FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Its better when it's free.

Its better when it's free.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How many toys can you remember getting from cereal boxes, or from

magazines when you were younger? You'd bugged your parents to buy coco pops just for the freebie or saved your money up to buy Look In for something sellotaped (or other branded sticky tape) to the front . Or worse, saved up those tokens to send off for your prize.

Did you ever get anything decent? Or can you remember one that really sucked chunks. Do they have free stuff in boxes of food anymore?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It was the bowls I enjoyed saving up. I still have some kicking around that must be over 30 years old

"It was the bowls I enjoyed saving up. I still have some kicking around that must be over 30 years old "

Do you have a weetabix I el? I have the cup as well somewhere.

Robinsons Jam Golliwog Collectables....

Bazooka Joe Bubble Gum vouchers ....

I seem to remember you needed to collect 1000 vouchers to get a working Jet-Pack

I remember saving up the little tokens inside of bubble gum and wanting a musical jewellery box with them. Sent it off and I think they sent me a doll instead. Very disappointed. Can't remember anything from cereals x

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

"How many toys can you remember getting from cereal boxes, or from

magazines when you were younger? You'd bugged your parents to buy coco pops just for the freebie or saved your money up to buy Look In for something sellotaped (or other branded sticky tape) to the front . Or worse, saved up those tokens to send off for your prize.

Did you ever get anything decent? Or can you remember one that really sucked chunks. Do they have free stuff in boxes of food anymore? "

I can't remember seeing toys in cereal for ages though I got (well, my daughter got) a Star Wars spoon from a box of Rice Crispies a while ago and we had a knitted monkey thing in a box of tea bags too. Somehow that doesn't seem as thrilling as when you were a kid though. You can usually find a free nail varnish or eyeliner or similar each month in at least one of the women's magazines - if it hasn't already been nicked that is ...

Does anyone remember cutting out the 7inch vinyl of the latest pop song that they started to include on back on cereal boxes. Showing my age here.

Free games on cassettes taped to the front of zx spectrum magazines

Cannot remember from which cereal it came from, but leading up to Italia 90 you could get little plastic figures of World Cup mascots although you had to send off for Ciao, the mascot for that year. I still have all of the figures in a box somewhere. I found them when I moved house last year.

"Does anyone remember cutting out the 7inch vinyl of the latest pop song that they started to include on back on cereal boxes. Showing my age here. "

Smash hits magazine did the same

"Free games on cassettes taped to the front of zx spectrum magazines"

I got a bmx simulator game that way. I

Loved that top view racer.

"I remember saving up the little tokens inside of bubble gum and wanting a musical jewellery box with them. Sent it off and I think they sent me a doll instead. Very disappointed. Can't remember anything from cereals x "

Do you remember the cartoons you got in bazooka joes?

By *hy-totCouple  over a year ago

Skellow

we got 1 them monkeys lol

"I remember saving up the little tokens inside of bubble gum and wanting a musical jewellery box with them. Sent it off and I think they sent me a doll instead. Very disappointed. Can't remember anything from cereals x

Do you remember the cartoons you got in bazooka joes? "

No tell me about them....

I got a 'working' submarine, and boat from cereal.

You opened them and put bicarbonate of soda in them.

Made the boat shoot through the water, and the submarine would sink then float up, and then sink and float again.

At least i think it was bicarbonate.

Used to love finding the little free toy in the cereal. Was always just some plastic nonsense but it didn't matter when you were a kid

"I remember saving up the little tokens inside of bubble gum and wanting a musical jewellery box with them. Sent it off and I think they sent me a doll instead. Very disappointed. Can't remember anything from cereals x

No tell me about them.... "

Let me build up the anticipation a bit more. I need to make this take of nostalgia as exciting as I can.

"Does anyone remember cutting out the 7inch vinyl of the latest pop song that they started to include on back on cereal boxes. Showing my age here.

Smash hits magazine did the same"

So remember any of the songs you got?

Oh I was savvy as a child, I wrote to as many companies as I could asking for free stuff! I always put a sae in too just to make sure lol And I still do it now

I write reviews for authors and get free signed first editions now instead of of posters of garden birds from RSPB

Peach x

By *anky_PankyWoman  over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

"Does anyone remember cutting out the 7inch vinyl of the latest pop song that they started to include on back on cereal boxes. Showing my age here. "

What blummin cereals did you eat in your gaff?? At mine it was Weetabix with the character stickers and cards - and they were crap!! Haha

No tell me about them....

Let me build up the anticipation a bit more. I need to make this take of nostalgia as exciting as I can. "

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.....

Bazooka joes! I'd forgotten about them! Didn't they have tattoos in their wrappers too? Or was that another sweet?

Peach x

Filthy Fuckeryville

Do remember my Mum n Dad getting a set of glasses with petrol vouchers things. We got em quick as my dad used to fill up the works flat bed even though he was the boss, just to get the vouchers lmao

Flexi discs..used to knacker your needle

"Does anyone remember cutting out the 7inch vinyl of the latest pop song that they started to include on back on cereal boxes. Showing my age here.

What blummin cereals did you eat in your gaff?? At mine it was Weetabix with the character stickers and cards - and they were crap!! Haha "

I think it was cornflakes that did the vinyls. You pushed them out of the perforation and you had a 7inch. If only eh?

"Do remember my Mum n Dad getting a set of glasses with petrol vouchers things. We got em quick as my dad used to fill up the works flat bed even though he was the boss, just to get the vouchers lmao "

Green shield stamps?

I remember my grandma getting free crockery from the Co-op and ended up with full dinner service .

My parents never was drawn into free stuff off cereal box etc felt deprived .Lol

By *uriousduosCouple  over a year ago

St Leonards

Ooooo I remember saving up the corners of Reibina cartons and sending off hundreds for a baseball cap that had a build in radio with earphones and a massive aerial sticking out the top!

"I remember my grandma getting free crockery from the Co-op and ended up with full dinner service .

My parents never was drawn into free stuff off cereal box etc felt deprived .Lol "

That tea set might be an heirloom, could turn up on Bargain Hunt

I used to love shrinky dinks as a kid from the cereals.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Can remember the toys in cereal boxes thing although not what any of them were.

Yes Peach, Bazooka Joes did have one of those dip in warm water tattoos in them - always came out smudged.

A few more to add to the mix:

- Action Man stars - on the side of every Action Man packet were stars you could collect and send off for 'exclusive' stuff - I saved for ages to get the most expensive thing which was a Canadian Mountie uniform that came with a boxer dog - saw it years later selling for a ridiculous amount of money.

- Petrol station coin collections - you'd get a coin (usually with World Cup or Olympic related things on) with every purchase that you could stick in a collector's card.

- Cigarette and tea cards - my Grandad had hundreds of them on various topics think it was PG Tips did them with tea

Oh and one more - there were bubble gums that had cards where one side was an information thing and the other was part of a bigger picture that you needed to collect all the cards to see the picture - the one I remember was related to the TV series Kung Fu

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

"

I can't remember seeing toys in cereal for ages though I got (well, my daughter got) a Star Wars spoon from a box of Rice Crispies a while ago and we had a knitted monkey thing in a box of tea bags too. Somehow that doesn't seem as thrilling as when you were a kid though. You can usually find a free nail varnish or eyeliner or similar each month in at least one of the women's magazines - if it hasn't already been nicked that is ..."

i have quite a few of the monkeys....and was seen to do a happy dance when i found my gruffalo yorkshire tree tea tin

i remember the cards with the tea..have some completed books with them somewhere...and cassettes on magazines...loads of them!

I remember Esso tiger tokens, my mum dad used to collect the tokens and share them out just before the end of the holidays. Me and my brother would then flick through the catalogue, decide what crap we wanted and cash them in. I remember getting a t-shirt, baseball cap and a engraved glass tankard.

Fuzz

"Oh I was savvy as a child, I wrote to as many companies as I could asking for free stuff! I always put a sae in too just to make sure lol And I still do it now

I write reviews for authors and get free signed first editions now instead of of posters of garden birds from RSPB

Peach x"

That's impressive, did you get given much stuff

Filthy Fuckeryville

"I remember Esso tiger tokens, my mum dad used to collect the tokens and share them out just before the end of the holidays. Me and my brother would then flick through the catalogue, decide what crap we wanted and cash them in. I remember getting a t-shirt, baseball cap and a engraved glass tankard.

Fuzz"

These are what I was talking about!!! Lol

Filthy Fuckeryville

"Do remember my Mum n Dad getting a set of glasses with petrol vouchers things. We got em quick as my dad used to fill up the works flat bed even though he was the boss, just to get the vouchers lmao

Green shield stamps? "

Nope peach has just mentioned them - Esso tiger tokens

I've spent £30 on fuel in a shell garage to get a leg of ferrari

Bloody phone lego ferrari

"Bloody phone lego ferrari "

Ha! For a minute I thought that was a posh cut of lamb

Yes they were always good. My mom wasn't into buying cereals for the free stuff though I remember her collecting the green shield stamps. And I've got a box full of cards and a 3D viewer from weetabix off my grandparents. And they had all the cards out of the fag packets x

Yes they were always good. My mom wasn't into buying cereals for the free stuff though I remember her collecting the green shield stamps. And I've got a box full of cards and a 3D viewer from weetabix off my grandparents. And they had all the cards out of the fag packets x "

Are they the cards you collected from Embassy/regal ? id forgotten all about those. They're was a shop in Manchester that let you cash them in. I think I got a Walkman when I was in college. I used to collect off my mates, even picked them up off the floor when I was getting close to how many I needed.

Yes they were always good. My mom wasn't into buying cereals for the free stuff though I remember her collecting the green shield stamps. And I've got a box full of cards and a 3D viewer from weetabix off my grandparents. And they had all the cards out of the fag packets x

Are they the cards you collected from Embassy/regal ? id forgotten all about those. They're was a shop in Manchester that let you cash them in. I think I got a Walkman when I was in college. I used to collect off my mates, even picked them up off the floor when I was getting close to how many I needed. "

Yes they are. I remember when we were going through their things after they'd gone and finding boxes full x

Years ago in the VHS release's of Star Trek episodes (two epidodes per tape per month) they had Latinum point stickers you could collect. Some of items were pretty cool, like a cd walkman shaped like the Defiant ship from DS9.

The Lego comics are good to buy now, mini model or minifig with every issue.

"Do remember my Mum n Dad getting a set of glasses with petrol vouchers things. We got em quick as my dad used to fill up the works flat bed even though he was the boss, just to get the vouchers lmao

Green shield stamps?

Nope peach has just mentioned them - Esso tiger tokens "

Ahem!

FUZZ

"Bloody phone lego ferrari "

Have you still got it?

Although a leg/wheel of a Ferrari would've been just as cool

Fuzz

"I remember my grandma getting free crockery from the Co-op and ended up with full dinner service .

My parents never was drawn into free stuff off cereal box etc felt deprived .Lol

That tea set might be an heirloom, could turn up on Bargain Hunt"

When she died I got them and quite nice but I did put them away

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Tony the Tiger spokey dokeys.

"I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Tony the Tiger spokey dokeys. "

We were waiting for you. Everyone had those.

The damn noise when more than two of you rode together was amazing.

(Sounds familiar on a swinging site eh?)

I still have the red mugs and teaspoons collected from nescafe

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

I remember saving the Tony the tiger tokens from packets of frosties for free gifts, I had loads!

And my dad saving Shell points to collect wine glasses, he's teatotal.

"I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Tony the Tiger spokey dokeys.

We were waiting for you. Everyone had those.

The damn noise when more than two of you rode together was amazing.

(Sounds familiar on a swinging site eh?) "

Got my spokey dokeys from cereal packets.... Kellogg's cornflakes I think....also reflectors and wheel card clackers

Fuzz

I used to collect the cards from boxes of tea. I'd forgotten about them until just then.

I bet boxes of cereal don't have toys now because of health and safety.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Happy Meal toys from McD's either - mostly crap but do remember years ago someone asking an Antiques Roadshow expert what people should keep that will be valuable in years to come and they were one thing mentioned.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

"Robinsons Jam Golliwog Collectables....

I seem to remember you needed to collect 1000 vouchers to get a working Jet-Pack

"

Not the golliwog word... you'll start another avalanche

Ooops

Auto car got changed that word 4 times before accepting it. The mac_ines are winning

Ooops

Auto car got changed that word 4 times before accepting it. The mac_ines are winning "

In my 'ouse we always had Sun Pat

I'm always super PC, as you know

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

Ooops

Auto car got changed that word 4 times before accepting it. The mac_ines are winning "

I'll go buy some popcorn from the very nice Sri Lankan gentleman who runs the convenience store around the corner.

» Add a new message to this topic