FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > School Uniforms

School Uniforms

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

No not in the pervy sense you naughty lot .

I was having a chat with my son last night who has just left school and gone to College. When I was asking him if he had settled in ok he made a point of it being so much easier to learn things than it was at school. When I asked him how, he said he felt more comfortable and relaxed in his own clothes rather than have to sit in a shirt , tie and blazer when he was at school. Do you think uniforms should be done away with to make kids more at ease these days, it would certainly be a lot bloody cheaper for the parents too

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think uniforms for up to 6th form are still a great tradition, after 6th form then adopt a different rule set.

Provide an identity for kids and pride in the school.

As for the naughty stuff...not sure really...

No I think school uniform is a great way to neutralise the natural instinct of kids to pressurise their parents into spending silly money on clothes that will be worn for school ....

I think you've made valid points OP but I'd be in favour of uniforms especially in socially diverse schools. Uniforms mean every child is dressed equally and no kid can be made fun of for not dressing in the latest labels.

"I think you've made valid points OP but I'd be in favour of uniforms especially in socially diverse schools. Uniforms mean every child is dressed equally and no kid can be made fun of for not dressing in the latest labels."

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't reckon it would be cheaper, imagine the amount of clothes and shoes you would have to buy to keep up with the next kid

Without uniforms in schools it would become a fashion show .Then kids who's parents didn't buy them the latest fashion they would feel uncomfortable .Uniforms make everyone the same .

I don't like the concept of school uniforms. Taking individuality away from kids at such a young and formative age. It almost as if authorities are teaching them to become the neutral, everyone will look the same, drones that they want us to become in adulthood.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

"Without uniforms in schools it would become a fashion show .Then kids who's parents didn't buy them the latest fashion they would feel uncomfortable .Uniforms make everyone the same .

"

Agreed - uniforms don't necessarily have to be expensive either if schools take a realistic approach - same colour trousers and polo shirts, job done.

It also saves having to have the 'you're not going out in *that*' argument with your teen Monday to Friday!

As a parent it makes it so much easier. My daughter takes long enough deciding what bow to put in her hair. Imagine if she had to decide what to wear as well!!

"I don't reckon it would be cheaper, imagine the amount of clothes and shoes you would have to buy to keep up with the next kid"
valid point

"As a parent it makes it so much easier. My daughter takes long enough deciding what bow to put in her hair. Imagine if she had to decide what to wear as well!! "
()

I am all for school uniforms as everyone looks the same, looks smart etc. And no one can be singled out or picked on because on because of their clothes. I remember on non school uniform days in school you could always tell which kids parents at money and who's probably didn't because they'd be in expensive labels. But I definitely do think uniform should be a hell of a lot cheaper!

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Without uniforms in schools it would become a fashion show .Then kids who's parents didn't buy them the latest fashion they would feel uncomfortable .Uniforms make everyone the same .

Agreed - uniforms don't necessarily have to be expensive either if schools take a realistic approach - same colour trousers and polo shirts, job done.

It also saves having to have the 'you're not going out in *that*' argument with your teen Monday to Friday!"

I think only making it available at x shop should be banned as it's a bit like price fixing.

The school should bulk order iron on badges and then specify the shirt,trouser etc colour which can then be sourced so much cheaper from wherever the parents want to.

Solihull

To be fair I'd introduce a uniform policy for some adults when they go out in public.

In the last week I've seen adults wearing

Shiny track suit and white socks

Pj bottoms and crocs

Dressing gown and trainers

It also saves having to have the 'you're not going out in *that*' argument with your teen Monday to Friday!"

My kids are a nightmare at weekends with clothes matching so Mon to Friday id be pulling my hair out .would be more expensive as they would want more new clothes on a weekly basis ,well mine would .

By *lowercandyWoman  over a year ago

Lancashire

I'm for them.

Having been brought up through good and very difficult times I can say that a uniform meant I was equal to everyone else.

It was bad enough on the odd non uniform day but I painfully remember how cruel kids could be and let's be blunt it has only got worse.

Today's society is so materialistic/judgemental that if I was at school now under the same curcumstances (parents struggling to deliver the latest thing) I would most likely be bullied/depressed and or suicidal .

A uniform takes away the barriers thus allowing a child to focus on learning.

As for making them neutral.. let's not fool ourselves it gets them used to real life where many jobs still hold a dress code.

"I'm for them.

Having been brought up through good and very difficult times I can say that a uniform meant I was equal to everyone else.

It was bad enough on the odd non uniform day but I painfully remember how cruel kids could be and let's be blunt it has only got worse.

Today's society is so materialistic/judgemental that if I was at school now under the same curcumstances (parents struggling to deliver the latest thing) I would most likely be bullied/depressed and or suicidal .

A uniform takes away the barriers thus allowing a child to focus on learning.

As for making them neutral.. let's not fool ourselves it gets them used to real life where many jobs still hold a dress code.

"

I fully agree with school uniforms.

Lots of jobs require a uniform too.

By *carlettxWoman  over a year ago

Essex

"No I think school uniform is a great way to neutralise the natural instinct of kids to pressurise their parents into spending silly money on clothes that will be worn for school ....

"

Totally , a lot of pressure on kids today to have all the latest gear and if like me you don't spoil your kids through choice or lamb of funds then having a school uniform keeps everyone the same

Having said that my youngest started secondary and kitting her out cost me £250 ... as well as my middle one having had a massive growth spurt in the dinner hols and needing practically everything new again lol

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"No I think school uniform is a great way to neutralise the natural instinct of kids to pressurise their parents into spending silly money on clothes that will be worn for school ....

"

I totally agree and also saves time on deciding what to actually wear,there's no messing about. They have enough pressure's in school without being bullied for not wearing the uptodate fashion's.

"

What he said

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

"I think you've made valid points OP but I'd be in favour of uniforms especially in socially diverse schools. Uniforms mean every child is dressed equally and no kid can be made fun of for not dressing in the latest labels."

That's not really the reality though

My daughter is in year 10, and there's always the preterm debates over brands of shoes, bags and even trousers

This year Vans, Converse and Adidas are out, apparently

Make the uniforms more comfortable!

Mold

"Make the uniforms more comfortable! "

Polo shirts, no ties and sweatshirts?

That's pretty comfortable

Kids need any excuse to have a moan

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

"I think you've made valid points OP but I'd be in favour of uniforms especially in socially diverse schools. Uniforms mean every child is dressed equally and no kid can be made fun of for not dressing in the latest labels.

My daughter is in year 10, and there's always the preterm debates over brands of shoes, bags and even trousers

This year Vans, Converse and Adidas are out, apparently "

Hence why so many schools now are introducing policies which ban logos and branding on things like shoes.

This time of year you see it in all the local papers, little johnny got sent home for wearing shoes with a logo on which don't meet the new rules and mummy is pissed off because she spent 50 quid on them

Op I have said this all along. I refused to put my kids in uniform and it wound the school up something chronic.

I understand the reasons why they want them worn and I don't agree with it. My kids are individual and trussing them up in uniforms so they all look the same takes that individuality away and they become one of the masses.

It also as you say makes them uncomfortable. Inhibits how they learn and forces them to conform to something they may not agree with themselves.

People say it stops bullying, that's bullshit, bullying will occur no matter what, they'll always find a reason. If a bully is a bully they'll bully regardless of clothing.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I was in my last year at school, when the law/rules about compulsory school uniforms was passed.

It was terrible!

First few weeks was like a fashion show, all the girls parading in, in their fancy clothes.

The boys all seemed to wear football shirts.

It was always obvious before there was a huge class divide in my school but suddenly it actually for the first time became a serious issue, girls getting teased & boys arguing over teams - these people had previously all got along for 4yrs.

I hated my uniform, but after 2 weeks I went back to wearing it & actually wore it correctly, no rolling my skirt up, or socks down, top button done & tie tied properly.

School uniform is a lot more relaxed these days, luckily.

But I still think it's a good thing

Mold

"I think you've made valid points OP but I'd be in favour of uniforms especially in socially diverse schools. Uniforms mean every child is dressed equally and no kid can be made fun of for not dressing in the latest labels.

This year Vans, Converse and Adidas are out, apparently

Hence why so many schools now are introducing policies which ban logos and branding on things like shoes.

This time of year you see it in all the local papers, little johnny got sent home for wearing shoes with a logo on which don't meet the new rules and mummy is pissed off because she spent 50 quid on them"

But they're getting sneaky with almost no visible branding

No three stripes, swooshes or stars

It's creeping into primary schools too, but my lad is happy with his shoes from next

Bedworth

"Op I have said this all along. I refused to put my kids in uniform and it wound the school up something chronic.

I understand the reasons why they want them worn and I don't agree with it. My kids are individual and trussing them up in uniforms so they all look the same takes that individuality away and they become one of the masses.

It also as you say makes them uncomfortable. Inhibits how they learn and forces them to conform to something they may not agree with themselves.

People say it stops bullying, that's bullshit, bullying will occur no matter what, they'll always find a reason. If a bully is a bully they'll bully regardless of clothing. "

Fair play to anyone who sticks to their guns when they believe strongly about anything. How did your kids cope with being taught in isolation?

Was it a huge shock to the system for them when they left school and moved into the world of work where they had no choice but to conform to a certain standard of dress?

Individuality is a wonderful thing. However, I could just imagine seeing a high court judge, doctor, solicitor, accountant, airline pilot (or any number of professions) turning up to work every day in jeans and football shirt or mini skirt or whatever fashion is IN that day.

"No not in the pervy sense you naughty lot .

I was having a chat with my son last night who has just left school and gone to College. When I was asking him if he had settled in ok he made a point of it being so much easier to learn things than it was at school. When I asked him how, he said he felt more comfortable and relaxed in his own clothes rather than have to sit in a shirt , tie and blazer when he was at school. Do you think uniforms should be done away with to make kids more at ease these days, it would certainly be a lot bloody cheaper for the parents too "

No I don't, if every kid had to wear what they wanted and some children can't afford the latest trends there would be a lot of bullying. A school uniform stops some of this.

By *aydee65Man  over a year ago

Near Merthyr

"Op I have said this all along. I refused to put my kids in uniform and it wound the school up something chronic.

People say it stops bullying, that's bullshit, bullying will occur no matter what, they'll always find a reason. If a bully is a bully they'll bully regardless of clothing.

Fair play to anyone who sticks to their guns when they believe strongly about anything. How did your kids cope with being taught in isolation?

Was it a huge shock to the system for them when they left school and moved into the world of work where they had no choice but to conform to a certain standard of dress?

Individuality is a wonderful thing. However, I could just imagine seeing a high court judge, doctor, solicitor, accountant, airline pilot (or any number of professions) turning up to work every day in jeans and football shirt or mini skirt or whatever fashion is IN that day."

That's fine for those who can afford all the latest designer gear so that their kids can look cool and impress others with how materialistic they are, but spare a thought for those kids that would stick out like a sore thumb in their raggedy hand-me-downs. And yes, there is a good chance they'd get teased and bullied as children can be very, VERY cruel. Then you'd get those turning up in skirts half way up their arses and vest tops leaving nothing to the imagination. So where do you draw the line then..? School uniforms are a vital part of making kids realise that sometimes you have to stick to rules for the better of the whole not just the individual. And as a teacher I can say from experience that in schools where they adopt a strict uniform policy, behaviour is generally better. Uniforms also help identify unruly kids that go on shoplifting sprees on the way home from school. I have come across many parents of the 'my child is unique' ilk and they are usually a nightmare to deal with because no matter how badly behaved, rude, disruptive or insolent their child is.... they're never at fault. Just my opinion, of course...!

By *lowercandyWoman  over a year ago

Lancashire

"Make the uniforms more comfortable!

Polo shirts, no ties and sweatshirts?

That's pretty comfortable

Kids need any excuse to have a moan "

I think the current more casual uniforms must be far more comfortable than the shirt tie and skirts we had to wear!

As for socks and shoes

Again they were stipulated plain white or navy

Plain black shoes with no logos

Uniforms should be worn. It gives identity and a sense of belonging.

Plus it teaches children that in society there are rules to conform too. We have to conform to work rules as adults, lots of professions wear a uniform.

I don't see why it should be different for schools.

"Uniforms should be worn. It gives identity and a sense of belonging.

Plus it teaches children that in society there are rules to conform too. We have to conform to work rules as adults, lots of professions wear a uniform.

I don't see why it should be different for schools.

"

Individuality is a wonderful thing. However, I could just imagine seeing a high court judge, doctor, solicitor, accountant, airline pilot (or any number of professions) turning up to work every day in jeans and football shirt or mini skirt or whatever fashion is IN that day."

Who said anything about fashion?

I just said I didn't make them wear a uniform. And they are perfect thank you. They didn't get alienated, they respect others and they did great at school.

We don't have bags of money to spend and school uniforms were also more expensive than normal clothing, way more expensive.

Why should I force my kids to conform to a social class? Schools are becoming too pushy.

Are we not supposed to go to school to learn and be educated?

How does being in a uniform help that? If you can prove that wearing a uniform benefits children's learning skills then fair enough.

But there is also the point that schools aren't so much about Education for educations sake but more about institutionalising kids into conforming. And the uniform helps create that.

I dont want sheep for kids I want individual humans with their own minds.

I wonder how many of those calling to abolish school uniform are in jobs that require them to wear some form of PPE/uniform.....

Once again I astonish myself with the brutality of my logic

"

Good point, though getting rid of school uniform might save enough money that the parents can afford the silly money for clothes.

The owner of the shop my kids uniform had to come from was jailed a few years ago for spying on the changing rooms. I'm convinced if school uniform didn't exist there would be fewer paedophiles too as Fab Posts would suggest school uniform and paedophilia go hand in hand.

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

I think a uniform prevents bullying over branded clothing. However, I do think it should go back to how uniform was, allowing parents to buy uniform from whichever shop they choose, as long as the correct colours are chosen. Not all schools require children to wear a tie, some even have clip on ones now!

I don't think uniform encourages or discourages learning, that's down to the child and the subjects they're interested in, I think it is more to prevent bullying than anything else.

Good point, though getting rid of school uniform might save enough money that the parents can afford the silly money for clothes.

The owner of the shop my kids uniform had to come from was jailed a few years ago for spying on the changing rooms. I'm convinced if school uniform didn't exist there would be fewer paedophiles too as Fab Posts would suggest school uniform and paedophilia go hand in hand."

That argument school uniform are responsible for an increase in paedophile activity is totally misguided as government statistic clearly prove...

Propaganda of those with twisted minds .....

I for one believe in a dress code rather than a school uniform.

A dress code could eliminate many of the concerns over bullying, spending money on the latest fashion, singling outbthenless fortunate etc etc, whilst still having the ethos of a school unity and supporting students and young people in understanding there are rules and expectations.

As kids grow they need to feel the ability to express their individuality and develop a sense of self and identity, enforcing a standardised uniform impacts on that vital part of development and growth.

In my opinion, students would feel more comfortable and relaxed in clothes they have chosen, that still adhere to a dress code, which I feel would also promote a more positive learning environment.

Enforcing uniforms is short sighted, old fashioned and I feel is more about the needs of the system than the needs of the young people and what is best for them.

The owner of the shop my kids uniform had to come from was jailed a few years ago for spying on the changing rooms. I'm convinced if school uniform didn't exist there would be fewer paedophiles too as Fab Posts would suggest school uniform and paedophilia go hand in hand."

???? Who'da thunk it! It's the uniforms the pedos are interested in, not the children wearing them. I thought we no longer associated sex crimes with the type of clothing people wear?

Uniforms don't have to be shirt, tie and blazer. Some have polo type tops with cardigan or jumpers. I don't think I would have felt comfortable in a shirt and tie, when I was at school. We could wear any white blouse with any grey skirt and I don't think boys had to wear a tie.

"

i agree with what ur saying it stops alot of bullying to if a kid doesnt have the in trainers etc

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

If you stop enforcing a uniform on school age children and teens they enforce their own on themselves. They also divide off in to groups even more than they already do, identified by the uniform that group favours. It follows that rivalries occur both between and within those groups and discipline is even more difficult to maintain than it already is.

Uniform is a leveller although there will always be differences. It allows the school children to have a common identity inside and outside school. It's not ideal in terms of allowing children to express individuality but with things as they are I can't see another way of successfully educating millions of people without standardising aspects of it.

The owner of the shop my kids uniform had to come from was jailed a few years ago for spying on the changing rooms. I'm convinced if school uniform didn't exist there would be fewer paedophiles too as Fab Posts would suggest school uniform and paedophilia go hand in hand.

???? Who'da thunk it! It's the uniforms the pedos are interested in, not the children wearing them. I thought we no longer associated sex crimes with the type of clothing people wear? "

If there was any statistical evidence to support school uniform increased paedophile activity school uniforms would be banned

"I think a uniform prevents bullying over branded clothing. However, I do think it should go back to how uniform was, allowing parents to buy uniform from whichever shop they choose, as long as the correct colours are chosen. Not all schools require children to wear a tie, some even have clip on ones now!

I don't think uniform encourages or discourages learning, that's down to the child and the subjects they're interested in, I think it is more to prevent bullying than anything else."

Bedworth

"

As kids grow they need to feel the ability to express their individuality and develop a sense of self and identity, enforcing a standardised uniform impacts on that vital part of development and growth."

I disagree.

My niece is 16 and a straight a student who has just started studying 5 A levels and has ambitions to go to Cambridge university. She went to an inner city school which has a very strict uniform and her parents ensured that she adhered to that policy. After completing her final gcse exam she made the decision to show her flair and creativity by dying her hair turquoise. Her mum helped her do so.

She is an avid member of a drama group and during her gcse year she wrote, directed and starred in a stage production at a local theatre.

I would love to know how wearing a uniform has impacted on her development and growth

"

The only flaw in that argument is that many schools specify their uniform is branded with their logo. This puts the price sky high, and the govt removed grants for hard up parents. .

Back when i was at school this was just a blazer and tie, which they subsequently removed. Now the logos are on practically everything. And items not with a logo, such as skirts, have to be a specific style. So no more shopping at supermarkets! It's disgusting.

"I don't like the concept of school uniforms. Taking individuality away from kids at such a young and formative age. It almost as if authorities are teaching them to become the neutral, everyone will look the same, drones that they want us to become in adulthood."

I totally agree with this with regards to primary schools.

"

As kids grow they need to feel the ability to express their individuality and develop a sense of self and identity, enforcing a standardised uniform impacts on that vital part of development and growth.

I disagree.

My niece is 16 and a straight a student who has just started studying 5 A levels and has ambitions to go to Cambridge university. She went to an inner city school which has a very strict uniform and her parents ensured that she adhered to that policy. After completing her final gcse exam she made the decision to show her flair and creativity by dying her hair turquoise. Her mum helped her do so.

She is an avid member of a drama group and during her gcse year she wrote, directed and starred in a stage production at a local theatre.

I would love to know how wearing a uniform has impacted on her development and growth"

Many schools won't allow diversity from natural hair colours, and styles.

Solihull

The only flaw in that argument is that many schools specify their uniform is branded with their logo. This puts the price sky high, and the govt removed grants for hard up parents. .

Back when i was at school this was just a blazer and tie, which they subsequently removed. Now the logos are on practically everything. And items not with a logo, such as skirts, have to be a specific style. So no more shopping at supermarkets! It's disgusting."

The school or a load of parents together could easily provide the logo to an embroidery company and as long as they all grouped together they could buy the clothing cheaper and get them embroidered or bulk buy sewn badges.

Easily done if people fight the school policy as a group

I'm pretty sure there is a kick back % wise from the shop they recommend

Totally agree with this statement 100%

But school uniforms can be ridiculously expensive also.

i agree with what ur saying it stops alot of bullying to if a kid doesnt have the in trainers etc"

They still have to have a pair for PE.

I worked in a Secondary school and the poor kids stood out from the well off, even in uniform.

i agree with what ur saying it stops alot of bullying to if a kid doesnt have the in trainers etc

They still have to have a pair for PE. "

What a lot of Plimsolls

"

I disagree.

I would love to know how wearing a uniform has impacted on her development and growth"

That proves nothing than she succeeded, I'd be asking myself if there had been a difference without the uniform being enforced?

I'd also hasten to say, what I mentioned wasn't the impact on educational ability, it's the impact on other areas of development I was referring to.

Your information about dying her hair turquoise after her final exam, I'd also hasten to ask why she was prevented to do that before? Was this action overstated because her natural creativity and flair in regards to her own identity was stifled?

My concern is, that the enforcement of uniform on children within the educational setting is in part part of the whole bureaucracy that focuses on the needs of the institution rather than the needs of the young people, and by doing so, it actually damages the education and growth of children rather than support it, and by doing so, it appears old fashioned and doesn't relate to, or understand the young people of the times and therefore impacts upon their respect of it.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I was having a chat with my son last night who has just left school and gone to College. When I was asking him if he had settled in ok he made a point of it being so much easier to learn things than it was at school. When I asked him how, he said he felt more comfortable and relaxed in his own clothes rather than have to sit in a shirt , tie and blazer when he was at school. Do you think uniforms should be done away with to make kids more at ease these days, it would certainly be a lot bloody cheaper for the parents too "

I go with school uniform, as all the kids are dressed the same. Growing up my parents didn't have much spare cash, so I didn't wear the latest fashion. Seeing how some kids used to go on at me outside of school, for not wearing the latest brand clothing made me glad I didn't get that in school.

I think the school uniform provides a common interest and pride in the school.

Uniforms also stop the "keeping up with the Jones" at school. Best trainers competition etc... It could work out dearer for parents too... that has been proven to be the case in the past and schools with no uniform "mufty dress" can have a higher bullying with regards to the poorer family kids.

With regards to studying wearing the uniform can focus students. Good habits for homework and study / revision schedule are essential.

"I don't like the concept of school uniforms. Taking individuality away from kids at such a young and formative age. It almost as if authorities are teaching them to become the neutral, everyone will look the same, drones that they want us to become in adulthood."

They can be individual when they aren't at school, they aren't there for many hours in the day now (or it seems like it)

Bedworth

"

I disagree.

I would love to know how wearing a uniform has impacted on her development and growth

That proves nothing than she succeeded, I'd be asking myself if there had been a difference without the uniform being enforced?

I'd also hasten to say, what I mentioned wasn't the impact on educational ability, it's the impact on other areas of development I was referring to.

Your information about dying her hair turquoise after her final exam, I'd also hasten to ask why she was prevented to do that before? Was this action overstated because her natural creativity and flair in regards to her own identity was stifled?

My concern is, that the enforcement of uniform on children within the educational setting is in part part of the whole bureaucracy that focuses on the needs of the institution rather than the needs of the young people, and by doing so, it actually damages the education and growth of children rather than support it, and by doing so, it appears old fashioned and doesn't relate to, or understand the young people of the times and therefore impacts upon their respect of it."

She was not prevented from doing so by her parents, she chose to follow the rules set by her school. The point I am making is that following the rules has in no way stifled her creativity. She just chose to wait until the appropriate time came in which to display that flair.

If she were working in an environment with a dress code or uniform then it would be no different than having to wear a uniform at school. Unfortunately, in life there are times where we have no choice than to conform

"

I disagree.

My concern is, that the enforcement of uniform on children within the educational setting is in part part of the whole bureaucracy that focuses on the needs of the institution rather than the needs of the young people, and by doing so, it actually damages the education and growth of children rather than support it, and by doing so, it appears old fashioned and doesn't relate to, or understand the young people of the times and therefore impacts upon their respect of it.

She was not prevented from doing so by her parents, she chose to follow the rules set by her school. The point I am making is that following the rules has in no way stifled her creativity. She just chose to wait until the appropriate time came in which to display that flair.

If she were working in an environment with a dress code or uniform then it would be no different than having to wear a uniform at school. Unfortunately, in life there are times where we have no choice than to conform"

It would be entirely different, as she would be an adult and at an entirely different developmental stage than as a child, to suggest there is no difference would indicate that there is no need for different laws, treatments, rights and rules between the two?

Society has at least progressed as far as to recognise there is differences, it's a pity that the bureaucratic institution that is our education system still has its head buried in the sand in relation to our level of understanding of human development and growth.

She was lucky to have parents that afforded her the ability to be creative and express her individuality, however there's still a huge difference between that and within the realms of the educational setting. Did every child at that school perform equally as well to provide a broader sample of evidence?

I'm totally for school uniforms, my eldest children have fairly strict uniforms but they look smart and are always praised for this.

Conversely, the other local secondary school has a much more lax approach to school uniform and they have far more issues with discipline so I do believe there is a link in dressing smartly and acting smartly.

Ginger

"I'm totally for school uniforms, my eldest children have fairly strict uniforms but they look smart and are always praised for this.

Conversely, the other local secondary school has a much more lax approach to school uniform and they have far more issues with discipline so I do believe there is a link in dressing smartly and acting smartly.

Ginger"

I'd suggest the link is that they are strict and therefore enforce the rules more robustly, I doubt the uniform itself has anything to do with it.

I do completely agree that young people react and behave to the environment they are in, the better the environment, the better the behaviour, but I stand by my opinion that a dress code would achieve that far mor effectively and holistically than an enforced uniform.

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I sometimes think having to wear a uniform makes kids more creative and likely to dress as an individual when they get to choose what to wear. And come up with subtle ways to subvert the uniform code by stretching rather than breaking the rules. I remember thinking along those lines on a French exchange when I was in sixth form. The British kids had uniforms during the day but when they weren't in school everyone wore what they liked; it was a total mix of fashion, hairstyles and the like with a hint of musical genre tribes thrown in. The French kids didn't have uniforms but all wore similar jeans, jumpers and low top trainers combos. Their freedom to choose led to sameness.

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

Another thing that pisses me off with logoed uniform, is when you label everything up with the child's name and class and then something disappears, but not returned. Yes this happened, PE clothing has to be have the logo on, the top has gone missing, it costs £15 to buy, no I am not going to buy another one I will just buy one from a supermarket because no doubt it will happen again! The logo doesn't improve their ability to do PE and isn't worth it for 1hr 40 a week.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

You think uniforms end in school.

If your little flower is uncomfortable in his uniform I suggest he doesn't consider a job in the military, aviation, medicine, law, retail, hospitality, science, finance etc as they all have uniforms.

I think children wearing a uniform to school is a good thing.

A lot of adults have to wear a uniform for work. It sets you up ready for your future life, which is basically what school is there for.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm kind of OK with uniforms if all kids have the same choices of affordable items. There's way too much pressure on parents to buy the latest expensive stuff for kids, so keeping that away from school life is refreshing.

» Add a new message to this topic