FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Letting go

Letting go

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Our 11 year old starts senior school in September and he has to get the bus on his own, we've never let him out of our sight and always made sure he was safe, today he told us he wanted to do a dummy run on the bus to make sure he knows where to get off etc, I'm sat here shaking with nerves hoping he's going to be alright, he's very confident for his age and I'm sure he will be fine but this is the first time he's gone out on his own like this, i guess I have to get use to it but its so hard.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

He'll be fine, he will probably come home with a set of Alloys for you to sell.

Seriously it is scarey the first time they go out on their own in to the big wide world but it has to be done sometime.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yep xx

It never changes Mally.

Generation in Generation out .... x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i took my daughter for the first week and up til july took her on her first of 3 buses. she wants to go on her own from sept and its harder when you have a daughter to let go. my son went on his own from first day didnt want mum taking him.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

Its hard giving them that 1st step in independence, but by judging by the way he has asked to do a dummy run sounds as if he has a good head on his shoulders. xx

I understand this perfectly and it doesn't change really even as they move into adulthood.

My 16yr old starts college in September and has to travel on the bus. I'm nervous of him on the bus on his own and then being in college with older teens, teens who will be drinking in the pub near to campus, what if they lure my boy there and he'll develop the urge to drink and party - I know this can happen as I changed from studious girl to party girl, but it was different for me, I knew it all.

I was also scared when my elder son drove in his car for the first time alone, the process of letting go is a hard one.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Mally; you'll still be fretting about your kids even when they're 20/25/30! Just have to let them get on with it. When he goes off and gets that bus and comes back home safe and sound then you'll be proud of his new found independence and the fact that you can trust him. Just wait till he's 18 and comes in at 4.30am!

By *isha KadishaCouple  over a year ago

Welsh/Shropshire border

"I wouldn't worry about it too much Mally; you'll still be fretting about your kids even when they're 20/25/30! Just have to let them get on with it. When he goes off and gets that bus and comes back home safe and sound then you'll be proud of his new found independence and the fact that you can trust him. Just wait till he's 18 and comes in at 4.30am! "
Hear, hear!! Our 18 year old does just that! 4.30 is an early night in his book! Let your kids find their feet, it's the right thing to do; independence is a wonderful thing even though you will be panicking, he will love it!! xx

By *uro anchorMan  over a year ago

Coventry

just seen him go by my house in bedworth... think he took the wrong bus.. ill just go chase the bus and send him back.. should b back in a couple of hours lol..

When ours was 17 and going out in Leeds we made sure he knew the train times back home...we just didn't know he wasn't planning to get the last train home; but the first one back in the morning!

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Because of my circumstance my daughter was a latchkey kid from the age of 8. She is now a lovely independant young woman of 17 who is at her second festival this weekend and I hope having a blast.

You think buses are a wrench? Just wait until the year before they go to uni. I am not looking foward to the day she leaves home at all!

He will be fine!

We had the same last year with our son!

Thing is that we are unaware of how much they can do on their own! Or we just don't want them to grow up!

not long now and they'll move out! hehe

"Because of my circumstance my daughter was a latchkey kid from the age of 8. She is now a lovely independant young woman of 17 who is at her second festival this weekend and I hope having a blast.

You think buses are a wrench? Just wait until the year before they go to uni. I am not looking foward to the day she leaves home at all! "

She could be in a tent with our son as we speak!

"Because of my circumstance my daughter was a latchkey kid from the age of 8. She is now a lovely independant young woman of 17 who is at her second festival this weekend and I hope having a blast.

You think buses are a wrench? Just wait until the year before they go to uni. I am not looking foward to the day she leaves home at all!

She could be in a tent with our son as we speak! "

Haha, knowing my daughter it wouldn't surprise me at all!

But there's 6 hormonal young lads in there x

She could be in a tent with our son as we speak!

Haha, knowing my daughter it wouldn't surprise me at all! "

he came back safe and sound, indeed a lot of worry over nothing, he's just gone out again to the retail park to buy his baby sisters Birthday present, the mrs has gone with him on this one

You could be our sons mother-in-law soon then...as it's tradition that the brides family pays; we quite fancy a beach in the Bahamas

"You could be our sons mother-in-law soon then...as it's tradition that the brides family pays; we quite fancy a beach in the Bahamas "

I'll start saving now

"he came back safe and sound, indeed a lot of worry over nothing, he's just gone out again to the retail park to buy his baby sisters Birthday present, the mrs has gone with him on this one "

There you go Mally. That's it now, you've lost him forever. Glad he's back safe. Well done your son. You've just got to give them that trust and expect they can earn it. If they do then it becomes a whole lot easier. x

"You could be our sons mother-in-law soon then...as it's tradition that the brides family pays; we quite fancy a beach in the Bahamas "

Its my tradition that the little feckers pay for their own parties. I just funded her lifestyle for 17 years!

"You could be our sons mother-in-law soon then...as it's tradition that the brides family pays; we quite fancy a beach in the Bahamas

Its my tradition that the little feckers pay for their own parties. I just funded her lifestyle for 17 years! "

oh dear, we paid for most of our wedding, the father in law paid for the reception but the cars photographer dresses cakes honeymoon suits and everything else i cant think of, we paid for

"You could be our sons mother-in-law soon then...as it's tradition that the brides family pays; we quite fancy a beach in the Bahamas

Its my tradition that the little feckers pay for their own parties. I just funded her lifestyle for 17 years! "

I'm just a little worried that Mally got the message wrong and thinks he can be our sons mother-in-law...still, if he's saving for the wedding in the Bahamas

Its my tradition that the little feckers pay for their own parties. I just funded her lifestyle for 17 years!

I'm just a little worried that Mally got the message wrong and thinks he can be our sons mother-in-law...still, if he's saving for the wedding in the Bahamas "

Yes, he can pay! Thats made it lots easier.

I'm just a little worried that Mally got the message wrong and thinks he can be our sons mother-in-law...still, if he's saving for the wedding in the Bahamas "

haha I did lol, sorry still waking up here

Its hard at times letting go of the ones you love .. I know as have four .... I let go and thay keep coming back .. feel weird when just us thay are away or doing there own thing but we have to let go as pernts as we know thay have to learn about life themselfs we cant allways be there 24/7. So we have to trust we did a good job when thay was small . He will be fine ... we know how you feel as been there too x

Sorry Mally, it doesn't get easier. When my "baby" was at uni in Derby I used to panic when I kissed her good bye at Paddington worrying about her traveling in her own and she's 19!

I was overjoyed when my 28 year old changed jobs. Her pitch was Africa and non-EU countries. I felt the same panic leaving her at the bus stop at 11 as I did when she phoned me from the airport to say bye.

I couldn't follow the plane in my car as I followed the bus!

A parent never truly let's go.

Our youngest is about to start his last year at uni and has just met a gorgeous Australian girl who is in the last year of her visa. It runs out next August. He's already told us that he intends to finish his degree and to go back to Australia with her.

It's a year away, and a lot can happen in that time, especially when you're young, but I don't know how I will handle it seeing our baby moving to the other side of the world

I have that to come next year

Was

Lethal with my daughter at the park etc

And didn't realise how catalogs I was with her until one day she turned around and said

"for goodness sakes daddy I am eight you know" that's when I thought it may be time to let her get on with it a bit more

She is very old headed and independent but I know what ya mean

But also ya know he will be fine and so will you (eventually lol) xx

Contact other families with kids going by the same route. My mam did this for me when I started senior school.

My kids were brought up abroad in a country where this still occurs naturally.

I used to walk my son to school when he started senior school...

The day came when he said "mom, please dont walk me anymore, im old enough now"

And off they grow.

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

i used to have to walk home 2 miles from junior school

mind you it was 1967 no probs except the willie watcher in the bogs on the way home never went in there again after i saw his cock waving at me

Well today's the day, he finally starts senior school, I'm going to be on edge until I see him when i get home from work...

"Well today's the day, he finally starts senior school, I'm going to be on edge until I see him when i get home from work..."

He will be fine and you will be proud xx

Just heard the bus he is on is running late

I never had empy nest syndrome and one by one they all found their feet, left home and all live very independent lives. I'd go as far as to say its them who cling onto the apron strings.

What I can't understand is why, when they stay over at mine for the night if they're having an evening with old friends or whatever, I lie awake worrying until they get home. Makes no sense

Well he had a great first day and said he can't wait to go back tomorrow, big sigh of relief all round.

» Add a new message to this topic