FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fathers What was yours like ?

Fathers What was yours like ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

On days like today I really miss him. I only had him in my life until I was 13, but he left a lasting impression on me. He was gentle and compassionate. Forever rescuing injured animals. He was my hero. I was lucky to have him for the short time I did.

Sarah xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My dad is a pain in the arse some times but at the end of the day he's my pain in the arse and I love him xx

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

I have never seen or nown my dad.

Not gonna lie, I always forget what date fathers day is because my own was an arsehole and didn't care about me. Don't love him, don't hate him. Literally means nothing to me like.

But now I'm a father myself, growing up without a dad has definitely inspired me to be best dad I can be to my little handsome dude. Love parenthood!

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple  over a year ago

nr chester

My dad was the funniest, kindest man, people used to always tell me how much they loved him, he was a true gentleman, I lost him a year and a half ago to cancer, sadly though he had early onset dementia for 15 years before that, he was a shadow of himself when he died, he still made me smile though, right till the very end Mrs blue eyesxxx

Incredibly hard working, strong, loves a challenge, creative, slightly funny, slightly mad and slightly old but love him to bits. We had a rocky time in my teens with him working around Europe a lot and him having extremely short and violent temper when he was home, my parents splitting up caused me to go and rebel. But we are past that now and I work with him every day and I love it

I've just got my dad back, rarely saw him as a child and when I did I didn't like him, then we were estranged for 20 years. Found him again last year, he's making a massive effort to be a better grandad than he was a dad and now I'm old enough to call him on it when he starts to revert to old habits.

It's all a bit awkward though still

I'm lucky enough to have the most amazing dad. I'm a proper daddy's girl and I see a lot of his traits in myself. He taught me to be a good person and if he wasn't in Cyprus I'd take him for a pint today!

He's an alcoholic.

Sexist.

Racist.

Homophobic.

Lazy.

Self centred.

Aggressive.

Was violent before he became old and decrepit.

Lives in the detached annexe halfway up my garden with views over my orchard, where my wife and I look after his every need with the help of a couple of private carers.

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

"He's an alcoholic.

Sexist.

Racist.

Homophobic.

Lazy.

Self centred.

Aggressive.

Lives in the detached annexe halfway up my garden with views over my orchard, where my wife and I look after his every need with the help of a couple of private carers. "

You are just amazing xx

I think I called my father 'dad' when I was a child. I no longer do. Parents can sometimes walk away and ignore there children. I dont look for sympathy from anyone about this. But asshole is more appropriate to the way to describe him. My relationship is as if I knew someone once

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

My dad is 89 got himself a lady friend great guy. I don't see him as often as I should so I'm a bad son

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"He's an alcoholic.

Sexist.

Racist.

Homophobic.

Lazy.

Self centred.

Aggressive.

Lives in the detached annexe halfway up my garden with views over my orchard, where my wife and I look after his every need with the help of a couple of private carers. "

Your a bigger errr person than me I've no idea if mine's still drawing breath or not and frankly couldn't care less ether way. He was an animal and my so called mother was just as bad. She is dead now and hopefully rotting in hell. Harsh words I know but more than justified. They both did my 1 favour though they shown me how not to bring up my own kids....

Manchester

"I think I called my father 'dad' when I was a child. I no longer do. Parents can sometimes walk away and ignore there children. I dont look for sympathy from anyone about this. But asshole is more appropriate to the way to describe him. My relationship is as if I knew someone once"

I feel you pal

Happy Fathers days to all you wonderful Dads

I haven't spoken to my Dad in nearly 30 years

He was Violent in the extreme. I envy people with amazing Dads xx

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

Mine was an arsehole. Emotionally and physically abusive yet now he can barely do anything for himself.

You reap what you sow huh?

My step dad on the other hand is amazing.

"He's an alcoholic.

Sexist.

Racist.

Homophobic.

Lazy.

Self centred.

Aggressive.

Lives in the detached annexe halfway up my garden with views over my orchard, where my wife and I look after his every need with the help of a couple of private carers.

Your a bigger errr person than me I've no idea if mine's still drawing breath or not and frankly couldn't care less ether way. He was an animal and my so called mother was just as bad. She is dead now and hopefully rotting in hell. Harsh words I know but more than justified. They both did my 1 favour though they shown me how not to bring up my own kids...."

Aw. We've discussed this before. Xx

On the flip; I've brought up 4 kids. It made me want to be the best parent ever.

Manchester

"He's an alcoholic.

Sexist.

Racist.

Homophobic.

Lazy.

Self centred.

Aggressive.

Your a bigger errr person than me I've no idea if mine's still drawing breath or not and frankly couldn't care less ether way. He was an animal and my so called mother was just as bad. She is dead now and hopefully rotting in hell. Harsh words I know but more than justified. They both did my 1 favour though they shown me how not to bring up my own kids....

Aw. We've discussed this before. Xx

On the flip; I've brought up 4 kids. It made me want to be the best parent ever. "

Yes your right we have I'd forgotten sorry

He was a difficult man, very intelligent but because he expected better of himself he didn't do his intelligence justice. He was not a loving man I can't ever remember being told he loved me, or was proud of me. He had very high expectations of me, and I constantly felt as though I was a permanent let down to him. But at the same time he was always helpful. He was a Scrooge and a bit of a victor meldrew character at the end. His one saving grace was despite not truly understanding my sons disabilities he was a great grandad to them and they loved him lots. He made me want to be the mom I am with my kids as I never want anyone to feel how I did growing up. X

By *hatterbox 2Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

My dad was the most loving caring generous person i knew x not a day goes by i dont think of him

By *rowleyMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Emotionally detached and an alcoholic.

He only calls me when he wants me to fix his computer or something else.

By *wo-GoodCouple  over a year ago

South London

In and out of my life, periods of not seeing him for years. Too.little too late now, so even though he's not a bad man, I really haven't got the time or the energy to bother with him. Now Tom is a fantastic father so at least I know what a great dad should be like. Jerry.x

My dad was a lovely, kind and caring man. He could turn his hand to anything and helped me and the rest of the family whenever they needed it. He was a quiet, compassionate man who never said a bad thing about anyone. He died nearly 20 years ago in great pain and much to young. I still miss him so much!!

Mine inspired me to be everything he wasn't

Honest

Hardworking

Reliable

Selfless

But he did the best he could. Got to thank him for that.

Manchester

"My dad was a lovely, kind and caring man. He could turn his hand to anything and helped me and the rest of the family whenever they needed it. He was a quiet, compassionate man who never said a bad thing about anyone. He died nearly 20 years ago in great pain and much to young. I still miss him so much!!"

Awww big hugs sweet x

My dad is my hero. He is a nice bloke, has a ridiculously puerile sense of humour, can't cook at all and for the last two years has astonished me daily by how strong he can be when dealt a really shitty hand.

Mine taught me loads, took me to many places, has always helped me whenever I was in a sticky situation. I look forward to giving him a big hug and buying him a beer this afternoon

Didn't have a dad, he fked off and left our mother with 4 kids to bring up on her own. XXX

By *s_macWoman  over a year ago

Traffic land

We didn't always have the best relationship, very much had its ups and downs, but the fact he loved me was never in doubt.

My Dad was incredibly stubborn, had the strongest work ethic, the darkest sense of humour and gave the best hugs. What I'd give to have another one

I'd be lost without my father. I see him every day, we go to the rugby together and he is the best grandfather I could ever wish for for my kids

Having lost my dad when I was 6 yrs old you sometimes don't miss what you never had. I remember certain things about him which I cherish! I have the most wonderful father in law that has been more of a dad to me, and my hubby who has been an amazing dad to our two children! Cherish the times with your dad if you can if he is still here

Her X

Couldn't tell you about mine (mr). Parents divorced when i was 7, he told me never to contact him again when i was 15 as he was remarried and didn't want his wife to know about me. Apparrently he died in 2009, such is life

I haven't seen mine in 20 years

He was a wife beater, a serial adulterer and when he left my mum never paid a penny in maintenance for his children. The saying "any man can be a father but it takes a real man to be a dad" rings true for me, my stepfather took us on and I'm proud to call him my dad . He's always been there and so have my step grandparents. Families are funny things.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

He was my best friend, my mentor, my advice giver.

An asshole at times but ain't we all.

He taught me to stand on my own two feet and be independent.

Just wish he was still around to see his grandchildren,

And great grandchildren.

not seen either of my parents for over 30 years -- shit happens

A vile selfish controlling bully. His main weapons being psychological but using violence just often enough so that you know he could follow through the threats.

10 years since I've seen him and wish I'd cut him out years before

He sounds like a lovely guy. Sorry you lost him so early.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Dad is great and enjoying retirement with Mum. Seeing them later for a meal in town and then walk along the pier. My brothers and their families are also joining us.

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Have lots of happy memories of my dad when i was younger but not much since i left home. Will be going to see him later lucky to still have him around

He will probably give me his yearly phone call today and expect me to praise him for being the worst dad ever. I will ignore it again this year as he still isn't worthy of being my dad.

Luckily I have a mum that can do both jobs amazingly well.

By *atrionaSavageWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

I'm lucky as my dad is alive and well. He's always been there for me even when he doesn't understand me or what I might be going through. He's always worked hard, loved unconditionally and punished when it's been deserved.

I'd be lost without him.

My heart goes out to all who have lost good dads and to those who have never experienced one too.

Cat x

My dad was a teenager when I arrived. His marriage to my mum didn't last and she moved us hundreds of miles away. 30 odd years later I can still say I spoke to him every day, had amazing summer holidays and he dotes on my little girl. He has his flaws but I know I can always depend on him.

I am fortunate to still have my Dad around. He turns 70 later this year and is one of my best friends

By * e coupleCouple  over a year ago

northeast

Anyone who still have parents alive are lucky mine died way back now. Miss them both . Make the most of them .while you can

Lost my dad in 98. He was the best man I ever knew. My hero.

He was extremely hard working, smart, never complained, everything he did (including building our house) was for his family. A wonderful man who was highly regarded in our neighbourhood.

Miss him every day.

My dad? A complex man. And I'm slow turning into him

Stubborn, always thinks he's right & loves giving lectures.

But also very loving, supportive, hilarious & all round top bloke in other words 'our hero'

A true daddies girl here , he's simply the best father a child could ever ask for . He spent many years in the army Ispent months without him and he now lives in Cyprus and I wish my own children knew him better x

He's very strong keeps fit , brilliant sense of humour a true great man . His hearing drives me mad lol but after reading this thread I realise how truly lucky I am to have a truly remarkable father .

So cheers to my father for showing me what a father should be xxxxxxx

A violent bully of a man with an amazing tenor voice

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

My father and mother were devoted to each other and brought up my brother and me in a balanced way. Mum was the disciplinarian, Dad didn't raise his voice - it took a lot to rile him, but instead it only took a look from him to know we'd done something wrong

Mum died in 1980; he carried on as normal and survived in life so well. After retirement, he took up Ballroom dancing, not just as a social factor but as a Teacher, trained to World Professional standards. That made him popular with the widowed ladies in his part of the UK, who's book him up to 6 months in advance as a dance partner for Balls, Dinner Dances and so on. My brother and I bought him an Answering Machine so we could keep in touch as he was always out.

He died in 2005. Over 500 people, almost all of his female dancing partners, attended his funeral.

Yes, he was curmudgeonly at times, making Victor Meldrew appear as an absolute novice in comparison! He was stubborn, set in his ways, but always had a glint in his eyes for the ladies!

But he was also a true Gentleman, in the traditional sense. He was fiercely independent too, didn't like people fussing over him which unfortunately hastened towards his passing.

I wish he was still around, simple as that!

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

My dad was a complex man, he kept himself to himself. He gave me everything I wanted as a child but rarely hugged me, I don't remember him telling me he loved me in fact. That makes me sad.

He worked hard, drank hard and he had his demons to fight, I don't think he had a great childhood being 1 of 7.

He couldn't handle life after my mum died and unfortunately ended his own just as I was about to get married.

I miss him terribly even more so now I have my own kids.

By *ucilleWoman  over a year ago

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Strong hardworking and my hero xx

By *hunderstruckMan  over a year ago

Northampton

Mum said it was "Some soldiers "

By *ondon-guy68Man  over a year ago

London

Nonexistent

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Distant aloof. Hates my career choice and is currently having lunch with my brother not thinking to invite me due to splitting with my partner.

He's "making" time to see me later when I will drop his card over and spend an allotted hour with him.

He's a cold man with not much love in him but he's an awesome Grandad to his new partners children. His Dad was the same not much love for him but the best Grandad in the world.

I don't blame him for who he is.

I lost my dad when I was 19

He wasn't really a big part of my life - I never really knew him.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I still have my dad around,wish he was more local

Onestepoutofthedoor

Reading some of these comments is heartbreaking and make's me appreciate mine mowrw than I do already.

Apparently the last time I saw my dad I was 3 (I have no memory of it) and no contact since . Day to day it doesn't bother me but Father's Day does make me a little sad . Probably combined with the fact I'm single so it's not like I have my own 'family' to distract me

Hope all you guys with the great dads have a fab day x

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Last saw mine when I was 18, I have hopefully been a better father to my children.

I would say today may play on peoples minds. I dont think about my father but when i do i remember the beatings whether with a belt, shoe or his hands. Happy fathers day not.

The good thing though is ive a great father son relationship with my son whose grown up. Were like mates.

I dont need a card or hear the word happy fathers day to know were close.

Manchester

This thread is extremely sad heart worming and making me see mine wasn't that different to many on here all at the same time. Most of it I just don't get I'd move the heavens for ether of my kids and I love being a dad. It something I've found so natrol despite my own dad

Manchester

"I would say today may play on peoples minds. I dont think about my father but when i do i remember the beatings whether with a belt, shoe or his hands. Happy fathers day not.

The good thing though is ive a great father son relationship with my son whose grown up. Were like mates.

I dont need a card or hear the word happy fathers day to know were close.

"

I hear ya bud

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"This thread is extremely sad heart worming and making me see mine wasn't that different to many on here all at the same time. Most of it I just don't get I'd move the heavens for ether of my kids and I love being a dad. It something I've found so natrol despite my own dad "

And that's the measure of the person you are Bladey. Xx

Whats a father?

By *ndecidedMan  over a year ago

London

Lost him 27 years ago, still remember the last time I saw his face, and his voice

Manchester

"This thread is extremely sad heart worming and making me see mine wasn't that different to many on here all at the same time. Most of it I just don't get I'd move the heavens for ether of my kids and I love being a dad. It something I've found so natrol despite my own dad

And that's the measure of the person you are Bladey. Xx "

Stop it I'll tear up in a minute and I've my rep to think of

By *addys_Little_PrincessWoman  over a year ago

London

My biological father is a massive asshole...

My daddy on the other hand....

My dad was stubborn right til the end but did worry about me at times. Wouldn't replace him at all but it hits home on fathers day that he isn't here. On that note I'm disappearing off

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Hubby says

Don't know, never met him!

Mines a recluse now but hanging on in there.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I am so lucky to have my lovely Dad still, he is 87 and we have just spent a couple of hours together, in town. Sorry to those who have lost their Dads, having lost my dear Mum last year, know what this feels like. I treasure him everyday.

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

[Removed by poster at 18/06/17 15:20:02]

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

He was a kind and gentle giant who was my hero. It took me a while to realise it though.

He was the life and soul of any party and a self confessed "d*unken nutter and black sheep of his family". However he would do anything for anyone and had a heart of gold.

He wasn't the gushy type or even particularly affectionate but he was the only other person in the world I've ever been able to rely on.

I lost him in 2011 to alcoholic liver disease. He was only 52. I miss him every day.

Funny story.. he hated my ex husband, a few days before he died we were chatting and he told me that even ill he would have happily had a go and knocked him out. Shortly after this my ex went for the snip. It went painfully wrong.. twice! I am sure my dad saw a chance and took it!

chelmsford

"He was a kind and gentle giant who was my hero. It took me a while to realise it though.

He was the life and soul of any party and a self confessed "d*unken nutter and black sheep of his family". However he would do anything for anyone and had a heart of gold.

He wasn't the gushy type or even particularly affectionate but he was the only other person in the world I've ever been able to rely on.

I lost him in 2011 to alcoholic liver disease. He was only 52. I miss him every day.

Funny story.. he hated my ex husband, a few days before he died we were chatting and he told me that even ill he would have happily had a go and knocked him out. Shortly after this my ex went for the snip. It went painfully wrong.. twice! I am sure my dad saw a chance and took it!"

Aah, nice story.

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I lost my dad in 2011. I grieved for the dad that he wasn't. He was cruel, sadistic, uncaring. It took me a long time to sort my head out after losing him, then my mum got ill with demetia, I along with my brother and carers looked after her until her death last year. It was harder for me losing my mum even though she wasn't very caring before she got ill.

chelmsford

"I lost my dad in 2011. I grieved for the dad that he wasn't. He was cruel, sadistic, uncaring. It took me a long time to sort my head out after losing him, then my mum got ill with demetia, I along with my brother and carers looked after her until her death last year. It was harder for me losing my mum even though she wasn't very caring before she got ill.

"

Aah, so sorry to hear that, hugs...

By *mokes n MirrorsCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth and Newcastle (sometimes)

I was 6 years old and sat behind my dad in the car when he died of a heart attack. He wasn't driving though, the woman who gave birth to me was. Guess that statement speaks volumes and not seen her or my siblings (their lives seemed somewhat different to mine after his death) for over 30 years. P's dad is a bit of a racist homophobe but fortunately I don't have to see much of him. There's very little in life that's ever made me envious of others but having a loving and supportive family is one of them.

[Removed by poster at 18/06/17 15:49:58]

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

No idea, he left

A violent alcoholic who I never saw again after my mum left him when I was 18 months old. My step dad will never be a father figure as he's done some despicable things to me.

I rather hate Father's Day.

Onestepoutofthedoor

It seems so many of you had rather shitty dad's

My dad was awesome. He was a working class guy who never went to college but who had real intelligence. He believed in the power of the political process. He also taught me to value hard work. He was also the quintessential New Yorker (including a ridiculously cartoonish accent).

I don't really think about him too much on father's day because it wasn't really a holiday he cared about, but I'll give him a toast when I have a drink later tonight.

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

"It seems so many of you had rather shitty dad's "

I've never even seen mine

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

My dad is a a pain in the arse at times. He's stubborn, argumentative, he doesn't look after himself. Especially since mum died but I wouldn't change him for the world.

I was always a daddies girl as a child but as I got older we'd clash I'm very much his daughter.

Cunt.

"Cunt."

Sorry. I tried my best

Manchester

"It seems so many of you had rather shitty dad's "

Some mum's where just as rotten it's far from just a dad thing

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

"My dad is 89 got himself a lady friend great guy. I don't see him as often as I should so I'm a bad son"
also forgot to mention I'm a lousy father

Onestepoutofthedoor

"It seems so many of you had rather shitty dad's

Some mum's where just as rotten it's far from just a dad thing"

I'm not saying it is,it's just this thread is about dad's

By *arehamMan  over a year ago

handforth

Very funny

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

By the sounds of most on here most dads are selfish arrogant losers.

Marks just said he's glad he has never met his now, lol

Mind you he did nearly batter my step dad a few years back whilst we were away on holiday together.

My step dad got d*unk and started so Mark made sure he put him in his place.

Strangely, he never came back for more

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

My dad is fantastic.

He is everything you could possibly want in a father.

My sister and I are incredibly lucky.

Nita

I am very fortunate that my dad is simply wonderful. My absolute rock.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

My dad was a disciplinarian.

Used to get whipped by him when I skip school when I was 7 yrs old, and then he send me back to school after the whipping !!

I'm so glad for that and I remember it always.

Love him so much and may he rest in peace.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My Dad was a fun guy, although he did nothing to prevent the physical abuse handed out by my Mum. He's caused us all a varying amount of heartache over the years, but he's OK.

My dad is amazing although he does piss me of sometimes but still amazing same goes for my mum aswell love them both

» Add a new message to this topic