bikes and mobility scooters

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *nnejohn OP   Couple  over a year ago

warrington

registration and insurance ? i say yes

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No.....

But I support the idea of appropriate sentencing for cyclists and mobility scooter riders who break the law....

Pedestrian hold primacy over all other road users .....

Authorities have enough problems ensuring that motor vehicles are correctly insured and registered without heaping more intonthe mix. Who's going to pay for the increase in work load, and systems to ensure that happens with your suggestion?

"registration and insurance ? i say yes"

YES!

Hmmm, yes if you include shopping trollies, wheeled suitcases and umbrellas.

I think all road users including pedestrians should pay for damage done to other persons or property. Out of their pocket or via public liability type insurance should be a matter of choice.

The law does need to be updated a bit to include non motorised vehicles, but needs to be worded to cover a wide range of things. The more specific the law is especially for obscure offences the more laws you need.

How about dropping the causing death by dangerous driving law and replace it with an accidental manslaughter law. Also add an accidental bodily harm law that can cover a wide range of offences.

I think that anything motorised and could be use on the public road/path should be registered and insured.

Old dears on a mobility scooter can cause damage or injury to another party.

nah, too much red tape in the world already

How would that work?

I think there should be tighter regulations on who can have access to them. The old and infirm definitely overweight or playing the system no way

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Hmmm, yes if you include shopping trollies, wheeled suitcases and umbrellas.

I think all road users including pedestrians should pay for damage done to other persons or property. Out of their pocket or via public liability type insurance should be a matter of choice.

The law does need to be updated a bit to include non motorised vehicles, but needs to be worded to cover a wide range of things. The more specific the law is especially for obscure offences the more laws you need.

How about dropping the causing death by dangerous driving law and replace it with an accidental manslaughter law. Also add an accidental bodily harm law that can cover a wide range of offences."

death by dangerous driving is no accident. An accident is due to an event that is not foreseeable. Driving dangerously is a choice, so how can that be covered in a new law of accidental 'whatever'. Why do you think the Police call vehicle crashes incidents and not accidents as 99% of the time there is a cause, which could be due to a defective vehicle (motorised or non motorised) or the way someone decides to drive

"registration and insurance ? i say yes

How would that work? "

Registration by serial number ?

Then legal requirement to have insurance.

Sorry my last post was directed solely at mobility scooters. cyclists should be shot especially the lycra brigade even Bradley Wiggins thinks they look like twats

How would that work?

Then legal requirement to have insurance. "

Would I need to register my mountain bike that I only ever ride off road?

Would my 6 year old niece have to re gaiter her bike that she uses in the park?

Would she or I need insurance?

How would that work?

Then legal requirement to have insurance. "

at what age should this start? i take it you wouldn't expect kids to insure and register bikes?

"Sorry my last post was directed solely at mobility scooters. cyclists should be shot especially the lycra brigade even Bradley Wiggins thinks they look like twats"

Thanks for the compliment.

"Sorry my last post was directed solely at mobility scooters. cyclists should be shot especially the lycra brigade even Bradley Wiggins thinks they look like twats"

Though i guess the confusion has ariaen as you started a thread called "bikes and mobility scooters"

each cyclist is one car space not taken up on the road, i say let more people cycle and get out of their cars. it's us car drivers that are the self entitled pricks of the roads, like we somehow have more of a right than other folk, just because it costs us more and we have more paperwork to complete to be there. they have the same rights as us to be there, even if they do look like knobs

"Sorry my last post was directed solely at mobility scooters. cyclists should be shot especially the lycra brigade even Bradley Wiggins thinks they look like twats

Though i guess the confusion has ariaen as you started a thread called "bikes and mobility scooters""

i never started the thread

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

You don’t need a licence to drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you may have to register it. Only certain types can be driven on the road.

Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs come in 2 categories:

‘class 2 invalid carriages’ - these can’t be used on the road (except where there isn’t a pavement) and have a maximum speed of 4mph

‘class 3 invalid carriages’ - these can be used on the road, and have a maximum speed of 4mph off the road, and 8mph on the road

You don’t need to register a class 2 invalid carriage.

You must register class 3 invalid carriages.

*You can’t drive on bus lanes, ‘cycle only’ lanes or motorways. Avoid using dual carriageways with a speed limit of over 50mph.

"Sorry my last post was directed solely at mobility scooters. cyclists should be shot especially the lycra brigade even Bradley Wiggins thinks they look like twats

each cyclist is one car space not taken up on the road, i say let more people cycle and get out of their cars. it's us car drivers that are the self entitled pricks of the roads, like we somehow have more of a right than other folk, just because it costs us more and we have more paperwork to complete to be there. they have the same rights as us to be there, even if they do look like knobs "

Actually bikes rake a reaction of the space used by a car. If you compare the road space required by 50 cyclists, 5o bus passengers and 50 motorists then it's very apparent where the problems with congestion lie.

But I entirely agree with you

"Actually bikes rake a reaction of the space used by a car. If you compare the road space required by 50 cyclists, 5o bus passengers and 50 motorists then it's very apparent where the problems with congestion lie.

But I entirely agree with you "

Unfortunately 50 bus passengers often require 60 busses on the road, and bikes with 2.4 children and a weeks shopping take quite a bit of space too...

Only solution is to only let people out of their homes on their birthday.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Bone idle more like

"Death by dangerous driving is no accident. An accident is due to an event that is not foreseeable. Driving dangerously is a choice, so how can that be covered in a new law of accidental 'whatever'. Why do you think the Police call vehicle crashes incidents and not accidents as 99% of the time there is a cause, which could be due to a defective vehicle (motorised or non motorised) or the way someone decides to drive "

That's just not true, the driver who killed my first wife was travelling at double the speed limit, and over the drink drive limit. Death certificate says Acccidental death, not incidental death.

The cyclist that caused this debate by killing a pedestrian knowingly bought and used a non road legal bike with no front brake. That without the sensible clause for idiocy could be construed as a deliberate attempt to cause death, i.e. murder not manslaughter or causing death by negligence.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Imagine how dangerous a bike would be with a two foot number plate on the back.

Absolutely and not only that but medical justification for using a scooter in the first place

Far too many on the streets these days, mostly driven by people who look like walking would benefit the anyway.

East Hull

"

At least they would be easier to see.

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

And phone users should be licenced and insured for when they step into the road without looking.

As the daughter of a scooter user a lot of them do have to have insurance and you can't purchase them now depending on size without this (from new)

"And phone users should be licenced and insured for when they step into the road without looking."

Good point....and especially them mothers who are on the phone and push their bloody pushchair straight over the curb without looking

Scunthorpe

At least they would be easier to see."

If you are struggling to see a cyclist in daylight, I would question whether you are safe to drive

Nita

Scunthorpe

I am a cyclist, and personally wouldn't gave a problem with being registered. I also completely agree that the laws need changing to hold cyclists to account for our actions.

In practice, registration is probably impractical and would cost a fortune. Plus at a time when governments are desperate to get people out of cars in favour of greener transport, doing something to make that transition harder isn't logical.

And finally, the number of people injured by cyclists in a year is less than the number injured in car accidents in a day... so keep things in context.

Cal

How would that work?

Then legal requirement to have insurance.

Would I need to register my mountain bike that I only ever ride off road?

Would my 6 year old niece have to re gaiter her bike that she uses in the park?

Would she or I need insurance?"

But my previous post did say ' motorised'

By *imandHerNottsCouple  over a year ago

North Notts

No.

It is confusing how helmets for cyclists aren’t mandatory and they definitely should be.

Mobility scooters are completely different. IMHO more than 50% of scooter drivers are simply lazy, obese or sadly both.

East Hull

If you are struggling to see a cyclist in daylight, I would question whether you are safe to drive

Nita"

I agree Nita, but "sorry mate I didn't see you" seems to be the first thing a car driver says to a cyclist on the floor

Scunthorpe

Nita

I agree Nita, but "sorry mate I didn't see you" seems to be the first thing a car driver says to a cyclist on the floor "

Again, that says more about the driver than the cyclist. As drivers, we are all responsible for "looking for" potential hazards.

Cal

By *nne CallanWoman  over a year ago

Nothing to see here. Please move along.

I use a mobility scooter and I have insurance. It covers theft as well as if I'm in an accident. Costs about £65 a year

each cyclist is one car space not taken up on the road, i say let more people cycle and get out of their cars. it's us car drivers that are the self entitled pricks of the roads, like we somehow have more of a right than other folk, just because it costs us more and we have more paperwork to complete to be there. they have the same rights as us to be there, even if they do look like knobs

Actually bikes rake a reaction of the space used by a car. If you compare the road space required by 50 cyclists, 5o bus passengers and 50 motorists then it's very apparent where the problems with congestion lie.

But I entirely agree with you "

i dunno what it's like by you but here there are a good number of cycleways/paths separate from the roads that folk seem to use too so they'll absorb people completely off the roads, or good portions of them anyhow

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

It's been debated for cyclists, and it's totaly unworkable.

Premiums are based like all vehicles, on value, risk & possible damage.

It woukd cost more in admin & legislation than they could charge for a bike.

Saying that, if a cyclist is a member of a club, the CTC, or British Cycling then they have insurance as part of their membership.

As a BC coach I have £5M public liability cover, which is way better than any car driver on the road

Road cyclists are a hazard. Cars are a hazard. Scooters are a hazard. Pedestrians are a hazard.

On the road, everything is a hazard. It's just no one acts like it. That's the problem

Scunthorpe

"Road cyclists are a hazard. Cars are a hazard. Scooters are a hazard. Pedestrians are a hazard.

On the road, everything is a hazard. It's just no one acts like it. That's the problem "

No one is a big generalisation. .. but certainly far too many people have too many lapses of concentration

Or simply expect others to make way...

Nita

"Road cyclists are a hazard. Cars are a hazard. Scooters are a hazard. Pedestrians are a hazard.

On the road, everything is a hazard. It's just no one acts like it. That's the problem

No one is a big generalisation. .. but certainly far too many people have too many lapses of concentration

Or simply expect others to make way...

Nita "

Nope...all people...bunch of bastards!

Shit idea.

What's next? Kids scooters, a license for walking in public?

We need more people getting their lazy arses on bikes. Not less.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"I think there should be tighter regulations on who can have access to them. The old and infirm definitely overweight or playing the system no way"

What if the person has become overweight because of the lack of ability to walk?

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

After an operation I had chance to use a mobility scooter thingy in a supermarket.

I was not a danger to anyone. In fact practically no one looked where they were going and kept walking out in front of me.

I even used the bell but to no avail. So the insurance, if any at all, needs to be on the dumb pedestrians not the scooters

"I think there should be tighter regulations on who can have access to them. The old and infirm definitely overweight or playing the system no way

What if the person has become overweight because of the lack of ability to walk? "

There are other ways of exercising (and they need to eat less).

East Hull

"After an operation I had chance to use a mobility scooter thingy in a supermarket.

I was not a danger to anyone. In fact practically no one looked where they were going and kept walking out in front of me.

I even used the bell but to no avail. So the insurance, if any at all, needs to be on the dumb pedestrians not the scooters "

Like car drivers being blamed when dumb pedestrians walk out in front of them.

I remember being a kid playing kerby with my mates, as soon as my of us heard a car, we shouted CAR! and got the hell off the road pronto! Some pedestrians think they own the road, and the law to back them up.

Pedestrians do own the road. They have right of way.

East Hull

"Pedestrians do own the road. They have right of way."

I have common sense, I know I'm not gonna win a game of chicken against a ton of car so stay out their way, so they don't have to try and brake like a formula 1 car to avoid an accident but end up having one anyway.

"Pedestrians do own the road. They have right of way.

I have common sense, I know I'm not gonna win a game of chicken against a ton of car so stay out their way, so they don't have to try and brake like a formula 1 car to avoid an accident but end up having one anyway."

This is sensible

Where I live there are many roads with no paths. The amount of drivers that look at you like you're out of your mind for walking on them reveals a great deal about who really thinks they own the road. They're the same people that believe bikes, horses and tractors are all in their way.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Cyclists are insured if the have membership to the bcf or rttc, then most have house insurance.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"I think there should be tighter regulations on who can have access to them. The old and infirm definitely overweight or playing the system no way"

I have seen a few able bodied people use a mobility scooter, as they are cheaper to run than a car.

East Hull

"Pedestrians do own the road. They have right of way.

I have common sense, I know I'm not gonna win a game of chicken against a ton of car so stay out their way, so they don't have to try and brake like a formula 1 car to avoid an accident but end up having one anyway.

This is sensible

Where I live there are many roads with no paths. The amount of drivers that look at you like you're out of your mind for walking on them reveals a great deal about who really thinks they own the road. They're the same people that believe bikes, horses and tractors are all in their way."

I see people who walk out in front of cars knowing full well if they get hit it's gonna be the drivers fault, if I did that as a kid I'd be dragged home and got a right telling off from my mum, and been given the empty thread of her telling my dad, I'd never seen my dad get angry once, but the fear was enough for me to use the green cross code.

» Add a new message to this topic