FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Feeling so let down by my gp

Feeling so let down by my gp

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have battled for months to get my elderly mother replacement meal drinks because she doesn't barely eat. She is 76, disabled, has a lot of health problems and has terminal cancer. She stopped eating a while ago and I did everything the go told me to to try and get high calorie food into her but she wasn't having none of it. I had to battle for months with the go to get these supplement shakes fir her as she had lost a vast amount of weight. I eventually got them and all has been fine. Today my gp rang me to inform me that he is no longer allowing her to have them on prescription. And if I can't get her to eat then she will have to buy these complain shakes. When I questioned why he had stopped them he said that he is making cut backs and helping to save the NHS money, and feels that they are not necessary to my mothers welbeing. Now my mother has lost so much weight, if she is 7stine piss wet through that is it.her daily food consumption is two mouthfuls of weetabix and three spoons of chicken soup a day and that's if we are lucky. Personally I think she needs them but he says not. I am now thinking do I get in touch with a dietician and see what they say.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do it. She needs them. My dad had them when he was having chemo and couldnt eat. Your doctor is being unreasonable. You can ask her consultant to presribe them for her.

Sorry to hear this, seems very negligent of your go to me.

Have you looked into organic bone broth at all, as it's very healing, very easy to drink and you can buy it online from various companies. I got mine from Coombe farm who have won several awards re the quality of thei soil, the quality of their animal welfare care, and I can confirm it all tastes amazingly good.

I'm on my second week of homemade bone broth I made over 36hrs from their organic bones I bought and it's been a revelation tbh... Definitely going to feature in my new lifestyle change for the foreseeable future!... Going to make it every month now.

I hope your mom gets sorted asap! Xx

By *Devil77Man  over a year ago

West Midlands

Not being a doctor, my opinion is just that,an opinion, but you do what you think is best for your mother.

I'm sure there's some dietitian who can help somewhere.

To be honest,the NHS probably won't help as they have no money.

If you can do anything for your mother you do it,I would in a similar situation.

I hope you get it sorted soon and she's on the mend x

as i see it your GP is a stuped little man who things he knows it all, do all you can to help her and take your GP for every coin he has.

By *inxy777Woman  over a year ago

essex

Def get community dietician referral done asap, u may be doing this already but try full milk, rice puddings, foods which we try to avoid.

I'd definitely see if you can see another doctor. That's crazy that sounds like your mother definitely needs them. My Dad use to have them when he had cancer of gullet so struggled to eat. They really helped him. Hopefully you can get it sorted

By *eliz NelsonMan  over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

They are expensive, hence GP's do not like prescribing them!

Ridiculous that the cost of 'supplement drinks' outweighs subsequent stress on family members

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Just a thought:

Aren't there any generic high-calorie drinks that are cheaper than a prescription thus saving youy money anyway.

You could make your own, maybe blend things like bananas with full fat milk or cream or something?

im a careworker, and ive seen this happen a lot,their budgets are shrinking by the day and they are forced to make some very unwelcome decisions. Does she have a regular District nurse?,if she doesn't you can ask for one to visit, they can usually arrange a dieticians visit too...and as above, high calorie, easy to eat stuff can help, like very good quality ice cream, creamy soup with cream added..

"Just a thought:

Aren't there any generic high-calorie drinks that are cheaper than a prescription thus saving youy money anyway.

You could make your own, maybe blend things like bananas with full fat milk or cream or something?"

if her mother is elderly she wont be paying for the prescription. these drinks are a real money spinner, if bought without a prescription the cost is pretty high.

Hereford

To add - you can get "instant oats" which is basically oat flour from fitness suppliment websites. That stuff is calorie-tastic, if you blended it with whole milk, a banana and/or chocolate powder..... maybe peanut butter....

Hereford

"Just a thought:

You could make your own, maybe blend things like bananas with full fat milk or cream or something?

if her mother is elderly she wont be paying for the prescription. these drinks are a real money spinner, if bought without a prescription the cost is pretty high."

I wonder why they cost so much? I'm certain you can make them at home for peanuts (see my other posts).

Contact your NHS trusts PALS (patient advice and liaison service) for advice they will do what they can to help you.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I am a PT & qualified nutrionist, and I take a lot of GP referrels.

Some dealing with obesity, diabetes, post gastric surgery.

I recommend a variety of supplements, meal replacement & protein based shakes to a lot of my clients.

The GPs have never refused to support or prescribe these products.

"Just a thought:

if her mother is elderly she wont be paying for the prescription. these drinks are a real money spinner, if bought without a prescription the cost is pretty high.

I wonder why they cost so much? I'm certain you can make them at home for peanuts (see my other posts). "

they cost a lot because the companies know they are in demand and theres not much competition..some people may be lucky enough to have relatives who can make them , but an awful lot of people don't, and wouldn't be able to make substitutes themselves.

"Just a thought:

if her mother is elderly she wont be paying for the prescription. these drinks are a real money spinner, if bought without a prescription the cost is pretty high."

Thanku

My mother is 76

She doesn't pay prescription fees

She gets a pension and dla

She needs 2/3 of these drinks a day at nearly £4.50 is works out to a hearty amount

On top of that she has to pay for a carers to come and bed bath her and get her out of bed and put her to bed every morning and evening because I cannot do this on my own

We have tried the blending fruits and foods etc and they made her sick

The supplement drinks was a winner for us

If she is under the care of an oncology department then she should have access to an oncology dietician who will organise supplementary drinks etc ..

It's ok making our own high calorie drinks but because she doesn't get the vitamins, etc that your body needs these drinks provide her with all the supplements her body needs

I am going to contact her oncologist tomorrow and tell them what the go has done

Apparently my mother is one of many who's prescriptions he has suddenly stopped to save money

I'm having the same problem with my dad. He's struggling to eat and we have been trying to get them on prescription but can't so having to buy them x

"I'm having the same problem with my dad. He's struggling to eat and we have been trying to get them on prescription but can't so having to buy them x"

It's so so wrong isn't it

We did have them after I fought long and hard to get them then he says today we can't have them

But it makes me so mad that you get some people that get free prescriptions for paracetamol and stuff like that

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"as i see it your GP is a stuped little man who things he knows it all, do all you can to help her and take your GP for every coin he has. "

It's very hard to 'take a GP for every coin he has'. The GMC protect doctors and usually favour them.

Speak to mums consultant as he/she should be able to prescribe them. You could also contact Age Concern or your local MP for help.

Keep fighting, she needs them.

With you mentioning Cancer.

If you are intouch or have Macmillan nurses ask them for help /advice.

It was through them we got a loan hospital bed when my dad was having treatment for cancer.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

gps are having to make some difficult decisions and I don't know of anyone who hasn't been affected in some way.

It seems particularly harsh when it affects someone like your mother op.

Did he or she give any clinical reasons for their decision or was it purely down to finances?

apart from this issue, it may be worth asking if she can be assessed for 'continuing care' status which, if she qualifies for it, would pay for some if not all of the external carers...it's not something that is offered unless you ask for an assessment for it.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

So wrong.. good luck with your fight

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Is it that she doesn't want to eat? If so, then that is her right; or

Is the issue that she cannot get these protein drinks for free? If so, then given that you can buy the same ones that the NHS prescribe for under £3 a bottle, then what is the issue? Surely you/your mother can simply spend that on them.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

One option to consider, albeit a bit drastic but has great impact is to involve the local Press.

I recommended this a few years ago for a terminally I'll friend who was gettino the run-around from both her GPS and the Benefits people.

Local newspapers love this type of news; once doctors, local health trusts and budget administrators get wind of negative news concerning them, they usually change their minds!

It worked for my friend with the Dept of Health landing on her GP like a ton weight and she got her meds. Plus, all benefits were reinstated. Involve your local MP too; The Press don't like MP's involved in certain types of news!

Not

"Is it that she doesn't want to eat? If so, then that is her right; or

Is the issue that she cannot get these protein drinks for free? If so, then given that you can buy the same ones that the NHS prescribe for under £3 a bottle, then what is the issue? Surely you/your mother can simply spend that on them."

not everyone can just stump up nearly £100 a month!

bit tough he is withdrawing the prescription - seems a little odd - was she gaining weight whilst she was on them - i work with elderly with dementia and they forget how to chew and swallow so its high calorie everything - full fat milk smoothies etc

Leeds

And there lies the problem!

Latest iphone - no problem. Broadband no problem. Sky tv, drinks, cigarettes, car loan, holiday etc etc....

But everyone expects the NHS to fund everything for free, from some limitless budget, even down to £3 a bottle protein drinks! That's why it has a funding crisis.

"And there lies the problem!

Latest iphone - no problem. Broadband no problem. Sky tv, drinks, cigarettes, car loan, holiday etc etc....

But everyone expects the NHS to fund everything for free, from some limitless budget, even down to £3 a bottle protein drinks! That's why it has a funding crisis."

in case you are unaware, prescriptions for the elderly are free. do you think that is wrong? and they are not protein drinks, they are high calorie.

But everyone expects the NHS to fund everything for free, from some limitless budget, even down to £3 a bottle protein drinks! That's why it has a funding crisis."

my daughter has chrohns and had 6 weeks living on just those drinks - nothing else passed her lips - one precription charge for about 120 bottles - lasted her abuot 3 weeks - she has a repeat for as many as she wants whenever she wants - no questions asked - she has had to do this a few times - and 6 bottles a day at 3 quid is a lot of money for weeks on end - i couldnt afford that -

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Are you suggesting that a 76 year old lady with cancer is cynically using the NHS to get something she refuses to afford due to having all the things you mention above?

Leeds

It's a food replacement. You can't expect the NHS to pay for food.

"It's a food replacement. You can't expect the NHS to pay for food."

yes, you can .if someone is unable to swallow, or keep down food, you think they should be left to starve? really?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

under normal circumstances I agree but I think (on the face of it) these aren't normal circunstances.

Leeds

They should pay for it themselves, from the money that they would normally spend on food that they do not have to buy, because they cannot eat it.

Maybe if NHS didn't waste so much money wouldn't be a problem. When my Dad passed away we offered to take all the boxes of drinks back he'd been prescribed ( all unopened) was told weren't no use and to bin them. Absolute joke

the one she had had anti inflammatory stuff in it - she had to go into hospital to try it to see if any adverse effects were had by taking it - so you know anybody suffering a chrohns flare up - they end up in hospital - how much more does keeping her in hospital cost to keeping her more stable at home on that same stuff they give her in there -

What about stroke victims. ..they cannot swallow in some cases and have to have pre-digested food intravenously.

Would you take that off them too?

"They should pay for it themselves, from the money that they would normally spend on food that they do not have to buy, because they cannot eat it."

she never eats 20 quid a day on food - which is how much they would cost

Leeds

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all add up. £20 a day isn't much. The drinks would not add up to much more than that.

People need to look after themselves and spend their savings on their health, rather than expect the state to fund everything.

Food replacements are not medicine.

Hull

Really? This is your answer?

It's a tad harsh, you don't know this family, or their specific financial circumstances, yet you have emerged with a sweeping statement.

Would you say the same if it was your Mother suffering the same?

"It's a food replacement. You can't expect the NHS to pay for food.

yes, you can .if someone is unable to swallow, or keep down food, you think they should be left to starve? really?"

Ignorance is bliss! I have worked with children who are totally dependent on liquid feeds. It is NOT a choice. If someone really needs food supplements they should have them. If you want cutbacks stop fat people having gastric bands.

"Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all add up. £20 a day isn't much. The drinks would not add up to much more than that.

People need to look after themselves and spend their savings on their health, rather than expect the state to fund everything.

Food replacements are not medicine."

well my food bill never came to 20 a day for anybugger in my household - unless we were eating out - and ffs it isnt a case of looking after yourself my daughter was gb trained trampolinist in the peak of health until chrohns ripped her apart - off school almost 2 full terms - in and out of hospital - please dont say she never looked after herself - she doesnt choose to be ill

"Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all add up. £20 a day isn't much. The drinks would not add up to much more than that.

you have no idea what you are talking about!! you seriously think a lot of pensioners in this country are spending £20 a day on food?...and if they are elderly and very ill, they are also spending a huge amount on things they would not have needed before..go and look up how much incontinence pads are! and yes, if someone is unable to eat or keep down regular food, then yes, it is medicine.

_eedsandy i am leaving this thread now before i get really angry - i wish you health and wealth to carry on with your life

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think that if without them your death will be hastened they are medicine

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"They should pay for it themselves, from the money that they would normally spend on food that they do not have to buy, because they cannot eat it."

#karmacanbeabitch

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"Food replacements are not medicine.

I think that if without them your death will be hastened they are medicine "

I agree, anyway when this guy gets old let's hope he doesn't need any meds or other help

Leeds

They are not medicine. They are just another form of protein. They are a food replacement and the NHS should not have to pay for them, as the original poster's GP correctly concluded. That GP controls the budget to be spent on his patients and he is rationing that budget appropriately.

"They are not medicine. They are just another form of protein. They are a food replacement and the NHS should not have to pay for them, as the original poster's GP correctly concluded. That GP controls the budget to be spent on his patients and he is rationing that budget appropriately."

they are not protein drinks, they are high calorie. the GP's are having their budgets squeezed so hard they having to make very hard decisions, this one will likely be altered once an NHS nutritionist can assess the situation, and the prescription would then come from the areas NHS budget, not the specific GP's. And yes, of course they are a food replacement!! a food replacement for someone who cannot absorb regular food! Not just for the elderly with a particular conditions, but people of any age unfortunate enough to develop a cancer, or have a stroke, or one of many many conditions that prevent them swallowing or keeping down food...you seriously think they should just be left to get on with it regardless of whether they can afford £20 a day or not?

It is unfortunate that these meal replacements will no longer be available on prescriotion. The GP would have had to make this decision out of necessity rather than spite. We are all aware of NHS cutbacks and lack of funding but it can be a harsh reality when it becomes personal.

I would speak to the other specialists who are involved in your mothers care.

wow arent you charming. Will keep the rest to myself.

"They are not medicine. They are just another form of protein. They are a food replacement and the NHS should not have to pay for them, as the original poster's GP correctly concluded. That GP controls the budget to be spent on his patients and he is rationing that budget appropriately."

Please andy.

At least get your facts right before you comment!

i dont spend 20quid a day to feed a family of 5.... my father worked from 14 till nearly 70. He has till cancer hit him rarely been ill. He has had a tube fitted and swallowing is difficult.... so we have got a referral to see if these life saving drinks can be prescribed.

Hull

[Removed by poster at 31/08/17 00:43:34]

Wow hang on a minute my mother is very ill

She suffered a massive stroke just over 7.5 years ago which has left her with barely any mobility

I her daughter and full time carer have to do everything for her

She has to wear adult nappies because she is totally incontinent, I have to clean the shit off her arse, change her nappies like you would a baby

What little she eats I have to spoon feed her because she can no longer feed herself

She has to drink out of a beaker which I have to feed her

She has vascular dementia

The other day it was the anniversary of my fathers death she thought it was her wedding day

Some days she questions who I am

She has that many pills to keep her going she has emphesemia meaning she is now on oxygen to help with her breathing

Battle and fought cancer twice

Now has terminal cancer

She is bloody 76 and worked all her working life to provide for her family

And paid into the NHS system

Part of her disability pays for cares to help me to get he in and out of bed twice a day

Because she is ill doesn't mean that she stops paying bills

She still has gas, electricity, water, rent, poll tax etc to pay

So yes when she has to have these supplement drinks 2 or 3 times a day to survive I do think it's wrong that she has to pay

Ibwill tell you what let's hope you never find you or one of your loved ones in this situation hey

I save the taxpayer and government £1000s of pounds a year

I get a measly £62 a week for being a full time carer 24/7 52 weeks of the year, barely taking timeout. But if I was to out her into a nursing home it would cost in excess of £700/ £800 a week

So please don't preach to me

Hull

"They are not medicine. They are just another form of protein. They are a food replacement and the NHS should not have to pay for them, as the original poster's GP correctly concluded. That GP controls the budget to be spent on his patients and he is rationing that budget appropriately.

Please andy.

At least get your facts right before you comment!

"

Couldn't say it clearer! He's gone quiet!

Andy, if you can realise one important factor, these specialist drinks aren't just "food" as you perceive it; they're life saving items! Or would you rather see people starve?

But everyone expects the NHS to fund everything for free, from some limitless budget, even down to £3 a bottle protein drinks! That's why it has a funding crisis.

Wow hang on a minute my mother is very ill

She suffered a massive stroke just over 7.5 years ago which has left her with barely any mobility

I her daughter and full time carer have to do everything for her

She has to wear adult nappies because she is totally incontinent, I have to clean the shit off her arse, change her nappies like you would a baby

What little she eats I have to spoon feed her because she can no longer feed herself

She has to drink out of a beaker which I have to feed her

She has vascular dementia

The other day it was the anniversary of my fathers death she thought it was her wedding day

Some days she questions who I am

She has that many pills to keep her going she has emphesemia meaning she is now on oxygen to help with her breathing

Battle and fought cancer twice

Now has terminal cancer

She is bloody 76 and worked all her working life to provide for her family

And paid into the NHS system

Part of her disability pays for cares to help me to get he in and out of bed twice a day

Because she is ill doesn't mean that she stops paying bills

She still has gas, electricity, water, rent, poll tax etc to pay

So yes when she has to have these supplement drinks 2 or 3 times a day to survive I do think it's wrong that she has to pay

Ibwill tell you what let's hope you never find you or one of your loved ones in this situation hey

I save the taxpayer and government £1000s of pounds a year

I get a measly £62 a week for being a full time carer 24/7 52 weeks of the year, barely taking timeout. But if I was to out her into a nursing home it would cost in excess of £700/ £800 a week

So please don't preach to me "

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

GP's don't control the budgets. CCG's ( Clinical Commissioning Groups) control the budgets. They control number's of hospital referrals, the amount spent per patient, the medication prescribed, whether Dr's are over or under prescribing. GP's exist to administer health to the population and by withdrawing treatment from an obvious extreme case they are putting a patient at risk.

The OP should write to the practice manager and CC Dr in question requesting an urgent review of the withdrawl of the prescription. Whilst there are withdrawls of medications and services, if a need can be shown I believe they can be reinstated - why the GP has done this given the circumstances is just stupidity.

Oh and by the way she doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, don't have sky, don't have a car, don't have loans, don't have holidays and I pay for the broadband. Do you know whybshe don't have any of those things?

Unlike you she cannot do a thing for herself. It's great when you got your own independence isn't it and can do stuff for yourself and have your dignity

She has neither, she is confined to one room 24/7 because she can do nothing. All she does is stare into space all day barely recognising anyone. She is an empty shell!!!!!!!!

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

It's sad that the Government seems to exert so little influence on the drug industry (surely the drug company lobby in Westminster can't be that strong....or perhaps it can be).

I can understand drug companies wanting to recover investment on modern drugs.

But food supplements be they high calorie or high protein should not be on sale at inflated prices.

It is quite right as one observer says that we would normally expect to pay for our own food. But when treatment necessitates a particular food supplement, some will be unable to pay.

Sadly I suspect drug companies are making a healthy profit on these items which on the face of it require no research investment / development.

When weekly pensions are just over £150, paying £140 for food supplements is clearly not an option.

Yes the NHS is underfunded.... erm because we spend less per capita than many other nations in Europe (less than Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, sweden, switzerland ...just google it!!). On average we spend less than 50% of what the USA spends... so what do you expect. They do a bloody good job under the circumstances.

If a party stepped forward tomorrow & said we'll raise income tax by 5p in the £ & fix the NHS i'd give them a try.

Sadly my guess is they would never win an election.

I'm a fat cunt and I don't spend anywhere near £20 a day on food.

By *DontExistWoman  over a year ago

•+• Silicon valley. •+•

technically DLA is to cover special dietary needs, which is why they ask you about that when claiming it. but people with high care needs quite often cannot afford everything they need while on DLA. it seems a large amount of money but is def not enough for many people.

Update

I've been in contact with all mums specialists and they are all giving me the backing that I need and are not happy with what has happened

I have spoken to a dietician and he isn't happy with the situation and has said that they are a necessity for my mother

He is fast tracking us an appointment to go see him and if need be he will prescribe her them

I have also spoken to the practice manager and awaiting on a decision from him and also I contacted another gp from another surgery for their opinion and they said they would never have stopped her from having them

So fingers next week we should have this resolved

But thanku all for your advice

"technically DLA is to cover special dietary needs, which is why they ask you about that when claiming it. but people with high care needs quite often cannot afford everything they need while on DLA. it seems a large amount of money but is def not enough for many people."

A lot of mums dla goes in paying for carers to help me

"Update

I've been in contact with all mums specialists and they are all giving me the backing that I need and are not happy with what has happened

I have spoken to a dietician and he isn't happy with the situation and has said that they are a necessity for my mother

He is fast tracking us an appointment to go see him and if need be he will prescribe her them

I have also spoken to the practice manager and awaiting on a decision from him and also I contacted another gp from another surgery for their opinion and they said they would never have stopped her from having them

But thanku all for your advice "

I'm so glad that things are going to be resolved for you both. Was an awful predicament to be in. Sounds as though he will be getting some stern talking to about his decision. X

Apparently what's been happening some people have been getting the supplement drinks and shots free .But some people haven't been using them but selling them .it's crap for genuine people who need them .But my opinion is this is why GPS are being careful with supplying them .Alot of money being made by selling this free product that nhs supply which cost them .

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm glad that you're pursuing this with the oncology dept but it's potentially worth a formal complaint to the GP. If the volume of complaints reflecting the painful damage to people's health isn't recorded, even worse things could happen.

By *ungBlackTopMan  over a year ago

salford

Why you choose to air such emotional, personal life events on here is always disastrous. Your mother should be or receiving extra allowance to help cover these costs as they can be expensive if you cannot afford to do this. Ask the Macmillan team or your GP for a DS1500 form to complete. The Macmillan team can also be an advocate for you to get these supplements on prescription for her if she is malnourished. Yes you should get a dietician to assess her nutritional status then your GP has evidence to prove she needs the supplements. Your GP is trying to do his/her job with little resources but if you show evidence that your mother is suffering then I'm certain they don't want that and will do what they can to help her and you. Good luck with it.

"Why you choose to air such emotional, personal life events on here is always disastrous. Your mother should be or receiving extra allowance to help cover these costs as they can be expensive if you cannot afford to do this. Ask the Macmillan team or your GP for a DS1500 form to complete. The Macmillan team can also be an advocate for you to get these supplements on prescription for her if she is malnourished. Yes you should get a dietician to assess her nutritional status then your GP has evidence to prove she needs the supplements. Your GP is trying to do his/her job with little resources but if you show evidence that your mother is suffering then I'm certain they don't want that and will do what they can to help her and you. Good luck with it. "

not sure its been disastrous at all- people given advice and support - yourself included -

"Why you choose to air such emotional, personal life events on here is always disastrous. Your mother should be or receiving extra allowance to help cover these costs as they can be expensive if you cannot afford to do this. Ask the Macmillan team or your GP for a DS1500 form to complete. The Macmillan team can also be an advocate for you to get these supplements on prescription for her if she is malnourished. Yes you should get a dietician to assess her nutritional status then your GP has evidence to prove she needs the supplements. Your GP is trying to do his/her job with little resources but if you show evidence that your mother is suffering then I'm certain they don't want that and will do what they can to help her and you. Good luck with it. "

i can't see how its been disastrous at all? every single person bar one has been very supportive..and they have shown themselves up as someone i doubt anyone who read their posts would ever want to meet. so no, i think its been anything but disastrous!

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

No way is it disastrous. OP needed advice and support. There is absolutely no need to be negative about it - that is disastrous!!!!

By *radleywigginsMan  over a year ago

northwest

OP. This is a ridiculous, doctor bashing tread. I'm sorry that the media and politicians in this country have made you feel that it's alright to criticise people in this manner.

Making it personal and venting your frustration against an individual is pointless. Everyone that works within what the politicians call 'the NHS' are already doing their utmost to provide the best possible care within the contraints that their limited resources allow.

"OP. This is a ridiculous, doctor bashing tread. I'm sorry that the media and politicians in this country have made you feel that it's alright to criticise people in this manner.

Making it personal and venting your frustration against an individual is pointless. Everyone that works within what the politicians call 'the NHS' are already doing their utmost to provide the best possible care within the contraints that their limited resources allow.

"

have you read the whole thread -

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

Frank was given them in hospital & on prescription after his stem cell transplant. Get in touch with Macmillan - they are amazing & will fight on your behalf. The Nestle ones are £1 per sachet in Boots so no, they're not cheap but essential in keeping your mum alive. Fight & keep fighting. See another GP in the practice. See a nurse. Contact her hospital consultant.

Good luck, you shouldn't have to do this xx

B x

"Update

But thanku all for your advice "

Awww!! brilliant news!, I'm crossing my fingers for you that it gets resolved asap. Thanks for the update... this is such a better perspective on the situation, even though it's not 100% favourably resolved yet!, it's hopefully alleviated some of the worry this has all caused you Op!..

Sending you and yours lotsa love and best wishes xxxooo

"I have battled for months to get my elderly mother replacement meal drinks because she doesn't barely eat. She is 76, disabled, has a lot of health problems and has terminal cancer. She stopped eating a while ago and I did everything the go told me to to try and get high calorie food into her but she wasn't having none of it. I had to battle for months with the go to get these supplement shakes fir her as she had lost a vast amount of weight. I eventually got them and all has been fine. Today my gp rang me to inform me that he is no longer allowing her to have them on prescription. And if I can't get her to eat then she will have to buy these complain shakes. When I questioned why he had stopped them he said that he is making cut backs and helping to save the NHS money, and feels that they are not necessary to my mothers welbeing. Now my mother has lost so much weight, if she is 7stine piss wet through that is it.her daily food consumption is two mouthfuls of weetabix and three spoons of chicken soup a day and that's if we are lucky. Personally I think she needs them but he says not. I am now thinking do I get in touch with a dietician and see what they say."

Without going into details, I can tell you a lot about Cancer treatment and palliative care

If your mother has anything over stage one Cancer, then she is most certainly visiting the chemotherapy suite and is being monitored by an oncologist. Speak to her oncologist; maybe she can ask the chemotherapy suite to prescribe

Also, she must have been assigned a Macmillan Cancer nurse. Speak with her too

And there is St. Luke's hospice where she can go for day care

I am sorry that your GP is being so heartless and I hope you can resolve this situation

xxx

- Mrs. J -

Also, any foods or food supplements which are needed to maintain health and are over and above the normal dietary expenditure can be claimed

So if a standard meal costs £5 and the special meal costs £7.50, then your mother can claim £2.50

I don't know your mother's condition but if she is diagnosed with terminal Cancer, which I hope she isn't, and her life expectancy is not more than 12 months then he oncologist can complete a DS1500 form which will make her eligible for PIP for up to 3 years without any assessments

Stay strong. Cancer is the toughest battle we will ever fight in our lives and it affects the entire family

xxx

- Mrs. J -

Apologies to hark on about this on your thread

Again, not knowing your mother's condition, I can only make vague suggestions

Most Stage 4 Cancers metastasise to the liver which in most cases is non-resectable

The options are several. External beam radiation is a possibility but not a very good one. SIRT has shown some good results in increasing the time-to-progression by as much as 5 months

In a recent paper, one patient had his lesions completely destroyed by SIRT

Your mother's oncologist may have mentioned this but one is only eligible for SIRT after two chemotherapy failures which are usually FOLFIRI and FOLFOX

Depending on the state of her KRAS and NRAS genes, she might be suitable for cetuximab or panitumumab. These EFGR inhibitors will not destroy the Cancer cells but with inhibit the division

Please insist on all these treatments

I wish your mother the best

xxx

- Mrs. J -

there's always huel 4 shakes a day is enough for the average active man/woman but they due the nutrition/servings per gram so you can use less to get exactly what your mother needs.

is it that she can't eat much or can only take liquids?

there are always the super dense "mass gainer" shakes so even if she only gets a mouth full or two down get its still hundreds of calories .

"Apparently what's been happening some people have been getting the supplement drinks and shots free .But some people haven't been using them but selling them .it's crap for genuine people who need them .But my opinion is this is why GPS are being careful with supplying them .Alot of money being made by selling this free product that nhs supply which cost them . "

iirc this used to happen a lot with the gluten free prescription food.

less so these days as you can now buy gluten free food cheaper than the cost of the prescription

"OP. This is a ridiculous, doctor bashing tread. I'm sorry that the media and politicians in this country have made you feel that it's alright to criticise people in this manner.

"

wrll evidently theyre not.

as other doctors and specialists have stated this was not the correct course of action the doctor failed to provide adequate care for no justifiable reason.

many many people within the nhs are not doing thier upmost to do anything they are as apathetic to thier work as you, I or the mcdonalds drive through guy.

just because somone works in health care does not make them a saint.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Nutriment: meal replacement in a variety of flavours 99p a meal. Check the Caribbean isle in Sainsbury's/Tescos.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

"I have battled for months to get my elderly mother replacement meal drinks because she doesn't barely eat. She is 76, disabled, has a lot of health problems and has terminal cancer. She stopped eating a while ago and I did everything the go told me to to try and get high calorie food into her but she wasn't having none of it. I had to battle for months with the go to get these supplement shakes fir her as she had lost a vast amount of weight. I eventually got them and all has been fine. Today my gp rang me to inform me that he is no longer allowing her to have them on prescription. And if I can't get her to eat then she will have to buy these complain shakes. When I questioned why he had stopped them he said that he is making cut backs and helping to save the NHS money, and feels that they are not necessary to my mothers welbeing. Now my mother has lost so much weight, if she is 7stine piss wet through that is it.her daily food consumption is two mouthfuls of weetabix and three spoons of chicken soup a day and that's if we are lucky. Personally I think she needs them but he says not. I am now thinking do I get in touch with a dietician and see what they say."

(It's a long thread and I've only read a bit).

Op I'm sorry to hear that its awful.

I'm going through similar with my Dad but he's on 'ensure' drinks instead, I'm grateful he dosent have a problem getting it.

Your local cancer hospital or consultants can over ride your gp.

Your Mum would of paid into this pot that he's trying to budget but he's not the chancelor.

Have a look for 'ensure' and it's price and go above the gp in regards to decisions.

Once again, sorry to hear your troubles.

» Add a new message to this topic