FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *amiss OP   Couple  over a year ago

chelmsford

So have just been diagnosed with this. Not looking for medical advise, I can get that from my GP, interested in people's personal experience of the condition, any tips and particularly on medication. Have been prescribed levothyroxin, anyone have any thoughts on this. Thank you.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Levothyroxion treats the symptoms not the cause. Look at iodine supplementation would be my advice. Not personal experience but that of a previous partner

chelmsford

"Levothyroxion treats the symptoms not the cause. Look at iodine supplementation would be my advice. Not personal experience but that of a previous partner "

Thank you!

Other than that. It's ok to feel like crap, lethargic, etc, but exercise really is rather beneficial also

chelmsford

"Other than that. It's ok to feel like crap, lethargic, etc, but exercise really is rather beneficial also "

And I do feel just like that, going to do lots more walking.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Take the medication first ting in the morning, before anything else. Don't forget to take them.

The dose is in multiples of 25 and needs to be monitored until you get the dosage right. You might go up and down quite a bit till you're steady. They should then check you every 6 to 12 months.

For any natural remedies or supplements etc. the internet is your best bet. GPs like to treat not diagnose

"Other than that. It's ok to feel like crap, lethargic, etc, but exercise really is rather beneficial also

And I do feel just like that, going to do lots more walking. "

Perfect. From what I saw and experienced, the more active you can be the better. And diet seemed to be a big thing for her too. A natural (meat and veg) diet seemed to result in her being much happier and energetic in day to day life. Hope you manage to find a way to manage it well.

chelmsford

"Take the medication first ting in the morning, before anything else. Don't forget to take them.

The dose is in multiples of 25 and needs to be monitored until you get the dosage right. You might go up and down quite a bit till you're steady. They should then check you every 6 to 12 months.

For any natural remedies or supplements etc. the internet is your best bet. GPs like to treat not diagnose "

Thank you. She is starting me on 50 and I have to have 6 weekly blood tests for a while, I suppose that is to get the dosage right. Yes I have been scanning the internet, it's all come as a bit of a shock to me, used to looking after everyone else, not myself.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I've had hypothyroidism for 25 years. It's well controlled by medication (levothyroxine) and I have no problem with weight, lethargy or any of the other symptoms. I get checked every year or if my dosage is adjusted every three months until its stabilised.

I try to eat fish as often as possible and if I can find it use iodised salt. I always wear a scarf in any but the warmest of weather because my thyroid feels kind of funny if it gets a draught on it and I feel the cold if I don't move about.

In short once you get the right dose in most cases your life will continue as normal apart from having to take a tablet every day. Don't forget any change in dosage takes five days to kick in so if you forget for about three days you won't feel any negative effect until about five days later either.

chelmsford

"Other than that. It's ok to feel like crap, lethargic, etc, but exercise really is rather beneficial also

Perfect. From what I saw and experienced, the more active you can be the better. And diet seemed to be a big thing for her too. A natural (meat and veg) diet seemed to result in her being much happier and energetic in day to day life. Hope you manage to find a way to manage it well. "

Thank you, I appreciate that, just feeling a bit down at the moment, having always been healthy, guess it's the joys of becoming old!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Perfect. From what I saw and experienced, the more active you can be the better. And diet seemed to be a big thing for her too. A natural (meat and veg) diet seemed to result in her being much happier and energetic in day to day life. Hope you manage to find a way to manage it well.

Thank you, I appreciate that, just feeling a bit down at the moment, having always been healthy, guess it's the joys of becoming old! "

In my experience it won't have any effect on your life apart from having to take medication

chelmsford

"I've had hypothyroidism for 25 years. It's well controlled by medication (levothyroxine) and I have no problem with weight, lethargy or any of the other symptoms. I get checked every year or if my dosage is adjusted every three months until its stabilised.

I try to eat fish as often as possible and if I can find it use iodised salt. I always wear a scarf in any but the warmest of weather because my thyroid feels kind of funny if it gets a draught on it and I feel the cold if I don't move about.

In short once you get the right dose in most cases your life will continue as normal apart from having to take a tablet every day. Don't forget any change in dosage takes five days to kick in so if you forget for about three days you won't feel any negative effect until about five days later either."

Gosh, that's a long time! That's given me some confidence,it all sounded so scary. Not keen on fish, but sounds like the way to go. Originally went to GP with abdominal problems and lethargy and they did all the bloods and this is what they've come up with, also B12! Sound like a walking nightmare at the moment.!

chelmsford

Thank you, I appreciate that, just feeling a bit down at the moment, having always been healthy, guess it's the joys of becoming old!

In my experience it won't have any effect on your life apart from having to take medication "

That's comforting to know, thank you. Have you had any side effects from meds?

Be very carefum with herbal or "natural" remedies, levothyroxine conflicts with several things like St John's Wort. As has been said, take the pills early, at least half an hour before foid or anything with caffeine in it.

chelmsford

"Be very carefum with herbal or "natural" remedies, levothyroxine conflicts with several things like St John's Wort. As has been said, take the pills early, at least half an hour before foid or anything with caffeine in it."

Thank you. That's good to know. It's amazing how meds can conflict with natural remedies.

By *retty womanWoman  over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

I'm struggling with it at the moment. I was diagnosed about three months ago (I think I've had it for years). I feel tired and achy all the time and my sex drive is currently at -100%.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

In my experience it won't have any effect on your life apart from having to take medication

That's comforting to know, thank you. Have you had any side effects from meds?"

The only side effects I've had are positive ones . I would seriously counsel against reading too much on the net. Monitor yourself basically. Last year I was taking too much thyroxine but didn't realise it, I was losing weight, thought I'd developed an intolerance to certain food and not sleeping well...it all fell in to place at my yearly check when the doctor called to say I needed to drop down by 25mcg on my thyroxine .

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I've had hypothyroidism for 25 years. It's well controlled by medication (levothyroxine) and I have no problem with weight, lethargy or any of the other symptoms. I get checked every year or if my dosage is adjusted every three months until its stabilised.

In short once you get the right dose in most cases your life will continue as normal apart from having to take a tablet every day. Don't forget any change in dosage takes five days to kick in so if you forget for about three days you won't feel any negative effect until about five days later either.

Gosh, that's a long time! That's given me some confidence,it all sounded so scary. Not keen on fish, but sounds like the way to go. Originally went to GP with abdominal problems and lethargy and they did all the bloods and this is what they've come up with, also B12! Sound like a walking nightmare at the moment.! "

I was diagnosed when our youngest was six months old. Apparently pregnancy can give your thyroid a bashing

chelmsford

"I'm struggling with it at the moment. I was diagnosed about three months ago (I think I've had it for years). I feel tired and achy all the time and my sex drive is currently at -100%. "

Ah, bless you, I am exactly the same, zero libido, not great when you're on a swinging site!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I'm struggling with it at the moment. I was diagnosed about three months ago (I think I've had it for years). I feel tired and achy all the time and my sex drive is currently at -100%. "

Are you still being checked regularly?

Your libido will return when your medication is correct

chelmsford

The only side effects I've had are positive ones . I would seriously counsel against reading too much on the net. Monitor yourself basically. Last year I was taking too much thyroxine but didn't realise it, I was losing weight, thought I'd developed an intolerance to certain food and not sleeping well...it all fell in to place at my yearly check when the doctor called to say I needed to drop down by 25mcg on my thyroxine ."

You are being really helpful and thank you again. I've gained about half a stone, which makes me feel uncomfortable, so hopefully that will go in time. You are right about the internet, you read allsorts of horror stories on there!

Near Bournemouth

"I'm struggling with it at the moment. I was diagnosed about three months ago (I think I've had it for years). I feel tired and achy all the time and my sex drive is currently at -100%.

Your libido will return when your medication is correct"

I'm being checked once a month. Still not got the dosage right yet I'm also struggling with my weight (I put loads on and cant seem to shift it).

chelmsford

Gosh, that's a long time! That's given me some confidence,it all sounded so scary. Not keen on fish, but sounds like the way to go. Originally went to GP with abdominal problems and lethargy and they did all the bloods and this is what they've come up with, also B12! Sound like a walking nightmare at the moment.!

I was diagnosed when our youngest was six months old. Apparently pregnancy can give your thyroid a bashing "

Never knew that. It all sounded so scary when my GP phoned me this evening to go and collect pills, you have normalized it, I'm glad I posted this now!

chelmsford

"I'm struggling with it at the moment. I was diagnosed about three months ago (I think I've had it for years). I feel tired and achy all the time and my sex drive is currently at -100%.

I'm being checked once a month. Still not got the dosage right yet I'm also struggling with my weight (I put loads on and cant seem to shift it)."

I know that feeling, hopefully we will both get sorted soon.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

The only side effects I've had are positive ones . I would seriously counsel against reading too much on the net. Monitor yourself basically. Last year I was taking too much thyroxine but didn't realise it, I was losing weight, thought I'd developed an intolerance to certain food and not sleeping well...it all fell in to place at my yearly check when the doctor called to say I needed to drop down by 25mcg on my thyroxine .

You are being really helpful and thank you again. I've gained about half a stone, which makes me feel uncomfortable, so hopefully that will go in time. You are right about the internet, you read allsorts of horror stories on there!"

once you've got the correct dose of thyroxine you should lose that half a stone quite easily. I'm not an expert obviously and I know some people do struggle to get the correct dosage but the majority of us are easily and simply assessed over the course of a few months.

Don't push yourself while they're getting you sorted out but eat well and exercise as much as you feel able...don't push yourself.

Tell your dentist that you take thyroxine when you go and when you're prescribed any medication

Any questions feel free to ask I'll answer if I can

Near Bournemouth

I'm being checked once a month. Still not got the dosage right yet I'm also struggling with my weight (I put loads on and cant seem to shift it).

I know that feeling, hopefully we will both get sorted soon. "

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm being checked once a month. Still not got the dosage right yet I'm also struggling with my weight (I put loads on and cant seem to shift it)."

Hope you get sorted soon

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I was diagnosed when our youngest was six months old. Apparently pregnancy can give your thyroid a bashing

Never knew that. It all sounded so scary when my GP phoned me this evening to go and collect pills, you have normalized it, I'm glad I posted this now! "

I'm happy I could do that.

Nobody has ever accused me of being normal before

Near Bournemouth

Hope you get sorted soon "

Thank you. So do I lol

chelmsford

You are being really helpful and thank you again. I've gained about half a stone, which makes me feel uncomfortable, so hopefully that will go in time. You are right about the internet, you read allsorts of horror stories on there!

once you've got the correct dose of thyroxine you should lose that half a stone quite easily. I'm not an expert obviously and I know some people do struggle to get the correct dosage but the majority of us are easily and simply assessed over the course of a few months.

Don't push yourself while they're getting you sorted out but eat well and exercise as much as you feel able...don't push yourself.

Tell your dentist that you take thyroxine when you go and when you're prescribed any medication

Any questions feel free to ask I'll answer if I can "

Ah bless you, you've made me feel heaps better, I've been a real grumpy cow this evening! Going to pop you on my hot list as my thyroid 'buddy'!

chelmsford

Never knew that. It all sounded so scary when my GP phoned me this evening to go and collect pills, you have normalized it, I'm glad I posted this now!

I'm happy I could do that.

Nobody has ever accused me of being normal before "

It's not a bad thing sometimes!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ah bless you, you've made me feel heaps better, I've been a real grumpy cow this evening! Going to pop you on my hot list as my thyroid 'buddy'! "

I'm glad

chelmsford

"Ah bless you, you've made me feel heaps better, I've been a real grumpy cow this evening! Going to pop you on my hot list as my thyroid 'buddy'!

I'm glad"

"Be very carefum with herbal or "natural" remedies, levothyroxine conflicts with several things like St John's Wort. As has been said, take the pills early, at least half an hour before foid or anything with caffeine in it.

Thank you. That's good to know. It's amazing how meds can conflict with natural remedies."

Chemicals are chemicals. Doesn't matter if they came out of a tree or lab.

chelmsford

"Be very carefum with herbal or "natural" remedies, levothyroxine conflicts with several things like St John's Wort. As has been said, take the pills early, at least half an hour before foid or anything with caffeine in it.

Thank you. That's good to know. It's amazing how meds can conflict with natural remedies.

Chemicals are chemicals. Doesn't matter if they came out of a tree or lab."

Yes, get your point.

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Gosh, that's a long time! That's given me some confidence,it all sounded so scary. Not keen on fish, but sounds like the way to go. Originally went to GP with abdominal problems and lethargy and they did all the bloods and this is what they've come up with, also B12! Sound like a walking nightmare at the moment.! "

Is it the omega3 you need? Theres suppliments for that im sure. If im barking up wrong tree ignore me.

chelmsford

Is it the omega3 you need? Theres suppliments for that im sure. If im barking up wrong tree ignore me."

I think you're right, it's found in oily fish, I think. Not a great fish lover, but if it helps, I'll eat it!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Is it the omega3 you need? Theres suppliments for that im sure. If im barking up wrong tree ignore me."

hypothyroidism is when your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone or T4. The only treatment is a replacement synthetic hormone such as levothyroxine.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ah bless you, you've made me feel heaps better, I've been a real grumpy cow this evening! Going to pop you on my hot list as my thyroid 'buddy'!

I'm glad

"

ps did you know that you will be entitled to free prescriptions? You need to apply for a medical exemption certificate, your pharmacist can help you there.

chelmsford

Is it the omega3 you need? Theres suppliments for that im sure. If im barking up wrong tree ignore me.

hypothyroidism is when your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone or T4. The only treatment is a replacement synthetic hormone such as levothyroxine. "

chelmsford

I'm glad

ps did you know that you will be entitled to free prescriptions? You need to apply for a medical exemption certificate, your pharmacist can help you there."

I didn't know until my GP told me, that's quite a saving. Didn't realise it would be a lifelong thing, I think that's what scared me

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"ps did you know that you will be entitled to free prescriptions? You need to apply for a medical exemption certificate, your pharmacist can help you there.

I didn't know until my GP told me, that's quite a saving. Didn't realise it would be a lifelong thing, I think that's what scared me "

its because its a replacement hormone. Now I'm 60 I get prescriptions free anyway but over the years its saved me a fortune.

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

I'm glad

ps did you know that you will be entitled to free prescriptions? You need to apply for a medical exemption certificate, your pharmacist can help you there.

I didn't know until my GP told me, that's quite a saving. Didn't realise it would be a lifelong thing, I think that's what scared me "

Anything long term is a wake up call. If it's manageable with a pill and especially for free you'll soon enough consider it routine daily life.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm glad

It does bring you up with a start when you realise its forever. I genuinely don't think about it and taking my tablets last thing at night is just normal to me after 25 years .

chelmsford

"ps did you know that you will be entitled to free prescriptions? You need to apply for a medical exemption certificate, your pharmacist can help you there.

I didn't know until my GP told me, that's quite a saving. Didn't realise it would be a lifelong thing, I think that's what scared me

its because its a replacement hormone. Now I'm 60 I get prescriptions free anyway but over the years its saved me a fortune. "

It makes me wonder how long I've had this, talking to you. I very rarely go to the doctors and have family members I look after, so tend to forget about myself!

chelmsford

I'm glad

Anything long term is a wake up call. If it's manageable with a pill and especially for free you'll soon enough consider it routine daily life."

Ah, thank you. Feeling more positive now.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

its because its a replacement hormone. Now I'm 60 I get prescriptions free anyway but over the years its saved me a fortune.

It makes me wonder how long I've had this, talking to you. I very rarely go to the doctors and have family members I look after, so tend to forget about myself!"

When I was first diagnosed I asked the doctor if it was possible that I'd had a slightly underactive thyroid for a long time and he said yes. Its easy to ignore tiredness, achy limbs etc. My mum packed me off to the doctors.

chelmsford

I'm glad

It does bring you up with a start when you realise its forever. I genuinely don't think about it and taking my tablets last thing at night is just normal to me after 25 years . "

Well I hope I get 25 years more, but I doubt it

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm glad

It does bring you up with a start when you realise its forever. I genuinely don't think about it and taking my tablets last thing at night is just normal to me after 25 years .

Well I hope I get 25 years more, but I doubt it "

I'm planning on 40 more

chelmsford

It makes me wonder how long I've had this, talking to you. I very rarely go to the doctors and have family members I look after, so tend to forget about myself!

When I was first diagnosed I asked the doctor if it was possible that I'd had a slightly underactive thyroid for a long time and he said yes. Its easy to ignore tiredness, achy limbs etc. My mum packed me off to the doctors. "

Yes you are right and that's exactly what I have done. Went to GP with abdominal problems and mentioned I was very tired and she sent me for all the blood tests. Also pee and poo samples, haven't had results for those yet, so watch this space!! Thinks I might have an ulcer or bacterial infection!

chelmsford

I'm glad

Well I hope I get 25 years more, but I doubt it

I'm planning on 40 more "

And I hope you get them!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"When I was first diagnosed I asked the doctor if it was possible that I'd had a slightly underactive thyroid for a long time and he said yes. Its easy to ignore tiredness, achy limbs etc. My mum packed me off to the doctors.

Yes you are right and that's exactly what I have done. Went to GP with abdominal problems and mentioned I was very tired and she sent me for all the blood tests. Also pee and poo samples, haven't had results for those yet, so watch this space!! Thinks I might have an ulcer or bacterial infection! "

You're having a rough time of it. Hope its all resolved soon.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I've not got anything to add to this, but I've had a read through out of interest and I just wanna say how nice it is too see people passing on their knowledge, experiences and support.

Yaaaaay xx

Hope all settles asap xxx

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I've not got anything to add to this, but I've had a read through out of interest and I just wanna say how nice it is too see people passing on their knowledge, experiences and support.

Yaaaaay xx

Hope all settles asap xxx"

I'm just happy that someone thinks I'm able to normalise something and I'm on a hot list

chelmsford

"When I was first diagnosed I asked the doctor if it was possible that I'd had a slightly underactive thyroid for a long time and he said yes. Its easy to ignore tiredness, achy limbs etc. My mum packed me off to the doctors.

Yes you are right and that's exactly what I have done. Went to GP with abdominal problems and mentioned I was very tired and she sent me for all the blood tests. Also pee and poo samples, haven't had results for those yet, so watch this space!! Thinks I might have an ulcer or bacterial infection!

You're having a rough time of it. Hope its all resolved soon."

Thank you lovely! Off to bed now I've calmed down and thank you for your kindness, really put my mind at rest. xx

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Thank you lovely! Off to bed now I've calmed down and thank you for your kindness, really put my mind at rest. xx"

more than happy to have helped. Sleep tight

chelmsford

"I've not got anything to add to this, but I've had a read through out of interest and I just wanna say how nice it is too see people passing on their knowledge, experiences and support.

Yaaaaay xx

Hope all settles asap xxx"

Thanks pp! I knew there would be someone on here with some experience or knowledge of this, was dubious about posting, but glad I did now

chelmsford

Thank you lovely! Off to bed now I've calmed down and thank you for your kindness, really put my mind at rest. xx

more than happy to have helped. Sleep tight "

Thank you, you too.xxx

» Add a new message to this topic