FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > the best band of all time music wise.

the best band of all time music wise.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I guess being a more mature hippy its got to be the stones or the who both of which i have seen, then i guess you could say the beatles its mind boggling to pick a great band.

Someone who has inspired you with words like gary barlow or john lennon or james taylor.

Todays bands are very mechanical and money inspired and usually got together just to make money and to be honest i cant think of one band today that i could look back and say in 10 years time ......they were good.

So fabbers......prove me wrong ....who is the best band of the past or present.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Are we talking simply lyrically, or musically as well.

There are some bands out there that have moved me musically, but could not care much for the lyrical content (there is something to be said for records that are sonically pleasing alone)...

I dint know about best because its pretty subjective....

One of the live best bands ive seen live are Big Country at the Mean Fiddler in Harlsden

"Are we talking simply lyrically, or musically as well.

There are some bands out there that have moved me musically, but could not care much for the lyrical content (there is something to be said for records that are sonically pleasing alone)..."

Both lyrically and musically and i am talking bands and not particularly song writers.

Pink Floyd...I still think they were geniuses way ahead of their time

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

Beatles. No other band in history had the pure imagination and talent.

No other band comes close.

McCartney had a genius all of his own and produced fantastic music as part of the Beatles and solo with Wings.

At the end of the day it's all a matter of opinion and taste, but on a technical, historical and statistical sense, the Beatles were the greatest and most successful band of all time.

No history of Britain in the 20th century would be complete without the Beatles featuring somewhere within.

It's a no-brainer for me.

"Pink Floyd...I still think they were geniuses way ahead of their time "

Totally agree with you

Suger ray 1997 bradford rios.....top gig

"Pink Floyd...I still think they were geniuses way ahead of their time

Totally agree with you"

Me too, "Another Brick in the wall" was epic XXX

I was a fan of the group 'Bread' listen to the haunting voice of David Gates singing Guitar man. Beautiful.

There are some bands out there that have moved me musically, but could not care much for the lyrical content (there is something to be said for records that are sonically pleasing alone)...

Both lyrically and musically and i am talking bands and not particularly song writers."

Probably should have read the title properly. This is a tough one really, as all the supposed classics really don't do it for me. If I had a quid for every time I said that I think the Beatles are somewhat overrated, especially in their early days…

That said, they really were before my time.

*Puts flame hat firmly on head*

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Don't think this is one that can ever be called...there are good shouts for the likes of the Beatles or the Stones who broke new ground...even though I don't like them the likes of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin have a place on the list of possibles...likewise Queen...moving in will the likes of The Clash, The Smiths, The Stone Roses and others be looked on as ground breaking in years to come...or what about Muse or U2..

...we all have our favourites and I don't think it will be ever decided who ultimately is 'the best'

Both lyrically and musically and i am talking bands and not particularly song writers.

Probably should have read the title properly. This is a tough one really, as all the supposed classics really don't do it for me. If I had a quid for every time I said that I think the Beatles are somewhat overrated, especially in their early days…

That said, they really were before my time.

"

To me...Imagine was one of the best songs ever written so sad i never had the chance to meet john lennon but would kill just to sit down and chat with him for half an hour and ask questions and i know you would have got honest answers.

Oh yeah pink floyd "see emily play. My fav floyd song

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

It's hard to choose a favourite.

Never really got the oldies, Elvis, MJ,etc.

So over rated in my book.

We tend to like a mixture of most genres from classical to techno and everything in between.

I don't think thats fair about modern bands all being money driven. Are you saying the rolling stones were never money driven?

"Oh yeah pink floyd "see emily play. My fav floyd song "

Pink floyd are my generation and speaking of ....my generation the who pennd the name and what a band they were and still are.

R.I.P keith moon.

"I don't think thats fair about modern bands all being money driven. Are you saying the rolling stones were never money driven? "

All bands are money driven at what ever fame they are maybe not in the beginning but once fame kicks in and the money rolls in.....sometimes i suppose it could get to you like kate bush an avid song writer and performer but sadly now a recluse and seldom does a tour.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Beatles and oasis

"Beatles and oasis "

Oasis.....mad for it

For a combination of good lyrics and musicianship maybe The Band or Steely Dan. The Floyd sort of defined prog rock, but class bands like King Crimson were also around. Mahavisnu Orchestra for jazz/rock/fusion, but there was also Weather Report. So many great bands playing so much different stuff, yet some of my old favourites are lesser known. The thing with the Beatles i think is that people forget the pop dross that we were being fed by the BBC suits radio etc at the time they started. Beatles, Dylan, the Stones and others really did change the musical (and social) landscape of the time. A bit like punk did a few years later. As Stevie Marriott said (Rocking the Fillmore) - Rock On!

For me I think it has to be Nirvana just because of the sheer raw emotion that underpins the music.

"For a combination of good lyrics and musicianship maybe The Band or Steely Dan. The Floyd sort of defined prog rock, but class bands like King Crimson were also around. Mahavisnu Orchestra for jazz/rock/fusion, but there was also Weather Report. So many great bands playing so much different stuff, yet some of my old favourites are lesser known. The thing with the Beatles i think is that people forget the pop dross that we were being fed by the BBC suits radio etc at the time they started. Beatles, Dylan, the Stones and others really did change the musical (and social) landscape of the time. A bit like punk did a few years later. As Stevie Marriott said (Rocking the Fillmore) - Rock On! "

R.I.P....steve marriot the small faces. tin soldier....itchycoo park and many more

By *ibbyhunterCouple  over a year ago

keighley

The small faces and the kinks were underrated bands of the 60's.

"The small faces and the kinks were underrated bands of the 60's."

You really got me was so powerfull by the kinks and the small faces were the top band of my generation and youth.

Best band of the last 25 yrs has to oasis great lyrics,massive rock songs and plenty of classics.....of all time it's the Beatles there's simply no denying that fact

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Got to be Xray-spex for me,lyrics and music...superb.

By *andorasSecretCouple  over a year ago

Nr Birmingham

The Clash actually stood for something meaningful, and, to me, they're the best ever. Other favourites are New Order, Manic Street Preachers and Mr Blobby.

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

rolling stones and they are all still alive and together and playing. amazing live and total spectrum of music written,

no band touches them imo x

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"The Clash actually stood for something meaningful, and, to me, they're the best ever. Other favourites are New Order, Manic Street Preachers and Mr Blobby."

We can't stop laughing, lol

New Order and Manic St, lol

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Gotta be the Beatles for me .

The diversity , from pop , to ballads , to rock ....

A fantastic band who influenced so many .

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Elastica obviously

Little mix and sugarbabes

"rolling stones and they are all still alive and together and playing. amazing live and total spectrum of music written,

no band touches them imo x "

Jagger is so cool when he was young and even to this day an icon.

Queen with Freddie at their peak untouchable

"Queen with Freddie at their peak untouchable"

i like loads of different bands but the beatles were and still are the benchmark for every band out there.no other band comes close weather ppl like it or not

"For me I think it has to be Nirvana just because of the sheer raw emotion that underpins the music."

Yeah man, I was watching some Nirvana videos the other night and was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Musically though, I've been obsessed with Snarky Puppy after seeing them live a few weeks ago. Big crazy fusion jazz band with loads of guest musicians and vocalists, weird rhythms and time signatures and some amazingly complex arrangements.

All their tunes are recorded live and most are filmed and on YouTube. Well worth a watch if anyone has a spare ten mins or so... (they don't write short songs!)

"i like loads of different bands but the beatles were and still are the benchmark for every band out there.no other band comes close weather ppl like it or not"

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"rolling stones and they are all still alive and together and playing. amazing live and total spectrum of music written,

Jagger is so cool when he was young and even to this day an icon."

i would do him

Forgot to add who does it for me.

Has to be Metallica, pre the (Re)Load fiasco.

Most people don't expect that from me!

Jagger is so cool when he was young and even to this day an icon.i would do him "

You naughty girl....xx

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

"Little mix and sugarbabes"

Best wank band lol

"Little mix and sugarbabes

Best wank band lol"

Especially the one with the big hips.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

My favourite band is AC/DC. Still the best live band I have seen. Saw them in my teens and on the Black Ice tour. Considering they have never received much mainstream airplay, AC/DC are one of the top grossing bands (concerts/albums sales) of all time. Specially in the States. Back in Black is one of the best selling albums of all time.

"My favourite band is AC/DC. Still the best live band I have seen. Saw them in my teens and on the Black Ice tour. Considering they have never received much mainstream airplay, AC/DC are one of the top grossing bands (concerts/albums sales) of all time. Specially in the States. Back in Black is one of the best selling albums of all time."

And the lead singer is english a geordie not australian.

By *andorasSecretCouple  over a year ago

Nr Birmingham

"The Clash actually stood for something meaningful, and, to me, they're the best ever. Other favourites are New Order, Manic Street Preachers and Mr Blobby.

New Order and Manic St, lol"

Damn it. I didn't mean new order - I meant joy division! Always get them mixed up. And the manics meant something to me. Their music resonated with my teenage angst-ridden self. Nevermind these geriatric preening "rock stars" but I am a big fan of bob dylan

"The Clash actually stood for something meaningful, and, to me, they're the best ever. Other favourites are New Order, Manic Street Preachers and Mr Blobby.

New Order and Manic St, lol

Damn it. I didn't mean new order - I meant joy division! Always get them mixed up. And the manics meant something to me. Their music resonated with my teenage angst-ridden self. Nevermind these geriatric preening "rock stars" but I am a big fan of bob dylan

"

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Little mix and sugarbabes

Best wank band lol

Especially the one with the big hips."

Jesy Nelson is the screensaver on ma pc

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"My favourite band is AC/DC. Still the best live band I have seen. Saw them in my teens and on the Black Ice tour. Considering they have never received much mainstream airplay, AC/DC are one of the top grossing bands (concerts/albums sales) of all time. Specially in the States. Back in Black is one of the best selling albums of all time."

They are the first band I ever saw at the Queen's Hall, Derby back in '77. I bought Back In Black on its release date in July 80, and the track itself is the only ringtone I've ever had

"My favourite band is AC/DC. Still the best live band I have seen. Saw them in my teens and on the Black Ice tour. Considering they have never received much mainstream airplay, AC/DC are one of the top grossing bands (concerts/albums sales) of all time. Specially in the States. Back in Black is one of the best selling albums of all time.

They are the first band I ever saw at the Queen's Hall, Derby back in '77. I bought Back In Black on its release date in July 80, and the track itself is the only ringtone I've ever had "

By *urchoicenowCouple  over a year ago

Ashford

ELO for me. Simply love them

"ELO for me. Simply love them"

birmingham guys.......the business .

The Wailers, The Clash, The Specials, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, The Prodigy. Those are my bands. Hard to pick a favourite. I really can't be doing with The Beatles. Buju Banton is by far my favourite artist. I can't wait for him to be released.

By *on and TammyCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

The Stooges are my favourites.

There's something so physically primal about their music and it appeals to my base instincts in a way that no other band does. They weren't technically brilliant musicians (james williamson aside) and you wouldn't say Iggy Pop was a poetic lyricist, as effective as he was. They had incredible chemistry though and iggy brilliantly conceptualised the whole thing.

Mr

Babyshambles, much underrated group.

I'm not a music person really but I'm gonna say ABBA...

I care not for music buffs etc

Kraftwerk deserve a mention here

By *on and TammyCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

"Kraftwerk deserve a mention here"

Definitely. One of the few bands that can say they changed popular music.

"Kraftwerk deserve a mention here

Definitely. One of the few bands that can say they changed popular music."

By *iking68Man  over a year ago

glasgow

"I guess being a more mature hippy its got to be the stones or the who both of which i have seen, then i guess you could say the beatles its mind boggling to pick a great band.

Someone who has inspired you with words like gary barlow or john lennon or james taylor.

Todays bands are very mechanical and money inspired and usually got together just to make money and to be honest i cant think of one band today that i could look back and say in 10 years time ......they were good.

So fabbers......prove me wrong ....who is the best band of the past or present.

I try to get to as many gigs as I can as there is no hiding behind a recording studio..inxs..acdc..foos..the cult..muse are some of the best gigs iv been to.... and one that let me down the most was the stone roses...so many great venues here in Glasgow for live music...

"

Bands like the Beachboys and The Dave Clark Five took the standard format in a direction that gave rise to an evolution of many artist of the day ....

By *hilhendersonMan  over a year ago

aberdeen

gong .lovely freaky band (think pink floyd as a jazz band)..ozric tenticals who have the best guitarist in the world

i just found out about a band called "shpongle" great music and a funny name..whats not to like

Older stuff I'd have to say the Beatles and Queen, newer stuff I'd without a doubt say the Kings Of Leon, fantastic musicians and songwriters, properly boss live too, seen them a ton of times live an they always perform fatastically

It's all about personal preference. For me, I've never "got" a band more than Oasis and no one comes close. That's not me saying that The Beatles aren't better, but nothing or no one compares to Oasis for me.

Music's just different now. It's either wannabe gangsters or indie bands coming through and I don't do either.

Actually had some melon try and tell me The Courteeners were bigger than Oasis the other day. I hadn't laughed like that for a while.

Dire Straits or Fleetwood Mac.

By *leshlight121Man  over a year ago

leicestee

The eagles are up there the beegees to and any old motown group

"It's all about personal preference. For me, I've never "got" a band more than Oasis and no one comes close. That's not me saying that The Beatles aren't better, but nothing or no one compares to Oasis for me.

Music's just different now. It's either wannabe gangsters or indie bands coming through and I don't do either.

Actually had some melon try and tell me The Courteeners were bigger than Oasis the other day. I hadn't laughed like that for a while. "

I agree totally. Everyone just 'got' Oasis, the simplicity of the music, the way the choruses stuck in your head. It was so comparable to the Beatles who I was brought up listening to.

For more complex thought provoking stuff I'd have to say Floyd or Metallica.

Both creating music which challenges the senses and takes you somewhere else in your mind.

"It's all about personal preference. For me, I've never "got" a band more than Oasis and no one comes close. That's not me saying that The Beatles aren't better, but nothing or no one compares to Oasis for me.

Actually had some melon try and tell me The Courteeners were bigger than Oasis the other day. I hadn't laughed like that for a while.

I agree totally. Everyone just 'got' Oasis, the simplicity of the music, the way the choruses stuck in your head. It was so comparable to the Beatles who I was brought up listening to.

Both creating music which challenges the senses and takes you somewhere else in your mind.

"

Definitely. I know The Beatles were a big influence on Oasis, which for me is evident whenever I listen to 'em.

Definitely. I know The Beatles were a big influence on Oasis, which for me is evident whenever I listen to 'em. "

One direction. Lmfaooooooo

"One direction. Lmfaooooooo "
Yep....little mix ha ha ha ha ha ha what a joke ?.

» Add a new message to this topic