FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mini referendum on Europe

Mini referendum on Europe

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After all the stuff going on do you think we should stop as we are, back out of Europe or embrace it fully, ditch the pound and adopt the euro?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's not as simple as that. We're ensconced within Europe so deeply that to reverse out of it would cost us £billions. Our biggest trade partner is the Eurozone and you can rest assured that Europhiles wouldn't hesitate to restrict trade with the UK from Europe if we pulled out.

Even if we did, we're members of the IMF so how could we stop any money we pay to that body being used to assist Europe?

We need to remain in the EU, but before we ever consider any form of monetary union the Eurozone has to eradicate the corruption that is inherent within it.

And yes, a referendum must be a prerequisite before going in. One where the result stands, not one where the result doesn't stand until we say yes.

I don't know.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Adopt the Euro ? No way.

Embrace it fully? No way.

The EU requires substantial reform.

The politico's will stop at nothing to have a Federal Europe in all but name. IIRC France, Netherlands,Ireland have all voted No for a more united Europe. Democracy in action you would have thought? Non.

But it's not all bad. There has been a substantial number of consumer driven rulings which benefit people a lot eg mobile roaming charges, distance selling regs.

And interestingly, with BT and Phorm ( ie spying on your internet ) Europe ruled that BT acted illegally and told the Government to deal with it.

Actually distance selling regulations bit me in the arse recently.

I was trying to open a sterling account in Ireland, but I would have had to fly over in person, they couldn't open it if I was in the UK.

Well i don't see it doing us any good at the moment having to give money to other countries like Greece so i would say pull out.

What does it matter what I think.. they never listen anyway..

but I would object strongly to losing the pound and think we should never have gone into the EU in the first place.

Katie.x

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think we should stay in right now. That's not to say that we will always be in, but it does seem the right thing.

This is especially the case as our financial stability is on a very weak footing, and we get enormous income from Europe.

On a good note, the EU has today announced that mobile phone data and other roaming charges will be significantly reduced, so those of us who travel will continue to see the costs of using mobile phones abroad drop. This could eventually see the costs as equivalent to making use at home.

[Removed by poster at 06/07/11 16:14:23]

Britain can no more withdraw from the European Union than Cornwall can withdraw from the UK .It is simply not viable in the twenty first century for both economic and political reasons.

I personally have always favoured European unity but strongly believe the EU needs a great deal of reforming.I also think that we should not have allowed the East European countries to join so soon and am completely opposed to Turkey being allowed to join.

I make no comment on whether or not there should be monetary union; I am not an economist and don't know enough to have an informed opinion. The only thing I would say is that talk of Britain's 'traditional money' in a debate about this is completely out of place.Britain's 'traditional money' came to an end when we went decimal as those of us old enough to remember threepenny bits on pocket-money day know! (just enough for a sherbert dip)

Dont think we should withdraw fully from europe . We need them for economic reasons . They need us . Ditching the pound and going for the euro ?? utter madness and i hope this never happens . What david Cameron has done today is bang on. I not a fan of him at all and think sometimes he is a bit naieve politically . Hoever having said that he has come out and said that this new treaty was not good for the UK , and as such never signed up for it . good stuff im glad he never because in my opinion it would have meant us paying more for the euro zones fuck ups . He has done the right thing and put his country first , will it lead to a two tier europe ? hopefully not but either way we will always be a major player in the euro zone . I would like to have some powers back from brussels and think that the back benchers on that score were right .

Where is Europe again?

that dark shadowy body of land over the water to the east

"It's not as simple as that. We're ensconced within Europe so deeply that to reverse out of it would cost us £billions. Our biggest trade partner is the Eurozone and you can rest assured that Europhiles wouldn't hesitate to restrict trade with the UK from Europe if we pulled out.

Even if we did, we're members of the IMF so how could we stop any money we pay to that body being used to assist Europe?

We need to remain in the EU, but before we ever consider any form of monetary union the Eurozone has to eradicate the corruption that is inherent within it.

And yes, a referendum must be a prerequisite before going in. One where the result stands, not one where the result doesn't stand until we say yes."

Wow, hasn't my opinion changed in 22 weeks lol

I wouldn't piss on Europe if it was on fire now.

a rare thing we agree on there lol

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

No idea.

Politicians can make these difficult decisions, that's what they were elected for.

Lets have a mini referendum .............

Bring back the original Isigonis design ans put the rest in the scrap yard.

All in favour .............. ?

"that dark shadowy body of land over the water to the east "

aha that is not South Shields then?

» Add a new message to this topic