FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > fridge freezers :-/

fridge freezers :-/

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The fire that started the fire at the flats was caused by a fridge freezer :-/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

It may have started the blaze but it should never have caused such devastation.

It would be interesting see the fire risk assessments for the block.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I understand the fridge freezer fire was put out but they didn't realise it had spread to the cladding.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It just makes you think about your own home ...

I turn off switches before I go to bed but never the fridge freezer :-/

It frightening to think what can be the initial trigger to a fire :-/

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"The fire that started the fire at the flats was caused by a fridge freezer :-/"

Any electrical item has the potential to cause a fire. It would be interesting to know the age/condition of it as i bet hotpoint are a bit worried right now.

adequate fire breaks and fire safety measures should have contained the fire long enough for fire fighters to attend and deal with it.

for me the cause of the fire is pretty irrelevant in light of the vast failures of the local council and housing associations in charge of the building.

Under the RRO the duty holder is ultimately responsible for ensuring that all measures in place meet the current legal standards

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The fire that started the fire at the flats was caused by a fridge freezer :-/

Any electrical item has the potential to cause a fire. It would be interesting to know the age/condition of it as i bet hotpoint are a bit worried right now.

adequate fire breaks and fire safety measures should have contained the fire long enough for fire fighters to attend and deal with it.

for me the cause of the fire is pretty irrelevant in light of the vast failures of the local council and housing associations in charge of the building.

Under the RRO the duty holder is ultimately responsible for ensuring that all measures in place meet the current legal standards "

true and therein lies the bigger issue of the regs not being updated with the changes in building materials etc..

it may allow those that fitted the cladding and the council to say they were within what is or was deemed acceptable, which will now be changed..

the RRO was a backwards step in taking away the duty from the service and putting the onus on individual's to self certificate they had complied with or even had carried out a fire risk assessment..

sorry state of affairs and one which has been consistently ignored when raised with those responsible for the safety of its citizens for too long..

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Under the RRO the duty holder is ultimately responsible for ensuring that all measures in place meet the current legal standards

true and therein lies the bigger issue of the regs not being updated with the changes in building materials etc..

it may allow those that fitted the cladding and the council to say they were within what is or was deemed acceptable, which will now be changed..

the RRO was a backwards step in taking away the duty from the service and putting the onus on individual's to self certificate they had complied with or even had carried out a fire risk assessment..

sorry state of affairs and one which has been consistently ignored when raised with those responsible for the safety of its citizens for too long.."

i am fairly new to health safety and fire as an industry so it is quite interesting to learn of the changes in 2005 when the RRO came in. tried asking my colleague today but he just seemed to waffle about it!

Of course i would have rather just learn in my own time and not as the result of such tragedy!

I have to do FRA as part of my role using PAS:79 and it certainly focuses the mind. i am not a fire fighter or fire engineer. I have been trained in the process but to provide assurances for the duty holder is certainly a pressured part of my job in light of this event.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

sorry state of affairs and one which has been consistently ignored when raised with those responsible for the safety of its citizens for too long..

i am fairly new to health safety and fire as an industry so it is quite interesting to learn of the changes in 2005 when the RRO came in. tried asking my colleague today but he just seemed to waffle about it!

Of course i would have rather just learn in my own time and not as the result of such tragedy!

I have to do FRA as part of my role using PAS:79 and it certainly focuses the mind. i am not a fire fighter or fire engineer. I have been trained in the process but to provide assurances for the duty holder is certainly a pressured part of my job in light of this event."

It used to be the case that we would be checking such places, testing the outlets and riser, walking the escape routes, access and more but then it gradually lessened as other parts of the role map were deemed more pressing..

i remember one old sweat who was just about to retire saying to the Dep that the RRO was in his experience a step back to the old days when multi fatality fires were not uncommon..

that this has happened and may well be the event that makes the DCLG and Government pat attention is deeply sad and upsetting given it should never have been the case..

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

"The fire that started the fire at the flats was caused by a fridge freezer :-/"

Wos it a beko frige freezer ?

That brand has a record of blowing up in flames

» Add a new message to this topic