FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Unions

Unions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ylan11 OP   Man  over a year ago

osterley

What’s your view on unions ?

I think they are a must at work but when they have action I see people being interviewed saying how bad they are ?!! Really

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uddlybear2015Man  over a year ago

BEDFORD

Have to laugh when ppl moan about unions during tea breaks...

By *aelawMan  over a year ago

Paisley

Unions are brilliant. Always used to belong to one but when moved and progressed my career I never could establish which one covered my field, always hard. Better when you know a rep where you work etc

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Part Of The Union - Strawbs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

I belong to a union

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Suppose they have, like anything else good and bad points.

Used to be in an engineering union when I was an apprentice.

The union did all it could to prevent the management from sacking a lazy layabout who was late constantly. Still winds me up 30 odd years later.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

A union is only as good as the people in them, most of the ones I have been in were not that good.

Most of the union reps sounded like they were for you, but when it came to the crunch time they were busy or not that bothered. They took great enjoyment in giving crap to management though.

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

"A union is only as good as the people in them, most of the ones I have been in were not that good.

Most of the union reps sounded like they were for you, but when it came to the crunch time they were busy or not that bothered. They took great enjoyment in giving crap to management though."

Thats another thing that I dint like about them, their sole purpose seems to be just to disagree with management. Just like the political system in the UK arrrrghhhh

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

They've achieved wonderful things for workers and corporations integrate them more fully in other countries. Here it seems that some businesses make it more difficult for them and their staff, which is pretty insulting to their employees imo.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"They've achieved wonderful things for workers and corporations integrate them more fully in other countries. Here it seems that some businesses make it more difficult for them and their staff, which is pretty insulting to their employees imo. "

this! we would do well do think on what security any of us would have if it weren't for pressure from unions in the past behind a lot of our legal rights at work

Many years ago I served my time as an apprentice.....

In the succession of becoming a Journeyman I was required to attend a Union meeting where was to receive my indentures ...

All union members were required to pay a political levy from their monthly subs ....

I requested my levy be given to the Tory party .....

They told me they would not recognize my request and refused me my indentures ,...

I told them I would have them in court and the spineless fuckers conceded on the condition they did not take a political levy from me .....

"A union is only as good as the people in them, most of the ones I have been in were not that good.

Most of the union reps sounded like they were for you, but when it came to the crunch time they were busy or not that bothered. They took great enjoyment in giving crap to management though.

Thats another thing that I dint like about them, their sole purpose seems to be just to disagree with management. Just like the political system in the UK arrrrghhhh "

this. Generally militant individuals making a living out if causing discontent. Exceptions always exist though!!

By *uziebabyWoman  over a year ago

Worcester

"What’s your view on unions ?

I think they are a must at work but when they have action I see people being interviewed saying how bad they are ?!! Really "

They are really useful if run sensibly by people with a balanced outlook on life looking to maintain workers rights without crippling the company they work for. Sadly though many have power hungry megalomaniacs which sadly many are run by.

By *radleywigginsMan  over a year ago

northwest

Toothless

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

We definitely need unions.

For example I will put a whole one in my bolognese sauce.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

"We definitely need unions.

For example I will put a whole one in my bolognese sauce. "

The GMB rep steve Garlic might be interested in your recipe

I am a big advocate of Unions and Workers rights and they're absolutely fine if they employ reps who know what they're doing and are honest and fair. I worked for local council and they were an absolute f*cking disgrace. Generally the union reps were the laziest f*ckers in their dept who got themselves a shop stewards gig to protect themselves and their mates' jobs.

I threatened to slap at least 2 of them for stirring up shit for no reason and one of them was subsequently suspended (for a non-related expenses fiddle!).

Would never work for a Council again because of the crap I had to put up with.

"What’s your view on unions ?

I think they are a must at work but when they have action I see people being interviewed saying how bad they are ?!! Really "

The one im in is good for the workers and supports us.

By *hianaWoman  over a year ago

Hereford

I wish I had been in one. They would have helped in my employment tribunal last week against my ex employer. Won anyway but they lied under oath. Union probably could have helped as have impairments which effects processing n short term memory.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

The GMB rep steve Garlic might be interested in your recipe "

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

"Many years ago I served my time as an apprentice.....

In the succession of becoming a Journeyman I was required to attend a Union meeting where was to receive my indentures ...

All union members were required to pay a political levy from their monthly subs ....

I requested my levy be given to the Tory party .....

They told me they would not recognize my request and refused me my indentures ,...

I told them I would have them in court and the spineless fuckers conceded on the condition they did not take a political levy from me ..... "

Every union member has a right to opt out of paying into the political fund. No member can be required to contribute to it. However where the political fund goes is a matter for the unions decision making process.

Of course there was nothing to stop you opting out and then paying the money to the tory party.

Unions are for people who can't or won't, speak or think for themselves.

In my job I need it!!

i have just left a job as a careworker..this industry desperately needs union protection for its workers but sadly is very very unlikely to get it.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Unions are ultimately responsible for the state of the UK economy (along with estate agents)

Certain unions have become all powerful knowing they can hold the country to ransom.

Trades in the train industry (drivers, guards, sparks, track workers) tend to earn 40% more than equivalent trades elsewhere all because the unions know they will get their way by striking... want a inflation busting pay rise, no problem.. don't want redundancies for unnecessary roles.. let's just keep them in employment leeching cash..

That's not the way to build an economy that grows, it stifles it, prevents investment and progression with technology..

Why do we need a gaurd on a platform with a whistle when the same Job can be done more effective by cameras and technology... other countries have used it for years, not us.. Britain is years behind and wastes millions each year that could be better spent elsewhere..

And with economic growth comes new jobs, more jobs.. those that have suffered redundancies find new employment because new business's spring up to support new and emerging technologies..

The country flourishes and everyone becomes better off...

Of course, we could stay as we are and those in the big unions are the only ones becoming better off at everyone else's expense...

Central

Successive governments have weakened union powers - and thus respectively of working people - and we're in potentially troubling times, with the likes of this governments attempts at VIII legislative powers, which could result in employment protection being removed at the whim of any government that wanted to. As such I view unions being essential for the wellbeing of the population and business success. Exacerbation of a potentially weak position for workers is likely when increasingly sophisticated technology replaces the jobs of millions of people.

"Successive governments have weakened union powers - and thus respectively of working people - and we're in potentially troubling times, with the likes of this governments attempts at VIII legislative powers, which could result in employment protection being removed at the whim of any government that wanted to. As such I view unions being essential for the wellbeing of the population and business success. Exacerbation of a potentially weak position for workers is likely when increasingly sophisticated technology replaces the jobs of millions of people. "

I agree and with the ever increasing amount of zero hour contracts....now is not the time to be trying to put the nail in the coffin of the unions.

Yes there is incompetent and some corrupted people within unions...but you find that in all walks of life.

And as said above now is not the time to shoot yourself in the foot.

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

"Exacerbation of a potentially weak position for workers is likely when increasingly sophisticated technology replaces the jobs of millions of people. "

And for every new product that replaces a person a whole new industry evolves around that product.. service engineers, product support, manufacturing for spares, software engineers, integration teams...

Numerous studies have shown that for every job lost to technology, at least 3 jobs are created in support of that technology... surely that is a good thing?

I have a distrust of unions, my Dad paid into unions all his life, then at the end of his career he really needed them and they turned their back on him, it was awful to see him treated so badly by his employer and union.

I've also read The road to Nab End and felt it put many things work related into perspective.

Ginger

"Exacerbation of a potentially weak position for workers is likely when increasingly sophisticated technology replaces the jobs of millions of people.

And for every new product that replaces a person a whole new industry evolves around that product.. service engineers, product support, manufacturing for spares, software engineers, integration teams...

Numerous studies have shown that for every job lost to technology, at least 3 jobs are created in support of that technology... surely that is a good thing?"

Not necessarily true. As we move ever closer and further into the world of Quantum Computers and Artificial Intelligence there is a huge school of academics who would dispute this statement.

Also as a track worker and union rep the guys I know in equivalent trades work Monday to Friday and maybe a Saturday morning. You try ringing a self employed spark to attend a fault somewhere at 03:00 on a Sunday morning and see what his hourly rate is. I'll bet a pound to a pinch it's more than my colleagues are on. Oh and then there's the national insurance and tax they don't pay through creative accounting unlike my PAYE colleagues.

By *ere2pleasureUMan  over a year ago

Kington

[Removed by poster at 28/09/17 19:31:36]

By *ere2pleasureUMan  over a year ago

Kington

"Unions are ultimately responsible for the state of the UK economy (along with estate agents)

Certain unions have become all powerful knowing they can hold the country to ransom.

Trades in the train industry (drivers, guards, sparks, track workers) tend to earn 40% more than equivalent trades elsewhere all because the unions know they will get their way by striking... want a inflation busting pay rise, no problem.. don't want redundancies for unnecessary roles.. let's just keep them in employment leeching cash..

That's not the way to build an economy that grows, it stifles it, prevents investment and progression with technology..

Why do we need a gaurd on a platform with a whistle when the same Job can be done more effective by cameras and technology... other countries have used it for years, not us.. Britain is years behind and wastes millions each year that could be better spent elsewhere..

And with economic growth comes new jobs, more jobs.. those that have suffered redundancies find new employment because new business's spring up to support new and emerging technologies..

The country flourishes and everyone becomes better off...

Of course, we could stay as we are and those in the big unions are the only ones becoming better off at everyone else's expense... "

Really? Everything wrong on this country is the fault of unions?

Of course the robbing banker's and senior execs and those thriving from pension funds are all doing their best for us all.. Aren't they? I guess you'd have us all back in work houses

Central

"Exacerbation of a potentially weak position for workers is likely when increasingly sophisticated technology replaces the jobs of millions of people.

Numerous studies have shown that for every job lost to technology, at least 3 jobs are created in support of that technology... surely that is a good thing?"

I see your point as in contradiction of what most experts are predicting for the near future. Not that there won't be new support jobs, as there will. But the scale of jobs lost will be phenomenal and dwarf those created.

The union I'm part of got us a 30% pay rise over 5 years.

They're worth the monthly subscription in my opinion

By *ANDA2Couple  over a year ago

Henley Arden

Numerous studies have shown that for every job lost to technology, at least 3 jobs are created in support of that technology... surely that is a good thing?

Not necessarily true. As we move ever closer and further into the world of Quantum Computers and Artificial Intelligence there is a huge school of academics who would dispute this statement.

Also as a track worker and union rep the guys I know in equivalent trades work Monday to Friday and maybe a Saturday morning. You try ringing a self employed spark to attend a fault somewhere at 03:00 on a Sunday morning and see what his hourly rate is. I'll bet a pound to a pinch it's more than my colleagues are on. Oh and then there's the national insurance and tax they don't pay through creative accounting unlike my PAYE colleagues. "

Self employed do pay NI but in a different way. They pay the Class 2 NIC. However this does not cover all the benefits of a PAYE NI. Tax is paid on profits made.

After if SE don't pay their 'stamp' is does have repacusions You can and will be hospital operation unless it's brought up to date for one thing.

Self employed is not the bed of roses everyone thinks it is.

The GMB rep steve Garlic might be interested in your recipe "

I have literally spat my coffee across the living room!

By *nJ_NW_cplCouple  over a year ago

wirral

The unions are not the great power they once were but even today I believe our terms and conditions in work would be worse without them, not as bad as they would like you to think but still worse. Mr x

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

I’m FOR unions. My OH works tirelessly (& mostly thanklessly) for the rights of others in the workplace.

It’s not been the Unions who crashed the global economy, or paid themselves bonuses bigger than the employees at the bottom, or...

Anyway, I’m FOR - even though I’m self employed.

» Add a new message to this topic