FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > packaging

packaging

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i know its essential for promotional aspects, but i bought a small toy for my little one and the box was excessivly big and the toy was pinned into the box by 8 twiddly bits of metal/wire.. urghhh

i think back to xmas and how much waste i had then too. As a customer we pay for the packaging that we throw away because we dont want the boxes etc..

i also find excess packaging in supermarket food products too.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I hate the toys where you need a screw driver to remove the last little bit of packaging held on with a screw..... grrrrrrr

By *stwoCouple  over a year ago

anywhere

Packaging is also very confusing.Bought a 1sr bday card fpr our grandson got it home took the packaging off and inside it said not suitable for children under 36 month old.That really confused me.

"I hate the toys where you need a screw driver to remove the last little bit of packaging held on with a screw..... grrrrrrr "

i had something similar at xmas with a sing a long train.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I quite like excessively big boxes.

I hate all the packaging in supermarkets too...

I do try to buy loose fruit and veg and carry it in my own bag or basket.

Same with meat from the butchers, or bread from the bakers better if wrapped in just paper till I get it home.

Many years ago when shopping was done this way, coal fires disposed of the wrappings.

Buying daily from local shops cuts down some packaging but not everyone goes to their local shops daily.

Unfortunately with bulk buying, lots of stuff is or can be frozen and packaged to withstand transportation and freezing.

Last year i had all new furniture, did the entire house...even the new corner units came in a box, followed by cardboard then plastic sheeting. In all...i filled my entire garden with packaging and had to have a skip to remove it all.

theres a town round here that have banned carrier bags which i think is ace

i used to do the big monthly shop but found i was buying far too much and the majority was just being stocked up in my cupboards

i now change that to buying things for a few days, meaning veg and fruit is always fresh,, and there is something soooooo much nicer about bread from a bakery yum yum

By *oftyladnloftyladyCouple  over a year ago

worcester

deffo to much plastic packaging there's nowt the matter with a paper bag that is a lot greener, and as for the single items in a heat sealed shaped plastic moulding when you need to buy a few you got more waste that is hard to get into.

The packaging is a big problem you are right.

I put it down to often stuff having to be transported from the other side of the world.

I wonder in future as transport gets dearer and dearer whether the world will get smaller and we will get back to locally sourced goods and food.

I know some people are doing it already.

"theres a town round here that have banned carrier bags which i think is ace

i used to do the big monthly shop but found i was buying far too much and the majority was just being stocked up in my cupboards

i now change that to buying things for a few days, meaning veg and fruit is always fresh,, and there is something soooooo much nicer about bread from a bakery yum yum

"

i used to love using carrier bags as kites...i was poor lol

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

By law, you are entitled to leave excess packaging at the till when you buy stuff, should see their faces!!!!

pulled this bird once, and went back to hers. Took her wig off, false eyelashes, padded bra, support tights, platform shoes, fookin' 'ell I was well pissed off

Nothing like it said on the box

"i know its essential for promotional aspects, but i bought a small toy for my little one and the box was excessivly big and the toy was pinned into the box by 8 twiddly bits of metal/wire.. urghhh

i think back to xmas and how much waste i had then too. As a customer we pay for the packaging that we throw away because we dont want the boxes etc..

i also find excess packaging in supermarket food products too. "

Do you not recycle? In some european countries you can take all the packaging back to the shops you purchased the item from and its their responsibility to get rid of it!

yeah throughout Devon we have a successful recycling process.. but manufacturers should cut down on their useage of packaging.

"yeah throughout Devon we have a successful recycling process.. but manufacturers should cut down on their useage of packaging. "

They need to soon as part of the EU Waste Minimisation Directive.

God i need to get a life!!!

In one of the European countries, Germany I believe, supermarkets provide a facility to let you unpack everything after you've gone through the checkout and leave the boxes/plastic etc there. Good idea I thought.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

We have a fortnightly collection for recyclables ie paper, cardboard, glass, plastic & tins but polystyrene seems to be in the same class as asbestos!

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Grow yer own organics. Where possible obviously, beef is a bit tricky.

Nature's packaging at best.

[Removed by poster at 21/06/11 21:22:17]

We have a recycling scheme (or should I say we have a waste separation scheme?). 2 bins and 2 boxes which are collected fortnightly.

I'm not sure how true this is but I did hear that it was a massive waste of time as the council weren't doing anything different with it all. It all ends up in the same place together

They also say that we're running out of landfill space for all this rubbish to be dumped.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who disposes of the rubbish. It still has to go somewhere. Less packaging is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

" Less packaging is definitely the way to go in my opinion. "

Agree absolutely.

From now on, all femaleys should stop wearing pants and bras.

" Less packaging is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Agree absolutely.

"

Shouldn't that be "+1"?

In Germany you can leave the outer packaging at the supermarket where you buy the stuff. plus you can bring your tupperware to the butchers to put in your meat to avoid using packaging.

England is far behind other countries with recycling ...

"In Germany you can leave the outer packaging at the supermarket where you buy the stuff. plus you can bring your tupperware to the butchers to put in your meat to avoid using packaging.

"

very much in agreement, Ive been buying foreign used condoms online for years!-makes me feel I'm part of something bigger hehhee

"In Germany you can leave the outer packaging at the supermarket where you buy the stuff. plus you can bring your tupperware to the butchers to put in your meat to avoid using packaging.

very much in agreement, Ive been buying foreign used condoms online for years!-makes me feel I need something much smaller hehhee"

» Add a new message to this topic