FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Rent or sell advice please

Rent or sell advice please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iscean Male OP   Man  over a year ago

Darlaston

Some pointers what you would do in my situation...

I brought my flat 10 years ago to get onto the ladder. 10 years later I now want to buy a house.

Would you sell the flat, take equity out as deposit for house (around 30k), or keep flat, re mortgage and rent flat out as future investment. I dont have enough savings for a new deposit so I need to re mortage.

Any help or advice appreciated as to what you would do and why

Thanks in advance.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It all depends on whether you have time or motivation to manage the rental or if your happy to leave it with an agent. In my experience leaving it with an agents just leads to trouble as they are only interested in the commission.

Also I find it's only beneficial if you don't have a mortgage, so your actually making some money because the maintenance cost can soon stack up

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I would sell and buy a bigger property because a) it's bigger and b) you're more likely to 'earn' more per year with it going up in value in proportion to the price you paid than rental income.

Darlaston

"It all depends on whether you have time or motivation to manage the rental or if your happy to leave it with an agent. In my experience leaving it with an agents just leads to trouble as they are only interested in the commission.

Also I find it's only beneficial if you don't have a mortgage, so your actually making some money because the maintenance cost can soon stack up

"

Thankyou. The renting part and all the scare stories I hear concern me..

Darlaston

"I would sell and buy a bigger property because a) it's bigger and b) you're more likely to 'earn' more per year with it going up in value in proportion to the price you paid than rental income."

Thanks. I am so confused. A big house would be great but with 1 income I dont want to be like some of my friends who got the big houses and now cant afford the nice things in life due to big mortgages..

I wouldn't remortgage in order to rent the place out. Also, we rented out our house for a few years before we sold it and it was a fucking hassle. We didn't have an agent, so we did everything - the profit was nice but it wasn't worth my time.

Do you need a big house?

Darlaston

I dont need a big house no.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I dont need a big house no."

You could be a landlord though.....get them to pay the mortgage.

I've got a few properties that I rent out, it can be fairly hassle free if you have a management company to look after them but as others have said it can be a pain in the ass.

If you choose to rent then vett your tenants and take no shit from them

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I started buying and renting property quite a while ago now with my thought process along the lines of so long as the rent is paying all my cost by the end of it I'll be out of all my outlays and be able to sell all the property when I'm ready to retire nice and early with a nice wod of cast to enjoy my retirement extremely comfortable and on the whole it's been bumpy at times but all well on the other hand my biggest nightmare has been bad tennents. I've lost count how many I've avited now or how many thousands I've spent on legal bills court costs and unpaid rent. If I sat and work it out my hair would instantly turn white I guarantee it. Then when you get some of this animals out your property the repair are always fanominal. The only thing that's saved my arse is important compatant at anything building work plumbing kitchens leopards the you name it so my only outlay is only ever materials. The down side to this is I can't now remember last time I had something going on in had to sort out somewhere so yes I'll retire nice and early as I've planned but my life as taken the brunt of it all and I knackered. I'm now selling up as they become empty because money has no meaning if I drop down dead of a heart attack from the constant hasle. It all looks fantastic on paper I agree but take my advice it's purely not worth the hassle and stress. Sell the flat and keep your life mate

Manchester

"I started buying and renting property quite a while ago now with my thought process along the lines of so long as the rent is paying all my cost by the end of it I'll be out of all my outlays and be able to sell all the property when I'm ready to retire nice and early with a nice wod of cast to enjoy my retirement extremely comfortable and on the whole it's been bumpy at times but all well on the other hand my biggest nightmare has been bad tennents. I've lost count how many I've avited now or how many thousands I've spent on legal bills court costs and unpaid rent. If I sat and work it out my hair would instantly turn white I guarantee it. Then when you get some of this animals out your property the repair are always fanominal. The only thing that's saved my arse is important compatant at anything building work plumbing kitchens leopards the you name it so my only outlay is only ever materials. The down side to this is I can't now remember last time I had something going on in had to sort out somewhere so yes I'll retire nice and early as I've planned but my life as taken the brunt of it all and I knackered. I'm now selling up as they become empty because money has no meaning if I drop down dead of a heart attack from the constant hasle. It all looks fantastic on paper I agree but take my advice it's purely not worth the hassle and stress. Sell the flat and keep your life mate "

And proof read your posts if you have a Samsung phone

Darlaston

Renting sounds soo un appealing and ringing true with the scare stories I have heard too

"

I'm now selling up as they become empty because money has no meaning if I drop down dead of a heart attack from the constant hasle. "

If it's affecting your health then get out mate

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 21/11/16 21:54:21]

Manchester

"

I'm now selling up as they become empty because money has no meaning if I drop down dead of a heart attack from the constant hasle.

If it's affecting your health then get out mate"

It's Nothing serious but who knows what's round the corner is all I mean and I already decided that's what I'm doing. Hmm mm Alderley edge wona buy any rentals

"

I'm now selling up as they become empty because money has no meaning if I drop down dead of a heart attack from the constant hasle.

It's Nothing serious but who knows what's round the corner is all I mean and I already decided that's what I'm doing. Hmm mm Alderley edge wona buy any rentals "

not looking for anymore at the moment, made a move into commercial last year and took a hit on it big time

Manchester

"

It's Nothing serious but who knows what's round the corner is all I mean and I already decided that's what I'm doing. Hmm mm Alderley edge wona buy any rentals

not looking for anymore at the moment, made a move into commercial last year and took a hit on it big time"

Awch sounds painful. Hope all works out mate

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

I can only ask Blazey but are leopards easy to plumb in a kitchen and can you use the same in a bathroom or do you have to get the appropriate leopard for the room?

Manchester

"I can only ask Blazey but are leopards easy to plumb in a kitchen and can you use the same in a bathroom or do you have to get the appropriate leopard for the room? "

Blazey that reminds me I've not returned your veri will get on it tonight

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

"I can only ask Blazey but are leopards easy to plumb in a kitchen and can you use the same in a bathroom or do you have to get the appropriate leopard for the room?

Blazey that reminds me I've not returned your veri will get on it tonight "

Bloody autocarrot

» Add a new message to this topic