FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Most hated piece of gym equipment

Most hated piece of gym equipment

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I hated the gym but I have to get rid of my tummy to achieve a bikini body in 7 weeks (yeah I know I live in fantasy land).

So I went to the torture chamber last night and joined properly to ensure ill go regularly. I really hate it. Had been eyeing up the bikes and thought they would be easier as I'm sitting down, but no they hurt, as do the cross trainer and running thing which I all but fell off as my legs had gone to jelly. I thought the rower would be ok too but no, again that bloody thing hurts.

And the contraptions with weights attached, I can only have the lowest weights possible.

So what do you hate the most, I think for me its the rower.

Oh and does anyone know how long a complete novice should spend on each one. I was 10 mins on each. And what are those big space hopper beach balls for?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

I've never been to a gym, but I have to drive past one - makes me feel quite breathless

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You should have a training plan worked out for you, remember not to over do anything as you will end up sore or hurt yourself, ask a trainer for a plan and tell them what you want to achieve.

The big balls are to remind you what your butt will look like if you don't keep the exercise up

[Removed by poster at 08/06/11 07:23:47]

Just keep at it, you will start to feel the benefits soon enough

I used to do a cardio-vascular routine which involved moving from machine to machine doing 1-minute burnouts on each.

You pick a machine like a rower, x-trainer, running machine to increase your stamina and alternate with a strength building machine like weights, bench press etc.

Do a 30-machine routine and, given the 30 seconds it will take to transfer to the next machine, you get a full 45 minute workout. When you start each machine you have to give it all you have for the whole minute. The rest periods between each ensure you don't tire so quickly.

for a novice starting at the gym a personal training plan should be discussed with a qualified member of staff. they will then help devise a programme based around your goal

personally i see exercise as a long term plan rather than a quick fix

good look and enjoy

To be honest I was too ashamed to have the fit guy come over to me. I will get a personal plan worked out though as there's no point in doing what I think as I know nothing about it.

"To be honest I was too ashamed to have the fit guy come over to me. I will get a personal plan worked out though as there's no point in doing what I think as I know nothing about it. "
Are you sure you don't want a fit guy coming over you

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"To be honest I was too ashamed to have the fit guy come over to me. I will get a personal plan worked out though as there's no point in doing what I think as I know nothing about it. "

Just don't do what I did.. Sign up for a gym go a few times then not go and I got stuck in a contract so had to pay...

i think if its just losing weight your after i'd jog or walk i've lost afair bit of weight recently myself and cycling was ok but nothing shifted the weight like jogging did.plus running and cycling in the gym can get boring very quickly as its all in doors and the same view all the time.try getting a partner to run or walk with you as a bit of motivation.in the end its all down to how bad you wanna lose it

good luck

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I know this will seem odd coming from a fatty, exercise advise from someone the size of a house lol

You want to do low weight high reps if you want to burn off fat etc as high weights will just build muscle up.

Also set the treadmill in a slight gradient if you can. Most machines nowadays will have settings where it alternates between fast and slow. This is really good for fat burning as your body will still think its working hard when you are in the slow bits.

Like most have said it really is best to get a personal plan worked out with an instructor.

And the big balls are there for core stability. Great to have one round the house. Sit in it while watching tv and you'll be working your core without even knowing it

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Gym Equipment?

Hate all of it

Seriously, due to various permanent medical ailments or conditions, I'm very much restricted in what I could use, so all I can use would be a cycle on the lowest setting.

I'm not allowed to use weights, I'm banned from running or high impact exercise.

Don't mention swimming, as I swim like a brick; straight down to the bottom of the pool I even need water wings in the bath!!

I have a stress ball I use each day

Yep a trainer advising you of a routine to suit, and what i did was just build on it, when i first tried a jog on a treadmill it was 5 mins and utterly outa puff, now its up in pace and i do 20mins, treadmill with a TV to watch is best, a treadmill with a wall to look at might just be The most boring test of will power ever invented,lol

once you get your training plan sorted, you need to get the mindset, because if your head is not right, if the desire or intent is not there, you will struggle and will not want to go.

Set yourself achievable targets, look longterm, combine your routine with a diet plan and you will soon be on the road to success.

If exercise is alien to you, you may need to prioritise your time so that it becomes part of everyday life.

Best of luck, but stick with it and you will do it

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I hated the gym but I have to get rid of my tummy to achieve a bikini body in 7 weeks (yeah I know I live in fantasy land).

So I went to the torture chamber last night and joined properly to ensure ill go regularly. I really hate it. Had been eyeing up the bikes and thought they would be easier as I'm sitting down, but no they hurt, as do the cross trainer and running thing which I all but fell off as my legs had gone to jelly. I thought the rower would be ok too but no, again that bloody thing hurts.

And the contraptions with weights attached, I can only have the lowest weights possible.

Oh and does anyone know how long a complete novice should spend on each one. I was 10 mins on each. And what are those big space hopper beach balls for? "

You can ask someone in the gym to help you. If you ask for an assessment they'll take you through all the machines and write you a program so you know what weights you should be liftin, how many minutes on each machine and what levels.

When I'm determined then ill go for it. A couple of years ago I went regularly to the gym, whilst I was always grateful to see the timer creeping steadily on to the end of the workout, I prefer equipment to jogging outside which I'd never do.

I didn't loose loads of weight before but my figure changed. I was really curvy. I'd like to loose some weight but having my tummy a bit flatter and becoming more shapely is more important to me

The showers are fun and the towel flicking in the changing rooms can be challenging if you are a novice also try to get in front of the mirror with the hair dryer in good time to beat the weight lifters cos they tend to tease you and not let you have it...

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I hate cock press ups.

I hate the front door. Won't go near it.

in the night garden

"I hate the front door. Won't go near it."

Agoraphobic?

I miss going to the gym, but I'm under doctors orders and it's pissing me off at the mo

"I hated the gym but I have to get rid of my tummy to achieve a bikini body in 7 weeks (yeah I know I live in fantasy land).

Oh and does anyone know how long a complete novice should spend on each one. I was 10 mins on each. And what are those big space hopper beach balls for? "

Always best to get a training plan from someone at the gym. Many have trainers that will help and sort you a balanced routine out.

"I hate the front door. Won't go near it.

Agoraphobic?"

The font door of the gym, not my front door!

in the night garden

"I hate the front door. Won't go near it.

Agoraphobic?

The font door of the gym, not my front door!"

Tut! Silly me!

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

Find JIM's Eqipment instead of the gym's

"I used to do a cardio-vascular routine which involved moving from machine to machine doing 1-minute burnouts on each.

You pick a machine like a rower, x-trainer, running machine to increase your stamina and alternate with a strength building machine like weights, bench press etc.

Do a 30-machine routine and, given the 30 seconds it will take to transfer to the next machine, you get a full 45 minute workout. When you start each machine you have to give it all you have for the whole minute. The rest periods between each ensure you don't tire so quickly."

Telling a complete beginner to do HIIT is going to end in disaster.

Either get one of the gym trainers to sort you a sensible programme or better yet have a qualified L3 personal trainer design you a programme.

You will save a bunch of time. Good luck with it.

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

The door in...

Try an airwalker . they a little easier than xtrainers.

Im sat looking at mine as i type. ten mins on it soon and another this evening if me legs still working

For those looking to lose fat mass, no amount of exercise will work as far as a good balanced diet.

No point exercising if you just fuelling yourself with the wrong type of foods and liquids.

Seek a good nutritionist to study your eating habits, and then follow their advise and guidence to eating and drinking properly.

Then just do 30 mins of exercise a day that raises your heartbeat to make you sweat.

Thats the problem with most weight problems.. its not the lack of exercise, its the amount of calories and the type that you consume!

Did you know a pint of beer has approx 200 calories of which most are simple sugars (carbs). 200 calories is approximately 20 mins steady cycling.

A simple binge drink on a friday night you could consume over 2000 bad calories (simple sugars) - thats nearly 200 mins on a cycle (3 hours!)

When you start looking at how many bad calories a product of food has, and you realise how long that takes to work off - it completely puts of off eating bad foods sugary stuff, simple carbs (white bread etc), and forces to to eat right.

Oh, loosing weight (fat mass) is much more than eating right and exercising, its a lifestyle change.

Because if you start eating right, and exercising get the to the shape you want, and then go back to your old ways.. your just go straight back to your old figure and beyond..

The most hated bit of gym equipment.

Well, that's easy the Mobile Phone!

Everyone is on one, as they SIT on the bit of equipment I want to use, which they are not using but chatting.

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

the front doors!

"Gym Equipment?

Hate all of it

Seriously, due to various permanent medical ailments or conditions, I'm very much restricted in what I could use, so all I can use would be a cycle on the lowest setting.

I'm not allowed to use weights, I'm banned from running or high impact exercise.

Don't mention swimming, as I swim like a brick; straight down to the bottom of the pool I even need water wings in the bath!!

I have a stress ball I use each day "

so sex is out the question also?

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple  over a year ago

horwich

You don't need the gym. Get out in the fresh air. Nothing better than climbing the hills, it's free and you get to experience some of the countryside beautiful scenery. Drag the other half because there is always the opportunity for some naughty alfresco. Oh but you must take a flask of milky coffee, nothing tastes quite like it

"For those looking to lose fat mass, no amount of exercise will work as far as a good balanced diet.

No point exercising if you just fuelling yourself with the wrong type of foods and liquids.

Seek a good nutritionist to study your eating habits, and then follow their advise and guidence to eating and drinking properly.

Then just do 30 mins of exercise a day that raises your heartbeat to make you sweat.

Thats the problem with most weight problems.. its not the lack of exercise, its the amount of calories and the type that you consume!

Did you know a pint of beer has approx 200 calories of which most are simple sugars (carbs). 200 calories is approximately 20 mins steady cycling.

A simple binge drink on a friday night you could consume over 2000 bad calories (simple sugars) - thats nearly 200 mins on a cycle (3 hours!)

When you start looking at how many bad calories a product of food has, and you realise how long that takes to work off - it completely puts of off eating bad foods sugary stuff, simple carbs (white bread etc), and forces to to eat right.

"

I dont want to lose fat mass so I dont need any nutritional information - I know enough. Im not bothered if I lose weight or not.

I know that the gym works for me because it has done before. I hate exercise, I find it boring, Id rather be reading but going to the gym 3 times a week and then using a few weights and a series of sit ups worked wonders for my waist and hips last time. My waist really shrank, such a noticable difference. I have lost my level of fitness as I gave it up when the gym closed down and didnt go back, but it didnt half give me more pronounced curves.

climbing up that bldy rope, put me right off. Shame really.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Gym Equipment?

Hate all of it

I have a stress ball I use each day

so sex is out the question also? "

No, that's how I get my exercise

It has to be the one the fat sweaty person has just used and not wiped down.

what i hate the most is them stair things

They just like 4 steps that revolve so you walking up a never ending flight of stairs, and they a killer, i can just about manage 10 mins on a fast walk and tho that may not sound a lot...bloody try it lol

I'm hearing great things about a fitness programe called p90x, you do it at home its a 3 month course, expensive to buy unless ya download via torrent 44gb all done with dvd's

them all, there all out dated

gym wont upgrade till new center arrive so wont go back again till they do

I actually loved the rower when i went, everything else was too hard just cannot afford to go anymore

Joined the gym there 7 weeks ago.

Like one lady said spend as little as possible on all machines. If you hate the rower don't do it but you will want to when you get fitter.

I HATE THE CROSSTRAINER

I do 10 mins jog/sprint on treadmill 10 mins bike 10 mins rower.... 4-5 times a week

On the treadmill, do intervals of walking for 2mins and sprinting for 30 seconds.

Force yourself to go and you'll get addicted and be dying to go!

P.S don't forget diet has to change. I didn't change my diet and I didn't lose weight, just toned and lost fat

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

the only thing i like in the gym is the dummy thingy that you box, not sure the proper name for it, but it has numerous lights and u have to punch where it lights up

mr a joined the gym a few months ago again, and he loves it

I enjoy the gym but go with my mates and always a good motivation on days dont feel like it as know they are going! I mainly do weights though as do a lot of cv through the week cause I play a lot of football and run a lot too!!

Get a gym programme but also I reccomend mixing up your routine to stop it being boring! Gym I use has lots of free group sessions like boxercise and zumba so try doing something like that once a week, also things like swimming etc, just breaks up the routine and you will soon feel the benefit

» Add a new message to this topic