FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bayliffs

Bayliffs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I had a fine for driving in a bus lane,i had to get home in a hurry,and yes i did use the bus lane.I recieved a letter from the council saying i owed them money for the fine,to be honest i forgot about it,and yes i should have paid it.Well it went to the bayliffs and the amount came to 173.93.so i asked for a weekly arrangement to be cleared in a month.I paid each week with my debit card.Today my phone rang,and this rude guy said,you owe 7.93,i said i am not at home,so will pay it asap,he then said a charge of 135.00 would now be added on,so my bill was now 142.93.I asked him if he was serious,he then said if i dont pay it straight away,the law enforcements would call and another 295.00 would be added to my bill.I asked him if he was joking.For the sake of me getting home and having my card at hand,my bill goes into hundreds,i dont know what to do,he wanted payment there and then,and wouldnt listen to reason,just argued with me.HELP.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Go to yer local cop shop and explain to them about your predicament. There's no way I would pay that much for a minor traffic misdemeanor.

By *aelawMan  over a year ago

Paisley

"Go to yer local cop shop and explain to them about your predicament. There's no way I would pay that much for a minor traffic misdemeanor. "

^^This that is rather mental

Mental yes,and very true.i am in shock,didnt think or know they can do this.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Mental yes,and very true.i am in shock,didnt think or know they can do this."

I think they are just trying their luck, either way I would sort it asap and don't let it get out of hand

Seems extortionate for 7.93.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Seems extortionate for 7.93."

Yep, i'd look into it.

By *dluvvaMan  over a year ago

lancaster

They're just tryin it on miss P

I rang them back and they are not having any of it.So ringing the parking services today.Then citizens advice.

Citizens advice will be your best bet x

Offer to pay the £7.93 if they say you now owe them more because you didnt have card payment available over the phone then ask them to put that in writing to you but explain that you will let them take the matter to court once you have the letter. Also write to them, via recored delivery, and explain in detail what has happened and your offer to pay the £7.93 they will soon shut up and you will only be paying the £7.93 and no more. This only works when its in writing, what cant speak can't lie. Telephone calls are no good and people get bullied. It will work out, these companies know how the court system works and no judge is going yo uphold a case because someone didn't have a debit card in there pocket while on the phone.

"Offer to pay the £7.93 if they say you now owe them more because you didnt have card payment available over the phone then ask them to put that in writing to you but explain that you will let them take the matter to court once you have the letter. Also write to them, via recored delivery, and explain in detail what has happened and your offer to pay the £7.93 they will soon shut up and you will only be paying the £7.93 and no more. This only works when its in writing, what cant speak can't lie. Telephone calls are no good and people get bullied. It will work out, these companies know how the court system works and no judge is going yo uphold a case because someone didn't have a debit card in there pocket while on the phone."
..Thankyou very.much.for your advice x

I got a bus line fine. I paid £30 - never heard from anyone again.

I couldnt even have a decent conversation with anyone from the bayliff company,they just didnt want to know,i ,asked the guy if i owed any personal dept to him as he was so rude and ignorant,and he went on and on and wouldnt let me speak nor answer anyone of my questions .

"I got a bus line fine. I paid £30 - never heard from anyone again. "
..I did say it was my fault,i completly forgot about the first fine x

Disgraceful there trying it on hun I hope that you get it sorted xx

It's scare mon geeing tactics and extortion racket tactics... Bayliffs make a heck of a lot of money out of citizens

They're institutionalised gangstas.

Legally you don't have to let them into your home.

You could stop paying, insist on them stating their case in writing, get back in touch with the council and demand that they re take ownership of your fine as they're the original source of the fine.

The CAB will confirm you can do this... Also Martin's Money Saving Tips is a great site to get help from, they may even intervene on your behalf if you state your case.

Bailiffs work by bullying, dominating and out right bare face lying.

Hope you get sorted soon, don't let them rock your mental wellbeing theirca buncha twunts

Sorry bout the spell check mistakes!, s'early and I forgot to re-read x

"Offer to pay the £7.93 if they say you now owe them more because you didnt have card payment available over the phone then ask them to put that in writing to you but explain that you will let them take the matter to court once you have the letter. Also write to them, via recored delivery, and explain in detail what has happened and your offer to pay the £7.93 they will soon shut up and you will only be paying the £7.93 and no more. This only works when its in writing, what cant speak can't lie. Telephone calls are no good and people get bullied. It will work out, these companies know how the court system works and no judge is going yo uphold a case because someone didn't have a debit card in there pocket while on the phone...Thankyou very.much.for your advice x"

Welcome x

"Offer to pay the £7.93 if they say you now owe them more because you didnt have card payment available over the phone then ask them to put that in writing to you but explain that you will let them take the matter to court once you have the letter. Also write to them, via recored delivery, and explain in detail what has happened and your offer to pay the £7.93 they will soon shut up and you will only be paying the £7.93 and no more. This only works when its in writing, what cant speak can't lie. Telephone calls are no good and people get bullied. It will work out, these companies know how the court system works and no judge is going yo uphold a case because someone didn't have a debit card in there pocket while on the phone...Thankyou very.much.for your advice x

Welcome x"

In fact it would be a good idea to send a chq for £7.93 with the letter. That way you have already offered payment.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

If it's a private owned Bayliff company phone them one more time and ask for all correspondence to be put in writing and sent to you.

Only reply in writing to them and keep a copy.

I don't know the rules in England however private Bayliff services have no power to do anything.

I might be wrong but unless the council go to court and get a warrant for the retrieval of the £7 you owe then I wouldn't worry about it.

Google the Baliff company name also it's amazing what you might find out.

Bullying bastards! I hate these people.

"Disgraceful there trying it on hun I hope that you get it sorted xx"
..Thanks me bestie xx

"If it's a private owned Bayliff company phone them one more time and ask for all correspondence to be put in writing and sent to you.

I don't know the rules in England however private Bayliff services have no power to do anything.

I might be wrong but unless the council go to court and get a warrant for the retrieval of the £7 you owe then I wouldn't worry about it.

Google the Baliff company name also it's amazing what you might find out. "

...They work on behalf of our council.x

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

Phone them up and say you will pay the £7 odd and no more. Bloody chancers

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

"Disgraceful there trying it on hun I hope that you get it sorted xx"

Hello

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

"Citizens advice will be your best bet x"

Yes. What they are demanding is unreasonable in the circumstances.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

"If it's a private owned Bayliff company phone them one more time and ask for all correspondence to be put in writing and sent to you.

Google the Baliff company name also it's amazing what you might find out. ...They work on behalf of our council.x"

Yep private company. Wouldn't worry about it until you get an official letter from the courts.

First question you need answered is why do you owe a further £7.93? Did you only pay £166 of the original debt, or is this an extra charge?

If you are had a payment plan the weekly payments should have been in writing and should have covered the whole debt, including the extortionate fees they charge.

Do go to CAB, at least 1 bus lane in Bristol was illegal as the council only had temporary planning permission for it and it over ran, they were taken to court and lost so had to refund all fines, but of course only if people applied for the refund.

The bailiffs do not work for the council, they buy the debt from them so that they can add the charges. All court systems will give the bailiffs leeway to make extortionate 'admin charges' but only when there is a clear paper trail, so as advised above demand it all in writing, respond only in writing, never talk to them on the phone.

Please try and read up on dealing with bailiffs op, the laws they operate within are insufficient to maintain control of the unscrupulous people that appear to be drawn into the profession.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I hope you get it sorted soon that sound's awful

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

I cant add any more than other posters advice wise,but hope you get it sorted,must be a worry x

Miss

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

It's Bailiff, not Bayliff!

Go to Citizens Advice. They should helo you with a letter to the Bailiffs. I suspect that will be the end of the matter and that the Bailiffs know that this is a "try on".

If not then Citizens Advice should help you with an application to the County Court.

I cannot see any Judge accepting that you have to pay a penalty charge of £135 for a missed £8 final instalment of a debt payment.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I know how you feel.

Last Dec I got a parking ticket, which I knew nothing about, my only thought is someone walking past my van removed it as a joke.

I moved house last year, informed dvla, somehow they got my license ok, but my van got registered to the block of flats next door, practicaly identical address, me ***** Road, next door ***** Road Flats.

So I never received any of the mail.

Last month I got an email from a bailiff.

Called them, to be told it was now £700!

It has been through court & everything.

I was given 24hrs to pay, or they had a warrant to remove goods, failing that an application for my committal!

All for an original £25 fine!

Took legal advise immediately, but had to pay.

I'm now pursuing the dvla to reclaim the money

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple  over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

"It's Bailiff, not Bayliff!

Go to Citizens Advice. They should helo you with a letter to the Bailiffs. I suspect that will be the end of the matter and that the Bailiffs know that this is a "try on".

If not then Citizens Advice should help you with an application to the County Court.

I cannot see any Judge accepting that you have to pay a penalty charge of £135 for a missed £8 final instalment of a debt payment."

Isn't it bayleaf

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I know how you feel.

Last Dec I got a parking ticket, which I knew nothing about, my only thought is someone walking past my van removed it as a joke.

I moved house last year, informed dvla, somehow they got my license ok, but my van got registered to the block of flats next door, practicaly identical address, me ***** Road, next door ***** Road Flats.

So I never received any of the mail.

Last month I got an email from a bailiff.

Called them, to be told it was now £700!

It has been through court & everything.

I was given 24hrs to pay, or they had a warrant to remove goods, failing that an application for my committal!

All for an original £25 fine!

Took legal advise immediately, but had to pay.

I'm now pursuing the dvla to reclaim the money

"

Now that is a nightmare!

pay the 7.93 and tell them to whistle for the rest - ive watched the tv progs and they are quite reasonable people doing a job mostly - one thing to be big and mighty on the end of a phone line -

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Pay the £7.93. I'm sure he told you when the deadline for payment was.

Pay it by the due date and the admin fees wont be added.

If the due date is past then you don't have a leg to stand on.

By *axandbooCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Ive inboxed you some advice on things

He said he wanted the payment strait away when i was on the phone,told him i wasnt home and didnt.have card on me,thats when he turned and said about extra money,he also said the bayliffs could take my.car,if i didnt pay the extra money,told him.what i would do,and he replied,do what you like .

"Ive inboxed you some advice on things "
...Thankyou very much x

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Is this actually a "Debt Collection" agency chasing this?

They have to work within set legal guidelines, and rely on you not knowing the law.

Take it up immediately with your local CAB. Put everything in writing and keep a copy. A good tactic is to threaten to go to the local newspaper and get them involved; no one likes bad publicity.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"He said he wanted the payment strait away when i was on the phone,told him i wasnt home and didnt.have card on me,thats when he turned and said about extra money,he also said the bayliffs could take my.car,if i didnt pay the extra money,told him.what i would do,and he replied,do what you like ."

He sound's a fucking idiot!

» Add a new message to this topic