FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ocean in our Plastic

Ocean in our Plastic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do you make concerted effort to responsibly reduce , recycle or eliminate your plastic waste ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Yes. I never used to everything went in the black bag but I seperate it now

By *ason.Man  over a year ago

west yorkshire

Having traveled round the world was suprised how much plastic is washed up on beaches

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes, I even got a second recycling bin so I could recycle more x

I'd like to do more tbh. I'm very interested in the subject and had a fb page dedicated to spotlighting people's efforts. There's plenty of people who've reduced their plastic usage down to 0 and I always find them very inspiring.

I use my plastic bags as bin liners and in Brighton the council supposedly recycles, tho I have heard some of the recycled waste goes to landfill occasionally.

I make my own synthetic free cosmetics so I have at least stopped buying as many beauty products stored in plastic.... I also pick up waste if it's in front of me as here in Brighton, it'll end up in the sea sooner rather than later... Though I do realise some peeps will see me as being a vile do gooder with a rubbish collecting addiction lol.

"Yes. I never used to everything went in the black bag but I seperate it now"

Good-on you .... it's so simple for us as individuals to do the right thing at our end of the waste management system .....

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Yes I do

I was thinking that when 3D printers become common place maybe they could be made to use plastic as the compound to fabricate things from?!, then it'd always be easily reusable

"Having traveled round the world was suprised how much plastic is washed up on beaches

"

Me too and it's sickening ,,,,

"I'd like to do more tbh. I'm very interested in the subject and had a fb page dedicated to spotlighting people's efforts. There's plenty of people who've reduced their plastic usage down to 0 and I always find them very inspiring.

I use my plastic bags as bin liners and in Brighton the council supposedly recycles, tho I have heard some of the recycled waste goes to landfill occasionally.

I make my own synthetic free cosmetics so I have at least stopped buying as many beauty products stored in plastic.... I also pick up waste if it's in front of me as here in Brighton, it'll end up in the sea sooner rather than later... Though I do realise some peeps will see me as being a vile do gooder with a rubbish collecting addiction lol.

"

Brilliant

"Yes, I even got a second recycling bin so I could recycle more x "

"Yes I do"

I do, I even work for a recycling company.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I do indeed.

Yes. My recycling bin is used daily.

It's not just about recycling, which i think everyone has a duty to do, but also things like micro beads in toothpaste that are causing problems.

"Yes, I even got a second recycling bin so I could recycle more x "

Is it made from recycled or fresh plastic?

It amuses me a little that the recycling bins are not bio-degradable and also intensively coloured which makes them unlikely to be recycled.

By *ason.Man  over a year ago

west yorkshire

I have a workshop and everything ordered is packaged in wasteful plastic and cardboard

In Asia noticed people collecting carboard to sell to recycle but like they do with scrap metal over here.

We have separate bins for cardboard but get charged to take it away

I admit that I throw away condoms after only one use....

There are calls for a single use plastic tax and if the money raised by that tax was targeted specifically for cleaning our ocean I will be totally in favour of it.

I also feel the hierarchy of waste management would be better served by reducing the amount of waste we create, recycling the waste we do create but more importantly where possible eliminating the production of waste ....

Most of my rubbish goes in the recycling bin, I only have about one pedal bin full of non recyclable waste per week which isn't too bad.

I remember a time when its was common place to reuse many of the product packaging's we now throw away ....

Yes. Our local council and waste recycling unit (the tip) are shit hot and if you go to the tip and have a slightly guilty look on your face they rip open the bags and go through them and then an 18 year old council employee berates you for being shit at seperating waste.

Watch the documentary on the plastic whale it's so sad.

I live next to loads of beaches and always see the crap that's washed up but they're pretty good at clearing it up, it's gone within a day but it is a daily thing with the tides!

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

You would be amazed at how many energy drinks bottles are picked up by locals dog walking around here. We have a problem with walkers and cyclists who think it's acceptable to discard their empty drinks bottles on the moors and in the verges along the lanes.

I would love to see an internationally sponsored project where specially designed ships continually comb the main garbage gyres that have built up in our oceans over the past few decades

Granted it would be a never ending task but surely with shared funding from all the developed nations it would be a relatively small price to pay for helping save our planet

I do. We have a few water bottles to try and avoid buying bottles of drink while we're out - I always take them home to recycle but reduce and reuse are better options.

I think G gets fed up with how much time I spend checking an item is ok to go in our recycling bins, he'd just throw it out.

I've also just got some stainless steel straws so little un, who loves a straw to drink with if we're say out at a cafe, isn't burning through single use plastic ones.

We live near the sea too and the rubbish on the strand line is awful.

Microbeads in toothpaste and facewashes/ exfoliators are a problem too. Something I need to read more about to be able to avoid.

Not really it all goes in the grey bin but do put garden waste in the green bin sorry to say but until are council starts doing more it can't be arsed

"I do. We have a few water bottles to try and avoid buying bottles of drink while we're out - I always take them home to recycle but reduce and reuse are better options.

I think G gets fed up with how much time I spend checking an item is ok to go in our recycling bins, he'd just throw it out.

I've also just got some stainless steel straws so little un, who loves a straw to drink with if we're say out at a cafe, isn't burning through single use plastic ones.

We live near the sea too and the rubbish on the strand line is awful.

Microbeads in toothpaste and facewashes/ exfoliators are a problem too. Something I need to read more about to be able to avoid. "

I love the sound of those stainless steel drinking straws..... brilliant idea ...

Yes micro beads should be banned from use full-stop .....

They are totally unnecessary and can easily be replaced with none harmful bio degradable alternatives ....

"Not really it all goes in the grey bin but do put garden waste in the green bin sorry to say but until are council starts doing more it can't be arsed "

Do you not feel that is a bit defeatist

Every piece of domestically generated plastic waste which ends up contaminating the marine environment starts with the action or inaction of an individual ....

"Not really it all goes in the grey bin but do put garden waste in the green bin sorry to say but until are council starts doing more it can't be arsed

Every piece of domestically generated plastic waste which ends up contaminating the marine environment starts with the action or inaction of an individual .... "

no like I've said when the council does more I'll do more I used to save paper cardboard in my green bin with my garden waste but not aloud anymore to many containers so now it goes in the grey bin.

We have no choice here. We have orange bags for cardboard, white bags for paper, blue bags for plastic, tins and aerosols, brown bin for the food waste and can put out just two blue (bin bags) a fortnight for general waste.

We have to recycle, if you go to the tip (civic amenity site) they look at your stuff and will rip open bags to check.

"Not really it all goes in the grey bin but do put garden waste in the green bin sorry to say but until are council starts doing more it can't be arsed

Every piece of domestically generated plastic waste which ends up contaminating the marine environment starts with the action or inaction of an individual .... no like I've said when the council does more I'll do more I used to save paper cardboard in my green bin with my garden waste but not aloud anymore to many containers so now it goes in the grey bin. "

Yes some local council make it difficult for residents ...

Our local council has started imposing a charge for collecting garden waste in the bin they provided..... most people in my area have stopped using the previously inclusive service ...

It seems odd the council make it harder to dispose of what is essentially none hazardous waste

Yep it's because it cost's them to recycle it my council only wants what it can make money from like are local tip they keep going on how it cost's them £200000 a year to run but they don't say it made £180000 from the scrap metal and wood and that's the small tip.

If you're on Faceache the Marine Conservation Society posted a picture just before 10am today of a whale made of recycled plastic which represents the amount of it going into the ocean every second. Pretty shocking.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Absolutely! And I critically give feedback to organizations that mandate overuse of plastic, leaving consumers with little choice

"Do you make concerted effort to responsibly reduce , recycle or eliminate your plastic waste ? "

Yes...it's become second nature after living in Germany.

"Do you make concerted effort to responsibly reduce , recycle or eliminate your plastic waste ?

"

When I was working in the Danish sector I was allays impressed how few plastic bottles were used .....

The vast majority of consumable products that came in bottles were in glass bottles that required a refundable deposit .....

It was system that worked well ...

"Do you make concerted effort to responsibly reduce , recycle or eliminate your plastic waste ?

When I was working in the Danish sector I was allays impressed how few plastic bottles were used .....

The vast majority of consumable products that came in bottles were in glass bottles that required a refundable deposit .....

It was system that worked well ... "

It really does....the pfand is a ingenious idea ...something I think that we should adapt over here.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"If you're on Faceache the Marine Conservation Society posted a picture just before 10am today of a whale made of recycled plastic which represents the amount of it going into the ocean every second. Pretty shocking. "

I saw that to.

We're away at the moment and there's quite a lot of people leaving their rubbish behind on the beach!!!

"I admit that I throw away condoms after only one use...."

"If you're on Faceache the Marine Conservation Society posted a picture just before 10am today of a whale made of recycled plastic which represents the amount of it going into the ocean every second. Pretty shocking.

I saw that to.

We're away at the moment and there's quite a lot of people leaving their rubbish behind on the beach!!! "

I hate that. Some people just think the ocean is a big litter bin. Or that their crap isn't their responsibility.

Our council is pretty good for recyling but they charge to take away garden waste.

What!! Glass bottles with refunds... Its unprovably complex I tell thee

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Germany adds a small fee to drinks in plastic bottles and you can either return the bottle for a refund or, as mostly happens, throw it away so the homeless can collect them for money. Remember the old Barr bottles?

That's what needs to e done. Plastic bag usage reduced by 95% when the charge came in. I bet we could reduce plastic bottle usage with a fee.

It'll give everybody cancer in the long run anyhow and therefore reduce the plastic considerably

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"It'll give everybody cancer in the long run anyhow and therefore reduce the plastic considerably "

I bet we start thinking of alternatives once the oil starts running out!

"It'll give everybody cancer in the long run anyhow and therefore reduce the plastic considerably

I bet we start thinking of alternatives once the oil starts running out!"

It'll never run out... Theres shed loads of the stuff.

Not to throw a spanner in the works like but glass is energy intensive stuff, it's made from sand primarily and sand is extracted with diggers and excavators running on diesel, you've then gotta process it and heat it up to the surface of the sun using fossil fuels.... Its why we use plastic and not glass!.

At the end ov day ... It's called civilisation

Plastic recycling would be far easier if the container manufactures were forced to stick to a restricted choice of ingredient formula....

As it is now... it's hard to find two brands of shampoo bottles made of compatibly recyclable construction

This is solely fuelled by marketing and has no practical application other than creating brand identity

"I do, I even work for a recycling company. "
I pay to have to sorted as rent houses and don't wish to put my hands in there dirty bins. And if beer cans come in plastic around cans I cut each one so no animal can get hurt as I seen what they can do.

"Germany adds a small fee to drinks in plastic bottles and you can either return the bottle for a refund or, as mostly happens, throw it away so the homeless can collect them for money. Remember the old Barr bottles?

That's what needs to e done. Plastic bag usage reduced by 95% when the charge came in. I bet we could reduce plastic bottle usage with a fee."

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Germany adds a small fee to drinks in plastic bottles and you can either return the bottle for a refund or, as mostly happens, throw it away so the homeless can collect them for money. Remember the old Barr bottles?

That's what needs to e done. Plastic bag usage reduced by 95% when the charge came in. I bet we could reduce plastic bottle usage with a fee.

"

agree..

Proud to say that the extent of my recycling and waste reduction is great,

Food waste goes to compost

Cans, bottles and containers go to recycling, and since I stopped buying pre package foods. My waste has dropped by more than half.

I've bought a lot of items that save me on money and packaging, like my meat slicer, glass storage tubs, and chest freezer it means I use my containers over and over again. And I don't have to buy expensive packs of cold meats.

I think we need to go backwards to go forwards. When I was a kid there was hardly any waste. The outside bin smelled of ashtrays and potato peelings, and that was about it

"Proud to say that the extent of my recycling and waste reduction is great,

Cans, bottles and containers go to recycling, and since I stopped buying pre package foods. My waste has dropped by more than half.

I've bought a lot of items that save me on money and packaging, like my meat slicer, glass storage tubs, and chest freezer it means I use my containers over and over again. And I don't have to buy expensive packs of cold meats.

I think we need to go backwards to go forwards. When I was a kid there was hardly any waste. The outside bin smelled of ashtrays and potato peelings, and that was about it

"

I remember when bins were metal

I remember when bins were metal "

So do I.

So do I. "

It's even worse when you can remember the ones with metal lids that had that unmistakable sound as they were clashed to the floor during collection...

Them new fangled galvanised steel ones with those heavy duty rubber lid just didn't sound the same .....

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

Yes they were two sizes about 50 litre and 90 litres for all the household rubbish (except for newspapers & magazines) including the ash from the coal fire(s).

Now we have three 240 litre wheelie bins that get emptied once a fortnight and no coal fires.

The main cause of the extra rubbish is unnecessary packaging.

While on the subject of pollution how many dry their washing on the clothes line rather than in a tumble drier?

Yes they were two sizes about 50 litre and 90 litres for all the household rubbish (except for newspapers & magazines) including the ash from the coal fire(s).

Now we have three 240 litre wheelie bins that get emptied once a fortnight and no coal fires.

The main cause of the extra rubbish is unnecessary packaging.

While on the subject of pollution how many dry their washing on the clothes line rather than in a tumble drier?

"

All my washing goes on the line..

The amount of clips round the ear I got as a kid for using the bin as a drum while my dad was in bed lol, little shit I was, totally ignored the warning "your dad's on nights, keep the noise down" got me back though, when I started doing nights he came round and made a right racket, funny old bugger, God I miss him

When I was a kid we used screwed up newspapers to spark the flame under sticks that set fire to the coal

"Plastic recycling would be far easier if the container manufactures were forced to stick to a restricted choice of ingredient formula....

As it is now... it's hard to find two brands of shampoo bottles made of compatibly recyclable construction

This is solely fuelled by marketing and has no practical application other than creating brand identity "

Everybody that works in marketing should kill themselves for the God of humanity.... Coz otherwise we're gonna have to do it for you

I'm only joking...I love marketing, they've made a wonderful job out of that Christmas malarky drinking contest

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Always try & separate out what I can, although unbelievably the local council has only recently started recycling some of the items like yoghurt pots etc.

I bought a couple of recycled fold down "crates" for shopping with, so no plastic bags are used, and try to avoid as much plastic packaging as I can. The fruit & veg wrappings really annoy me, and I now never buy from a supermarket - only the greengrocers. Quite often better prices & always (so far) better quality!)

Being a scuba diver I've witnessed first hand how much waste enters the sea, I've always tried my hardest to be green and cut down on my carbon foot print, riding my bike to work as much as possible, recycling when I can and trying to buy food that doesn't have loads of unnecessary packaging, can be difficult, but if we all do our bit then maybe we can make a difference.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

That's what needs to e done. Plastic bag usage reduced by 95% when the charge came in. I bet we could reduce plastic bottle usage with a fee."

Many US states have deposit fees repaid too, often meaning the homeless tidy areas up and get a small reward for efforts.

It's obscene how we humans destroy natural resources and then pollute our world

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Was it just like we used to do when we were kids,taking the pop bottles back to the corner shop.

Apparently Scotland is about to introduce a refundable levy on plastic drinks bottles ....

I'm chuffed to bits

I recycle and reuse as much as I can.

Genuinely not being flippant about this bit most of the plastic items I leave in the greenhouse disintegrate within a few months.

"Genuinely not being flippant about this bit most of the plastic items I leave in the greenhouse disintegrate within a few months."

Science shows without doubt that the decomposition of plastic releases harmful gas with significantly adds to the greenhouse effect ,,,,,

Responsible waste management is what we should aim for

I watched Idiocrasy again this weekend. It's happening.......

Brawndo and Trump.

"Genuinely not being flippant about this bit most of the plastic items I leave in the greenhouse disintegrate within a few months.

Science shows without doubt that the decomposition of plastic releases harmful gas with significantly adds to the greenhouse effect ,,,,,

Responsible waste management is what we should aim for "

Note for future. ...replace plastic plant pots with terracotta ones

"Genuinely not being flippant about this bit most of the plastic items I leave in the greenhouse disintegrate within a few months.

Note for future. ...replace plastic plant pots with terracotta ones "

You don't need to do that...... just dispose of them responsibly when you no longer have a use for them .....

Typical over reaction from the Teesside contingent

You don't need to do that...... just dispose of them responsibly when you no longer have a use for them .....

Typical over reaction from the Teesside contingent "

Ok I'll scrap that... as the fecking sun never gets through the smog.

I think we are exempt

I think we are exempt "

Well all the more reason for you too support reducing and recycling single use plastics......

Ultimately it will help lift the smog and you will be abbe to see what Teesside really looks like ....

I think we are exempt

Well all the more reason for you too support reducing and recycling single use plastics......

Ultimately it will help lift the smog and you will be abbe to see what Teesside really looks like .... "

Make a trip to the top of the roker lighthouse and you'll see

Something's are better left unseen

"Something's are better left unseen"

Exactly

I think we are exempt

Ultimately it will help lift the smog and you will be abbe to see what Teesside really looks like ....

Make a trip to the top of the roker lighthouse and you'll see "

Have you ever walked through Roker pier Tunnel .......?

It leads from the old lightkeepers cottage to the lighthouse.....

Didn't know about that did you huh !

I think we are exempt

Didn't know about that did you huh ! "

Is it open yet?. .and yeah we get the same local news as you mackems

I think we are exempt

Didn't know about that did you huh !

Is it open yet?. .and yeah we get the same local news as you mackems "

I'm not sure if it's open to the public at the moment ..... I know the plan is to do that and there is restoration work being carried out on the pier and lighthouse right now.....

I went along with a local history group .....

A local history group hey

"A local history group hey "

Yeh soxy was the oldest relic there

"A local history group hey "

I'm sure you can imagine recreational sex is not a subject high on their agenda....

But having a working knowledge of Anoraks sturdy walking shoes and the pros and cons of thermos flasks will keep you in conversation that avoids hair products and personal grooming ......

"A local history group hey

I'm sure you can imagine recreational sex is not a subject high on their agenda....

But having a working knowledge of Anoraks sturdy walking shoes and the pros and cons of thermos flasks will keep you in conversation that avoids hair products and personal grooming ...... "

Hope you had your way finders on

But having a working knowledge of Anoraks sturdy walking shoes and the pros and cons of thermos flasks will keep you in conversation that avoids hair products and personal grooming ......

Hope you had your way finders on"

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

The pier has a lighthouse at the wet end and dry land at the other end I'd hardly lose my baring.....

Fuk-sake......

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

The pier has a lighthouse at the wet end and dry land at the other end I'd hardly lose my baring.....

Fuk-sake...... "

Your way back home?

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

Fuk-sake......

Your way back home? "

Well without giving too much away ..... I can just about see the pier from the servants quarters of Casa Sox...

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

Fuk-sake......

Your way back home?

Well without giving too much away ..... I can just about see the pier from the servants quarters of Casa Sox... "

Ah that will be that once fine building...but hence a little rundown Hylton Castle

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

Fuk-sake......

Your way back home?

Well without giving too much away ..... I can just about see the pier from the servants quarters of Casa Sox...

Ah that will be that once fine building...but hence a little rundown Hylton Castle "

You'd need ultra-high powered x-ray vision too see it from there....

By *arry WindsorMan  over a year ago

Heaton Park Manchester

"Yes, I even got a second recycling bin so I could recycle more x

Is it made from recycled or fresh plastic?

It amuses me a little that the recycling bins are not bio-degradable and also intensively coloured which makes them unlikely to be recycled. "

When they reach the end of their useful life they are recycled to make recycling bins which need to be resistant to bio degradation in oder to have a useful lifetime.

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

Fuk-sake......

Your way back home?

Ah that will be that once fine building...but hence a little rundown Hylton Castle

"

Give me a little time...I'll find it

I spent 2 years up there working for Sunderland housing...before they named themselves after a fucking penguin

So I have a fair knowledge of the area

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

Fuk-sake......

Your way back home?

I spent 2 years up there working for Sunderland housing...before they named themselves after a fucking penguin

So I have a fair knowledge of the area "

Well you'll know we have private security so your chances of gaining entry are slim to none.... but bring your passport just in case .....

Don't be ridiculous,,,,

Fuk-sake......

Your way back home?

So I have a fair knowledge of the area

Well you'll know we have private security so your chances of gaining entry are slim to none.... but bring your passport just in case ..... "

Aw that's me fucked....it's expired

Anyone read the recent study done which found plastic fibers in our drinking water? Just another extension of the problem.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/06/plastic-fibres-found-tap-water-around-world-study-reveals

"Anyone read the recent study done which found plastic fibers in our drinking water? Just another extension of the problem.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/06/plastic-fibres-found-tap-water-around-world-study-reveals"

Al Gore summed it up nicely for me with regards to sceptics about how were ruining the world.

We'll happily believe scientists about a meteor shower arriving and sit out all night to see it.

But if the same scientists tell us we're ruining the world and need to change our actions....well that's inconvenient so let's doubt it!!

I may have to look into getting a filter tap for drinking ... Not sure what the cost is.?

"I may have to look into getting a filter tap for drinking ... Not sure what the cost is.?"

They are, unfortunately, also usually made of plastic - adding yet more plastic to the environment.

I was reading a book the other day that talked about "opting out." That is, it addressed the issue of facing tough problems in society and instead of fixing those problems, instead choosing to go private - to "opt out" of the societal problem. Perhaps filters and bottled water are just another extension of this. Instead of global outrage at the poor quality of our drinking water we all just opt-out with filters and bottled water. And in the end just exacerbate the original problem.

Just a thought.

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

And when did you last drink any water and notice any plastic in it?

It's just scaremongering by idiots who have their own agenda.

There are far bigger problems in the world to worry about.

"And when did you last drink any water and notice any plastic in it?

It's just scaremongering by idiots who have their own agenda.

There are far bigger problems in the world to worry about."

Yeah. You're probably right. I couldn't see the microfibers.....so it must have been China again with their global warming scaremongering. I feel better now.

By *imetoexplore69Couple  over a year ago

Aberdeen

Why is it always the average joe that has to make the changes,fuck that.it's the muti million pound industry's that should be making the changes so an actual difference can be made like swapping out plastic for hemp for example. then we wouldint even have to worry about recycling plastics.it's the same with charity.rich people and that bear with one eye telling poor people to "just give what you can".

Leeds

Spot on post. And those charity adverts asking for £3, presented by some actor, who earned £100 million from his last film. Why doesn't he donate £50 million from that?

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

Yes we have fucked up our planet! what are we leaving for our children, as it is them that will have to deal with this mess.

All Wildlife, sea life, and humans have this crap in their food chain we are eating the stuff in small amounts every day. Its Killing us and the planet we are paying for our lack of respect for this amazing world we live in.

"Spot on post. And those charity adverts asking for £3, presented by some actor, who earned £100 million from his last film. Why doesn't he donate £50 million from that?"

I quick Google search identifies a number of sites that highlight the charitable generosity of stars and celebrities who donate vast sums to help allsorts of deserving causes ...

I always check them out before slagging anyone off

Leeds

Except that the air and the seas have never been as clean and more animal species are protected than before.

And you can be in amazing countryside from the centre of Leeds in less than an hour and it's hard to see how anything has been spoiled.

"Why is it always the average joe that has to make the changes,fuck that.it's the muti million pound industry's that should be making the changes so an actual difference can be made like swapping out plastic for hemp for example. then we wouldint even have to worry about recycling plastics.it's the same with charity.rich people and that bear with one eye telling poor people to "just give what you can"."

I agree to an extent. I think we all have to do something but the brunt of it has to be felt by those who make the products, rather than those who consume. However, they are never going to change if we don't demand that they change. We make demands in a capitalist society with our wallets. We could demand change through our government, but we seem to have ceded that to the wealthy already.

Leeds

Except that the cost always comes back on us. And if we insist that the Government insists that the companies swallow the cost, then that is the start of Communism, as the Government is interfering in the free market.

And it is fanciful to think that enough people will ever care enough to effect the change. They will just want whatever is the cheapest, hence why the cheapest bottled water is always in plastic and not glass bottles.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Every piece of domestically generated plastic waste which ends up contaminating the marine environment starts with the action or inaction of an individual .... no like I've said when the council does more I'll do more I used to save paper cardboard in my green bin with my garden waste but not aloud anymore to many containers so now it goes in the grey bin.

Our local council has started imposing a charge for collecting garden waste in the bin they provided..... most people in my area have stopped using the previously inclusive service ...

It seems odd the council make it harder to dispose of what is essentially none hazardous waste "

The problem with green waste is it always ends up with plastics and other contaminates that make the composted product unuseable. I could happily take a few hundred tones a year to improve my fields if it could be produced as clean compost. It would just require people taking more care sorting their waste...!

"Except that the cost always comes back on us. And if we insist that the Government insists that the companies swallow the cost, then that is the start of Communism, as the Government is interfering in the free market.

And it is fanciful to think that enough people will ever care enough to effect the change. They will just want whatever is the cheapest, hence why the cheapest bottled water is always in plastic and not glass bottles."

It isn't fanciful. The idea is to bring it to people's attention. If the cost comes back to us then we have to decide whether the cost is worth it. At some point in the future, it will have to be. There are ways of spreading the costs, especially in the form of taxing corporations and other regulations, but again, we need a government that is interested in doing that.

We are in the midst of the 6th mass extinction event in known history. Science is pointing at a crisis for animals and humans alike (with plastics as well as other issues). We all need to decide that its important to us, not have an argument over whose fault it is. We need solutions on how to fix it.

Leeds

There are much bigger issues in the world. And if you tax the corporations, they just pass on that tax to the consumers.

"There are much bigger issues in the world. And if you tax the corporations, they just pass on that tax to the consumers. "

We can deal with more than one thing at a time.

And its been shown time and again that costs to corporations aren't passed down in equal ratio to consumers. The same argument has been proven wrong when it comes to the debate over minimum wage.

Leeds

No one is interested though. Just a few environmental loonies.

Mainly because it always ends up costing the consumer more, just like the minimum wage has, or it leads to job losses.

And the science is always suspect, just like the benefits of diesel cars, that we were all told about a few years ago.

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

We've probably all seen junk floating about on holiday.

But have you seen Bear Grylls Island on TV now? That inhabited island with no-one tidying the beach just shows how bad it is.

I am a fervent recycler . It's important that we all do our bit.

Landfill is full , and where do we dump our rubbish . Nobody wants a tip by them.

I am so proud that Wales is in the top five countries for recycling in Europe. I have seen a marked improvement since we introduced the plastic bag tax , years before any one else.

We all have a responsibility for our waste and for the upkeep of our environment. , we only have one planet

Leeds

It's filmed in Panama, and the rubbish is from passing ships who just dump their rubbish overboard and South American countries who have bigger problems to worry about than recycling rubbish.

I've never been a defeatist , I've never put energy into making excuses for doing nothing and quite frankly I'd be ashamed of myself if I ever did ......

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

I am sat here right now drinking a bottle of Pepsi Max when I am finished it, I will put it in my recycling bin. But how do I know that it is getting recycled and not just going into a landfill or if it finds it's way in to the sea.

Yes it comes down to money, councils, Governments and every country on the planet doing its bit to help. But no one wants to admit that this is their problem its as if we ignore it, it will just go away.

We as individuals and households can only do a small amount to help.

The big manufactures and packaging companies must come up with ways to allow these plastics to brake down without harming the environment or alternatively new environmentally friendly packaging.

But even that maybe to late for sea life & our planet.

Every piece of domestically generated plastic waste which ends up contaminating the marine environment starts with the action or inaction of an individual .... no like I've said when the council does more I'll do more I used to save paper cardboard in my green bin with my garden waste but not aloud anymore to many containers so now it goes in the grey bin.

It seems odd the council make it harder to dispose of what is essentially none hazardous waste

The problem with green waste is it always ends up with plastics and other contaminates that make the composted product unuseable. I could happily take a few hundred tones a year to improve my fields if it could be produced as clean compost. It would just require people taking more care sorting their waste...!"

Are you a farmer?

Leeds

But plastic that breaks down easily is always cheap and nasty and doesn't protect the product, which is its primary purpose.

And the plastic that they say can be recycled is recycled, because the council make money from selling it.

"It's filmed in Panama, and the rubbish is from passing ships who just dump their rubbish overboard and South American countries who have bigger problems to worry about than recycling rubbish."

I don't know why you keep falling back on the argument that there are bigger issues. We can deal with multiple issues at once. And some would argue that there really aren't bigger issues, when you look at the biggr picture.

Leeds

Tell that to the many 3rd world countries with no clean water, and where the population are starving.

Tell that to North Korea.

Tell that to countries that are bankrupt like Venezuala.

There were Blue Peter appeals back in the 1970s when I was a kid for starving Africans. 40 years on and they are just as starving.

And you think we can solve multiple problems at once. Yeah right! We cannot even solve one!

"Tell that to the many 3rd world countries with no clean water, and where the population are starving.

Tell that to North Korea.

Tell that to countries that are bankrupt like Venezuala.

There were Blue Peter appeals back in the 1970s when I was a kid for starving Africans. 40 years on and they are just as starving.

And you think we can solve multiple problems at once. Yeah right! We cannot even solve one!"

But I'm not talking about the 3rd world countries. I'm talking about the 1st world countries (and the corporations operating within them) that make most of the plastic harming the environment. Such as the countries in Europe, the U.S., and China.

I just hear excuses from your posts instead of solutions.

Leeds

And you criticise me for saying that there are bigger issues! And you have the affront to ignore the whole of the 3rd world!

Millions are starving and have no clean water, are diseased and have no quality of life and no life expectancy, and all you are interested is some plastic in the UK.

For the last time:

T H E R E A R E

B I G G E R I S S U E S

"And you criticise me for saying that there are bigger issues! And you have the affront to ignore the whole of the 3rd world!

Millions are starving and have no clean water, are diseased and have no quality of life and no life expectancy, and all you are interested is some plastic in the UK.

For the last time:

T H E R E A R E

B I G G E R I S S U E S "

You keep missing the point. Is it purposeful?

I'm not ignoring the 3rd world. I'm saying the impetus for change lies in the 1st world. Of course things are bad in the 3rd world, but environmentally speaking, it is largely due to the bad practices of the 1st world. If you don't see that, then I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

But it doesn't change my assertion that those of us who do see it and who do care, should take steps to rectify the problem before it's too late.

I hope I made that clear. I didn't include all caps so one never knows if one's point is getting across.

"No one is interested though. Just a few environmental loonies.

Mainly because it always ends up costing the consumer more, just like the minimum wage has, or it leads to job losses.

And the science is always suspect, just like the benefits of diesel cars, that we were all told about a few years ago."

Go on then, show me this science on diesel cars being better for the environment?.

I suspect you've made that shit up frankly... Or maybe your confusing science with government think tanks and policy?

This post makesure me laugh a little as now some will know I'm a "smoggy" and loving in Teesside (it was Yorkshire when I was born here) ICI was the leading employer here years ago.

There waste solution was "send it to north Sea storage ".

Big business does not give a shite about where ever they locate themselves...it's all a case of not getting found out to what they dump.

Leeds

The 3rd world's environmental problems are not caused by the 1st world.

The 1st world has bigger problems to deal with than the environment.

And everyone lies. In the UK, you are expected to sort your own rubbish and recyle as much as you can, and Germany keeps opening new coal fired power stations, to power its heavy industies.

It's always do as I say, not do as I do.

Auto carrot was atrocious in that post doh

Ive read shit loads of science on diesel emissions for the last 15 years all saying it would be a total environmental disaster to push for diesel as a replacement for petrol!

Leeds

So why did the EU not read the same thing? Why did they push us towards diesel?

Sheffield

"And you criticise me for saying that there are bigger issues! And you have the affront to ignore the whole of the 3rd world!

For the last time:

T H E R E A R E

So, is it safe to assume you won't be posting in any forum threads, unless they are about 3rd world starvation?

"So why did the EU not read the same thing? Why did they push us towards diesel?"

Car manufacturers and lobbyists

Leeds

Of course I will. I don't really care about that either, like most people.

I was simply pointing out that it is a bigger issue that has never been solved than a few bits of plastic washing up on a beach.

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

Yes I do, I'm not just concerned about myself I am also concerned for the curie generations.

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

For the last time:

T H E R E A R E

It is rather difficult to actually help the 3rd world, because millions of pounds is raised for them and the only way it can be passed over is to hand it to their government and they do with it what they will, hence there's hardly any improvement compared to the money that has been raised.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS  over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

well I'm happy to say none of my plastic is floating around polluting the oceans..

i burn it all in the back garden..

Leeds

And if we cannot even solve the problems of 3rd world corruption and birth control, then we don't have much hope of sorting anything else out, which is why we never have.

And insofar as the environment is concerned, it is just a nuisance, as it costs us all money, and is inconvenient, and it all seems pointless as a small person in a small country, that doesn't produce much.

We are all supposed to be in Europe, but we are closing coal fired power stations, whilst the Germans are opening new ones.

Russia, China and India have never signed up to any climate change controls. The US has just binned theirs.

And those countries produce more pollution than the rest of the world pu together.

Sheffield

"And if we cannot even solve the problems of 3rd world corruption and birth control, then we don't have much hope of sorting anything else out, which is why we never have.

And insofar as the environment is concerned, it is just a nuisance, as it costs us all money, and is inconvenient, and it all seems pointless as a small person in a small country, that doesn't produce much.

We are all supposed to be in Europe, but we are closing coal fired power stations, whilst the Germans are opening new ones.

Russia, China and India have never signed up to any climate change controls. The US has just binned theirs.

And those countries produce more pollution than the rest of the world pu together."

Good point. Lets all do nothing about anything then

"And if we cannot even solve the problems of 3rd world corruption and birth control, then we don't have much hope of sorting anything else out, which is why we never have.

And those countries produce more pollution than the rest of the world pu together.

Good point. Lets all do nothing about anything then"

This is what I don't get. Its like arguing that since people are acting wrongly, we therefore shouldn't act rightly. The mind boggles.

There is a mass of plastic clumped together in the middle of a couple of oceans you could stand on. Held by currents, you'd think that could be recovered.

Micro plastic is now being found embeded in tissue of marine creatures so it could end up on our dinner plates

"There are calls for a single use plastic tax and if the money raised by that tax was targeted specifically for cleaning our ocean I will be totally in favour of it.

I also feel the hierarchy of waste management would be better served by reducing the amount of waste we create, recycling the waste we do create but more importantly where possible eliminating the production of waste .... "

Bio degradable packaging

When I'm out, i pick up the odd plastic drink bottle, straws, lids etc. I live near the point where people in cars have eaten their mac d's and thrown them out the car windows

And those countries produce more pollution than the rest of the world pu together."

It's a bit more complicated than that, Germany binned all there nuclear power stations after Fukushima as a temporary measure they have opened new coal fired power stations, they also produce one of the highest rates of renewable energy as well!!.

Russia China and India have signed the Paris accord and last time I looked the USA haven't pulled out yet?.

However there's science like Tim Garrett's paper that looks like we can't "solve" climate change, it turns out industrialization is just a giant heat engine which is why people like the Amazon guy have these ideas of putting industry into space and leaving the earth free for "home".

Me personally, meh, I think your fucked and you won't make 50 anyhow so go ahead and speed the end process up, outcome is the same

Leeds

But that's about tidying up, to make the place look neater.

"But that's about tidying up, to make the place look neater.

"

Got to start somewhere.

Leeds

Yes, it's good to keep places tidy, but it's not the same as recyling or saving the planet.

Sheffield

"

If you could solve the 1st world problem of using reply+quote button, your posts would be more understandable.....

Leeds

No I hate that. It makes the post too long. I am just replying to the post above and it is so obvious.

Sheffield

"No I hate that. It makes the post too long. I am just replying to the post above and it is so obvious."

Maybe, if you are the next one. Lots of yours have other posts inbetween, can't tell who you are replying to.

"No I hate that. It makes the post too long. I am just replying to the post above and it is so obvious."

You still get 175 posts to a thread..so no point trying to recycle here

"No I hate that. It makes the post too long. I am just replying to the post above and it is so obvious.

Maybe, if you are the next one. Lots of yours have other posts inbetween, can't tell who you are replying to."

You were right...two posts has fucked him

Leeds

No they haven't and it's so obvious which posts I am replying to.

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

"Do you make concerted effort to responsibly reduce , recycle or eliminate your plastic waste ? "

Yes we regularly chuck it over the sea wall...we put it in recycle bins really lol.

Sheffield

Yes we regularly chuck it over the sea wall...we put it in recycle bins really lol. "

If everybody (be it a person, a company or a country) does their bit, then over time things will get better.

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

yes but the problem is alot of countrys do not attempt to recycle, and normal life is just to throw rubbish anywhere, and not to recycle, china for instance, does not recycle anything. one bin all waste, no sorting. will go to be burnt.

artificial grass should be banned - it will spell the end of the world (as well as earthworms) - can't believe the lazy so and so's that install the stuff - rant over

"artificial grass should be banned - it will spell the end of the world (as well as earthworms) - can't believe the lazy so and so's that install the stuff - rant over"

I know....they are often seen hoovering it....just cut the bloody grass

"

Actually, its also about stopping micro plsstic particles getting into the food chain amongst other things

yes - always have done as far as possible - i produce very little household waste

» Add a new message to this topic