FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > When do I become a woman?

When do I become a woman?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It's really strange to me when a man (particularly if he's younger than I am) refers to me as a girl. You seem like a 'nice girl'...'naughty girl'.. I want to meet a 'girl like you' I'm 37!

No longer a girl. Fully fledged woman by now surely?! I don't get massively uptight about it. But I have to admit it kinda rubs me the wrong way. I find it a lil disrespectful.

Thing is most men above a certain age (even in their 20's) don't like being referred to as 'boys?! From my experience, they feel it's disrespectful too.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this from both sides...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Wait until they're still doing it when you're 50. I find it patronising to be honest, but I think its more of a verbal tic than an actual conscious decision.

By *appy squirrelWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

I don't feel like a grown up most of the time- i still play pretend so I don't mind, although when someone younger calls me girl... doesn't really happen anymore I fear...

By *rabness92Man  over a year ago

Netherlands

I HATE being called a boy and I'm only 25 so I feel your pain xx

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It's really strange to me when a man (particularly if he's younger than I am) refers to me as a girl. You seem like a 'nice girl'...'naughty girl'.. I want to meet a 'girl like you' I'm 37!

No longer a girl. Fully fledged woman by now surely?! I don't get massively uptight about it. But I have to admit it kinda rubs me the wrong way. I find it a lil disrespectful.

Thing is most men above a certain age (even in their 20's) don't like being referred to as 'boys?! From my experience, they feel it's disrespectful too.

"

Woman is an awkward word, it doesn't flow well, so it doesn't get used much.

Seriously it's nothing to do with meaning it's just language.

But if you really want to look at it the number one source for men referring to women ad girl is....girlfriend.

You'd never say womanfriend.

So it expands, she's my girlfriend, she's my girl, etc etc.

As a man, a young one, 25, being called a boy wouldn't offense or annoy me, but i think it would in a few years.

And you should take it a compliment it means you're looking way younger than you actually are (don't hit me i'm joking!)

But i get your point, but (again, i love butts) i think most men are using the word girl as they could use woman, even tho it's different to me, i get it.

You can tell em that you're a woman and not a girl, i don't think they'll be offended by you telling them that (:

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I feel it's endemic in society. It's still patriarchal regardless of progress.

I don't take offence to the individual male. He's grown up unaware that he's a misogynistic cunt.........

Oh ffs.... I was trying to be nice too.

"It's really strange to me when a man (particularly if he's younger than I am) refers to me as a girl. You seem like a 'nice girl'...'naughty girl'.. I want to meet a 'girl like you' I'm 37!

"

its all about the context and delivery I suppose...

how many women say "out with the women tonight"?...

But if you really want to look at it the number one source for men referring to women ad girl is....girlfriend.

"

I love the word woman, I would refer to another as my partner.

"Thing is most men above a certain age (even in their 20's) don't like being referred to as 'boys?! From my experience, they feel it's disrespectful too."

Yet in most "macho" environments, factories, sites, army etc "lad" is usually the word used to describe men regardless of age "the lads on the shop floor, "the lad who does the tiles, the lads from easy company" etc (gotta get a BoB reference in :p)

But men/man flows better than woman so it was less of an issue.

I love the word woman, I would refer to another as my partner."

Cool, sounds clunky though

If a guy says "oh my partner will be joining us for drinks later" I'm usually expecting his boyfriend tbh

King's Crustacean

Most of them say it without thought.

They will attempt to tell you that you are uptight and that it's just a term of endearment.

I don't blame them for failing to understand.

It takes many decades for both men and women to realise just how powerful language is.

It's a subtle way of keeping you subservient and dependent and to be fair a lot of women like it. Without realising how conditioned they are.

""Thing is most men above a certain age (even in their 20's) don't like being referred to as 'boys?! From my experience, they feel it's disrespectful too."

Yet in most "macho" environments, factories, sites, army etc "lad" is usually the word used to describe men regardless of age "the lads on the shop floor, "the lad who does the tiles, the lads from easy company" etc (gotta get a BoB reference in :p)

"

Serenity AND Band of Brothers? We have our watching habits in common.

To respond to your point, living in Yorkshire, I don't find being called a lass half as annoying as being called a girl.

maybe its just a way of expressing a compliment..

the word women may sound awkward or old to some

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"

To be honest Life's to short for me to worry about such trivial things

I go to football with "the boys" sometimes "the lads"

If a girl/woman wants me to be a "naughty boy" who am I to take offence

King's Crustacean

its all about the context and delivery I suppose...

how many women say "out with the women tonight"?..."

Dunno. Women are conditioned into using or are thoughtlessly casual about what they say too.

I never say im out with the 'girls' My guts would churn.

I'll always be a girl, woman sounds far too serious and mature.

Getting older is compulsory, growing up is optional!

"Most of them say it without thought.

They will attempt to tell you that you are uptight and that it's just a term of endearment.

It takes many decades for both men and women to realise just how powerful language is.

It's a subtle way of keeping you subservient and dependent and to be fair a lot of women like it. Without realising how conditioned they are."

Nah woman just sounds retarded in most sentences, very clunky.

Womanfriend, out with the women, hey women let's go get a drink.

If you really want to explore infantalising then why the heck do both men and women describe thier partners as baby. That's a weird one.

King's Crustacean

"maybe its just a way of expressing a compliment..

the word women may sound awkward or old to some"

Why is it a compliment to call a grown woman a girl ?

Im interested.

It's one of my pet hates I'm 49 not been a girl for way too many years

"how many women say "out with the women tonight"?..."

I say 'out with my mates', like you probably do.

""Thing is most men above a certain age (even in their 20's) don't like being referred to as 'boys?! From my experience, they feel it's disrespectful too."

Serenity AND Band of Brothers? We have our watching habits in common.

To respond to your point, living in Yorkshire, I don't find being called a lass half as annoying as being called a girl."

Aye true lass works well in a Yorkshire accent.

Posh southern dude saying lass though sounds absolutely hilarious if you know any get them to send you a voice clip of them using it in a sentence.

It comes across as either hugely sarcastic or pitifully trying lol

King's Crustacean

It's a subtle way of keeping you subservient and dependent and to be fair a lot of women like it. Without realising how conditioned they are.

If you really want to explore infantalising then why the heck do both men and women describe thier partners as baby. That's a weird one.

"

I can't buy the soundbite argument. It's clunky beyond clunkiness.

I don't know why so many people use the term baby..... horrible.

Solihull

I've often heard women in the office talk about arranging a "girls" night out rather than we must have a "woman's" night out ?

King's Crustacean

give me a sentence with woman in it so I can hear it clunk

I don't know why so many people use the term baby..... horrible. "

Use only woman/women to refer to anyone of the female gender for a week.

Bet you study le more than a few times and get some weird looks.

King's Crustacean

"I've often heard women in the office talk about arranging a "girls" night out rather than we must have a "woman's" night out ?"

YES. It's endemic. When someone uses a term about their own gender it doesn't mean it's okay.

Does it Mummy's little cumslut ?

Solihull

Maybe we need to follow the Aussies and refer to all members of the opposite sex as "Sheila's"

"Wait until they're still doing it when you're 50. I find it patronising to be honest, but I think its more of a verbal tic than an actual conscious decision."

I think that's the word I was looking for! I agree, I know every guy doesn't mean it in some contrived way to demean me... and it's just custom. As you say.. a verbal tic

King's Crustacean

Bet you study le more than a few times and get some weird looks."

I do use the word woman.

What else would I use ?

If you were reporting a crime against me..... would you say .... ' I saw the girl standing by the bus stop'

King's Crustacean

"Maybe we need to follow the Aussies and refer to all members of the opposite sex as "Sheila's" "

Maybe you have something there Bruce.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I'm not offended by it. I'm not sure I even notice it. It's just a word to me and as long as they're not being rude, I'm ok with it.

"I feel it's endemic in society. It's still patriarchal regardless of progress.

I don't take offence to the individual male. He's grown up unaware that he's a misogynistic cunt.........

Oh ffs.... I was trying to be nice too. "

You are definitely all woman OP and a magnificent one at that, if you don't mind me saying so

well you look all woman to me -

"give me a sentence with woman in it so I can hear it clunk "

I'm going out with my womanfriend.

The women and I are going to go to the cinema.

Hey you know that woman, Kate, you where seeing?

Read them out loud it seems "off".

It's the "wo" syllable.

But I do have dyslexia mainly affecting my audio processing so I tend to notice shit like this more as it makes it hard for me to understand what people say at times if it's out side the norm.

So to me woman is very strange because I don't hear it much and while I focus on hearing woman in that context I usually miss the next 3 worda

Solihull

"I've often heard women in the office talk about arranging a "girls" night out rather than we must have a "woman's" night out ?

YES. It's endemic. When someone uses a term about their own gender it doesn't mean it's okay.

Does it Mummy's little cumslut ?"

That's ridiculous, of course it's ok if a group of women arrange a girls night out and want to use the term girl.

By *eral SexMan  over a year ago

Port Talbot

I think infantilising terms like girl and boy are used for adults because of our particular point in history. Only a few decades ago becoming a man or woman was tied up with the cultural monolith of Christian marriage; one became a man or woman when flirting, courting, having fun with your friends all stopped and crushingly joyless adult responsibilities began.

But this pattern fell apart and feminism has quite rightly objected to the use of child appropriate epithets for adult women. But, we still resort to them when we want a night out with the lads/girls or when looking to 'play', etc. Its a reflex from an earlier sexual culture.....

I know this point is very broad and full of holes... and I promise I'm not from Sydney University...

Solihull

"Maybe we need to follow the Aussies and refer to all members of the opposite sex as "Sheila's"

Maybe you have something there Bruce."

G"day Sheila

I do use the word woman.

What else would I use ?

If you were reporting a crime against me..... would you say .... ' I saw the girl standing by the bus stop' "

If you where the bus driver I'd say woman if you where the passenger probably girl.

No idea why.

I think that's from the phrase "the woman behind the counter/till/desk" line though

My husband still calls me his girl; I am 46!

Those who find it offensive can rip that man to shreds and gloat, if that is what floats their boat. I however, find nothing offensive about it

- Mrs. J -

"how many women say "out with the women tonight"?...

I say 'out with my mates', like you probably do."

I say friends

King's Crustacean

"I've often heard women in the office talk about arranging a "girls" night out rather than we must have a "woman's" night out ?

That's ridiculous, of course it's ok if a group of women arrange a girls night out and want to use the term girl.

"

Sam. I know. I wouldn't comment if a group of women said they were going out with the girls.

You're missing the point or I am not making it well.

The phrase ' the girls' is used widely.

The fault lies in never questioning why it's okay.

Can I say Im going out with the 'girls' at my age?

Can I say it in 20 years time?

Would you go into a nursing/care home to visit the 'girls' that live there ?

King's Crustacean

"how many women say "out with the women tonight"?...

I say 'out with my mates', like you probably do.

I say friends "

I say Bon Ami ......

Then why do women say "let's go for a girls night out" no a "women's night out?" I say we should all go to my native roots and say "Sheila"

King's Crustacean

I do use the word woman.

What else would I use ?

If you were reporting a crime against me..... would you say .... ' I saw the girl standing by the bus stop'

If you where the bus driver I'd say woman if you where the passenger probably girl.

No idea why.

I think that's from the phrase "the woman behind the counter/till/desk" line though"

Im sixty fucking two ? The 'girl' on the bus ? C'mon. Please.

Sam. I know. I wouldn't comment if a group of women said they were going out with the girls.

"

.the 60 year olds at work still refer to each other as "the lads" ?

Maybe as men haven't ever had the societal pressure on them like women of the past did there's no hard feelings/upset about boy/lad.

"My boy" being quite the term of enderment rtc

King's Crustacean

See if I called a bloke ... My boy ..... it's usually in a ' you've overstepped the mark tone.. even if it's a good friend who will shake it off...

on here words that annoy me for women are milf,cougar,hotwife

King's Crustacean

Right. This girly whirly has to get her fat arse into gear and go and do some mens work.

Bye boys and girls.

"See if I called a bloke ... My boy ..... it's usually in a ' you've overstepped the mark tone.. even if it's a good friend who will shake it off... "

Here's one for you a man says

"Baby, You're my woman"

What physical aperance does the guy have in your minds eye, without over thinking just the first thing.

(Bit of a side track I know but it came from a whatsapp group chat and I'm curious if this is a tv nerd thing or everyone does it)

Solihull

"

All I'll say is do what ever you're happy with, if you want to be referred to as granny, girl, woman, lady, princess etc that's your choice

As for Myself I hope to be going to football matches with "the boys" until my dying day.

Ps with everything negative happening in the world I'm not going to lose sleep over a difference of opinion over words

If a guy says "oh my partner will be joining us for drinks later" I'm usually expecting his boyfriend tbh

Cuz ur a dick"

O.o

I'm a dick for thinking partner usually refers to same sex couples?

I prefer you hot minx op it implies more x

Respect is the issue here it's better to find out a person's hates before getting so personal

"

"

"

I dunno, "going to see the girls down golden oak hills, and see how thier knitting circle is going" kinda works.

But I'd probably use ladies. But that has even more issues now as ladies implies a certain standard of behaviour/demenour and gets you yelled at.

I think from now on I may just go with "hey you" for everyone till I know thier name

I like lady, I like Miss.., if it's on here for a first message, I think.. why not just say 'hi Mix' or 'mixchick' it's my name until I give you the real one...

All the 'girl' and 'baby' seems a lil over familiar for some guy I haven't even met yet.

I try to be very respectful of men, regardless of age. Because I think it's the right thing to do. Just want the same.

Perhaps I'm a little old school.

By *wistedTooCouple  over a year ago

Frimley

I like it

"

I dunno, "going to see the girls down golden oak hills, and see how thier knitting circle is going" kinda works.

But I'd probably use ladies. But that has even more issues now as ladies implies a certain standard of behaviour/demenour and gets you yelled at.

I think from now on I may just go with "hey you" for everyone till I know thier name"

don't like 'hey you' much either. Maybe just 'hey!, hi, hello!... with no added bits?!

"I like lady, I like Miss.., if it's on here for a first message, I think.. why not just say 'hi Mix' or 'mixchick' it's my name until I give you the real one...

All the 'girl' and 'baby' seems a lil over familiar for some guy I haven't even met yet.

I try to be very respectful of men, regardless of age. Because I think it's the right thing to do. Just want the same.

Perhaps I'm a little old school. "

nothing wrong with old school manners miss mix x

By *wistedTooCouple  over a year ago

Frimley

Cuz ur a dick"

You can leave the forum if you’re going to write posts directly attacking another poster. You don’t agree, fine, but I don’t like your tone, so please stop writing that way. I’m reporting your post.

I refer to myself as a girl. Woman feels too old for me and im certainly not a lady!

I think it depends on the delivery if its said by someone else. If its in a fun way id go along with it, if it's implying im in some way naive or a "young girl" then id be offended.

Context makes a difference.

I'll go for lunch with the girls,the waiter will ask 'and what can I get for you ladies?' and we will discuss 'womens issues'.

So,we are girls,ladies and women all in the same breath.

I sometimes get messages on here from young men (it would seem disrespectful to call them boys) saying they would like to get together with an older woman.If they were to refer to an 'old lady',it would just seem weird and if they were looking for a girl,I'd wish them luck with their search.

Girl,lady or woman,,,I really don't mind,it's the 'older' bit that I could do without sometimes.

"Context makes a difference.

I'll go for lunch with the girls,the waiter will ask 'and what can I get for you ladies?' and we will discuss 'womens issues'.

So,we are girls,ladies and women all in the same breath.

I sometimes get messages on here from young men (it would seem disrespectful to call them boys) saying they would like to get together with an older woman.If they were to refer to an 'old lady',it would just seem weird and if they were looking for a girl,I'd wish them luck with their search.

Girl,lady or woman,,,I really don't mind,it's the 'older' bit that I could do without sometimes."

- Mrs. J -

It boils down to manners and how well you k ow the person you are addressing if it's a stranger then you should address them as sir madam miss etc or they're user name

Cuz ur a dick

You can leave the forum if you’re going to write posts directly attacking another poster. You don’t agree, fine, but I don’t like your tone, so please stop writing that way. I’m reporting your post."

I did too

- Mrs. J -

» Add a new message to this topic