FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > seriously wet...

seriously wet...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *trawberry-pop OP   Woman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Shed. Yes I said shed... My shed is soaked. It's brick and concrete constructed, I think the issue is mainly due to the fact that my garden slopes down.

Earlier in the year I dug a trench and put some drainage in but it's clearly not been enough.

Does anyone have any other tips as to how I can prevent a soggy shed again in future?!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

Stand by it, with a couple of umbrellas?

South East Midlands NOT

"Stand by it, with a couple of umbrellas?"

But the water comes in from the ground!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/11/16 20:24:20]

[Removed by poster at 21/11/16 20:25:52]

South East Midlands NOT

"[Removed by poster at 21/11/16 20:25:52]"

Well those answers were disappointing!

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

So the shed is at the bottom of a slope and water is still coming in.. You did say it was on a concrete base with drainage... Think the shed needs raising slightly or drainage ain't draining

South East Midlands NOT

"So the shed is at the bottom of a slope and water is still coming in.. You did say it was on a concrete base with drainage... Think the shed needs raising slightly or drainage ain't draining "

How do you raise a brick shed?!

By *nequeenslutWoman  over a year ago

rugeley

"So the shed is at the bottom of a slope and water is still coming in.. You did say it was on a concrete base with drainage... Think the shed needs raising slightly or drainage ain't draining

How do you raise a brick shed?! "

you don't you lower the garden around the shed but make sure the shed not at the lowest point

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"So the shed is at the bottom of a slope and water is still coming in.. You did say it was on a concrete base with drainage... Think the shed needs raising slightly or drainage ain't draining

How do you raise a brick shed?! "

Put some more bricks under it.

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

you don't you lower the garden around the shed but make sure the shed not at the lowest point "

That's what I meant.. Didn't word correctly sorry... Possibly coat with weather seal waterproofing... Or equivalent brand

South East Midlands NOT

"

Useful if it wasn't a permanent structure!

South East Midlands NOT

you don't you lower the garden around the shed but make sure the shed not at the lowest point

That's what I meant.. Didn't word correctly sorry... Possibly coat with weather seal waterproofing... Or equivalent brand "

It might actually be possible to dig the garden. I think part of the problem might also be clay soil as it really holds on to the water.

Useful if it wasn't a permanent structure! "

If it's a permanent structure, temporary water shouldn't be an issue!

Relabel it "pool house"?

South East Midlands NOT

Relabel it "pool house"?"

Animals live in it, so yeah it's an issue!

Dig around it to a depth of 2-3 feet. Fill space with plastic milk crates..stone/brick on top then returf. Should be a decent soakaway. That's assuming the water is coming 'down' rather than 'up'

By *andsonjohnMan  over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

"Shed. Yes I said shed... My shed is soaked. It's brick and concrete constructed, I think the issue is mainly due to the fact that my garden slopes down.

Earlier in the year I dug a trench and put some drainage in but it's clearly not been enough.

Does anyone have any other tips as to how I can prevent a soggy shed again in future?! "

don't sit on it while you on fab perving

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"Shed. Yes I said shed... My shed is soaked. It's brick and concrete constructed, I think the issue is mainly due to the fact that my garden slopes down.

Does anyone have any other tips as to how I can prevent a soggy shed again in future?! "

I presume you have been told to dig a trench and put drainage into it

depending on your slope and also the pipe used in draining the water into a drain

you would need something like 4" drain pipe and also pebbles around the pipe

you can use proper drainage systems at 3" but these can become overflooded in heavy rain

made even worse by rain water washing down the slope can bridge the drain off part

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Relabel it "pool house"?

Animals live in it, so yeah it's an issue! "

What animals?

Couldn't you bung some pallets down so they are effectively on slats/chuck some straw on that.

This post sponsored by the "won't baler twine do?" school of farming...

Fuxx this shitty clickbait title.

I clicked it.

South East Midlands NOT

Relabel it "pool house"?

What animals?

Couldn't you bung some pallets down so they are effectively on slats/chuck some straw on that.

This post sponsored by the "won't baler twine do?" school of farming..."

It's not the ground water itself which is the problem, it's the damp in the air which is the problem. Not good for any breathing creature to breath damp air for a prolonged period of time.

South East Midlands NOT

Does anyone have any other tips as to how I can prevent a soggy shed again in future?!

I presume you have been told to dig a trench and put drainage into it

depending on your slope and also the pipe used in draining the water into a drain

you would need something like 4" drain pipe and also pebbles around the pipe

you can use proper drainage systems at 3" but these can become overflooded in heavy rain

made even worse by rain water washing down the slope can bridge the drain off part "

I dug a trench in the summer and filled it with pea shingle. There isn't a drainage pipe as that wasn't part of advice I was previously given.

Hereford

Relabel it "pool house"?

What animals?

It's not the ground water itself which is the problem, it's the damp in the air which is the problem. Not good for any breathing creature to breath damp air for a prolonged period of time. "

Depends on the creature. We live in Britain, its fucking damp. Couldn't you knock a few bricks out at the top/bottom to help air circulate? Most modern barns are yorkshire board for this very reason.

"It's not the ground water itself which is the problem, it's the damp in the air which is the problem. Not good for any breathing creature to breath damp air for a prolonged period of time. "

Since you indulged my pisstakes so patiently, does a dehumidifier sound like a solution? Presume you'll need a battery powered one, not sure if such a thing exists though.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Sheds?!!

Eff eff ess!

You're supposed to be swingers!

South East Midlands NOT

"It's not the ground water itself which is the problem, it's the damp in the air which is the problem. Not good for any breathing creature to breath damp air for a prolonged period of time.

Since you indulged my pisstakes so patiently, does a dehumidifier sound like a solution? Presume you'll need a battery powered one, not sure if such a thing exists though."

I think it's gone past the point of any king of dehumidifier helping unfortunately. That said I don't know how effective they are!

Hereford

What animals are we talking?

Are u sure it's not due to damp in the air? May I suggest a dehumidifier for the colder months? X

They are extremely effective!!

South East Midlands NOT

Relabel it "pool house"?

What animals?

It's not the ground water itself which is the problem, it's the damp in the air which is the problem. Not good for any breathing creature to breath damp air for a prolonged period of time.

Depends on the creature. We live in Britain, its fucking damp. Couldn't you knock a few bricks out at the top/bottom to help air circulate? Most modern barns are yorkshire board for this very reason. "

There's a window which is always open and the door isn't airtight (it's on the other side of the slope!) but that doesn't make any difference. The bricks/concrete are porous now so the water just seeps in. I will look into painting it in the spring.

And yes u can get battery ones , I'd suggest hiring one tho not buying

South East Midlands NOT

"Are u sure it's not due to damp in the air? May I suggest a dehumidifier for the colder months? X"

No its not damp in the air.

South East Midlands NOT

"And yes u can get battery ones , I'd suggest hiring one tho not buying "

Why?!

Not worth forking out as they can break easily , just hire one October through to Feb and ul be ok , trust me I hire them out hahah and I'm not just trying to get u to buy from me x

"Are u sure it's not due to damp in the air? May I suggest a dehumidifier for the colder months? X

No its not damp in the air. "

Sorry, but you did specifically say that it was.

And I don't understand how painting the walls will help.

Taking the thread seriously has not gone well for me

bradford

"I dug a trench in the summer and filled it with pea shingle. There isn't a drainage pipe as that wasn't part of advice I was previously given. "

there should have been a drain pipe to aid in its drain off of the water otherwise all your doing is digging a hole for water to gather at this point therefore wasting your time as it will still reach your shed

air movement is the key in a damp shed by change of air

dehumidifiers only come into there own when there within a sealed area work really well within a house

I have an industrial one

they can work well in a shed to dry it out only after youve cured the water problem

movement of hot air can aid a damp shed but can also cause the problem as well due to heat hitting colds walls

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan  over a year ago

Willenhall

You really need to identify the source of the damp.

Windows and other forms of ventilation only equalise humidity; they do not necessarily decrease it. Having an open window, vent etc. on a hot summers day will have the effect of decreasing humidity as the hot outside air will have less humidity than the air inside. On a cold, damp autumn day the opposite is true as the outside humidity is likely very high. However, you will always need some level of ventilation if animals are kept in the structure.

If the problem is groundwater then the foundations of the structure itself are probably inadequate provided you have already ruled out rainwater drainage from the structure as an issue. It depends on the size of the structure whether this can be remedied or not...

South East Midlands NOT

"Are u sure it's not due to damp in the air? May I suggest a dehumidifier for the colder months? X

No its not damp in the air.

Sorry, but you did specifically say that it was.

And I don't understand how painting the walls will help.

Taking the thread seriously has not gone well for me "

I said the water comes in? The shed is physically wet. Like wet. Not like a little bit of condensation/damp in the air.

bradford

I need some info from you

when you dug the trench did you have a run off lower than the pebbles for the water to go somewhere

if not a drain should have been used if you could connect to a drain

if its rising damp caused by the above your not going to be able to stop it other than using the above methods and the water seal below this will lower the symptoms to a good degree

as goes for painting dont a waste your money on paint on the brick walls

you need to use thompsons water seal or similar but that needs doing every 2 years one coat is good enough but 2 coats are better but must be recoated within 1/2 an hr.

use a big brush we use a pump on spray

other than insulating the shed and allowing free movement of air behind the boards but that comes at a cost for some gear

By *ovesex79Man  over a year ago

willenhall

Put some lime stone chippings under your drainage and just before it that's what I use for soak aways xx

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Shed thread

South East Midlands NOT

"I need some info from you

when you dug the trench did you have a run off lower than the pebbles for the water to go somewhere

if not a drain should have been used if you could connect to a drain

if its rising damp caused by the above your not going to be able to stop it other than using the above methods and the water seal below this will lower the symptoms to a good degree

as goes for painting dont a waste your money on paint on the brick walls

you need to use thompsons water seal or similar but that needs doing every 2 years one coat is good enough but 2 coats are better but must be recoated within 1/2 an hr.

use a big brush we use a pump on spray

other than insulating the shed and allowing free movement of air behind the boards but that comes at a cost for some gear "

I can't really answer you! All I can say is I dug about 3 bricks down from the ground line and filled it with pea shingle. That's what I was advised to do. I don't know what you mean by run off. All I know is what I've said!

bradford

a run off is like your kitchen sink and bath with the overflow pipe so it dosnt overflow over your sink top

what you might have done is create a trough of water like your sink with no drain off

you need something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmmdGiEh1Mw

South East Midlands NOT

" a run off is like your kitchen sink and bath with the overflow pipe so it dosnt overflow over your sink top

what you might have done is create a trough of water like your sink with no drain off

you need something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmmdGiEh1Mw"

Thanks, will view when I'm not at work.

Hello

Problem could be that you dig perimeter of the building and leave. This 50% of works another step is take away excess of water sitting in gravel you need to dig similar trench leading away from building perimeter trench ( they must be connected) then water will be flowing away from building perimeter. If it raising damp then another step is put DPM down and screed. Your shed walls probably do not have DPC then if you do not want rebuild your shed only option is wall tanking. Probably is better to knock down and rebuild. Remember that animals exhale steam and you can seal shed to tight. Dehumidifier idea in open air it not works it only works in closed buildings but animals need air to breathe.

South East Midlands NOT

"Hello

Problem could be that you dig perimeter of the building and leave. This 50% of works another step is take away excess of water sitting in gravel you need to dig similar trench leading away from building perimeter trench ( they must be connected) then water will be flowing away from building perimeter. If it raising damp then another step is put DPM down and screed. Your shed walls probably do not have DPC then if you do not want rebuild your shed only option is wall tanking. Probably is better to knock down and rebuild. Remember that animals exhale steam and you can seal shed to tight. Dehumidifier idea in open air it not works it only works in closed buildings but animals need air to breathe."

Thank you for your input.

The shed is connected to next doors shed so I can't knock it down to rebuild really.

So one wall is connected (imagine a block of 2 garages), one wall backs onto the wet earth/grass (where I've put my silly trench!) and the other 2 walls have concrete paths surrounding. The paths do slope away from the shed though. So I think it really is the wall where the earth/mud is the problem lies! Some of the bricks had moss growing on them which I think means the bricks have gone porous. Originally when I moved here there were massive bushes planted there and the earth was piled up above the slate damp course which obviously won't have helped!

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

[Removed by poster at 24/11/16 23:34:41]

bradford

"The shed is connected to next doors shed so I can't knock it down to rebuild really.

So one wall is connected (imagine a block of 2 garages), one wall backs onto the wet earth/grass (where I've put my silly trench!) and the other 2 walls have concrete paths surrounding. The paths do slope away from the shed though. So I think it really is the wall where the earth/mud is the problem lies! Some of the bricks had moss growing on them which I think means the bricks have gone porous. Originally when I moved here there were massive bushes planted there and the earth was piled up above the slate damp course which obviously won't have helped! "

its not a silly trench that you made it would have been correct if you had created a run off for the water to go somewhere

the advice was sound that you was told to do as long as you run off the water onto the concrete path ( if you could have done )

however in heavy rain it would still flood

I suspect a drain being plumbed in is also a no go due to the concrete path

is the soil higher than the concrete pathway?

By *xx1Man  over a year ago

"It's not the ground water itself which is the problem, it's the damp in the air which is the problem. Not good for any breathing creature to breath damp air for a prolonged period of time.

Since you indulged my pisstakes so patiently, does a dehumidifier sound like a solution? Presume you'll need a battery powered one, not sure if such a thing exists though.

I think it's gone past the point of any king of dehumidifier helping unfortunately. That said I don't know how effective they are!"

Was a sufficient damp proof course integrated into the building?.... If not, apply dpc via injecting bricks.

X

South East Midlands NOT

I think it's gone past the point of any king of dehumidifier helping unfortunately. That said I don't know how effective they are!

Was a sufficient damp proof course integrated into the building?.... If not, apply dpc via injecting bricks.

X"

See my last post.

South East Midlands NOT

"The shed is connected to next doors shed so I can't knock it down to rebuild really.

So one wall is connected (imagine a block of 2 garages), one wall backs onto the wet earth/grass (where I've put my silly trench!) and the other 2 walls have concrete paths surrounding. The paths do slope away from the shed though. So I think it really is the wall where the earth/mud is the problem lies! Some of the bricks had moss growing on them which I think means the bricks have gone porous. Originally when I moved here there were massive bushes planted there and the earth was piled up above the slate damp course which obviously won't have helped!

its not a silly trench that you made it would have been correct if you had created a run off for the water to go somewhere

the advice was sound that you was told to do as long as you run off the water onto the concrete path ( if you could have done )

however in heavy rain it would still flood

I suspect a drain being plumbed in is also a no go due to the concrete path

is the soil higher than the concrete pathway?"

The soil is lower than the concrete path.

By *kgeminiMan  over a year ago

Southampton

There are some people in this thread who sound like they know what they are talking about. I suggest you pm them and send them some photos as trying to picture the shed and the issues are very difficult

South East Midlands NOT

"There are some people in this thread who sound like they know what they are talking about. I suggest you pm them and send them some photos as trying to picture the shed and the issues are very difficult "

Is it? And who are the people who know what they're talking about?

bradford

for the moss its either bleach and scrubbing brush or a power wash to get it off.

you could use the thompsons water seal this reflects water away from the wall it does work.

the pebbles that are in are just creating a trough for the water to collect at.

normally that method is used for drains or to collect it at one point theres no guarantee that a drain is low enough to drain the water into.

other than pumping it out

"Stand by it, with a couple of umbrellas?

But the water comes in from the ground! "

Hold the umbrellas upside down then...

OK had a bit of a skip read...

Animals create heat, single skin buildings create condensation, as the heat draws moisture in.

So you need to do this...

1 ensure your drainage trench extends at least a shed length away from the shed.

2 Shower proof the outside of the shed, this can be done with thompson waterseal through to waterproof render.

3 sort out ventilation, remove brick/s at bottom and top, replacing with air bricks.

4 Insulation, nothing too fancy needed, needs to be waterproof and stop the heat generated getting to the walls. polystyrene sheets are good, stick them directly to the walls then line the inside with 12 mm plywood, can screw directly to the brick through the polystyrene. make sure not to block the vents at all.

fancy a fuck?

» Add a new message to this topic