldn't even know how to induce or react to a powerslide caused by liftover oversteer or WOT.

If manuals are so great, why do all the exotics run double clutch autos that change gear in milliseconds!

"Love the amount of wannabe motoring journalists saying you need a manual to enjoy B roads and bends!

Most of you wouldn't even know how to induce or react to a powerslide caused by liftover oversteer or WOT.

If manuals are so great, why do all the exotics run double clutch autos that change gear in milliseconds!

"

What percentage of the motoring fraternity drive exotic cars ?

I've got one of both and much rather drive the automatic.

Forget about fuel consumption etc as it still depends a lot on traffic, driving style etc but as others have said see if you can take one for 24 hours and make a decision based on that.

What percentage chose a fucking 11 plate Ford Focus auto for B road blasts and sweeping corners!

"What percentage chose a fucking 11 plate Ford Focus auto for B road blasts and sweeping corners! "

What percentage of arrogant motorists disregard the laws of the road which are intended to keep sensible drivers and pedestrians safe .....

You response lacks reason or understanding

" Modern cars drive themselves ..driving modern automatics is a totally sterile experience and provides none of the driving satisfaction provided by those cars that needed the sort of car /driver interaction that made motoring such a joy....

Basically what I'm saying is if you are a competent driver and enjoy the process of operating a vehicle get a manual ....... "

Disagree with both these statements. I've got an automatic suv and it makes me smile every single time I go out in it

" Modern cars drive themselves ..driving modern automatics is a totally sterile experience and provides none of the driving satisfaction provided by those cars that needed the sort of car /driver interaction that made motoring such a joy....

Basically what I'm saying is if you are a competent driver and enjoy the process of operating a vehicle get a manual .......

Disagree with both these statements. I've got an automatic suv and it makes me smile every single time I go out in it"

Have you always drove automatics ?

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Pro's of an automatic. You are not stepping on a clutch in traffic jams every 10secs, you just let off the brake.

They take a little getting used to so as you're not riding the brake, some have a semi-auto box to replace shifting but it's not necessary unless you're racing. A decent auto will get the same mpg as a manual now, just make sure it is dialled in so there's little time between gear changes.

Disagree with both these statements. I've got an automatic suv and it makes me smile every single time I go out in it

Have you always drove automatics ?"

No. Had a number of manual mid range performance cars I the past, this is only the 2nd auto I've owned

If, like me, you have dodgy knees you get to rest one of them. You can teach yourself to use either foot too to give alternate knees a rest.

"Love the amount of wannabe motoring journalists saying you need a manual to enjoy B roads and bends!

"

I wouldn't need to. I don't drive like a maniac.

Have you always drove automatics ?

No. Had a number of manual mid range performance cars I the past, this is only the 2nd auto I've owned"

Ah ok .... it's good you've found a vehicle your happy with .....

You seem like a sensible intelligent driver and I'm sure you don't go speeding and power sliding on public roads .....

Been driving for 32 years now and always owned a manual. Automatics scared me for whatever reason. Recent bought an Audi automatic and I can honestly say I've been wondering ever since why I ever bothered with a manual.

That said in moments of panic I still try for the clutch and to change down lol

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

"What percentage chose a fucking 11 plate Ford Focus auto for B road blasts and sweeping corners!

What percentage of arrogant motorists disregard the laws of the road which are intended to keep sensible drivers and pedestrians safe .....

You response lacks reason or understanding "

Agreed. You can enjoy b roads and bends without driving like a bellend. Keep the drifting to movies or the track.

"What percentage chose a fucking 11 plate Ford Focus auto for B road blasts and sweeping corners!

You response lacks reason or understanding

Agreed. You can enjoy b roads and bends without driving like a bellend. Keep the drifting to movies or the track."

As always people like you restore my faith in human nature .....

However I'm duty bound to close this post with my latest trademark emojo

For the last 10 years, my work vehicles have been autos (proper autos with torque converter) and have all covered 50k-60k miles a year shared with another driver. We kept them for 3 or 4 years and never had a transmission problem.

We've now moved to double clutch autos and mine has been back to the dealer 3 times in under a year because of a sensor fault on the gearbox....

Whilst they are lovely to drive, I think I'd rather have a simple auto over the double clutch boxes.

That said, although my daily driver is an auto, my other car is manual and I do find myself wanting to drive that more than the auto.

People who drive automatic are missing out on the pleasure those of us get thrusting that hard throbbing phallic symbol in an out of the gear slots

By *atietvsheffTV/TS  over a year ago

Sheffield

Autos are brilliant, total convert

By *atietvsheffTV/TS  over a year ago

Sheffield

My auto has paddle shifts on the steering wheel, used them twice as simply no need to make life complicated they are fun to use in a sporty type of way but for the vast majority of driving just no need and et in the way. Simple auto is the way to go, just so nice to drive

By *rey NomadMan  over a year ago

Calne

Brilliant.. on my second auto now and my latest one is a 7 speed dual clutch one with the paddles on the steering wheel, wouldnt go back to a manual now too much hassle..

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

I've driven auto's in the past that I hated. Newer ones with more gears and much more intuitive changing can be great. Especially when you can drive them 'manual' too. But the ones I liked and have now got have been quite powerful, so they handled the auto gearbox well. I'd give the particular one you are trying a good go before deciding.

If you do quite a bit of driving, it can be a lot more relaxing in an auto.

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

An auto is way more comfortable , relaxing and overall a much better experience .

I haven't had a manual since I passed my test some 38 years ago .

By *mojeeCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

I'd only have an auto if it was on a really nice expensive car. Other then that they are for peeps who can't use a manual.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Depends on how long you spend sat in traffic. If its alot, get an auto.

"Depends on how long you spend sat in traffic. If its alot, get an auto."

Yeah so you can let you mind wander instead of remaining alert....

You are a-lert aren't you Clem ?

Don't automatics have that filter that has to clean itself over a certain speed? A huge cloud of black crap comes out.

salisbury

"Don't automatics have that filter that has to clean itself over a certain speed? A huge cloud of black crap comes out."

No. That's a diesel dpf filter.

"Don't automatics have that filter that has to clean itself over a certain speed? A huge cloud of black crap comes out."

I don't think diesels are suitable for motorists who only make short journey's...

salisbury

"Depends on how long you spend sat in traffic. If its alot, get an auto.

You are a-lert aren't you Clem ? "

Less time on the clutch. Less wear and tear on the car and your knee.

salisbury

"Don't automatics have that filter that has to clean itself over a certain speed? A huge cloud of black crap comes out.

I don't think diesels are suitable for motorists who only make short journey's... "

Ill let you know. My jag is petrol, but the commute was so short id only see 25mpg. So i just bought a little diesel focus.

"Depends on how long you spend sat in traffic. If its alot, get an auto.

You are a-lert aren't you Clem ?

Less time on the clutch. Less wear and tear on the car and your knee. "

Or you could say that a god driver with efficient clutch control will develop a health and active mind and body whilst the automatic drivers brain rots and their lower limb mobility deteriorates due to lack of use,,,,,,, not to mention the risk of growing a big fat arse

"I guess being lucky enough to become a motorist in a time when recreational driving was as much a feature of car ownership was its use for practical purpose I had the pleasure of driving cars that needed to be driven...

Modern cars drive themselves ..driving modern automatics is a totally sterile experience and provides none of the driving satisfaction provided by those cars that needed the sort of car /driver interaction that made motoring such a joy....

I appreciate what I've said above will be lost on a generation whose motoring life started after those halcyon days when automatic where the behest of large engine luxury vehicles or to give disabled individuals the freedom of joining the motoring fraternity ....

Basically what I'm saying is if you are a competent driver and enjoy the process of operating a vehicle get a manual ....... "

After my husband passed, I acquired a second vehicle. An ex army Landrover Lightweight. That wants driving Is that the kind of thing you mean ?

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

My Jag is automatic and goes like a dream....fantastic acceleration

By *kivaMan  over a year ago

Vaguely the West

Automatic leaves your left hand free to play with a passenger

"I guess being lucky enough to become a motorist in a time when recreational driving was as much a feature of car ownership was its use for practical purpose I had the pleasure of driving cars that needed to be driven...

After my husband passed, I acquired a second vehicle. An ex army Landrover Lightweight. That wants driving Is that the kind of thing you mean ?"

Yes its a more involved driving process that delivers a level of satisfaction that can only be achieved with skill and an ability to be adaptable

By *eadySteadyCockCouple  over a year ago

Tredegar

I’m drove an automatic for the first time this year and when I buy my next car it will be automatic. They are really much better!

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

"Automatic leaves your left hand free to play with a passenger "

Or yourself

After my husband passed, I acquired a second vehicle. An ex army Landrover Lightweight. That wants driving Is that the kind of thing you mean ?

Yes its a more involved driving process that delivers a level of satisfaction that can only be achieved with skill and an ability to be adaptable "

And forearms like a Russian shotput gold medalist

The gears are erm interesting...maybe it was dropped too much. And a mechanic at some stage but a plastic label on the foot brake saying "good luck". That kind of driving ?

Also I shouldn't divulge this, but it made me laugh - sir has driven these in a former younger life. Wind forward many years and the space between his belly and the steering wheel is, close!!!

Yes its a more involved driving process that delivers a level of satisfaction that can only be achieved with skill and an ability to be adaptable

The gears are erm interesting...maybe it was dropped too much. And a mechanic at some stage but a plastic label on the foot brake saying "good luck". That kind of driving ?

Also I shouldn't divulge this, but it made me laugh - sir has driven these in a former younger life. Wind forward many years and the space between his belly and the steering wheel is, close!!! "

Dependent on how old you LD is it could be old enough to have a steering box rather than power assisted rack and pinion which is something not many middle age drivers have experienced ...

The sensation of driving something that easy so much easer to turn in one direction compared to being a wrestling match to turn in the other direction coupled with gearbox that is like stirring a bowl of porridge every time you need to change gear really sorts out who can really drive from those who can drive a car that drives itself ,,,,

"Borrow or hire one for a week, then decide, I always had manual, till this car, (btw an auto does still have a clutch and it can wear out) if you choose a hybrid like a Yaris the fuel and road tax will be much better too.

We had a Honda civic automatic and did almost 200 thousand miles in it never had a clutch issue.

Owner for 14years."

I used to love the old zf auto box's.

Honda did a very wired variable drive auto system years ago that had no gears

Like driving an electric motor

Also I shouldn't divulge this, but it made me laugh - sir has driven these in a former younger life. Wind forward many years and the space between his belly and the steering wheel is, close!!!

Dependent on how old you LD is it could be old enough to have a steering box rather than power assisted rack and pinion which is something not many middle age drivers have experienced ...

The sensation of driving something that easy so much easer to turn in one direction compared to being a wrestling match to turn in the other direction coupled with gearbox that is like stirring a bowl of porridge every time you need to change gear really sorts out who can really drive from those who can drive a car that drives itself ,,,,

"

There is nothing assisted on it at all!! Another little quirk of her, is the petrol tank and cap is under the drivers seat. Last time I filled her up, a man came running out the station demanding to know where I was putting all this petrol

I can only assume they thought I was a terrorist

"Borrow or hire one for a week, then decide, I always had manual, till this car, (btw an auto does still have a clutch and it can wear out) if you choose a hybrid like a Yaris the fuel and road tax will be much better too.

Owner for 14years..

Like driving an electric motor "

I'm od enough to remember the Daff 44 Variomatic

"Don't automatics have that filter that has to clean itself over a certain speed? A huge cloud of black crap comes out.

No. That's a diesel dpf filter."

Oh yea, I think it was on an automatic car, that confused me.

By *he fab twoCouple  over a year ago

brentwood

"Less to the gallon

More torque

Less shit to do

Expensive when they go wrong but

No clutch to replace

If you like throwing your car into bends... It ain't for you.

I love em "

Depends what auto you have tbh mine gets driven hard

East Hull

"

I've had driving experiences in an Aerial Atom & a Lamborghini Gallardo, both times the instructors were complimentary of how quickly I was able push the cars limits.

Once you have experienced a Tesla you will never look back ...

I've had driving experiences in an Aerial Atom & a Lamborghini Gallardo, both times the instructors were complimentary of how quickly I was able push the cars limits."

How much did he charge you for telling you that and did he offer a discount if you signed up another dose of flattery

East Hull

I've had driving experiences in an Aerial Atom & a Lamborghini Gallardo, both times the instructors were complimentary of how quickly I was able push the cars limits.

How much did he charge you for telling you that and did he offer a discount if you signed up another dose of flattery "

No charge, it was complimentary

How much did he charge you for telling you that and did he offer a discount if you signed up another dose of flattery

No charge, it was complimentary "

"Once you have experienced a Tesla you will never look back ..."

Was tempted by the tesla couple of months back but then drove a rr sport svr and it's simply the best car I've ever had

"I use my gearbox more than my brakes so an automatic wouldn't suite me at all."

me too...used to sometimes drive an automatic when the monkey used one through his work. Hate the feeling of not being in control and made me less focussed on what i was doing. I didn't drive them, I just pointed them in the direction we were going in. No driving skill involved...

Way back in the day when I past my test we were advised the cost of brake shoe replacement was infinitely cheaper than clutch or gearbox replacement ....

Also I shouldn't divulge this, but it made me laugh - sir has driven these in a former younger life. Wind forward many years and the space between his belly and the steering wheel is, close!!! "

i remember that landy...

salisbury

Owner for 14years..

Like driving an electric motor "

Pretty sure my beemer has a zf in it.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I love my focus automatic ... There is a slight judder now and then .. but it's the best car I've ever had.i also love my VW T25 manual camper van ... For different reasons

i remember that landy... "

She's up for sale you can have her. One careful lady owner

Only ever driven on automatic which was a Porsche 911 targa

Was a great car but when they need a gearbox rebuild, which inevitably they do at around 100k miles Time for the car to go.

The box started selecting wrong gears when putting your foot down, so from 4th to 2nd instead of 3rd. Engine would shut off as a safety feature

East Hull

"Only ever driven on automatic which was a Porsche 911 targa

Was a great car but when they need a gearbox rebuild, which inevitably they do at around 100k miles Time for the car to go.

The box started selecting wrong gears when putting your foot down, so from 4th to 2nd instead of 3rd. Engine would shut off as a safety feature "

Automatic gearboxes should not be allowed to be fitted in certain cars, a Porsche is 1 of them.

The box started selecting wrong gears when putting your foot down, so from 4th to 2nd instead of 3rd. Engine would shut off as a safety feature

Automatic gearboxes should not be allowed to be fitted in certain cars, a Porsche is 1 of them."

...and the Toyota Supra

Automatic gearboxes should not be allowed to be fitted in certain cars, a Porsche is 1 of them."

Stunning car and pretty rapid, 315bhp from a 3.6 N/A engine but when it's around 6k-7k for the gearbox to be rebuilt

Driving a type R now with gear changes at 8500rpm.....so much fun!

East Hull

Automatic gearboxes should not be allowed to be fitted in certain cars, a Porsche is 1 of them.

Stunning car and pretty rapid, 315bhp from a 3.6 N/A engine but when it's around 6k-7k for the gearbox to be rebuilt

Driving a type R now with gear changes at 8500rpm.....so much fun!

"

See as much as I appreciate the technical advantages of a paddle shift on a track, as I've driven a Lamborghini Gallardo around Elvington Airfield. But physically moving the gear stick to select a different gear gives you more of a connection with the car and the feeling of driving the car as opposed to the car being driven.

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

Morning coffee is so much easier to drink in an automatic

East Hull

"Morning coffee is so much easier to drink in an automatic "

Drink driver

» Add a new message to this topic